First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
A Failed Japanese Policy to Save The Dying Anime Industry, The Anime Textbooks
Posted 2/9/09 , edited 2/9/09

Last Christmas, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government released a series of anime textbooks(http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/INET/OSHIRASE/2008/12/20icf300.htm). The textbooks cover the planning, production, and business sides of the industry. The books also include an instructional DVD about how to draw the movement of people and animals. It is hoped that the books will encourage younger Japanese to join the anime industry.

Honestly, I believe this is a failed policy at recruiting the Japanese youth into a dying Japanese anime industry. And at the same time the Japanese government failed to respond to a real crisis that the Japanese population is aging too rapidly for the Japanese society to maintain industry & production standard with its aging and soon-to-be retiring workforces, when they're wasting efforts on educating the Japanese youth on a dying industry.

This article on ANN talked about the average salary of the Japanese animators 4 years ago:

Animator's Salaries(http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-11-02/animator%27s-salaries)

Japanese Animators Paid Significantly Less than North Americans
The Daily Yomiuri has reported on a survey detailing the salaries earned by Japanese animators.

Only 83 animators answered the survey.

Working an average of 10.2 hours a day, 49.5% of them reported that they feel that their salaries are not sufficient for the work they do and 90% of them feel that the benefits and pensions are insufficient.

26.8% earn less than 1 million yen (US$8,500 approx.) annually, 19.6% earn between 1 million yen and 2 million yen (US$17,000 approx.) annually, 18.6% earn between 2 million yen and 3 million yen (US$25,700 approx.) annually. 65% of Japanese animators earn less than 3 million yen annually.

One category of animators, the storyboard animators who are responsible for drawing up outlines and sketches of how the animation will run, earns even less. They are often paid on a "per frame" basis, earning an average of 187 yen (US$1.60 approx.) per frame. 73.7% of these animators earn less than 1 million yen per year and the highest paid storyboard animators earn at most 80% of what other types of animators make.

According to Salary.com, the average salary for an animator in the United States is US$55,000. According to the Arts Institute of California, the average starting salary for animators who graduate from that institute is US$31,000.

Geidankyo, the organization that conducted the survey stated that working and remuneration conditions be improved for animators.

Keep in mind that the article was nearly 4 years old, and due to market inflation, money worth less than today as it was before. Also, the working condition of the Japanese animators had only gone from bad to worst since then.

Here's another more resent article from ANN, regarding an official anime industry report conducted by the Japanese government, about the unfair working conditions in today's anime industry:

Anime Firms Say They Were Forced to Take Low Tenders(http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-25/anime-firms-say-they-were-forced-to-take-low-tenders)

Report says 40%+ of respondents were forced to accept low payments

The Fair Trade Commission of the Japanese government has issued a report on the state of the domestic animation industry on Friday. Over 40% of the companies that responded to the commission's survey said that they had been forced to accept low tenders from the companies that commissioned animation work. Such low payments, if verified, would be violations of Japan's Anti-monopoly Law.

The respondents told the commission, "We had to accept the schedule based on the production cost of a preposterously low budget
for each animator without any consideration for holidays," and, "The commissioning company canceled the order without explanation, and did not compensate us for expenses already incurred for the production."

The commission surveyed 533 companies, and 114 responded. 42.4% of the responses said that the companies had to take low payments without sufficient negotiations. While 82 of the responding companies themselves farmed out subcontracting work to other companies, only 14 of them said they always arranged the contract conditions in writing before work began. 62.8% of the companies were small outfits with 10 million yen (about US$100,000) or less in capital each. Only 19.5% had more than 50 million yen (about US$500,000) in capital. 30.1% of the companies had 10 employees or less, although 63.7% had between 11 and 100 employees.

According to a May 2008 survey by The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA), the anime industry's market grew every year from 2003 to 2006, but shrank in 2007. In 2003, the market was worth 167.4 billion yen (US$1.9 billion), including revenues from television, film, video production and rights, video sales, distribution, merchandising, overseas business, music, and publishing. In 2006, it reached a high of 258.8 billion yen (US$2.9 billion), only to fall to 239.6 billion yen (US$2.7 billion) in the following year.

