First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
THE BIG BANG...
1706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/09
Of course I believe in the Big Bang. What else is possible? How else could the world, the universe, exist?

Anyone who is seriously a Creationist and in believe in the Big Bang and evolution is crazy. Genesis is a metaphor for the Big Bang in my opinion.
Posted 2/17/09

Quebec1217 wrote:


Okazu606 wrote:

I think it sounds plausible that the nearest part of the universe was formed from "a big bang", but I don't believe big bang was the beginning of the universe or whatever.


Why? Any reason why you say that? Or is it just what you think?

Do you understand any of cosmology? Here read this...

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/features/exhibit/tenyear/age.html
or
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/age.html

I'm hearing a lot of "I think" and "I believe" in this thread and not much stating of facts or evidence. I don't get how people can discuss something they have no basic understanding of, like sciences. Everyone has an opinion about these things, yet, nothing but hearsay to back it up.

Understand that a scientific theory is only second to a scientific law (like gravity), as a result it has lots of evidence with observations to confirm it. Just because you don't believe doesn't make all the facts, data and observations go away.

I could type out an explanation of what I know, but it wouldn't be nearly as complete as a link I can post. This does a better job of summing everything up, and putting it easy to understand terms. Additionally, none of you would read it so why waste the time.
http://www.big-bang-theory.com/


No matter how you twist or turn things, have many hypotheses you show and how you calculate xx and yy, using big numbers and fancy signs, when all comes to all, they are nothing but ideas and thoughts and no solid evidence.

as far as I know we're basing the big bang theory of the observations that everything we can see nearby is moving away from eachother, and following their current movements, they indicate that things have spread like from an explosion.

however, hold this together with the claim that the universe is infinite and the claim that the universe is expanding, that doesn't really make much sense ^_^

And I know this is "extended discussions" and it'd be fancy if I would show a lot of pictures, graphs and link to various theories, but I couldn't be bothered.

My comment was based on what I have learned in school, seen on tv, read on wiki and various other sites on the net. And while I won't argue that people who have studied the universe for a lifetime are many times more competent than I am, when thinking logically there are just too many contradictions and flaws and rather absurd claims.
Posted 2/17/09 , edited 2/17/09
After reading that link 'big-bang-theory' that quebec1217 gave I have become more confused about the theory than anything. I've never believed solely in it, but I've never heard any other scientific theories.
Anyway, I really don't think we can discuss it all that well if we haven't even learnt about it properly, I mean, how long does it take scientists to study and fully understand this theory? I don't know but I'm sure it takes a fair amount of time, I've read one article and heard vague comments about it on the TV etc. I really don't have much of an understanding of it at all. So I kind of doubt that many other people here have much more of an understanding either, maybe I am wrong and there are a whole lot of scientists here? But I doubt it, so I'm not so sure if it's even worth getting too into the discussion for the most part.

Though this does make me want to learn it properly. Hmmm...
4330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Soul Society
Offline
Posted 2/17/09

deadspirit01 wrote:

ive jst been thinking lately about THE BIG BANG ....

i mean ok it was jus a theory rite?.....
so then they tested it out .....
they tried to show ppl that there was a big bang
..... but wasnt that like teaching ur own opinion about somethin random to ppl out there ...?????


ur definitely ryt. i mean, what evidence do they have it happened?

5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/17/09

Escha wrote:


deadspirit01 wrote:

ive jst been thinking lately about THE BIG BANG ....

i mean ok it was jus a theory rite?.....
so then they tested it out .....
they tried to show ppl that there was a big bang
..... but wasnt that like teaching ur own opinion about somethin random to ppl out there ...?????


ur definitely ryt. i mean, what evidence do they have it happened?



http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evidence+for+the+big+bang
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Screwston!
Offline
Posted 2/17/09

Okazu606 wrote:

No matter how you twist or turn things, have many hypotheses you show and how you calculate xx and yy, using big numbers and fancy signs, when all comes to all, they are nothing but ideas and thoughts and no solid evidence.


Twist and turn things? Fancy signs, because they totally exist for fun and to make things look cool... How do you suppose they have no solid evidence? Mathematical models were made based on observations and evidence that has been witnessed then measured. Big Bang is only one of the fore running theories for how the universe and existence for that matter was created. Like said before, a scientific theory is only second to a scientific law. Feel free to Goggle that if you like and you'll see what I'm talking about. Here's a quote from some Englishman you might have herd of.


Stephen Hawking
One cannot really argue with a mathematical theorem.



as far as I know we're basing the big bang theory of the observations that everything we can see nearby is moving away from eachother, and following their current movements, they indicate that things have spread like from an explosion.


Caught you! That statement leads me to believe that you didn't read the link provide, or even skim over it for that matter. I'll key you in on the part you missed.


Big-Bang-Theory.com
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.

Big Bang Theory - Evidence for the Theory
What are the major evidences which support the Big Bang theory?

