First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Teach Abstinence Actually Works?
8221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / yamaku
Offline
Posted 1/26/09

Teresa_Yuuki wrote:


h3ntie wrote:


Teresa_Yuuki wrote:


h3ntie wrote:

Lulz abstinence. That shit is stupid


LULZ. ironic.


You're an iron

huh?? lol.


That's what I thought
10521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 1/26/09
Screw abstinence, let kids have unprotected sex if they want to. If they happen to get knocked up, then they get knocked up, they have to either deal with having a kid for the next 18 years or go get an abortion. Simply concept. So i dont see why people are focusing on "safe sex" or "not having sex until marriage" screw both of those, safe sex does not exist in reality, and what if the person decided to never get married ? You expect him/her to stay a virgin forever, hehe, not gonna happen, try all you want. kids these days are whores, its simple really. So stop focusing on it, like your efforts will make a real difference.
-Treiz 
65203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Houston
Offline
Posted 1/26/09
^It worked for me. No itching or scratching, no terminal illnesses, and no sudden life altering responsabilities. As far as self help plans go, abstinence is about as stupid proof as they come.
2271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/27/09
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Programs teaching U.S. schoolchildren to abstain from sex have not cut teen pregnancies or sexually transmitted diseases or delayed the age at which sex begins, health groups told Congress on Wednesday.

The Bush administration, however, voiced continuing support for such programs during a hearing before a House of Representatives panel even as many Democrats called for cutting off federal money for so-called abstinence-only instruction.

"Vast sums of federal monies continue to be directed toward these programs. And, in fact, there is evidence to suggest that some of these programs are even harmful and have negative consequences by not providing adequate information for those teens who do become sexually active," Dr. Margaret Blythe of the American Academy of Pediatrics told the committee.

These programs, backed by many social conservatives who oppose the teaching of contraception methods to teenagers in schools, have received about $1.3 billion in federal funds since the late 1990s. Currently, 17 of the 50 U.S. states refuse to accept federal funds for such programs.

Experts from the American Public Health Association and U.S. Institute of Medicine testified that scientific studies have not found that abstinence-only teaching works to cut pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases or the age when sexual activity begins.

The American Psychological Association and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists also issued statements to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform criticizing the abstinence-only programs.

Comprehensive sex education programs should emphasize abstinence as the best way for a teenager to avoid pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease (STD), Blythe said.

"Those adolescents who choose to abstain from sexual intercourse should obviously be encouraged and supported in their decisions by their families, peers and communities. But abstinence should not be the only strategy that is discussed," Blythe said.

HIGH STD RATES

Lawmakers cited government statistics showing that one in four U.S. teenage girls has a sexually transmitted disease and 30 percent of U.S. girls become pregnant before the age of 20.

Republicans said even if some abstinence-only programs do not work, others do, and it would be wrong to end the funding.

Rep. John Duncan, a Tennessee Republican, said that it seems "rather elitist" that people with academic degrees in health think they know better than parents what type of sex education is appropriate. "I don't think it's something we should abandon," he said of abstinence-only funding.

Charles Keckler of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said the Bush administration believes abstinence education programs send the healthiest message.

Stan Weed, director of the Institute for Research and Evaluation, a Utah-based group that researches abstinence programs, disagreed with the other health experts, saying research cast doubt on the effectiveness of broader, comprehensive sex education programs.

Panel chairman Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat, said, "We are showering funds on abstinence-only programs that don't appear to work, while ignoring proven comprehensive sex education programs that can delay sex, protect teens from disease, and result in fewer teen pregnancies
"Meanwhile, we have no dedicated source of federal funding specifically for comprehensive classroom sex education," Waxman added.

(Editing by Maggie Fox and Todd Eastham

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2345957620080424?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0
2281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Omnipresent
Offline
Posted 1/27/09
The true question is: Why the fuck is this abstinence debate such a big deal?
2271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/27/09
The U.S is the only developed nation that has that problem
27546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / London
Offline
Posted 1/27/09
Both should be taught. Having sex at a young age is not necessarily bad but in the end it is not a good idea.
2066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Tacloban City
Offline
Posted 2/10/09
this actually sucks. it's not practiced.
3999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / PLANET FIERCE BABY!
Offline
Posted 6/6/09
at my school, we were forced to go to this abstinence class in 7th grade. it was strange, i have to admit, but it taught me many helpful things, and i am not ashamed to say i believe in abstinence.
99 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/09
abstinence is such a stupid concept
i feel like its for morons who cant be properly taught
i mean fine if u do it
but dont go preaching like its the only form of birth control
get a damn condom
check for holes
get on birth controls
there are condoms for women too
geezus
ppl make sex so complicated
253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 6/8/09
Shouldn't it be about teaching young people about proper birth control and actual sex education. I feel when people say teaching abstinence they really mean forcing it on people's freedom to make a choice.
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 1/26/10
i disagree with all of you. I say encourage sex! comasutra classes all the way! Schools need to let students of all ages know its ok to have all the unprotected , protected, or no sex at all. Let them choose, but just be sure to encourage sex. Teach the kids how to have sex to.Teachers need to be trained to have sex propertly so they can teach the kids through examples. Sex needs to be its own subject, and kids need to be graded on how well they can have sex. This will solve all of the sexual issues kids have today.And this is how kids learn-through experience.peace over war
Posted 1/30/10
I think we should also include the psychological conditioning that the act of sex in the early age can do to children. After all, we're basically discussing about whether we should be teaching the children about safe sex in school, or not having sex on school ground at all. Because even children can have their own private social life outside of school and family, just like any other individual can.

Oh and about the teaching sex as a separate activity altogether, can you begin to imagine what the homework assignment would be like!?
Posted 1/30/10

DomFortress wrote:

I think we should also include the psychological conditioning that the act of sex in the early age can do to children. After all, we're basically discussing about whether we should be teaching the children about safe sex in school, or not having sex on school ground at all. Because even children can have their own private social life outside of school and family, just like any other individual can.

Oh and about the teaching sex as a separate activity altogether, can you begin to imagine what the homework assignment would be like!?


well I do agree with you there, safe sex does need to be taught in order to caught down on unwanted pregnancy and stop the spread of stds, but it also has to come with teaching the emotional responsibility having sex at such an early age in life. I am still a virgin because I am not sure if I am still not ready for a committed relationship with anyone as of yet or any relationship for that matter but that's my own personal preference
Posted 1/30/10

CecilTheDarkKnight_234 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

I think we should also include the psychological conditioning that the act of sex in the early age can do to children. After all, we're basically discussing about whether we should be teaching the children about safe sex in school, or not having sex on school ground at all. Because even children can have their own private social life outside of school and family, just like any other individual can.

Oh and about the teaching sex as a separate activity altogether, can you begin to imagine what the homework assignment would be like!?


well I do agree with you there, safe sex does need to be taught in order to caught down on unwanted pregnancy and stop the spread of stds, but it also has to come with teaching the emotional responsibility having sex at such an early age in life. I am still a virgin because I am not sure if I am still not ready for a committed relationship with anyone as of yet or any relationship for that matter but that's my own personal preference
I had you in mind especially when I formed that reply, because I knew you had your childhood of growing up differently than others did. Your first experience on sex was one of traumatic experience, formed not with your own consent but by other individuals' dogmatic, stigmatic, as well as twisted sense of them derive pleasure from them sexually torturing other individuals.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.