First  Prev  174  175  176  177  178  179  180  181  182  183  184  185  186  Next  Last
Post Reply Abortion
12864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6/25/14
If the sex is legal and consensual then it should not be allowed.
62219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/25/14 , edited 6/25/14
Even if the sex is consensual and legal and the pregnancy is late term, I think abortion should be legal. Why should I really care what some girl does with her pregnancy? I've never gotten why I should care and why this is such a rallying cry when we have legally sanctioned deaths in other realms/walks of life.
13126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂╰⋃╯
Offline
Posted 6/26/14

Ouzoathena11 wrote:

There's a poem that I've seen that really is one of the main things that makes me against abortion, even more than those teachings. I don't know the original source, and I originally saw it on profiles on fanfiction.net. But here it is.

Month One

Mommy, I am only 8 inches long, but I have all my organs. I love the sound of your voice. Every time I hear it, I wave my arms and legs. The sound of your heart beat is my favorite lullaby.
4 weeks pregnant, "growing inside your uterus is the size of an poppy seed." http://www.babycenter.ca/4-weeks-pregnant

That person is clearly giving birth to a whale. Human whale birth is dangerous, she should abort it.
7308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 6/26/14

Syndicaidramon wrote:


But I'm curious... my impression is that most christian thinks that infants who die go straight to heaven. So if that's the case, shouldn't you be totally FOR abortion? Shouldn't christians be the ones who support it the most?

That is some convoluted logic right there. I believe I'm going to heaven because of the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ & my faith in Him, doesn't mean I want to kill myself & die tomorrow. At the beginning of the book of Philippians (Philippians 1:21-25), Paul talks about this. He says that to be dead & be with Christ would be a better situation than to live on Earth, but that he knows logically he should remain here to help support the church. It's not about himself, but about others. But, I digress.

Back to your question: Believing one goes to heaven if they die does not mean I'd support the murder of said person; I don't condone sin merely because the outcome creates something supposedly favorable.
3520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 6/26/14

mdmrn wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


But I'm curious... my impression is that most christian thinks that infants who die go straight to heaven. So if that's the case, shouldn't you be totally FOR abortion? Shouldn't christians be the ones who support it the most?

That is some convoluted logic right there. I believe I'm going to heaven because of the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ & my faith in Him, doesn't mean I want to kill myself & die tomorrow. At the beginning of the book of Philippians (Philippians 1:21-25), Paul talks about this. He says that to be dead & be with Christ would be a better situation than to live on Earth, but that he knows logically he should remain here to help support the church. It's not about himself, but about others. But, I digress.

Back to your question: Believing one goes to heaven if they die does not mean I'd support the murder of said person; I don't condone sin merely because the outcome creates something supposedly favorable.


Well of course I understand that you wouldn't want to kill yourself tomorrow. There are numerous implications to doing that. Espcially if you have a family and/or friends who care for you.
But an unwanted, unborn fetus doesn't have that. Nor do they have the same attachment to being alive as you do. So they're not really comparable in that sense.

And the fact of the matter is that if you believe that infants do go to heaven, then you have to acknowledge that you would in fact be doing that fetus a huge favor. Not just because it ensures they get into heaven without a doubt, which might very well not happen if they're born, but you'd also spare it of all the suffering that comes packaged with living on earth.

Of course I don't expect you to say that we should go around murdering all infants. Obviously not. But if the baby is unwanted, or the parents will not be able to take proper care of it, due to financial reasons or some other factor AND with the cerainty that the infant would go straight to eternal bliss, then why should you be so starkly against it? It makes no sense to me. If anything, it would be an act of kindness, not cruelty.
7308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 6/26/14

Syndicaidramon wrote:


Well of course I understand that you wouldn't want to kill yourself tomorrow. There are numerous implications to doing that. Espcially if you have a family and/or friends who care for you.
But an unwanted, unborn fetus doesn't have that. Nor do they have the same attachment to being alive as you do. So they're not really comparable in that sense.

And the fact of the matter is that if you believe that infants do go to heaven, then you have to acknowledge that you would in fact be doing that fetus a huge favor. Not just because it ensures they get into heaven without a doubt, which might very well not happen if they're born, but you'd also spare it of all the suffering that comes packaged with living on earth.

Of course I don't expect you to say that we should go around murdering all infants. Obviously not. But if the baby is unwanted, or the parents will not be able to take proper care of it, due to financial reasons or some other factor AND with the cerainty that the infant would go straight to eternal bliss, then why should you be so starkly against it? It makes no sense to me. If anything, it would be an act of kindness, not cruelty.
I wasn't planning to argue further as there's no way we're going to see eye to eye on this, but apparently I will. The same logic you are using can be used to approve the murder of orphans & other unwanted infants. I'm the older brother to 5 awesome people who were unwanted at birth and are now living their lives in a loving home. We don't know the outcome of an unborn baby's life. You're right, some of them may be unloved, abused, and hurt and I weep & pray for those babies. Some others may be adopted into loving families. Others may rise above their lowly station to great heights. We don't know and I would never advocate murdering them in utero. In 2009, Catholic Vote put out a great ad reminding us of the fact that we know not what the person's future holds in utero (Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c).