* First of all, we are reasonably certain that the universe had a beginning.
* Second, galaxies appear to be moving away from us at speeds proportional to their distance. This is called "Hubble's Law," named after Edwin Hubble (1889-1953) who discovered this phenomenon in 1929. This observation supports the expansion of the universe and suggests that the universe was once compacted.
* Third, if the universe was initially very, very hot as the Big Bang suggests, we should be able to find some remnant of this heat. In 1965, Radioastronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered a 2.725 degree Kelvin (-454.765 degree Fahrenheit, -270.425 degree Celsius) Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMB) which pervades the observable universe. This is thought to be the remnant which scientists were looking for. Penzias and Wilson shared in the 1978 Nobel Prize for Physics for their discovery.
* Finally, the abundance of the "light elements" Hydrogen and Helium found in the observable universe are thought to support the Big Bang model of origins.



however, hold this together with the claim that the universe is infinite and the claim that the universe is expanding, that doesn't really make much sense ^_^


You're mistaken actually here... Stephen Hawking writes in his book A Brief History of Time that the universe is neither finite or infinite but strikes an almost poetic balance. The universe is ever expanding, even as you read this. Just think about that, what's it expanding into is the scary/exciting question. I would get you the direct quote, but I can't seem to find my copy of the book.


And I know this is "extended discussions" and it'd be fancy if I would show a lot of pictures, graphs and link to various theories, but I couldn't be bothered.


Oh! You couldn't be bothered with the trouble of typing into a web-browser! Google? Ever used it? Or maybe is it because you don' t have any evidence to back any of what you say up.


My comment was based on what I have learned in school, seen on tv, read on wiki and various other sites on the net. And while I won't argue that people who have studied the universe for a lifetime are many times more competent than I am, when thinking logically there are just too many contradictions and flaws and rather absurd claims.


What absurd claims? What flaws and contradictions? I'm curious what class you took that spent time discussing the problems of the Big Bang Theory. Read on wiki, any idea of the page? Not like that's a great source anyhow. You make all these claims of having this "evidence" yet you haven't "bothered" to bring any of it up even in name. I'm beginning to have my doubts you have any evidence.

I doubt you'll read my post in it's entirety, maybe skim it at best. I will be the first to admit that Big Bang is still being refined and worked on my cosmologists internationally. As a result there are other models for the beginning of the universe as well, each having its own unique ideas to build upon. If you would have read that web site I provided you with a link to, they have information about a new model based on Einsteins Static-Spacetime Paradigm. Many things in science are constantly being revised and worked on. Once again, a simple Google search gives up numerous links that provides evidence against Big Bang and supporting other models.

In short, lets all keep our skeptic minds about us and try to use evidence to base claims on. Oh, and I meant nothing personal.. Honestly.
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Screwston!
Offline
Posted 2/17/09

cerisey wrote:

After reading that link 'big-bang-theory' that quebec1217 gave I have become more confused about the theory than anything. I've never believed solely in it, but I've never heard any other scientific theories.
Anyway, I really don't think we can discuss it all that well if we haven't even learnt about it properly, I mean, how long does it take scientists to study and fully understand this theory? I don't know but I'm sure it takes a fair amount of time, I've read one article and heard vague comments about it on the TV etc. I really don't have much of an understanding of it at all. So I kind of doubt that many other people here have much more of an understanding either, maybe I am wrong and there are a whole lot of scientists here? But I doubt it, so I'm not so sure if it's even worth getting too into the discussion for the most part.

Though this does make me want to learn it properly. Hmmm...


Great posting!

You're right about this stuff, we're mostly talking about something we don't know much of anything about. Not really a good basis for a conversation. I'll admit that I don't know as much as I would like, only the basics at best. I've taken to the other sciences like chemistry and biology.

I encourage you to read on this topic, or other topics that interest you. Maybe this will spur your interests in the sciences, who knows?
70098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Wa Wa Land
Offline
Posted 2/18/09
What 'is' the BIG BANG?
377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Q.C.
Offline
Posted 2/18/09
Well, I think it's true. The universe is still expanding until now. Then what started the expansion? The Big Bang.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very sure of my opinion.
1176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / recycle bin
Offline
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 2/21/09

Altrax wrote:

Well, I think it's true. The universe is still expanding until now. Then what started the expansion? The Big Bang.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very sure of my opinion.




so if your saying the big bang started the expansion.
what / who made the two "chemicals" react with eachother to make the "big bang" ?
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
LOL at people trying to use science to disprove the Big Bang.
35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United States
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
Sometimes, i think the big bang is the best thing we have..other than the opinion that everyone thinks a higher figure than us created us and the universe itself. but either way, i would just leave the topic alone and think about more important things like how the world is going to end. and how we would survive.
2541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / On a Tree
Offline
Posted 5/2/09
you should watch the big bang theory its so funny !!!

#its just a theory it was not been proven so its not true !!
Posted 5/2/09
nope its a theory =T
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/09

digs wrote:

The big bang as of now is more of a metaphysical philosophy than a scientific theory.


I’m sorry, but that’s not true, man. See my other post.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.