First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Why does existence, exist?
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/2/09 , edited 4/2/09

Nazareeni wrote:

Think of nothingness.

Oh wait, you can't. That's because nothing is something. Funnily enough, everytime you try to think about the dawn of existence, all you can think of is, a blank, white / black background. Too bad, that is classified as existence.

Then it begins getting to you how nothing ever makes sense. If existence itself does not make any sense, then how does matter make any sense? How does particles and elements make sense? And lastly, how the hell did we have the brains to develop into living in a fantasy such as today, communicating & even creating daily situations in our lives, labelling every dilly dally moment & emotion, yet we still, don't understand, why existence, exists...

Our brains are not programmed to understand something we cannot sense. Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.


Nothingness wouldn't be white nor would it be black, those things require photons to be present and either be reflected or absorbed by something, if there is truly nothing, then there is nothing to reflect or absorb those photons, there would also be nothing generating the photons, so true nothingness would be a colorless void.

Matter makes sense, it makes perfect sense, your just to lazy to try to understand how matter works. how atoms work and form elements through various nuclear forces and how gravity works and all that, but it makes perfect sense. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it makes no sense to others.
5891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Imagination Land
Offline
Posted 4/3/09 , edited 4/3/09

Allhailodin wrote:


Nazareeni wrote:

Think of nothingness.

Oh wait, you can't. That's because nothing is something. Funnily enough, everytime you try to think about the dawn of existence, all you can think of is, a blank, white / black background. Too bad, that is classified as existence.

Then it begins getting to you how nothing ever makes sense. If existence itself does not make any sense, then how does matter make any sense? How does particles and elements make sense? And lastly, how the hell did we have the brains to develop into living in a fantasy such as today, communicating & even creating daily situations in our lives, labelling every dilly dally moment & emotion, yet we still, don't understand, why existence, exists...

Our brains are not programmed to understand something we cannot sense. Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.


Nothingness wouldn't be white nor would it be black, those things require photons to be present and either be reflected or absorbed by something, if there is truly nothing, then there is nothing to reflect or absorb those photons, there would also be nothing generating the photons, so true nothingness would be a colorless void.

Matter makes sense, it makes perfect sense, your just to lazy to try to understand how matter works. how atoms work and form elements through various nuclear forces and how gravity works and all that, but it makes perfect sense. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it makes no sense to others.


No no. See, yeh, matter does make sense, but I'm thinking more outer the box. If existence itself doesn't make sense, then it's kind of weird how matter happens to be...

And this sounds nit-picky. But don't call me lazy if you are too lazy to type "You're" properly [in the same damn sentence you fault me as well].

Then again. Silly me. By me wondering about this subject, the whole point of putting faith and care into this thread has dissolved. Good day to you.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 4/3/09

Nazareeni wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


Nazareeni wrote:

Think of nothingness.

Oh wait, you can't. That's because nothing is something. Funnily enough, everytime you try to think about the dawn of existence, all you can think of is, a blank, white / black background. Too bad, that is classified as existence.

Then it begins getting to you how nothing ever makes sense. If existence itself does not make any sense, then how does matter make any sense? How does particles and elements make sense? And lastly, how the hell did we have the brains to develop into living in a fantasy such as today, communicating & even creating daily situations in our lives, labelling every dilly dally moment & emotion, yet we still, don't understand, why existence, exists...

Our brains are not programmed to understand something we cannot sense. Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.


Nothingness wouldn't be white nor would it be black, those things require photons to be present and either be reflected or absorbed by something, if there is truly nothing, then there is nothing to reflect or absorb those photons, there would also be nothing generating the photons, so true nothingness would be a colorless void.

Matter makes sense, it makes perfect sense, your just to lazy to try to understand how matter works. how atoms work and form elements through various nuclear forces and how gravity works and all that, but it makes perfect sense. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it makes no sense to others.


No no. See, yeh, matter does make sense, but I'm thinking more outer the box. If existence itself doesn't make sense, then it's kind of weird how matter happens to be...

And this sounds nit-picky. But don't call me lazy if you are too lazy to type "You're" properly [in the same damn sentence you fault me as well].

Then again. Silly me. By me wondering about this subject, the whole point of putting faith and care into this thread has dissolved. Good day to you.


You know I'm not sure why this thread is still alive, it's really just randomly trivial. What's the premise of questioning existance anyways? I don't think most people would be able to answer this question properly before know the premises on it. C.S. Lewis had an entire book on "The Problem of Pain" and before he even got to his main arguement he had to build up to it with other arguements that are the premises on the problem of pain. What the hell are the assumptions put into this arguement in the first place?
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 4/3/09

KariKun wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:


KariKun wrote:

I don't bother thinking hard on questions like these than rather coming up with a short answer in a short amount of time. Personally I think we can imagine nothingness and just nothing, like never have been being born, though that's my thought, if you can't then whatever. Anyways, existence exists because there are things to allow it's existence right? Something like discovering a new planet, galaxy, star, or anything because before you discovered it, technically it didn't exist, until there is something to know of it and think of it it doesn't exist now does it? I listen to the quote from Suzumiya Haruhi, but I'm not good with memory, someone else say it if you know, but I think it had something to do with something existing because we're here to confirm it's existence and that if we, or anything else wasn't here to confirm it, then it wouldn't be known as existing. I rant a lot, sorry, just my opinion.


