First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Why does existence, exist?
1100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / F
Offline
Posted 6/23/09
Don't you like it? Life is the best..
5981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Washington, D.C.
Offline
Posted 6/23/09
This is a haunting question that has been on my mind since a little child. I'd cry in my room while my parents stumbled over their words to try and explain it to me. It's really easy to freak yourself out. Existence doesn't really make any sense, does it? Just like in some earlier posts in this conversation, if you try to imagine nothing, for some reason outer space comes to mind right? Maybe with no stars. Existence is so huge and my belief is that the concept of forever and the concept of something so huge can never fit inside our heads, because we cannot handle it.

All I know is that there is only two ways to this, there could have been no existence, but there is. And if you flip that switch over and over in your mind you will be driven insane. In the end, even though life is big and scary, I would rather have existence; to exist in this world and have a chance to question it than to have never experienced anything at all.

The answer to this question, cannot be fathomed nor can it fit into our beautifully intricate minds.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/23/09

Aienka wrote:

This is a haunting question that has been on my mind since a little child. I'd cry in my room while my parents stumbled over their words to try and explain it to me. It's really easy to freak yourself out. Existence doesn't really make any sense, does it? Just like in some earlier posts in this conversation, if you try to imagine nothing, for some reason outer space comes to mind right? Maybe with no stars. Existence is so huge and my belief is that the concept of forever and the concept of something so huge can never fit inside our heads, because we cannot handle it.

All I know is that there is only two ways to this, there could have been no existence, but there is. And if you flip that switch over and over in your mind you will be driven insane. In the end, even though life is big and scary, I would rather have existence; to exist in this world and have a chance to question it than to have never experienced anything at all.

The answer to this question, cannot be fathomed nor can it fit into our beautifully intricate minds.


I am thinking you are making it more complex than it really is.



'Matter has always been And always will be in one form or another.' " There has never been nothingness. "

If there was than you have to Explain how a god can pop up from that nothingness and what meening does a god have to exissist in the first place.


5981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Washington, D.C.
Offline
Posted 6/23/09 , edited 6/23/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Aienka wrote:

This is a haunting question that has been on my mind since a little child. I'd cry in my room while my parents stumbled over their words to try and explain it to me. It's really easy to freak yourself out. Existence doesn't really make any sense, does it? Just like in some earlier posts in this conversation, if you try to imagine nothing, for some reason outer space comes to mind right? Maybe with no stars. Existence is so huge and my belief is that the concept of forever and the concept of something so huge can never fit inside our heads, because we cannot handle it.

All I know is that there is only two ways to this, there could have been no existence, but there is. And if you flip that switch over and over in your mind you will be driven insane. In the end, even though life is big and scary, I would rather have existence; to exist in this world and have a chance to question it than to have never experienced anything at all.

The answer to this question, cannot be fathomed nor can it fit into our beautifully intricate minds.


I am thinking you are making it more complex than it really is.



'Matter has always been And always will be in one form or another.' " There has never been nothingness. "

If there was than you have to Explain how a god can pop up from that nothingness and what meening does a god have to exissist in the first place.




I feel that the way I talk about it is exactly the amount of complexity that it is. We are using a word that was man made to describe the fact of matter and life and space. The question is "Why does existence, exist?". No matter what answer we are given, we will always have one more. It's a never ending cycle. What created us? Well, what created that? How does that exist? Where did that come from?

That's why eternity and endlessness can't be measured by time, it's because it has no end. Can anyone imagine eternity? Never ending. No matter how much time you add to that idea you would always need to keep going. The questions and wonders will always last. The fact is that we believe: in order for something to exist, it must be made. But whoever and whatever created that something, had to have been created as well.

I still stand strong on saying this question will never be answered because we are only programmed to understand so much.
We cannot handle the answer because it's never ending. And yes, it is that complex.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 6/23/09 , edited 6/23/09
Existence exists because an astronomical amount of matter decided to explode into the big bang and create the universe, which kinda decided that for us and all other life in the universe. It doesn't have a reason for existing, Doesn't need a reason, it simply exists. Nothing we nor any other intelligent life can do about it. Well I suppose taking yourself out of existence through suicide is always an option.
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 6/23/09 , edited 6/24/09
you can only have nothing of something
like i dont have any money

or you can say something doesnt exist
like ghosts dont exist

but you cant say nothingness without saying none of something
unless you mean everything

but then if nothing of everything is something
then it is not nothing of everything
so you cant say that its something ; )







5981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Washington, D.C.
Offline
Posted 6/23/09

Daniel9878 wrote:

you can only have nothing of something
like i dont have any money

or you can say something doesnt exist
like ghosts dont exist

but you cant say nothingness without saying none of something
unless you mean everything

but then if nothing of everything is something
then it is not nothing of everything
so you cant say it is even there ; )










Yes! That's exactly it!
It's an endless cycle.

I love the way that you put it so simply. And at the same time making a point that it's so confusing.
It's just the way it is.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/23/09

Aienka wrote:


Daniel9878 wrote:

you can only have nothing of something
like i dont have any money

or you can say something doesnt exist
like ghosts dont exist

but you cant say nothingness without saying none of something
unless you mean everything

but then if nothing of everything is something
then it is not nothing of everything
so you cant say it is even there ; )










Yes! That's exactly it!
It's an endless cycle.

I love the way that you put it so simply. And at the same time making a point that it's so confusing.
It's just the way it is.



