First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Strongest Martial Arts?
Posted 1/22/09
Fighting instinct . especially for street fight , when they in dead end they do anything in order to win .
Someone tighten my neck once (to the point I can't breath) at that time I still don't know any martial art so .... (I won't tell you what happened , but I managed to escape )
366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/22/09 , edited 1/22/09
Technique wise?
I've been in muay thai since I was 3 years old.
Of course it's deadly if you know how to do it correctly... And it has one of the most hardest trainings out there.
With the process of killing nerves and all haha I'm on the muay thai's side 100%.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but mma has NOTHING on muay thai.
Alot of people think mma is sick because it's "mixed martial arts" but honestly...
I think that's what makes it even weaker. It's not based strongly enough on a specific style.

But it always comes down on whether you're prepared or not... The persons stability, concentration, + health.
1511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Queens, NYC
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

JJT2 wrote:


Mikedabear wrote:

Mauy Thai elbows will cut your face, Mauy Thai Knees will break your ribs, Mauy Thai straight kicks will dislocate your femur from your hip joint or break your knee, Mauy Thai low kicks, with shins that can break baseball bats, will cut the legs out from under you, Mauy Thai all the way.


yea...but, ne elbow to the face does that...ne knee can break a rib...ne straight kick can do all that and ect,ect,ect...
but is really knowing muy thai going to make u acheive all that?i know muy thai, but can i really break a rib from a knee strike? i also know taekwondo and sevreral other martial arts. How do i know if my knee strike isnt from some other art? i learned straight kicks in 3 different martial arts...which one is muy thais? they all r done the same...

what im getting at is no martial art is stronger then the other one, that is silly.Most of those techniques r found in other arts and r done the same way.Then the problem occurs that you trap yourself in your own knowlege with no growth and no adaptation.
Fights r about the individual, not the style. Styles have no techiques and power, people do.A style can do nothing on its own, a human being has to be there to use it. peace over war


Go learn Mauy Thai in Thailand, if any school would take you that is, they are very selective. Then its pretty much garanteed you will break ribs, and yes any elbow will cut but not every style teaches you how to use you elbows. And yes styles over lap, but if we are comparing each style's sets of moves, then you are taught to use your knees and kicks in differnt situations depending on the style, Mauy Thai's simplistic yet direct responces makes it better than many other styles in my opinion. And of course it has to do with hte indiviudal, but i believe if you take the best Mauy Thai fighter and put him up against the best of any other style, the Mauy Thai fighter will win because his style of fighting is better.
1511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Queens, NYC
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

JJT2 wrote:


Mikedabear wrote:


Baka-Master wrote:

shaolin is the first thing what pops up in my head

Muay thai isn't that effective anyway agains a brawler -_- ( my opinion no need to Quote me if i am wrong or something like that)


...you talk about Mauy Thai you're GUNNA get quotes cause you must not have the faintest idea what Mauy Thai is to say that it isnt good against a Brawler, bare knuckler boxers/brawlers would get destroyed in Thailand. They kick down BANANA TREES for training!!


and what if that brawler knows muy thai and is from thailand?

it all comes down to the individual, not the stlye...and yes, training is an individual aspect...peace over war


When somes talks about Brawlers i assume it means a fighter without martial arts training, otherwise why not just call him a Mauy Thai fighter.
2774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 1/22/09 , edited 1/22/09

JJT2 wrote:


grip200kg wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


grip200kg wrote:

There is never going to be a right answer to this question.

Every style is like a religion, its taking you to the same point at the end.

Find a style your body works well with and make it your own.

Genetics play a big role if youll ever be good at it. Don't tell me "if you work hard blah blah blah anyone can be a great fighter." Cut the crap.


really? r you talking about being good at martial arts or being a great fighter? Ne human with arms and legs can be a great fighter with hard work and experience.I dont hear the military of any country saying people cant join the military because they cant fight.Maybe it was done in the past, but i think it was proven that with proper training,experience,ect. Any one can learn to fight.Genetics may play a role, but so does hard work and all that jazz.I have yet to meet a person who couldnt be a great fighter because his parents werent fighters.Same thing goes for sports as well. Look at Michael Jordan from basketball. He sucked at basketball, now he's a legend.
peace over war


Your not understanding what im saying, anyone can do anything but only a few can be on the top not just because of hard work and dedication, because their body was made for that, something you can't alter.

For example me, im lucky im born with big bones and I consider my self a fast healer, that's a big role in my size today. And you know asians aren't really that big. I have lots of friends that are on steroids that don't even come close to me being natural

Your body type and a fitting style is what works. Im a hard hitter, wide, heavy and not that tall, would it be wise for me to choose wushu, shaolin kung fu or capoeira?

