Created by Assault911
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
RELIGION VS SCIENCE
85434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/11/09
First of all I reject the premise that there is a conflict between science and religion - though they have separate spheres, they do overlap. Can't be proved? Neither can evolution! Where is the repeatable experiment that proves life has or could originate without an intelligent agent (creator)? Same with DNA. Electricity? Without Jesus electricity would never have been invented! Many (most) of the early scientists were either professing Christians or were funded by the church. Christianity provided the philosophical basis that allowed science to flourish to begin with: An intelligent God created and intelligible world governed by laws discoverable by the intelligent being He created. No where else did or could science have arisen without Christianity. Islam believed the world was because Allah willed it (and if he changed his mind the laws would change), Hinduism believed the world was god - thus to discover the laws of science was either sacrilegious or impossible. Something like 90% of every scientific discovery up until WWII was made in a western (Judeo/Christian) Country. Can Science explain love? Why has irreligion killed more people in the last 100 years than religion in the past 2,000? Science without moral restraint is tyranny (C.S. Lewis: The Abolition of Man)
5195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / my world class MU...
Offline
Posted 2/11/09 , edited 2/11/09
I think so too. One day, Science and Religon will be able to co-exist and there will be a compromise between the 2 parties. After the initial chaos, ppl will come to accept that all of the religons and science were not complete, just like with every person that continues the message in broken telephone, the message will get distorted. i believe that the true message was distorted by all of the religons.

btw, many scientists are religous people. which side do u think they take?
2320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09

Sushi2080 wrote:


Assault911 wrote:

But Moses is just a rumor, science have real proof. AIso, you won't find heaven, if you dead, you're going to be along with the ants & pIagues from underground. Or peopIe wiII burn your body. No such thing as afterlife. Anyway, your proof just a rumor, no one can proof religion in modern worId, but you can proof science. By the way, where you Iearn Moses and Jesus.
I can teII why you beIieve reIigion over science.
1)OId peopIe Iike you, granny, are trust reIigions. (You're 68 years old)
2)Cuz you're femaIe.
3)You're probabIy from some tribute or Iive inside the cave.
You said peopIe die then they can see god? Why don't you just sucuide then, then you go to your n00b heaven, when you see the god. Take a picture then return here, then I wiII trust you.
To answer your question - Science is the study of everything in the universe except for rumor and mentaI. AIso, humans wiII try to use spaceship to make a new coIony on Mars.


How do you know if there is no afterlife? Did someone die and come back as a ghost to inform you on that? If my proof is not good enough for you then obviously yours isn't either. Your statement has no backed up evidence. Science also has theories that cannot be proved also so what is to say that science is better than religion? Y'know, scientist have discovered that there was in fact a great flood a long time ago and it may be from the time of Noah's Ark. Aren't you in a pickle.

Your assumptions are ridiculous and very sexist.

I am not 68 as it is just a number to fool others and it has obviously worked on you.

What does being a woman have anything to do with religion? Isn't the Pope a man? Wasn't Jesus a man? Wasn't Muhammad (sp?) a man? Wasn't Buddha a man? All the priests, reverends and fathers a male. Are you trying to stereotype females that since we are feminine we lean more towards Jesus? I really don't understand what gender has anything to do with this. Age as well. Does it have to do with eras? You're not making any sense. You've gotta stop generalizing and open your bloody mind!

I do not live in a cave since I have the internet. Wasn't that a bit clear? Or are you just thinking that all religious people are cavemen/women?

I will not suicide because God has given me life and I don't want to take it for granted. Of course not all people are going to see God when they die, just the pure in heart etc. You'll probably rot in the ground and have worms & maggots as friends or just plainly burn in hell.

I know what science is. Your answer if very broad though. Probably won't get a full mark on your exam if you answered it like that. I'm not here for you to trust me - if you did that would be a miracle. I'm here to tell you to be more open minded about other people's religions. So I believe in God. So what? Why are you getting so worked up about it? Do you even know what religion means? It's not just people serving God. It could be an obsession a person could have or a strong set of values or beliefs they live by. A person living for money is also a religion and science could be yours.


