First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Life more meaningful when you believe that God exists?
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 12/10/12 , edited 12/10/12

myhk31 wrote:

"Well, bring your fire, so that I may destroy you with my supreme Genius." lol this is pretty self righteous if you ask me.. thought i just explained how the pharisees did wrong because of this. You just proved my case, only thing ur doing is going against everything i said instead of perceiving and understanding haha. Also you may think youre a "genius" but lets see where that takes you. The teachings of heaven is the highest truth and highest teaching and it leads to eternal life, lets see where ur teachings of the world take you.


There is no self-righteousness in that claim, only a truism, that my genius is great, and I do not have to expend much effort in destroy the sad thing you call 'fire', snuff out between my fingers like a candle. I do not need to think I am a genius, because my genius is so manifest that I KNOW it. For, my child, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to wisdom but through me. I am the light of Reason, the Sophic Sun, whose light pierces through the dark veil of Moronic Religion and Moronic Devotion to Religion. I say unto you, child: Raka! Have I not, with my profound γνῶσις, break through your weak clouds of your supposed heaven, did not my σοφίᾱ destroy your supposed highest teaching, grind it to dust like the Golden Calf of Aaron. My truth shall conquer your petty superstition as did King David over his foes, and Conqueror Alexander over the world! Have I not, with a small, but manful, breath disperse that dream of 'eternal life'? Why do you foolishly blot your gates against reason, blot as you will, I shall sound my Shofar, and your walls shall tumble!




U are NOT looking at it logically but in the perspective of the foolish believers who rejected the son of God and ended up killing him. You do know that the OT prophecies all point to Jesus right?



Let us look at the Old Testament Prophecies concerning the Messiah, and compare it to the accomplishment of Jesus:


1. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

Jesus seems to be too busy being dead to rebuild the Temple

2. Gather all the tribes of Israel back to the Promise Land (Isaiah 43:5-6).

Which is why you can see the, the lost tribes of Israel isn't quite herded back yet, and there are still Jews outside Israel, so Jesus clearly didn't complete that.

3. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

Really, I doubt that the Bible meant 'bombing the shit out of Pakistan', or 'shooting your own civilians' to mean 'man not learning to war any more'. So the peace requirement is out.

Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

Man is clearly not united in God, even with Jesus and his three in one God, there are those pesky things, the Jews, the Moslems, the Buddhists, the Shamans, the Asteru, etc.

Jesus, have completely absolutely none of the requirement provided by the Old Testament.


Jesus already performed many miracles but thats not the reason he came to earth. Also its said in the bible that those that rely on miracles are like infants and its imperfect, why? because even Satan can do miracles lol ur gonna believe in Satans miracle too? of course he wouldnt let know its him thats the whole point of deceiving. Also it amazes me that u are going against what i said when you dont even know ur facts and using ur own thinking.. Jesus was from Nazareth just like it was prophesied before he was born. Let me also tell you this because you probaby didnt perceive this: Galilee is actually the place he went when he resurrected just as he promised (if thats not a miracle to you i dont know what is) and you say Jesus is a half-wit but he had more knowledge in the bible then those pharisees and teachers of the law who supposedly studded the scriptures diligently (they knew it inside and out) BUT who ended up going to heaven who ended up in the pits? tell me whats more valuable to you lol. Self righteousness could also be pride...you dont want/like to be wrong, in ur case because you think ur a "genius".


I am saying that there are many hucksters around at that time, Pagan, Jewish, Mystics, whatever, who claimed miracles, claimed divinity, Apollonius of Tyana, for example. Why, you say, they are agents of Satan, Satan can do miracles- so does that mean the Jesus may be an agent of Satan as well, that he is out to deceive the world? But...but...my books says he isn't...maybe Satan deceived Jesus to deceive the writer of the New Testament. Where he pretends to be God, but is really....the Devil! See what I did there.

Now, you say that Jesus has more knowledge of the Bible than the Pharisees, the half-wit fraud and huckster he is, why does he constantly misquote and, indeed, quote verses that doesn't exist:
(John 7:38) Jesus said, "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."