Here are the PDF links to the report itself in Japanese:
http://www.jftc.go.jp/pressrelease/09.january/090123.pdf
http://www.jftc.go.jp/pressrelease/09.january/090123houkokusyo01.pdf
http://www.jftc.go.jp/pressrelease/09.january/090123houkokusyo02.pdf

On top of it all, the anime textbooks cost nearly $113 US. Now how effective is that policy going to convince anyone to enslave themselves in a dying entertainment industry, when the majority of so called fans of the said entertainment worldwide, would rather commit intellectual property theft and steal from the industry, rather than supporting it, is anybody's guess. But IMHO, I have a better chance to see anime industry gets wiped out by internet anime piracy before that happens.
2528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / America
Offline
Posted 2/9/09
I want my hands on those textbooks!!!!! But the anime industry must continue to live on!!!
1140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/9/09
well im pretty sure these animators arent really well educated and therefore, their pay is low . However even if we support the anime industry, it gives no guarantee that these workers will actually get paid even more. Most likely the anime industry will continue to pay them low wages so the higher ups can get more money. As of right now of course the anime industry will be in recession, because the whole world's economy. Why would the people spend money on something like anime, when they can be used to buy more meaningful things that would benefit their families. People now dont have the money to spend on entertainment as before. It isnt only the anime industry being hurt here, other industries are failing as well.
466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Diana
Offline
Posted 2/9/09
I can't really see the anime industry DIEING completely though. Maybe going a little bad. But anime is too popular to die I think any ways. I'm certainly no expert. But a lot of people like anime. It's deffinatly a poblem. Japan seems to be having a lot of economic problems these days on top of that, but who doesn't?
Posted 2/9/09
honestly, the economy needs to look into revamping ALOT of systems. Anime creators, voice actors, etc., do not get the money they deserve...but this is the fault of the anime companies unfortunately and the japanese government who rly need to understand the time and effort that goes into this work. Then again if i had a say in pay I wouldnt pay voice actors/real actors a high salary as it is cause there are way more important jobs out there that merit better pay. Hell if you look at the real world today....teachers get paid the same salary as trashmen...so you know something is wrong.


Fyi, the internet will not kill the anime industry...if anything the recession will and thats a known fact to everyone.
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09

ashwara1 wrote:

well im pretty sure these animators arent really well educated and therefore, their pay is low . However even if we support the anime industry, it gives no guarantee that these workers will actually get paid even more. Most likely the anime industry will continue to pay them low wages so the higher ups can get more money. As of right now of course the anime industry will be in recession, because the whole world's economy. Why would the people spend money on something like anime, when they can be used to buy more meaningful things that would benefit their families. People now dont have the money to spend on entertainment as before. It isnt only the anime industry being hurt here, other industries are failing as well.

There are several points I would like to make regarding to your statement.

If what you said is true that animators in general aren't really well educated, then the problem is not due to the economic recession, but the education system in general. It would also suggest that the Japanese animators were unskilled, lacked real training, and therefore the animations aren't good in overall quality. So then why there are obviously fans of anime worldwide, when anime should be this low quality, low tech, cheap entertainment made by untalented, uneducated, third rated artists? And it's popular only by the internet anime piracy, not legitimacy.

The anime industry report was conducted by the Fair Trade Commission of the Japanese government, and not by the industry themselves. This is a step in the right direction by the Japanese government, to hold businesses responsible and accountable through transparency. And transparency is what any business needs, in order to treat their employees with fairness.

Personally, I'm getting rather bored hearing people throwing around the term "economic recession", without them even understand the meaning of the term and the cause of it. Our economy enters a state of recession because people in general don't want to spend any resources on getting much of anything. But that's no excuse for stealing anime without paying via internet anime piracy. Because obviously there are people who want anime and are getting it, but they won't pay for it. That's not economic recession, that's people in general lacking respect and accountability. They still want to be entertained, however not because the entertainment is good, but it's in fact cheap and low tech. And they'll get it through copyright infringement even though it's uncivil, immoral, disrespectful, criminal, and overall wrong.
3439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/09
Wow.... I didn't know the anime industry was dying. I thought it would only get better becos of improved technology and all that. Sad
114162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09
humanity is on the road to its own ruin... this is what happens when we put so much value on somethings
2449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 支仓
Offline
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09
Wait a second they dropped that much in a year? How the hell (I'm talking about the "In 2006, it reached a high of 258.8 billion yen (US$2.9 billion), only to fall to 239.6 billion yen (US$2.7 billion) in the following year." part.).

Edit: Also what did those textbooks include and where were they distributed academically? Only in colleges or did you have to buy them yourself?
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09
Maybe they should recruit non-Japanese artists . Or increase their income . Or get people
who can draw as well as a regular Japanese artist who can be paid less , kind of like franchising
in business , if it`s possible .
1140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/09 , edited 2/10/09

DomFortress wrote:


ashwara1 wrote:

well im pretty sure these animators arent really well educated and therefore, their pay is low . However even if we support the anime industry, it gives no guarantee that these workers will actually get paid even more. Most likely the anime industry will continue to pay them low wages so the higher ups can get more money. As of right now of course the anime industry will be in recession, because the whole world's economy. Why would the people spend money on something like anime, when they can be used to buy more meaningful things that would benefit their families. People now dont have the money to spend on entertainment as before. It isnt only the anime industry being hurt here, other industries are failing as well.