You're so idiotic, your parents give you Iife, not the god. They aII work together, so don't insuIt science.
Ok, the proof you say are from ancient, so this is just a rumor. You can't proof religion in the modern worId.
2320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

dougeprofile wrote:

First of all I reject the premise that there is a conflict between science and religion - though they have separate spheres, they do overlap. Can't be proved? Neither can evolution! Where is the repeatable experiment that proves life has or could originate without an intelligent agent (creator)? Same with DNA. Electricity? Without Jesus electricity would never have been invented! Many (most) of the early scientists were either professing Christians or were funded by the church. Christianity provided the philosophical basis that allowed science to flourish to begin with: An intelligent God created and intelligible world governed by laws discoverable by the intelligent being He created. No where else did or could science have arisen without Christianity. Islam believed the world was because Allah willed it (and if he changed his mind the laws would change), Hinduism believed the world was god - thus to discover the laws of science was either sacrilegious or impossible. Something like 90% of every scientific discovery up until WWII was made in a western (Judeo/Christian) Country. Can Science explain love? Why has irreligion killed more people in the last 100 years than religion in the past 2,000? Science without moral restraint is tyranny (C.S. Lewis: The Abolition of Man)


PeopIe started to beIieve science in the Iast 100 years, Iike you say, science reaIIy destroy over 100 miIIion peopIe even over number reIigion. Now peopIe use science to creat Weapon of Mass Destruction, I hope they don't use those weapons anymore. Cuz the new scientific weapon abIe to destroy the worId. ReIigion never come true but it can teach peopIe, then they have better mentaI, cuz they trust & faith to the gods. But without science, I think we Iive in caves now. They both are work together.
10637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / cali
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09
religion is stupid.
it's only not stupid when it gives people H O P E

other than that, it's stupid
so obviously science.
1809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
i choose science. If religion had its way we would all still be burning wiches at the stake and crusading aginst other religions cuz they were evil.



if we dident have religion to hold us back im almost certian we would be at least 50+ years more advanced then we are currently.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Maui
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09
I chose science but I think the world needs both to survive.

You can't totally rely on just one. Like for those of you with faith in your religion. Some of you say you can make do without science, i seriously doubt that. If your special loved one got sick or something, like say cancer, are you not gonna seek medical help? You can stick with your religion and pray with all your might for your almighty "God" to heal your loved one and wait and see if that works or are you going to science for help? If you really had to pick one and only one which would you choose? You can choose and say all you want now but when you're backed into a corner what are you really going to do?

Instead of "Religion VS Science" it should be "Religion & Science". Working together to better the world.
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

mauigrown wrote:

I chose science but I think the world needs both to survive.

You can't totally rely on just one. Like for those of you with faith in your religion. Some of you say you can make do without science, i seriously doubt that. If your special loved one got sick or something, like say cancer, are you not gonna seek medical help? You can stick with your religion and pray with all your might for your almighty "God" to heal your loved one and wait and see if that works or are you going to science for help? If you really had to pick one and only one which would you choose? You can choose and say all you want now but when you're backed into a corner what are you really going to do?

Instead of "Religion VS Science" it should be "Religion & Science". Working together to better the world.


there actually are some religious people who do live without science and technology, but you wont find them on the internet. (like and amish and religious cults) peace over war
4294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

Assault911 wrote:


dougeprofile wrote:

First of all I reject the premise that there is a conflict between science and religion - though they have separate spheres, they do overlap. Can't be proved? Neither can evolution! Where is the repeatable experiment that proves life has or could originate without an intelligent agent (creator)? Same with DNA. Electricity? Without Jesus electricity would never have been invented! Many (most) of the early scientists were either professing Christians or were funded by the church. Christianity provided the philosophical basis that allowed science to flourish to begin with: An intelligent God created and intelligible world governed by laws discoverable by the intelligent being He created. No where else did or could science have arisen without Christianity. Islam believed the world was because Allah willed it (and if he changed his mind the laws would change), Hinduism believed the world was god - thus to discover the laws of science was either sacrilegious or impossible. Something like 90% of every scientific discovery up until WWII was made in a western (Judeo/Christian) Country. Can Science explain love? Why has irreligion killed more people in the last 100 years than religion in the past 2,000? Science without moral restraint is tyranny (C.S. Lewis: The Abolition of Man)


PeopIe started to beIieve science in the Iast 100 years, Iike you say, science reaIIy destroy over 100 miIIion peopIe even over number reIigion. Now peopIe use science to creat Weapon of Mass Destruction, I hope they don't use those weapons anymore. Cuz the new scientific weapon abIe to destroy the worId. ReIigion never come true but it can teach peopIe, then they have better mentaI, cuz they trust & faith to the gods. But without science, I think we Iive in caves now. They both are work together.


how old r you? you seem to argue your points very...unintelligently...but i suppose one cant expect much from a thread joke like "science vs religion". its just as pointless as putting "science vs government" or "science vs philosophy" its like apples vs oranges, it really depends on what suits you best. personaly i think you have very little knowlege of either science or religion, because you have yet to give a right definition to either. peace over war
85434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
Science is not the only branch of human knowledge either - what about philosophy? Is it false because it is not "scientific"? Truth is not the exclusive domain of science. In our current world science has become its own religion. The Bible has proven to be historically accurate in every detail that can be independently verified - which lends credibility to the rest. For example: the existence of David (the guy who killed Goliath) as been verified by the discovery of a seal referencing "the house of David". The book of Acts has been proven accurate in its historical detail and nautical references.