As you can see, Jesus was probably an illiterate half wit who decided to play god at a time when almost everyone was. The Pharisees were right to reject Jesus, because, if he so claimed to be the Messiah and the Son of God, then you can see, from the above, that he has absolutely been a failure as a Messiah.

But, I really need to repeat and emphasise this point, I do not think I am a Genius, I know myself to be one, and it is manifest, by my great wisdom and knowledge. I am a Genius, a great man, the embodiment of Virtue and Manliness, but, additionally, a humble man, wholly without pride (for there is no pride in admitting the true), and, contrary to your suggestion, I do want to be wrong, because it would be a novel experience for me, because I have never been wrong before. I think you are speaking of yourself, with self-righteousness, after all, who is self righteous but one that preaches that he knows that he will be in heaven for believing in a book of Fairies, and he knows this to be true, while arrogantly presenting the weakest arguments for its trueness.



Yes we are animals because we are similar in many ways shape and form and logic LOL. anyways, God uses animal as a figurative way to express those who dont know his word because animals dont know either or from right and wrong.. theyre "ignorant" Isnt it funny you conisder urself a genius but God considers you ignorant? Also, i explained to you that its figurative and why/how it is used, yet you still take it literally.. even if i told you, you still misunderstand.. no wonder you did not understand even more when no one told you. (FOR EXAMPLE: An infant sees a open bottle that says poison, but the child does not know how to read, so he needs to be taught how to read right? its obvious but when he is told not to drink it will he listen? he may listen sometimes or he may not. Regarding this example, its impossible for someone who is not spiritually matured to learn and listen. This "infant" is you, you are a spiritual infant). If you feel bad about what i said then read this: proverbs 10:21 (NIV) The lips of the righteous nourish many, but fools die for lack of judgment. "fools" = ignorant of Gods word and "judgment" = word of fire to turn their ways and deceitful thinking.

Should i have said "what is an animal? its an ANIMAL"? i said "animal and beast" for emphasis so that you would perceive lol. again you just try to understand it with ur own thinking. Okay then according to your logic we are all animals.. animals are beasts.. so can i call you a beast? doesnt sound too good right? haha. LOL, i used the bear as an example but i couldve used any of the millions of other animal species which im sure u memorized the entire family and scientific name for. Btw no matter how smart you say you are and that you can infer my mind... LETS JUST SAY you can do that lol but no way can you infer Gods thoughts and ways.. the gap is the heavens and the earth.


To answer the first question: it is not actually funny, because there is no God, and therefore no agent to consider me ignorant. As we are beast, there are some beast with more better qualities, for example, I am a beast, an animal, but one superior to you because my intellect, as well as my personal looks and overall disposition, is superior to yours. Therefore, I have used Animal in a literal way, to express a truth, that is, my innate superiority to you thanks, in no part, to my great genius. Now, his metaphor for me being ignorant is quite wrong, in that we do now know, scientifically, that animals do have an ability to distinguish right from wrong- go, look it up. So, either God is ignorant of his own creation, or you are ignorant of God, and have no right to speak on his behalf.

Now, you speak so often of self-righteousness, yet, I find your attempt to convince me that the fools, ignorant of God, are going to hell self-righteous in and of itself.

Likewise, I find your claim that the spiritually mature would do no thinking for themselves to be better off then those who do think for themselves- that is, some may listen, some may not- those who do not will ask 'why must I not drink this' instead of 'okay, I will blindly abstain from it'. A better metaphor would be that of the blind, who, lead on by blind religion, and himself blindly leading another blind man, stumble, from the heights of a cliff and into the depths of the craggy sea, whereas we, inquisitive and lighted by reason, peer down first to the depths.

Now, given my expertise in Psychology, I know that, given a certain period with you in a discussion, and able to observe you, I will be able to deduce, from your behaviour, and your words, your thoughts, because I am a genius, you however, are ignorant, and, trying to look into my mind, you will be driven mad by the vast Infinity of my knowledge.



I said it is ironic you have a picture of a fox because we were talking about beasts and you had a picture of a specific beast that God uses to prophecy about the beasts who were to come at the time of Jesus' first coming. They (pharisees, sadducees, and other teachers of the law) were ignorant of his Word just like you. i know what ironic its a form of figurative language ^^ btw, foxes live and die.