You mentioning about parents being fighters, what does that have to do with anything? Do you not understand what I mean by genetics? the amount of tendons, fast twitching, slow twitching muscle fibers, reaction speed, focus, flexibility, eye hand coordination, peripheral vision, bone frame and build, arm leg lengths, fist size. That has nothing with your parents being fighters or not.

You bring up Michael Jordan saying that he sucked at basketball as a child and with hard work and dedication he became one of the best players ever. Yes thats true but how can you compare basketball to martial arts? Basketball all and all is repetition and not nearly as demanding as martial arts, your comparing oranges to apples.

Yes hard work and dedication play a role but genes are 40% of it. Believing strictly only in hard work and dedication is a fantasy. Thats living in a videogame/movie/anime world.


sure, body type and wieght can influence a fight heavily.but fights r based on individuals, not stlyes, wut may work for u may not work for other people.i dont see how genes can automaticly make someone a superb fighter.It gives them that potiential, but what i learned in my science class is that without the hardwork and dedication, those genes wont show up.In terms of fighting, hark work and dedication is all the rest of us have to work with.Im not going to give something up simply because i dont have the genes for it.btw, there isnt much difference in the practice of martial arts and sports...some martial arts are used as sports.

"A great fighter knows thier limitations, but an even better fighter finds ways around them"-Majin buu

peace over war


What are you, in highschool? You dont seem to comprehend what im trying to say. Look over what I posted. I NEVER said genes make you and automatic fighter. Take some college science courses, then you really know what im talking about. I rarely use a heavy bag (100lbs) yet I can make it touch the ceiling with a straight, people train specifically for a harder punch and cant do that. Why? Because hard hitters are born NOT made. Don't tell me its because I work out, im big and strong, thats all bologne. I have a buddy that outbenches me, hes only 165lbs and benches 445lbs and he can't do that to the bag. Why can he bench more than me, im bigger, why can I hit the heavy bag to the ceiling and he can't? Ive never trained for that, and he hasn't trained specifically to be strong on the bench

Think about working out for a six pac, sure everyone can get it but can you make them symmetrical? I don't care how hard you work and how dedicated you are, if your born with zipper or uneven abs, you can NEVER get them symmetrical.
56939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/22/09
well i think it depends on how you use it, plus experience, did you know the best weapon you can have ight now is a bow kinda weird i know
187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/22/09 , edited 1/22/09
Kids calm down. Both of you have valid points. And I personally pick the art of fighting without fighting.
738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / My Own World?!
Offline
Posted 1/22/09
Muay Thai is amazing! but boxing isn't..

their legs is Boxing's weakness..

i still prefer Tachi!! use other power to overcome hits
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

darcmonkey wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


darcmonkey wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Dannnnyboyyy wrote:



Why is that?


why? just read my other comments. Why not? Does it not make the most sense?
there is no such thing as a ultra super duper style or technique that auto maticly gives you to have the ability to win every fight you get into.
Styles are all the same.What happens when two muay thai fighters fight? are u really going to decide the winner of a match just because one knows muy thai?but that wont work, cause the other guy also knows muy thai.wouldnt the logical thing be to rate the individuals in this?

its not karate vs muy thai, or judo vs this and that.Its individual vs individual.If u get punched in the face, whether or not it hurts you does not depend on what style it came from.Dont all human beings punch with a balled fists?

Bruce Lee puts it this way.

"Before i studied the art, a punch to me was just a punch, a kick was just a kick.After I'd studied the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick was no longer a kick. Now that i understand the art, a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick."

Techniques,power,speed,ect. Are all based on the individual.There is no easy way to becoming a great fighter. It takes experience,skills,training, ect. Any style can teach you that, or you can turn away from styles and seek wisdom from yourself.Either way, it still falls on the individual's shoulder.peace over war

well put and going from what I was saying. I was friends(still today) with this guy in high school that was like a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt TKD. he was talking about his skill in class and I asked him is that even functional in the streets he said yes I said show me( we had a sub that day) so he stood up he started showing his the defenses and stuff.
Then i stood up and I said throw a kick he throw a faint then a kick i saw through the faint I took the hit in the side grabbed his leg he knew I was going in to trip him so he was going to punch but I knew that to so i pulled his leg back and took him off guard and I stop cuz the teacher thought we were serious but he and I knew I was going to swing his leg around and grab him from the back and choke him out. yes, technique and training is good cuz that kick hurt but fighting with set moves like being on rails it's too easy to see what ur going to do if that person has seen it some many times.


