First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Do you think Ignorance is bliss?
2172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chicago-ILLINOIS
Offline
Posted 1/14/09
What are your opinions on ignorance?
Do you think Ignorance is bliss?
37708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / アメリカ
Offline
Posted 1/14/09
Has it really come down to making posts of common sayings...

Of course it is. If you dont know shit then you dont have any problems nor do you have any worries.

Say you are ugly but you dont know that you are. Would you worry about being ugly?
Posted 1/14/09
That's why you take the blue pill.
And stop watching "The Matrix".
13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 1/14/09
Idle hands are the devil's workshop.
Posted 1/14/09 , edited 11/9/09
The problem with this statement is that it comes from two pre-suppositions that are made indirectly by it.

First, the statement imples that what we most want is bliss- or happiness. But what about other goals such as justice? What about the landowners in the US during slaverly? They did not profit by freeing them, but they felt it was the just thing to do. Therefore bliss to many people is not the only goal of life. There are other aspects of life that we need, such as being just.

Second, the statement also implies ignorance is the only road to happiness. But ignorance from knowing what? There are many types of ignorance. It is true that we want to be ignorant of thing that bring us unhappiness but what of the things that bring happiness? One does not want to be ignorant of that. For example, history always tends to repeat itself it is therefore important to learn about history. If we take a radical way of looking at this, and imagine a person who is the most ignorant that means he would be the happiness. But, this type of person would be a person without memory he would be completely ignorant of everything. Just imagine being this person. Would loosing your memory completly bring you happiness?

The statemnet "ignorance is bliss" makes no sense.
Plato wrote that Socrates was convicted by the people of Athens for asking too many questions. He answered "the unexamined life is not worth living" (Apology). Socrates would have been allowed o live if he had agreed to stop asking questions. But he felt that not being able to ask questions was not living. Not being able to examine life was no more than being an animal. It is part of our makup to ask questions and examine our world.
Socrates did not agree to keep quiet. The court sentenced him to death.

my arguement for TOK class
2386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Wilson, NC
Offline
Posted 1/15/09
Yes, and no.

No, if it's concerns your job or money.
Yes, if it's something that will crush your ego.
4930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

sypris wrote:

Has it really come down to making posts of common sayings...

Of course it is. If you dont know shit then you dont have any problems nor do you have any worries.

Say you are ugly but you dont know that you are. Would you worry about being ugly?


I agree.
19731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
70 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 1/15/09
Does the pope shit in the woods? ................................ yes.
37798 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 1/15/09
-_-
Posted 1/15/09
yup
Posted 1/15/09
In Linkin Park's lyrics of One Step Closer:
I find bliss in ignorance.

37708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / アメリカ
Offline
Posted 1/15/09

kitoka wrote:


sypris wrote:

Has it really come down to making posts of common sayings...

Of course it is. If you dont know shit then you dont have any problems nor do you have any worries.

Say you are ugly but you dont know that you are. Would you worry about being ugly?


I agree.


Your hot so no worries there
Posted 1/15/09 , edited 1/15/09
" Ignorance is bliss," that saying would actually be more suited for a child. I miss those carefree days, but once you get older life smacks you in the face. Than again, now children even have things to worry about.

It's better to have knowledge than to not know anything at all.
Posted 1/15/09
It can be. To me, intelligence can lead to happiness.
Posted 1/15/09

sypris wrote:


kitoka wrote:


sypris wrote:

Has it really come down to making posts of common sayings...

Of course it is. If you dont know shit then you dont have any problems nor do you have any worries.

Say you are ugly but you dont know that you are. Would you worry about being ugly?


I agree.


Your hot so no worries there


I'd seen better.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.