You do know all he said was a long winded " there no such thing as nothing! "
5981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Washington, D.C.
Offline
Posted 6/24/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Aienka wrote:


Daniel9878 wrote:

you can only have nothing of something
like i dont have any money

or you can say something doesnt exist
like ghosts dont exist

but you cant say nothingness without saying none of something
unless you mean everything

but then if nothing of everything is something
then it is not nothing of everything
so you cant say it is even there ; )










Yes! That's exactly it!
It's an endless cycle.

I love the way that you put it so simply. And at the same time making a point that it's so confusing.
It's just the way it is.



You do know all he said was a long winded " there no such thing as nothing! "



I know EXACTLY what he was saying. I'm just very passionate about this subject.

I'm not ignorant. Quit treating me like I am.
3229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/24/09 , edited 6/24/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:


Aienka wrote:


Daniel9878 wrote:

you can only have nothing of something
like i dont have any money

or you can say something doesnt exist
like ghosts dont exist

but you cant say nothingness without saying none of something
unless you mean everything

but then if nothing of everything is something
then it is not nothing of everything
so you cant say it is even there ; )









Yes! That's exactly it!
It's an endless cycle.

I love the way that you put it so simply. And at the same time making a point that it's so confusing.
It's just the way it is.



You do know all he said was a long winded " there no such thing as nothing! "



oh yeah??? have you ever seen "The Never Ending Story"?? I think Michael Ende would dissagree. ^---- not a serious comment
17060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Dreamland
Offline
Posted 6/24/09
I wonder why people are asking this kind of question. I mean, its not like they'll get an accurate answer for it..still, it is something interesting to ponder about.

To me, existence exist for a reason. I don't know what the reason is, but simply, there has to be a reason right? Even if there's no reason, we still exist.

I have another thing on my mind though..put the question like this, many of us ask why something exist? Lets say its an ant. Why does an ant exist? Instead of asking something like that, why don't we ask something like 'Why something that looks like an ant but has rainbow colors instead of usual red/black does not exist?'
1393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/7/09
Something to help u in your question. Everything in the world has something that is the opposite. One cannot live without the other. Nothing cannot be without something. In other words it just is. I hope my words arent confusing, they often confuse others.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/11 , edited 12/16/11
People say the big bang created things, but what created the big bang and what created that and so on? Everything started all with absolutely "nothing". I don't know what "nothing" looks like but that's the beggining. Now here's my theory, there was so much "nothing" that it created "something". Nothing DOES exist. Cause where there is nothing, something is created. And "nothing" is so epic that it creates a BIG huge something, much like the universe or the big bang. Collisions, Nothingness creating something. Now people say the universe is infinite and it always expands. Outside of the universe is "nothing" and the "nothing" surrounding the universe becomes part of the universe. The universe will never end because there will always be "nothing" and nothing will never seize to exist, just like it doesn't exist while existing at the same time. Think of a small circle as the universe expanding into a bigger circle forever. outside of the circle is "nothing". Since nothing has no definite shape, it is infinite just as the universe is infinite and will continue to grow so long as "nothing" will continue to exist while not existing. Who here gets what im saying, or believes me?


OH and remember this is inportant to know ("NOTHING IS NOT BLACK OR WHITE OR ANY COLOR. NOTHING IS NO SHAPE OR SIZE, IT IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AND NON EXISTENT.") so therefore nothing exists while not existing, which is why nothing becomes something. This is 100% true. I can't stress this enough and its the most valid answer you can get about things existing and the universe.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 12/27/11

Nazareeni wrote:

Think of nothingness.

Oh wait, you can't. That's because nothing is something. Funnily enough, everytime you try to think about the dawn of existence, all you can think of is, a blank, white / black background. Too bad, that is classified as existence.

Then it begins getting to you how nothing ever makes sense. If existence itself does not make any sense, then how does matter make any sense? How does particles and elements make sense? And lastly, how the hell did we have the brains to develop into living in a fantasy such as today, communicating & even creating daily situations in our lives, labelling every dilly dally moment & emotion, yet we still, don't understand, why existence, exists...

Our brains are not programmed to understand something we cannot sense. Well my final theory is, if nothing is something, then something is nothing.



Nothing is the lack of anything, therefore I can think of it: I think of it in those terms. Then, you say that nothing is something, in that it is definable, which is just playing with semantic. Then, if you want to understand existence, there is an actual philosophic branch dedicated to that, it is called Ontology.
5891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Imagination Land
Offline
Posted 12/27/11
Whoah, shit. Don't even remember making this thread. Awesome.

Well, I can safely say the meaning to life is...growth and adaptation. It's that simple, really. A material that became a new level, to defy stillness; is designed to adapt to it's surroundings and grow to become stronger for them. It happens through evolution. As well as being large with features for ourselves: we are bits multiplying for the build of evolution; a full scale growth and adaption, perhaps for a bigger evolution.

Our brains developed is really a trace of our own evolution: becoming sentient to gain easier awareness of our set environment. To be sentient we need a brain, we need senses. For instance plants and coral can be considered the oldest of lifeforms. They aren't sentient. They do not have a brain. But they can grow. And they can adapt.

Fear. Along with the form of our brains and senses, we cannot live without fear and selfishness. For not being selfish would not be percieving through our own senses, and not having any fear means lacking any foundations to survive, a.k.a being dead: becoming still again; lacking the ability to grow and adapt. (This if off subject but it's funny how people percieve fear and selfishness as negative concepts: it really depends on outcome used in physical activity, and endured within mental activity).

As for why existence exists: we'll never comprehend that. However I can link you and fellow Crunchyrollers to some mind bending facts about the universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD75zV05NQg&list=FLJR2rZWOW6KZ8ABOkQg0rTw


-----

@longfemlim: Cheers for the Ontology insight, btw
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.