Science and religion are not inimical, faith in either can be misguided (I would argue it takes more faith to believe in evolution than creation). Who wants to live without science? Not me - or any Christian I have ever known, there is no conflict between my Christian faith and science - there conflict lies between my faith and the current naturalistic philosophy dominant in science today. What a ridiculous ascertain! My faith says it is God who gives the doctor the skill and intelligence to be a skilled physician (he is responsible to use and develop those skills). Yes God does heal, prayer does make a difference - as scientific studies have proven. I am a Christian because I have rationally weighed the evidence and come to that conclusion - not simply "because the Bible tells me so." If someone can convince me otherwise I will reject it - science has not made that case, rather it supports my faith.

If you don't believe in God, no pictures, scientific proof, or divine miracles will convince you; Jesus performed miracles (before many witnesses), was God in the flesh ...and still humanity turned against Him and killed Him. The human heart has not changed - "proof" won't convince either you or the majority of humanity. The Bible is a record of God proving Himself to man and man telling God to "get the hell out of my life!"
12957 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / in ur heart ♥
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
science
Posted 2/12/09
My own beliefs. But I chose Science over Religion.
2320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

JJT2 wrote:


Assault911 wrote:


dougeprofile wrote:

First of all I reject the premise that there is a conflict between science and religion - though they have separate spheres, they do overlap. Can't be proved? Neither can evolution! Where is the repeatable experiment that proves life has or could originate without an intelligent agent (creator)? Same with DNA. Electricity? Without Jesus electricity would never have been invented! Many (most) of the early scientists were either professing Christians or were funded by the church. Christianity provided the philosophical basis that allowed science to flourish to begin with: An intelligent God created and intelligible world governed by laws discoverable by the intelligent being He created. No where else did or could science have arisen without Christianity. Islam believed the world was because Allah willed it (and if he changed his mind the laws would change), Hinduism believed the world was god - thus to discover the laws of science was either sacrilegious or impossible. Something like 90% of every scientific discovery up until WWII was made in a western (Judeo/Christian) Country. Can Science explain love? Why has irreligion killed more people in the last 100 years than religion in the past 2,000? Science without moral restraint is tyranny (C.S. Lewis: The Abolition of Man)


PeopIe started to beIieve science in the Iast 100 years, Iike you say, science reaIIy destroy over 100 miIIion peopIe even over number reIigion. Now peopIe use science to creat Weapon of Mass Destruction, I hope they don't use those weapons anymore. Cuz the new scientific weapon abIe to destroy the worId. ReIigion never come true but it can teach peopIe, then they have better mentaI, cuz they trust & faith to the gods. But without science, I think we Iive in caves now. They both are work together.


how old r you? you seem to argue your points very...unintelligently...but i suppose one cant expect much from a thread joke like "science vs religion". its just as pointless as putting "science vs government" or "science vs philosophy" its like apples vs oranges, it really depends on what suits you best. personaly i think you have very little knowlege of either science or religion, because you have yet to give a right definition to either. peace over war


Religion & Science
ReIigion: PeopIe use reIigion for reason for war over 4000 years history, they war because their reIigion is different. Many peopIe die of the war.
Science: PeopIe started to use scientific techonoIogy since the Iast 300 years, they war with the terribIe weapons Iike nuke, over 50 miIIion peopIe who die in WWII.
Posted 2/12/09
Science. My religion is kinda based on science. We don't believe that there is such a thing called "GOD," who supposedly decided to create the whole universe one day. >->
85434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09
Basically people don't kill each other because of either science or religion - they do it because those things are in their hearts. It is surprising how many riots in the 3rd world use religion as a pretext when the real motive is coveting someone's goods. But here too is another premise I reject: war is not evil! Was it evil to use war to defeat Hitler? Was the American revolution evil? I hope America always has the biggest badest weapons; I could care less who hates America.

...Actually it was 6 days

I am 36 and have read quite a bit on the subject, calling me unintelligent (which is far from true by the way) does nothing for your argument. You are completely wrong - give me an example of an "unintelligent" statement and intelligently refute my argument - if you can
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.