Asian Holidays.
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
Take this as a suggestion thread. Crunchyroll has organised Holiday logo contest. The purpose of Crunchyroll is to host Asian videos. One who watches Asian stuff doesn't mean that they have to participate in its culture as well. But a majority of the users here are of different races/ nationalities and culture. Instead of just highlighting the western holidays e.g Christmas, shouldn't CR also highlight the Asian holidays too. Although Christmas is celebrated internationally, but the population is of different race. We'd be given a chance to celebrate other Asian holidays too. How to celebrate? Like the logo designing competition etc.

My question is, do you think that Crunchyroll should celebrate the major holidays of other races? If so, which ought to be considered.

P.s. the reason why I didn't make a poll is because people don't pay attention to polls.

If this thread is a duplicate/ provoking spam, please kindly remove it.

5355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
dats how i know the creator is a racist git!!!
Posted 1/16/09
I hear what you're saying here, but what about overlap? Unfortunately "asian" means a lot of nationalities with different holidays; following the holidays of the three major countries that used to provide content (Japan, Korea, China) would be an undertaking just below "onigiri" level effort. Then that'd bring up certain questions of why we don't include pacific islanders and india, and what do do when days overlap.

Google has the budget to do what you are bringing up. CR may be big, but I don't think "respect for the elderly day" is going to bring in a lot of logo submissions.
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09

gopherthegold wrote:

I hear what you're saying here, but what about overlap? Unfortunately "asian" means a lot of nationalities with different holidays; following the holidays of the three major countries that used to provide content (Japan, Korea, China) would be an undertaking just below "onigiri" level effort. Then that'd bring up certain questions of why we don't include pacific islanders and india, and what do do when days overlap.

Google has the budget to do what you are bringing up. CR may be big, but I don't think "respect for the elderly day" is going to bring in a lot of logo submissions.


If they overlap, then perhaps the race with the most population in cr. Majority wins. But its not like we're gonna celebrate every holiday, just the most important one of all.

Well its a suggestion. Everyone's opinions matter.
Posted 1/16/09

makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
If they overlap, then perhaps the race with the most population in cr. Majority wins.


You say "race" here but what really matters is nationality. The creator, and the vast majority of the users are already celebrating the national holidays represented by this site's logo. Majority is doing a pretty good job of winning right now if you ask me.


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
But its not like we're gonna celebrate every holiday, just the most important one of all.


I can only speak from the cultural perspective of Japan, but the only really big holidays that don't overlap with western holidays are Golden Week and Bon. Golden week is hard because every day celebrates something different, and Bon is even harder because half the country celebrates it at different times. Most users probably vaguely know about this, but I doubt the percentage of people on this site who celebrate these days are in the double digits.

CR has always kinda been "generic asian", whatever that means in an international context. Picking up Japanese holidays in a ridiculously superficial way (one graphic) just seems like a lot of work for something that probably wont spark a desire for deep multicultural understanding. Focusing on a logo seems like the exact kind of thing that made U.S. national holidays vaguely symbolic but entirely meaningless to the populace.
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09

gopherthegold wrote:


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
If they overlap, then perhaps the race with the most population in cr. Majority wins.


You say "race" here but what really matters is nationality. The creator, and the vast majority of the users are already celebrating the national holidays represented by this site's logo. Majority is doing a pretty good job of winning right now if you ask me.


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
But its not like we're gonna celebrate every holiday, just the most important one of all.


I can only speak from the cultural perspective of Japan, but the only really big holidays that don't overlap with western holidays are Golden Week and Bon. Golden week is hard because every day celebrates something different, and Bon is even harder because half the country celebrates it at different times. Most users probably vaguely know about this, but I doubt the percentage of people on this site who celebrate these days are in the double digits.

CR has always kinda been "generic asian", whatever that means in an international context. Picking up Japanese holidays in a ridiculously superficial way (one graphic) just seems like a lot of work for something that probably wont spark a desire for deep multicultural understanding. Focusing on a logo seems like the exact kind of thing that made U.S. national holidays vaguely symbolic but entirely meaningless to the populace.


I get what you mean. My plan really has backfired now, well its a suggestion. Its just that, I prefer to understand what I see. I do think that Asians no longer celebrate their race's holidays, maybe among the older generation. Just like Christmas is no longer for Christians but for everyone who wants to party.
Thanks for giving some opinions, and your reasons made this labeled under the Extended Discussion section.

