First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
[JDrama~2009] Smile
Posted 2/12/09
gaky + jun ??
not a very good couple....
607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Paris, France
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09

ibkuri86 wrote:

I don't get what is the big deal that Matsumoto is going to play a half filipino? Like it is a bit out of nowhere...then again I never paid much attention in my eastern civ class...was there like crazy history stuff going on?

There's hella crazy history crap between the Filipinos and the Japanese. See all the Filipino kids on Crunchyroll? They love their anime and J-dramas - and quite a few of them have relatives in or from Japan - but I'm willing to bet someone in their family fought the Japanese, or were trying desperately not to be attacked by the Japanese, only a little over sixty years ago. (My grandpa was a guerrilla fighter at 16... and he's part Japanese LOL.) Manila was the second most damaged major city in World War II, behind Warsaw (and remember, the war STARTED in Poland so they had more time to get damaged). Also, there's the whole raping and pillaging thing.

Nowadays, loads of Filipinos go to Japan for work - some of it is just plain hard work, like domestic work or nursing, but a disproportionate amount of women go as "entertainers," with or against their will (Japan has cut down on human trafficking though). Hence the Dragon Zakura thing - lots of Filipino women - and some men - work in hostess bars and cabarets and stuff because it pays a lot. Well, a lot more than in Angeles City, anyway - there's objectification and exploitation of Pinays going on in the Philippines as well as overseas. Plus there's always a stigma in being a foreigner - or part foreign - in Japan.

And while we're on the subject of World War II, can people please stop using the word "Jap"? I know it may not have historical significance in other countries, but in North American English it is a very offensive term. Sure, it's just three little letters, but in the 40s (and up to now) it was like calling a black person the n-word. Like when the trucker in HYD Final calls Domyouji a Jap - it's certainly not to flatter him LOL

Also, don't trip about not paying attention in Eastern Civ because they never talk about the Filipinos anyway >_<

Okay, history lesson over - back to Matsujun fangirling XD
607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Paris, France
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09

eunimic wrote:

I doubt if the youth of Japan knows that there was a bloody history between the two countries. I'm not sure if it's even listed in their history books but it is in our textbook but Filipinos tend to forget bad memories such as wars. Look how friendly we are with Americans, how appreciative of Animes & Jdrama, how visible the Spanish mark.


Probably not, because I remember that in an interview for "Letters from Iwo Jima" Nino said that Iwo Jima (or their defeat on it) wasn't even in the textbooks and he had to talk to his grandpa about war. Japan has this thing about omitting certain unsavoury parts of history at times.

I disagree that Filipinos forget about war - my grandparents have so many "panahon ng mga Hapon" stories, especially since they were in the Hukbalakhap and thus had to be on the lookout for the Japanese 24/7. Believe me, memories of the war are still there. I think our friendliness with other countries has more of an economic basis (Japan and America are pretty rich compared to PI, even with the horrible American economy, and the Euro is definitely stronger than American dollars at the moment).

Anime is just fun - people with hardly any ties to Japan, such as Latin Americans, enjoy it as an imported product. Since we're due south of Japan, it would stand to reason that we'd get a whole load of their imports. Same for Jdramas, although acquaintances and personal experience tell me that Korea has made bigger drama waves on our shores.

We're friendly with America because we used to be a colony of it LOL. It enforced its power on us, and while it was horrible and bloody at the beginning they at least provided us with some economic and governmental support through the last century. (By the way, I grew up in America XDDDD)

The Spanish? While the architecture and other influences on our culture are beautiful, they also imposed a colonial, white-and-might-make-right mentality that has stayed with us through Spanish, American AND Japanese rule. I resent the Eurocentrism that has tainted our history and our current collective consciousness (never mind that I've lived in Europe as well LOL... I have my own reasons for that.)

(Sorry that was so long LOL! International relations, especially concerning Filipinos, are a complicated thing. :D)

1292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

agentduckiechan wrote:


eunimic wrote:

I doubt if the youth of Japan knows that there was a bloody history between the two countries. I'm not sure if it's even listed in their history books but it is in our textbook but Filipinos tend to forget bad memories such as wars. Look how friendly we are with Americans, how appreciative of Animes & Jdrama, how visible the Spanish mark.


Probably not, because I remember that in an interview for "Letters from Iwo Jima" Nino said that Iwo Jima (or their defeat on it) wasn't even in the textbooks and he had to talk to his grandpa about war. Japan has this thing about omitting certain unsavoury parts of history at times.