There are several points I would like to make regarding to your statement.

If what you said is true that animators in general aren't really well educated, then the problem is not due to the economic recession, but the education system in general. It would also suggest that the Japanese animators were unskilled, lacked real training, and therefore the animations aren't good in overall quality. So then why there are obviously fans of anime worldwide, when anime should be this low quality, low tech, cheap entertainment made by untalented, uneducated, third rated artists? And it's popular only by the internet anime piracy, not legitimacy.

The anime industry report was conducted by the Fair Trade Commission of the Japanese government, and not by the industry themselves. This is a step in the right direction by the Japanese government, to hold businesses responsible and accountable through transparency. And transparency is what any business needs, in order to treat their employees with fairness.

Personally, I'm getting rather bored hearing people throwing around the term "economic recession", without them even understand the meaning of the term and the cause of it. Our economy enters a state of recession because people in general don't want to spend any resources on getting much of anything. But that's no excuse for stealing anime without paying via internet anime piracy. Because obviously there are people who want anime and are getting it, but they won't pay for it. That's not economic recession, that's people in general lacking respect and accountability. They still want to be entertained, however not because the entertainment is good, but it's in fact cheap and low tech. And they'll get it through copyright infringement even though it's uncivil, immoral, disrespectful, criminal, and overall wrong.


Yes, i still do believe that animators are uneducated, because learning how to use photoshop or whatever program used doesn't require any special ability. I think of animator as a job similar to that of a person on an assembly line. They learn how to draw clothes and faces and then repeat.

I do know what causes recession and the meaning of it. What i am implying is why the anime industry isn't doing so well. The way i see it is that economic recession -> no one buying anime -> piracy. Though i kind of contradicted myself on my point that recession is the cause, you get what i mean. Both Piracy and the economy are both at fault because one leads to another. You can say piracy is a cause of the declining industry, but have you ever though what causes it? Simple: nobody wants to spend money AKA recession

Also even if you say it was incorrect, as i said before it is impossible to stop piracy in a country as large as the United States. As i read before with the person being caught in Japan. Japan is a small country and therefore people can be tracked down. How is the United States going to fund this? Why would the United States fund a small industry in their country? Although it is growing, it still isn't large enough to persuade officials to spend resources to stop it.

Do you think you can stop piracy by just saying it is bad? it that were so, then society would definitely be a better place.

As as to you, "I'm getting rather bored" of you keep repeating that stealing is wrong and therefore we should buy anime to support the industry. I'm still dismayed that your posts still havent reached the crunchyroll population. I respect your decision to help persuade people to do the right thing, but honestly, the guilt factor will not convince people to buy stuff. It would be wise to use other persuasive techniques to get people to purchase anime. Even if it doesn't work, i hope that your will power will soon go away since a lot of the people here aren't exactly pleased with you and your condemning people on stealing calling them criminals or whatever negative stuff you can throw at them.

take a more positive attitude toward the viewers of your post and maybe you might convince some
or
give up on your quest

just a question to you, do you think that your efforts are making an impact?
25126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / England
Offline
Posted 2/10/09

snow-chibi wrote:

Maybe they should recruit non-Japanese artists . Or increase their income . Or get people
who can draw as well as a regular Japanese artist who can be paid less , kind of like franchising
in business , if it`s possible .


Solution to that is joining up with Disney lol, the got hell lot of money. lols

in more serious note, they're in the dirt, but so is the world at the moment.
Posted 2/10/09

uhohimdead wrote:

humanity is on the road to its own ruin... this is what happens when we put so much value on somethings

You aren't being clear with your statement there, and it felt rather shallow. Just what exactly did we put too much value on?
Posted 2/10/09

Skeithcruor wrote:

Wait a second they dropped that much in a year? How the hell (I'm talking about the "In 2006, it reached a high of 258.8 billion yen (US$2.9 billion), only to fall to 239.6 billion yen (US$2.7 billion) in the following year." part.).

Edit: Also what did those textbooks include and where were they distributed academically? Only in colleges or did you have to buy them yourself?

The anime textbooks cover the planning, production, and business sides of the industry. The books also include an instructional DVD about how to draw the movement of people and animals. And you'll need to purchase them at $113 per set.
Posted 2/10/09

snow-chibi wrote:

Maybe they should recruit non-Japanese artists . Or increase their income . Or get people
who can draw as well as a regular Japanese artist who can be paid less
, kind of like franchising
in business , if it`s possible .

Your first and third points are the reasons why the Japanese anime industry are outsourcing their works to foreign workshops outside of Japan. As for your second point, the anime industry must first increase licensed anime media sales before that can happen. However the worldwide anime media market is so over saturated by the internet anime piracy, there is literally no demand for legitimate anime media.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.