Btw, Happy Chinese New Year.
Posted 1/16/09
I know your heart is in the right place here, but I still feel like I'm not quite getting to you. You keep playing the race card, which is only natural for some, but the lack that you identified when you made this thread has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with race.


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
I do think that Asians no longer celebrate their race's holidays, maybe among the older generation.


Asians don't celebrate their race's holidays for the same reasons white people don't celebrate specific white people holidays (except maybe Columbus day, lol). Holidays don't come from race, they come from culture and nationality. You don't see your "asian friends" celebrating their "asian holidays" because they are probably americans or brittish or part of some other culture. Thinking that just because someone is asian they will celebrate asian holidays is right up there next to "all asians are good at math and know kung fu". As I said before, your heart is in the right place, but you aren't seeing the big picture.


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
Just like Christmas is no longer for Christians but for everyone who wants to party.


Yup. When you tokenize something and include it just to include it, you really don't accomplish anything. Its sort of like the saying "If everyone is special, no one is." Good cultural exchange happens between actual people sharing the things they identify with. Like a boring homework assignment, it is easier to do something when it is interesting and natural.


makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
Btw, Happy Chinese New Year.


Heh, thanks, you too!
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 1/16/09 , edited 1/16/09


gopherthegoldwrote:

makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
I do think that Asians no longer celebrate their race's holidays, maybe among the older generation.


Asians don't celebrate their race's holidays for the same reasons white people don't celebrate specific white people holidays (except maybe Columbus day, lol). Holidays don't come from race, they come from culture and nationality. You don't see your "asian friends" celebrating their "asian holidays" because they are probably americans or brittish or part of some other culture. Thinking that just because someone is asian they will celebrate asian holidays is right up there next to "all asians are good at math and know kung fu". As I said before, your heart is in the right place, but you aren't seeing the big picture.


Different race different culture,no?
I tend to not explain myself. Asians, in the west seldom celebrate their race's holiday because they aren't expose to its influence, there isn't much atmosphere other than chinatown. Their friends are all from different cultures that everything gets mixed. A typical china man's ideal celebration is to have the entire family back at their hometown for a reunion. Also, parents don't emphasise too much.

I can't really say that everyone referring to Asians in the west are like that, but culture is getting mixed with some other stuff. Gawd I can't think right...

Lets just say that, even Asians in the west can't use a squat toilet,because they aren't used to them. And they never intend to try them because you don't find them in the west(meaning america/brittain) While squat toilets are very common in Asia.

Westerners and Toilets
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-358427/Westerners-and-Toilets.html

Conclusion, asian holidays = squat toilet or chopsticks.
2036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/09
I think it would probaly be a good thing, more people should celebrate different holidays from differnt cultures.
It also just makes life so much more intresting
Posted 1/16/09

makimaki_sataandagi wrote:
Different race different culture,no?


To be blunt, NO!

My buddy, the first time I met him I have to admit my brain melted a bit. This guy is the whitest white guy, but he only speaks japanese and has spent his entire life in Japan. His grandparents were from Russia and his parents lived their whole life in Japan. My buddy was raised in Japan and as Japanese as you can get, but you'd never ever guess it just by looking at him.

This example is the reciprocal of the classic story you always hear. An american kid whose parents are fullblood Japanese travels to Japan with his parents for a family reunion. Everyone over there is blown away because here they have a fullblooded Japanese-looking person who doesn't speak the language and is totally clueless.

The times of race being an accurate cultural identifier are numbered! I had a summer job in Texas at a restaurant, and I got called by two people of Mexican decent to come out of the kitchen and translate for a Spanish speaking customer. I grew up in a place closer to the border than they did, so I was more in touch with the culture and colloquialisms.

I'm a very German looking dude but I couldn't tell you dick about that country except that the drinking age is lower than it is in america.

I'm not sure how I can be more explicit about the point I'm trying to stress! Race doesn't align you with culture because culture is a choice made by an individual and/or their family, and location and nationality have a much greater impact than appearance.
28434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Lee Min Ho's mansion
Offline
Posted 1/25/09
chinese new year!
You must be logged in to post.