I disagree that Filipinos forget about war - my grandparents have so many "panahon ng mga Hapon" stories, especially since they were in the Hukbalakhap and thus had to be on the lookout for the Japanese 24/7. Believe me, memories of the war are still there. I think our friendliness with other countries has more of an economic basis (Japan and America are pretty rich compared to PI, even with the horrible American economy, and the Euro is definitely stronger than American dollars at the moment).

Anime is just fun - people with hardly any ties to Japan, such as Latin Americans, enjoy it as an imported product. Since we're due south of Japan, it would stand to reason that we'd get a whole load of their imports. Same for Jdramas, although acquaintances and personal experience tell me that Korea has made bigger drama waves on our shores.

We're friendly with America because we used to be a colony of it LOL. It enforced its power on us, and while it was horrible and bloody at the beginning they at least provided us with some economic and governmental support through the last century. (By the way, I grew up in America XDDDD)

The Spanish? While the architecture and other influences on our culture are beautiful, they also imposed a colonial, white-and-might-make-right mentality that has stayed with us through Spanish, American AND Japanese rule. I resent the Eurocentrism that has tainted our history and our current collective consciousness (never mind that I've lived in Europe as well LOL... I have my own reasons for that.)

(Sorry that was so long LOL! International relations, especially concerning Filipinos, are a complicated thing. :D)



Japan is not the only place that will omitts their history. Here in America too...well depends where in America. My friend from Ohio didn't know that Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese until she saw the movie Pearl Harbor; also didn't know that the Japanese, Italians, and other races were put into interment camps.

Thanks to all that explained why people making such a huge deal that matsumoto was playing a half filipino guy.
I second to what agentduckiechan said about the whole jap thing. I am half japanese but I didn't want to bring it up, but since she brought it up...It is a bit offensive.

Also sorry to make this forum into like a whole history lesson thing.

607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Paris, France
Offline
Posted 2/12/09 , edited 2/12/09

ibkuri86 wrote:

Japan is not the only place that will omitts their history. Here in America too...well depends where in America. My friend from Ohio didn't know that Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese until she saw the movie Pearl Harbor; also didn't know that the Japanese, Italians, and other races were put into interment camps.

Thanks to all that explained why people making such a huge deal that matsumoto was playing a half filipino guy.
I second to what agentduckiechan said about the whole jap thing. I am half japanese but I didn't want to bring it up, but since she brought it up...It is a bit offensive.

Also sorry to make this forum into like a whole history lesson thing.



I never said Japan was the ONLY place that omits/alters their history, LOL... I should've made that clear. Sorry For example, American texts spend no more than one or two paragraphs on the acquisition of the Philippines as a territory when getting those islands turned out to be a VERY strategic move, especially towards the middle of the twentieth century. I'm pretty lucky to be a UC kid because then someone will always question something in the records and then a lively discussion (and more accurate information) will come up.

Also, dude, if you're half-Japanese you're way more legit than I am in terms of bringing this up LOL.

Yeah, sorry about the whole history lesson thing... haha. But hey, I like a little social and artistic consciousness mixed in with my fangirling. I'm taking a Japanese Cinema course at school this term so if anyone wants to discuss the merits of Akira Kurosawa (just wrote a paper about him) in light of Matsujun's remake of "The Hidden Fortress," well... I'm here. XD

So. Uh. KYAAAAAAA MATSUJUN!!! <3
11501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
omg jun and gakky !?
im sooooooo watching it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / unknown
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
omg..i never imagine them being paired up together
i hope this drama will be awesome
722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
I'll check it out when it is available to watch it! But I still like Mao-chan with Jun though
722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

agentduckiechan wrote:


ibkuri86 wrote:

I don't get what is the big deal that Matsumoto is going to play a half filipino? Like it is a bit out of nowhere...then again I never paid much attention in my eastern civ class...was there like crazy history stuff going on?

There's hella crazy history crap between the Filipinos and the Japanese. See all the Filipino kids on Crunchyroll? They love their anime and J-dramas - and quite a few of them have relatives in or from Japan - but I'm willing to bet someone in their family fought the Japanese, or were trying desperately not to be attacked by the Japanese, only a little over sixty years ago. (My grandpa was a guerrilla fighter at 16... and he's part Japanese LOL.) Manila was the second most damaged major city in World War II, behind Warsaw (and remember, the war STARTED in Poland so they had more time to get damaged). Also, there's the whole raping and pillaging thing.