"technique and training is good cuz that kick hurt but fighting with set moves like being on rails it's too easy to see what ur going to do if that person has seen it some many times."

im not sure what you mean by fighting with set moves, as far as i know, all fighters have a set of techniques to used to fight. theres punching, kicking, grappling, ect.

as for moves being 'telegraphic" (easy to see), that depends on the individual as well, some people can see a move, but cant defend against. Others can defend against moves that cannot be seen and not all techiniques r telegraphic. In Jeet kune do, Bruce Lee focused on attacking like a cobra- saying that attacks should be felt but not seen. peace over war



lol by rails and set moves each style like the grapple types and tkd etc(muy thai is too much like boxing but kinda apples) my friends showed me at their places all same to have a base set of kicks and punches that can be seen it u look at there stance. like if the guys moves this way I move that way is what i mean by rails so I could bait u into throwing a punch or kick by doing something and hitting u knowing u are going to do it out of reaction.



r you talking about one step sparring? or maybe traditional stances or drills? like sliding up in the front stance and doing a punch while sliding up and down the floor like your on rail road tracks?

all that tradition stuff is purly for training. No real taekwondo/karate/ any tradition asian martial art user will actualy fight like that in a real street fight.Most stances r used for training purposes only. The few that r used in a fight r transitional and r only used when the oppertnity presents its self. Ever seen these guys spar? Have you noticed not even one traditional stance is used? or even a traditional punch? There punches in sparring are the same ones boxers use from thier "sparring stance".Which is a stance they make up that they move most confortable in.And they tend to be short and flexible-similar to a boxers stance.There hands when sparring is usually held up to their face- once again imitating a boxers style.
Martial arts can be used for many purposes. A few of those purposes tend to be health, combative,sport, tradition,ect.
Not all martial arts are trained to be used for combative purposes.Tai chi is usually used as a health improver.That doesnt mean people dont train to fight with it, but most of the time its elderly guys doing it for easy excersize.Same thing with traditional martial arts.Bruce Lee got on all Americans about the way they were doing traditional martial arts in the 70s.Next thing you know MMA comes along 20 years later-obviously created by using some if not all of Bruce Lee's philosophys on martial arts.There r very few martial artist today that are not influenced one way or another by Bruce Lee's philosophys.
ok, srry i got wayyyyy off topic....but i hope you got what i was trying to say.... peace over war
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 1/22/09
kung fu

mai thai

kav maga

i think these are the deadliest
15270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / in a parallel uni...
Offline
Posted 1/22/09
wwo okayfor me kung-fu cause I think all style came freom this kind of martuial art
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

Mikedabear wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Mikedabear wrote:

Mauy Thai elbows will cut your face, Mauy Thai Knees will break your ribs, Mauy Thai straight kicks will dislocate your femur from your hip joint or break your knee, Mauy Thai low kicks, with shins that can break baseball bats, will cut the legs out from under you, Mauy Thai all the way.


yea...but, ne elbow to the face does that...ne knee can break a rib...ne straight kick can do all that and ect,ect,ect...
but is really knowing muy thai going to make u acheive all that?i know muy thai, but can i really break a rib from a knee strike? i also know taekwondo and sevreral other martial arts. How do i know if my knee strike isnt from some other art? i learned straight kicks in 3 different martial arts...which one is muy thais? they all r done the same...

what im getting at is no martial art is stronger then the other one, that is silly.Most of those techniques r found in other arts and r done the same way.Then the problem occurs that you trap yourself in your own knowlege with no growth and no adaptation.
Fights r about the individual, not the style. Styles have no techiques and power, people do.A style can do nothing on its own, a human being has to be there to use it. peace over war


Go learn Mauy Thai in Thailand, if any school would take you that is, they are very selective. Then its pretty much garanteed you will break ribs, and yes any elbow will cut but not every style teaches you how to use you elbows. And yes styles over lap, but if we are comparing each style's sets of moves, then you are taught to use your knees and kicks in differnt situations depending on the style, Mauy Thai's simplistic yet direct responces makes it better than many other styles in my opinion. And of course it has to do with hte indiviudal, but i believe if you take the best Mauy Thai fighter and put him up against the best of any other style, the Mauy Thai fighter will win because his style of fighting is better.