You are using the word 'ironic' incorrectly. If you want to compare me to a beast, an ignorant one, it should be 'fitting' and not 'ironic', but I agree, it is ironic that so brutish a beast should represent so great and mighty a mind as mine. And, for your information, you are quite wrong there, foxes are immortal if they can collect enough yang energy to balance out their wholly yin energy.


Funny you say God doesnt show proof when half the content of the bible is regarding prophecy and fulfillment. and if you wanted proof God can just appear in front of us so that we will believe, but he doesnt work that way, thats not his WILL. He wants true believers who seek and believe when it is hard to believe (hard to believe because of peoples own thinking, doubts and deception) The 12 disciples of Jesus were mere fisherman and farmers but God was truly happy and pleased with them because while everyone else didnt believe they did. Also apostle Paul was one of the head pharisees but he gave up all he had for truth.


Didn't I just disprove that? Seriously? Go back and read what I wrote, instead of writing the same, dis-proven tripe. The interiority of the Bible does not show anything, just as the Norn's, Oedipus', and other such prophecy stories do not prove the claim of their prophecy when the whole thing is interior to the story. I can give you a format of how your prophecy work:

Some guy take in an oral tradition about their history

He retrospectively add a prophecy

People thousands of years latter act amazed at the fact that some guy did this, and take it for proof of God.


Then you argue that I should, instead of demanding reason, act on faith, God wants us to have faith, and faith is the only thing that is necessary- so, the same argument can be applied to Jupiter, Odin, the Wood Spirits, Ettins, Hobgoblins, Pixies, Elves, etc. They want you to have faith in them and therefore don't show themselves- look at all the people who abandoned their family, join Wicca Covens, and spend their days spiritually indulging in Mary Jane and the Sweet Powder of the Coca leaf. You can have faith in the unicorn, I prefer you prove me that it exist with Science and reason.


you must love ur circularity defense claim lol. Anyways, first of all ur trying to compare God with mere men lol. Also i even explained knowing you wouldnt understand.. just like how we cant understand other peoples thoughts and way unless they tell us, we cant understand Gods word unless he tells us.. if we cant understand a mere mans thoughts how can we understand God's? Perceive.


I do not defend, I attack the circularity of your Logic. Here's an illustration:



Also, even if you were to explain, there is nothing to understand as it is complete bullshit. Your reasoning is circular, and so, there is no reason to take you seriously.


AGAIN, ur comparing man, even YOURSELF! to God.. how can you?? lol you do know Satan fell because he wanted to be higher than God the creator of everything right? FOR EXAMPLE: is it okay that u call ur parents your kids? "sup son" to your dad and having more authority than him because ur the "dad" ...doesnt make sense.. thats not the natural order. Also, you cant say what you dont know for sure so nice try with the sun exploding example.. on the other hand God can, he is truth and it everything fulfills according to his word/will. Also, the prophecies and fulfillment are actually not in the same chapter/book, its separated by hundreds of years and in text the old testament has the prophecies and the new testament has the fulfillment... and since Gods work isnt finish of course theres still more prophecies to be fulfilled before Gods works is completely finished (revelation) And you may think that the bible is just simple words and text but if you know understand it and perceive the value of it you would know it is Gods true words and it is life. i also explained that even though about 35 authors wrote the bible it is Gods word (all scriptures are God breathed) and we know its true because of how the whole bible connects and how the prophecies fulfill according to the words written, also the wars mentioned in the NT are NOT physical wars. The bible is not as easy as you think lol


Well, first, I am not comparing myself to God, there is no need to, I know that I am completely incomparable in my absolute Genius. My Father only has authority over me in so far as I am not an adult, and that he fulfils his paternal responsibility to take care of me, otherwise, he would not deserve any respect. This is not natural order in as much as it is my respect for him in his capacity as my father. There is no natural law that tells me that I must respect him in all circumstance. Does that make sense?