You're an empiricist because you watched an anime?


Umm, I don't know what an empiricist is and I'm too lazy to wiki, mind clarifying for me?


Knowledge arises from experience. Except your view seems to fringe on Berkeley's subjective idealism.
4408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Cavite, Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/3/09
There was always something behind everything. Saying a thing is nothing was only limited to our own understanding and/or desires. For example, cold, there's no such thing as cold, its only a diminished sense of warm temperature. Darkness, you can't create darkness in itself, darkness is only the absence of light.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/09 , edited 4/7/09

Nazareeni wrote:

Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.


I'm gonna be technical here...


The word "nothing" in your first clause assumes that it is linked to some form of reality in which there is an absence of an apparent "something", hence the idea that it is, indeed, explicitly present as an event of causality. That said, the word "nothing", in this case, is not equivalent to a sense of "non-existence", because "nothing" implies, a priori to the fact that it is indeed something, that that certain "nothing" exists elsewhere.

Simply put, you can only say "nothing is something" under the assumption that it can be manifest to you ~ otherwise, nothing should be "non-existent", ergo, it should not manifest to you. The mere fact that you can claim that nothing is something means that that "nothing" is something to which you can relate to through abstraction. For example, I can say that the word "nothing" in the sentence "there is nothing in this box" relates to an abstract idea of there not being something, but I cannot equally say that that "nothing" is something that is non-existent. Nothing, in the sentence, does not imply non-existence, because it manifests to me as an empty box. The subject, in this example, is the box ~ not nothing.

For nothing to be the subject, it should imply non-existence, which simply cannot be the case if you claim that "nothing is something". That said, "nothing" in your first clause is of the causal type, which implies an abstraction of thought, not a proof of non-existence.


In the end, you can't say that non-existence is existence, assuming that you're equating these terms with nothing and something. It is true that the human mind cannot perceive non-existence as so far as it is a consciousness that contemplates existence, but the abstraction of an existence beyond his own (to which Descartes referred to as the "infinite") tells us that it is possible for man to conceive that which is "beyond existence", and not necessarily non-existence.


What you're experiencing now is what Marcel would refer to as "metaphysical unease", or the pressure of existence. It isn't so much so to question why existence exists in the first place, because it is a priori to the effect, of which is your own existence. In fact, your follow up questions sound more like a question as to why reality is in such and such and form and not in another way. Given those grounds, it gives no useful truth regarding the existence of existence, because you are simply asking questions that seek for a purpose in existing. Long story short, you're asking the existentialist question of "what does it mean to be a being manifest in this world"?

I hope this re-direction in your questioning makes it clearer as to what it is, exactly, you're trying to say.
1194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / "place emo quote...
Offline
Posted 4/10/09
I used to think about this topic alot when I was bored. It then depressed me...

For me I dealt with this problem by staying occupied and furthermore relying on God because for some reason He wanted me to exist as well as everything else...

627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/13/09
there is no such thing as nothing. Existance exist because it is simple beinging what it is, existing.
362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Canada, AB
Offline
Posted 6/21/09
oh how i juz love this discussion goin on here!XD who knows d exact answer man!? no offense but why do u exist? why do i? no one knows for sure why something/someone exist at all ^^
1244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/09
what a quaintly blatant act of semantics this thread is
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/21/09
'Matter has always been And always will be in one form or another.' " There has never been nothingness. "

If there was than you have to Explain how a god can pop up from that nothingness and what meening does a god have to exissist in the first place.

Now I have to find something to cover up the smell of skunk... Damn doG Felt the need to sniff a skunks-ass.. And I have nothing to get the smell off him right now.
21223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/09
Or, we could just shut up and enjoy it while we can.
4945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / France
Offline
Posted 6/22/09
>.> Because i said so.
2765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
Offline
Posted 6/22/09
Wow, this is one to really think about, it's hard for me to say why it exists because I believe the actual fact and entirety of existence is beyond human comprehension in my opinion.
I'll come back to this topic after I think about this some more.
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/22/09

Nazareeni wrote:

Think of nothingness.

Oh wait, you can't. That's because nothing is something. Funnily enough, everytime you try to think about the dawn of existence, all you can think of is, a blank, white / black background. Too bad, that is classified as existence.

Then it begins getting to you how nothing ever makes sense. If existence itself does not make any sense, then how does matter make any sense? How does particles and elements make sense? And lastly, how the hell did we have the brains to develop into living in a fantasy such as today, communicating & even creating daily situations in our lives, labelling every dilly dally moment & emotion, yet we still, don't understand, why existence, exists...

Our brains are not programmed to understand something we cannot sense. Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.


I guess we could also try to picture what the fourth demention looks like...... NOT...... Not really any point of asking a question like this... This thread is something i would post if i were drunk. With all do respect.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.