and that is silly.Ne guy who has taken martial arts for more then 2 years will tell you reality doesnt work that way.If u have ever been in a fight you would know there is no such thing as a super duper extreme martial art that would garentee a victory agaisnt 40 oozie wielding ninjas running at you at 100mph.Martial arts doesnt work that way, fighting doesnt work that way. And when u think like that going in a fight, guys like that are the 1st ones to end up with their skulls split in some dark alley because they believed they could take some guy on just because they know muy thai.But they become bewildered when thier ass gets defeated.Its that type of arrogant/ignorant thought process that is dangerous in a street fight.Martial arts doesnt make you invincible to the adverage street fighter.thier bones break and their flesh bleeds just like the rest of ours.
As Bruce Lee says "The Best fighter is not a boxer,karate, or judo man.The best fighter is someone who can adapt on any style.He kicks too good for a boxer, throws too good for a karate man, and punches too good for a Judo man"-Lee

By believing that your style is the best in the world, you become set in stone with no growth and no adaptation.Its all about the individuals, not their styles.What may work well for you may not work well for others.Ever watch the UFC or ne other MMA fights?
Ever wonder why they never start off fights as a style vs another stlyle? because it doesnt matter.Thier styles do not garentee thier victories, its thier training and individual wills that do.Just look at one MMA match.I have seen street fighters walk over some of these guys. I have seen Brazlian Jujitsu masters knock someone out with one punch (Brazlian jujitsu is an art known for its grappling techniques, not punches).Some of those guys in thier know muy thai, but they know better then to rely on some style for victory.Hard work and training is what earns them thier victory, not some style.Same thing with those guys from thai land. If they believed thier art was so surperior, they wouldnt train so hard to break ribs and cut faces.All individual aspects.

If you placed the best muy thai fighter in a ring with a guy holding a semi auto matic pistol, who would win then?
What if that same muy thai guy was some jujitsu guys's side mound? Wouldnt his legs, hips,punches, knees,elbows, ect be useless then? And of course you could argue that a muy thai guy would never be taken to the ground, which in its self is rediculas but only proves my point of fighting resting with the individual, not their stlye. And yes, training is an individual aspect.I could practice kicking trees down in my back yard if i wanted to.(if u dont believe me, research it yourself, or perhaps try looking at other martial arts before you decide which one is surperior)peace over war
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

Mikedabear wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


Mikedabear wrote:


Baka-Master wrote:

shaolin is the first thing what pops up in my head

Muay thai isn't that effective anyway agains a brawler -_- ( my opinion no need to Quote me if i am wrong or something like that)


...you talk about Mauy Thai you're GUNNA get quotes cause you must not have the faintest idea what Mauy Thai is to say that it isnt good against a Brawler, bare knuckler boxers/brawlers would get destroyed in Thailand. They kick down BANANA TREES for training!!


and what if that brawler knows muy thai and is from thailand?

it all comes down to the individual, not the stlye...and yes, training is an individual aspect...peace over war


When somes talks about Brawlers i assume it means a fighter without martial arts training, otherwise why not just call him a Mauy Thai fighter.


do muy thai fighters call them selves muy thai fighters? i know muy thai, but i call my self JJT.Just because someone knows muy thai doesnt mean they r invicncible. fights dont work that way.peace over war
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/22/09 , edited 1/22/09

grip200kg wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


grip200kg wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


grip200kg wrote:

There is never going to be a right answer to this question.

Every style is like a religion, its taking you to the same point at the end.

Find a style your body works well with and make it your own.

Genetics play a big role if youll ever be good at it. Don't tell me "if you work hard blah blah blah anyone can be a great fighter." Cut the crap.


really? r you talking about being good at martial arts or being a great fighter? Ne human with arms and legs can be a great fighter with hard work and experience.I dont hear the military of any country saying people cant join the military because they cant fight.Maybe it was done in the past, but i think it was proven that with proper training,experience,ect. Any one can learn to fight.Genetics may play a role, but so does hard work and all that jazz.I have yet to meet a person who couldnt be a great fighter because his parents werent fighters.Same thing goes for sports as well. Look at Michael Jordan from basketball. He sucked at basketball, now he's a legend.
peace over war


Your not understanding what im saying, anyone can do anything but only a few can be on the top not just because of hard work and dedication, because their body was made for that, something you can't alter.

For example me, im lucky im born with big bones and I consider my self a fast healer, that's a big role in my size today. And you know asians aren't really that big. I have lots of friends that are on steroids that don't even come close to me being natural

Your body type and a fitting style is what works. Im a hard hitter, wide, heavy and not that tall, would it be wise for me to choose wushu, shaolin kung fu or capoeira?