You're going to an assumption of worst case scenario and assuming their lives will be horrible; I'm assuming that there is a vast amount of unknown in a person's life and the fact remains that I am never going to condone murder. Yes, I believe abortion to be murder. There is nothing else for that collection of cells, that zygote, that unborn child to become other than a person. By snuffing it's life, you are snuffing the life of a person. As a Christian, my faith is very clear on opposition to murder. Even believing in a God that forgives, I'm still a murderer and if I knowingly commit a sin with no true remorse (as if I follow your logic I should have none), then the Lord has no reason to forgive me for I never truly repent.

And this time, I really am done arguing.
3520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 6/26/14

mdmrn
You're going to an assumption of worst case scenario and assuming their lives will be horrible; I'm assuming that there is a vast amount of unknown in a person's life and the fact remains that I am never going to condone murder. Yes, I believe abortion to be murder. There is nothing else for that collection of cells, that zygote, that unborn child to become other than a person. By snuffing it's life, you are snuffing the life of a person. As a Christian, my faith is very clear on opposition to murder. Even believing in a God that forgives, I'm still a murderer and if I knowingly commit a sin with no true remorse (as if I follow your logic I should have none), then the Lord has no reason to forgive me for I never truly repent.

And this time, I really am done arguing.


I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.

Your argument of how it can become nothing other than a human... well, that's all fine and dandy, but that argument can be applied to using contraception as well. Or even not impregnating your gal as soon as you can after she gives birth to a baby. Because every sperm not entering a womb is a potential life. And yes, that is an extreme, but it goes by the same reasoning. Potential life lost. But not an actual life lost. And that goes for the undeveloped cell in utero as well.

But besides that, as a christian, is not the afterlife of the biggest importance for you? Do you not feel that it should be so for all people? And if so, why would you then place the fetus' earthly life above that of its eternal life in terms of importance?
1294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England.
Offline
Posted 6/26/14 , edited 6/26/14
it's one of those situations where some reasons for abortion are right, others are not.

yup.
13126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂╰⋃╯
Offline
Posted 6/27/14
I can't believe there are people who won't even give exceptions for a woman who is raped. And there are dumb senators who actually are trying to legislate bills preventing raped women from getting abortions in order to "find out who her rapist was". If you are impregnated by your rapist, you can't even commit suicide even if you want to.
3520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 6/27/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

I can't believe there are people who won't even give exceptions for a woman who is raped. And there are dumb senators who actually are trying to legislate bills preventing raped women from getting abortions in order to "find out who her rapist was". If you are impregnated by your rapist, you can't even commit suicide even if you want to.


Yeah...
The depths of human stupidity keeps finding ways of impressing me.
1040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / Somewhere that pr...
Offline
Posted 7/7/14
I think if the woman has been raped then that is totally her choice. She can abort the baby if she wants. Now, if the woman was fooling around without protection or something, I don't think they should be allowed to abort the baby. That's their fault. Now, the only problem is, how are doctors going to tell the difference? Even if it becomes a law that you can only abort your baby if you were raped, we'd still have women lying about it unless we found some way to figure out whether they were raped or not.
8313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/9/14
A person should have control of their own body. It's that simple. A woman is a person, not an incubator for a parasite. Her worth is not determined by her ability to make babies.

Anyone who wants to abort a pregnancy should be given safe, legal, affordable access to it.
23467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/14
Touchy subject that I have no reaction towards.
2201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 7/10/14
I believe all women should have the right to make the choice of an abortion or not there are a lot of things to consider. Rape of course which has been brought up time and time again. Also if conceiving the child will harm the mother I think the mother should have the right to decide to choose her life and safety also "safe sex"? There is no such thing becoz no birth control is 100% effective. And if a women chooses not to use any birth control there are always reasons behind that too such as lack of education lack of resources mental illness etc. If a person makes poor choices in their diet and is 600 pounds and is going to die of heart disease if they don't loose weight are you going to deny them the choice of weight loss options because they made the choice to eat poorly? I mean Ppl make shitty decisions every second of the day I don't think a child should have to be born into this world were its not wanted and has the higher possibilities of growing up abused and unloved when the women if given the right to have the abortion could prevent it.
And honestly when it comes down to it its her body not yours she should have the right to do with it as she pleases.
5139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/14
One can see by looking at this forum that this place is full of believers and disbelievers. Life is what comes from living your life out. Abortion? Well, it's an option. It's a choice. A choice a sentient being who has the needed material for it can make. It just reflects the irresponsible attitude of humans towards their bodies. You should always play it safe. Especially with fire. Or else what to expect? STDs or pregnancy. The idea of abortion is not a bad one. Sometimes it is needed, but in our civilized world it is being abused by irresponsible individuals who obviously never learned the joy of practicing safe sex.
First  Prev  174  175  176  177  178  179  180  181  182  183  184  185  186  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.