First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Animals: Do they need rights?
Posted 2/1/09 , edited 2/13/09
;I don't believe animal cruelty is justified. That's why we have animal welfare laws to deal with abusers. But nothing is more valuable than a human life. Animals eat each other to survive, so why shouldn't humans eat them to ensure our survival? After all, we are at the top of the food chain.

while my argument is lazy and not entirely well justified, heres my general point-- which is that PETA proportioned ideas about animals being likened to humans are absolutely ridiculous.

edit; tbh i think the title is a bit wrong? because i didn't know what i was really trying to talk about but, yeahhh.

yes humans are animals, but you know exactly what i'm talking about. :|
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
Humans are animals. So, animals have rights.
24918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/1/09 , edited 2/1/09
Hmm if there was a animal that surpassed the human, we would be the meat
9907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Uedas' Sparking W...
Offline
Posted 2/1/09 , edited 2/1/09
Well, why not?
Animals are a species just like us. Just because they don't speak our language or in a way we understand doesn't mean that they DON'T understand at all. It may be impossible for us to communicate with them and I think impossible for them to communicate with us, but there's most basic similarities between us and them. As cliche as it sounds, do they not DIE when you kill them? do they not need food to survive? do they not mate and have their babies just like any person (whether they lay them or give birth like a mammal, doesn't matter, life is LIFE) Don't humans do all of those? Superiority is just based on survival of the fittest, and they can't defend themselves from the advanced technology of a human. To me the real question is "If it were you, would you want some one to defend you?"

So in my opnion, yes. They do deserve the rights. Because we have no rights ourselves. Just because we are human does NOT mean they are less important. We have more to thank them for than led on.
Posted 2/1/09
yea for animals that are taken out of their environment by poachers & abused in unimaginable ways....
8211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
Yup they do..

They have feelings too you know. Im not against killing certain animals (Like chickens, ducks, cows....), but I say if you want to do it, then do it right. Give them a quick and painless death.
5156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
i agree we need to slaughter them for our survival.
but i do not agree with what u said about their rights
they have rights. whos to judge that WE are the one in the right, and not in the wrong? just because they cant talk and cant communicate with us, does not mean that they dont operate just like us. WE ourselves are animals, just more revolutionized.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
Humans are animals, and they have rights, so animals arealdy have rights.
1846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Davis, California
Offline
Posted 2/1/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Humans are animals, and they have rights, so animals arealdy have rights.


Technically, you mean "certain animals such as humans have certain rights." But I understand your point, as ironic as it is.haha.

1846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Davis, California
Offline
Posted 2/1/09 , edited 2/1/09

Senta wrote:

.... I don't think so. 83. imo, animals are not humans, so why do people make such a fuss when they are treated as, well, animals? Animal meat is an important source of iron and protein. Farms that raise animals hep feed our children and boost our economy -- so I think we have a right to operate them. If you're a vegetarian, I guess I understand that most of you are offended when animals are... being killed for food, but >_> Some people like meat. Nothing you can do about it.

Now, I don't believe animal cruelty is justified. That's why we have animal welfare laws to deal with abusers. But nothing is more valuable than a human life. Animals eat each other to survive, so why shouldn't humans eat them to ensure our survival? After all, we are at the top of the food chain.


Discuss.


I agree with you overall. Especially with your last paragraph. However sense you support animal welfare laws(As I do) you technically are for animal rights IMHO. It's one thing to kill an animal for food, accesories and such. It's another to abuse an animal for no other reason other then pleasure as it is not only cruel but also extremely unecessary and wasteful.

There's my two cents.haha.
33884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
To a certain extent, I think there should be laws about their treatment before their death and about animal abuse, but I know we can't stop people from killing them for food.
Posted 2/1/09 , edited 2/1/09

jewishplayer wrote:

Humans are animals. So, animals have rights.


I knew someone was going to say that.

think of it this way; You > Chicken Wing. I mean imo .. yeah, I guess I would "feel bad" if I was slaughtered but.. >_> I'm not a chicken. I will never be a chicken. .. efiowehghh *hard to put in words*.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/1/09

Hokuto-sama wrote:
As cliche as it sounds, do they not DIE when you kill them? do they not need food to survive? do they not mate and have their babies just like any person (whether they lay them or give birth like a mammal, doesn't matter, life is LIFE) Don't humans do all of those?


I'm assuming you're against eating animals, since you never stated otherwise.

Plants do all of those too. Should we not eat them as well?
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 2/1/09
no they don't deserve rights. We are dominant, we can do whatever we want with the weaker species, i thought thats what Darwin would have wanted society to behave
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/1/09

LemonyPanda wrote:

no they don't deserve rights. We are dominant, we can do whatever we want with the weaker species, i thought thats what Darwin would have wanted society to behave


What makes you think that that is what Darwin wanted? Why do his desires matter?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.