Nowadays, loads of Filipinos go to Japan for work - some of it is just plain hard work, like domestic work or nursing, but a disproportionate amount of women go as "entertainers," with or against their will (Japan has cut down on human trafficking though). Hence the Dragon Zakura thing - lots of Filipino women - and some men - work in hostess bars and cabarets and stuff because it pays a lot. Well, a lot more than in Angeles City, anyway - there's objectification and exploitation of Pinays going on in the Philippines as well as overseas. Plus there's always a stigma in being a foreigner - or part foreign - in Japan.

And while we're on the subject of World War II, can people please stop using the word "Jap"? I know it may not have historical significance in other countries, but in North American English it is a very offensive term. Sure, it's just three little letters, but in the 40s (and up to now) it was like calling a black person the n-word. Like when the trucker in HYD Final calls Domyouji a Jap - it's certainly not to flatter him LOL

Also, don't trip about not paying attention in Eastern Civ because they never talk about the Filipinos anyway >_<

Okay, history lesson over - back to Matsujun fangirling XD


Your right about that . It's part of our history that's why it's really a sensitive matter. But Japan and Philippines are okay now. And don't be so sensitive about the word "JAP" too. Your not a Japanese after all if your grandfather fought for the Philippines in World War II and things like that just become sensitive depending on the place. Because "If our in Rome do as the Romans do". It's the same thing regarding this matter.
607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Paris, France
Offline
Posted 2/12/09

blah_bah_blah wrote

Your right about that . It's part of our history that's why it's really a sensitive matter. But Japan and Philippines are okay now. And don't be so sensitive about the word "JAP" too. Your not a Japanese after all if your grandfather fought for the Philippines in World War II and things like that just become sensitive depending on the place. Because "If our in Rome do as the Romans do". It's the same thing regarding this matter.


Um, I never said I was "Japanese." My grandfather has that ancestry, but I am not claiming to be straight-up Japanese - I'm a proud Pinay who just happens to have a Japanese ancestor somewhere down the line... I point this out because it makes my grandpa's service and my family's anime/drama addictions kind of funny :D

The person I was responding to in my last post is half Japanese and was offended by the word "Jap," but I just brought it up first. I can be offended by racial slurs no matter what I am - I am offended by the word in the same way that I am offended by the N word even if I have no ounce of African blood in me. And just the same, the N word is generally seen as offensive if you're speaking English, no matter where the forum (haha, forum, when in Rome.... nevermind) is based. (I think Crunchyroll is based in America though, so, when in Rome... :D)
7261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 2/12/09
i dont really see jun & aragaki yui as a good couple. mao forever!! haha
722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/13/09

agentduckiechan wrote:


blah_bah_blah wrote

Your right about that . It's part of our history that's why it's really a sensitive matter. But Japan and Philippines are okay now. And don't be so sensitive about the word "JAP" too. Your not a Japanese after all if your grandfather fought for the Philippines in World War II and things like that just become sensitive depending on the place. Because "If our in Rome do as the Romans do". It's the same thing regarding this matter.


Um, I never said I was "Japanese." My grandfather has that ancestry, but I am not claiming to be straight-up Japanese - I'm a proud Pinay who just happens to have a Japanese ancestor somewhere down the line... I point this out because it makes my grandpa's service and my family's anime/drama addictions kind of funny :D

The person I was responding to in my last post is half Japanese and was offended by the word "Jap," but I just brought it up first. I can be offended by racial slurs no matter what I am - I am offended by the word in the same way that I am offended by the N word even if I have no ounce of African blood in me. And just the same, the N word is generally seen as offensive if you're speaking English, no matter where the forum (haha, forum, when in Rome.... nevermind) is based. (I think Crunchyroll is based in America though, so, when in Rome... :D)


But what of in their country they don't know that it is offensive to say a certain word to other people from other nation which have the same pronunciation in their own language and their point is being misunderstood ans your a tourist in their country. Will you be offend? (P.S.:The phrase "When in Rome do as the Romans do" is an extremely famous quotation. Don't tell me you haven't even heard it even once in our entire life. I thought all people know that quote.)
6647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Middle-earth, hel...
Offline
Posted 2/13/09
Lol,, im trying to imagien, them togethr, but i cant lol.. guess ill have 2 wait, na~
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/13/09
i'm DEFINITELY really going to watch this!!!! sooo excited since i knew t was MatsuJun! and him as a Half-Filipino?! Definitely a must-see! i wonder if he's going to speak in tagalog...hahahah! but i wish they'll visit the philippines (oh pls!!!! )
13214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47
Offline
Posted 2/13/09
i hv a strong feeling this drma will be aired in the philippines----
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.