You mentioning about parents being fighters, what does that have to do with anything? Do you not understand what I mean by genetics? the amount of tendons, fast twitching, slow twitching muscle fibers, reaction speed, focus, flexibility, eye hand coordination, peripheral vision, bone frame and build, arm leg lengths, fist size. That has nothing with your parents being fighters or not.

You bring up Michael Jordan saying that he sucked at basketball as a child and with hard work and dedication he became one of the best players ever. Yes thats true but how can you compare basketball to martial arts? Basketball all and all is repetition and not nearly as demanding as martial arts, your comparing oranges to apples.

Yes hard work and dedication play a role but genes are 40% of it. Believing strictly only in hard work and dedication is a fantasy. Thats living in a videogame/movie/anime world.


sure, body type and wieght can influence a fight heavily.but fights r based on individuals, not stlyes, wut may work for u may not work for other people.i dont see how genes can automaticly make someone a superb fighter.It gives them that potiential, but what i learned in my science class is that without the hardwork and dedication, those genes wont show up.In terms of fighting, hark work and dedication is all the rest of us have to work with.Im not going to give something up simply because i dont have the genes for it.btw, there isnt much difference in the practice of martial arts and sports...some martial arts are used as sports.

"A great fighter knows thier limitations, but an even better fighter finds ways around them"-Majin buu

peace over war


What are you, in highschool? You dont seem to comprehend what im trying to say. Look over what I posted. I NEVER said genes make you and automatic fighter. Take some college science courses, then you really know what im talking about. I rarely use a heavy bag (100lbs) yet I can make it touch the ceiling with a straight, people train specifically for a harder punch and cant do that. Why? Because hard hitters are born NOT made. Don't tell me its because I work out, im big and strong, thats all bologne. I have a buddy that outbenches me, hes only 165lbs and benches 445lbs and he can't do that to the bag. Why can he bench more than me, im bigger, why can I hit the heavy bag to the ceiling and he can't? Ive never trained for that, and he hasn't trained specifically to be strong on the bench

Think about working out for a six pac, sure everyone can get it but can you make them symmetrical? I don't care how hard you work and how dedicated you are, if your born with zipper or uneven abs, you can NEVER get them symmetrical.


im not talknig about what genes can do outside of martial arts.Im just saying martial arts r not limited to your gene pool. Some martial arts dont use strenght to defeat an oppopent at all.Science has very little to do with fighting, let alone martial arts. Its based on the individual.Just because you can punch a bag to the cieling doesnt mean you can punch a human the same way.Just becuase you hit hard, doesnt make you a naturaly good fighter.Ne body can punch hard, fighting isnt based on wieght and strenghth alone. a lot of aspects go in to a fight.Good fighters r made, not born.peace over war

4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/22/09

marietheresa- wrote:

Technique wise?
I've been in muay thai since I was 3 years old.
Of course it's deadly if you know how to do it correctly... And it has one of the most hardest trainings out there.
With the process of killing nerves and all haha I'm on the muay thai's side 100%.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but mma has NOTHING on muay thai.
Alot of people think mma is sick because it's "mixed martial arts" but honestly...
I think that's what makes it even weaker. It's not based strongly enough on a specific style.

But it always comes down on whether you're prepared or not... The persons stability, concentration, + health.


ok then, you are wrong. Just like i was telling the other guy, its not about the styles, but the individual.What good does muy thai do if your on the ground?what if your up against a gun? dont be limited by your knowlege in your own art.How can you grow and adapt if you believe you are already invincible with your style?its not about this vs that but the individual. Muy thai fighters wouldnt train so hard if they believed thier style garenteed their victory.Ne real martial artist knows that fighting depends on the individual.Situations apply to that as well.A lot of MMA fighters use muy thai.How can knowing muy thai and jujitsu make you weaker? How does knowlege and removing boundaries make one weaker? That makes no sense.Usually knowlege is considered power where im from.How can one who trains his whole life (20 plus years) in MMA be beaten by some 13 year old kid just because he knows muy thai?That makes no sense.Its silly.There is no such thing as some super duper elite martial art that only muy thai users know that garentees victory over every fighter in the world.If you believe your muy thai is invicible and everyone else is inferior, go take it to a trained professional in MMA and step into the ring.I promise you, based on that single belief, you wont last 3 good seconds.How can you?If you believe your stlye is so serperior, your convidence would be so high you wouldnt bother trying to actually trying to fight the guy.Why would you? isnt your victory garenteed?a punch will hurt you reguardless of what style u know.
And i say the same thing to all those MMA fanatics who believe MMA is the best style, thats even more foolish sense MMA was created on the basis of stopping that foolish myth by not limiting themselves to one style.peace over war
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.