Secondly, I have shown why prophecies, if they are self-contained, do not show anything, because some pious fraud may have added it in retrospect, or awkwardly framed into the life of another, just as the authors of the Gospel and Paul frequently misquote the Old Testament to shoe it into Jesus (two asses). For example, the Historian Josephus told the Emperor Vespasian that he is the Foretold Messiah, to do this, he quotes scriptures and fit it into the career of the good Emperor (then a general), and, when he suppressed the Jewish revolters, Josephus decided to sit down and compose his history. Thus, your argument there is invalid.

Third, I said that anyone can make a prophecy into the far future without a specific time line, (although I am different in that I provided one), or, indeed, any prophecy beyond the years of my contemporaries because they will not be able to falsify it, so I can proclaim something like 'In around fifty thousand years, a great meteorite will strike Earth and destroy its capacity to contain life. No one can falsify that claim, just as no one can falsify the claim that 'Sometime in the future, there will be this awesome dude who is called the Messiah, and he will bring peace on earth and good will to man kind', or 'Jesus will come and send the baddies to hell'.


U speak without knowledge and understanding... God and Jesus is not the same entity.. they were one as in Spirit and flesh. Does ur logics say it makes sense that Jesus prayed to himself on the mountain calling himself father? Also the reason why God chose the jews is because they were weak and through them his glory would be revealed because the world will know without God they wouldnt have been able to do the things they have done. BUT the will of God is to save all mankind but that is not possible because of their sinfulness and ignorance. "lack of knowledge destroyed my people". God also gives his people time to repent of their betrayal and sins but they dont.. if they have sin they are one with Satan, his enemy thus of course they will be judged... did you know that and said what you said?


Your theology, not mine, Your theology states that there is this one God, who is three parts, the father, the son, and the holy spirit. So, if they are one, why does God need to sacrifice a single part of him to change his own mind? But, say they are separate entities, why does God need to have his son sacrificed to change his own mind? Can't he just do something like say 'Right, I've quite changed my mind on this issue, everyone'. Speaking to the people as he did in the desert while the Israelites were travelling with Moses? And, also, you say that God choose the Jews because they were weak and through them he may show off his glory- so, you mean to say that Jews are naturally inferior and weak people...shame, shame, and they are also sinful and ignorant. Shame, sir, that is just so racist and so anti-semetic, I really have no response to that, but that also fails to address my question- if God really wanted to save everyone, why does he limit himself, first, to the land of Israel, and then let is spread over the Greco-Roman world instead of just doing something that would get his message across to everyone, including those that are inaccessible geographically to the early missionaries. So, the Hottentots, the good people of Africa, the Islanders of the Pacific, the East Asians, the Native Americans, they'll have to wait a few more millenia for to receive God's Word, while their ancestors, through no fault but being born before people could spread God's word, will have to face everlasting perdition.


But, child, as I have stated before, I am the way, the truth, and the light, abandon, then, your false god, and turn to reason, to science- no mind, no matter how dull, cannot but profit from discarding the chains of ignorance to drink the ambrosia of wisdom.
495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / california
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
maybe Satan deceived Jesus to deceive the writer of the New Testament. Where he pretends to be God, but is really....the Devil! See what I did there yeah i see what u did there.. you put in your own thinking.
817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AnimeSekai
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
believing that God exists is the very meaning of life.
806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charleston, SC
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


Smells like fanatical devotion. Not really a forum discussion so much as your announcement that you think your life is better than others.
1643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Boston Mass
Offline
Posted 12/12/12
If god exist then he is one cruel, twisted mother fucker.
Moderator XIV
67196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

longfenglim wrote:


-Vega- wrote:
Stuff you should know not to post.


More stuff people should know not to post.


You know guys there are two kinds of taste. Good taste, and bad taste. I believe these last two posts have been in what I would call "bad" taste. For example saying anything that could be construed in any way as an encouragement to commit suicide. Really just not a good idea to post things like that, even in jest.

So instead of degenerating the conversation even further and going down the path of the ever unpopular flamer and troll baiter how about we just lay off instead and let the thread continue without any more similar contributions. This is after all a very friendly and gentle warning, I really don't want to have to do something because a poster took a joke one step too far.

So thanks for posting on the CR Forums but please don't make me come back to this thread, okay?
10131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 12/15/12

diodrin wrote:


-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


Smells like fanatical devotion. Not really a forum discussion so much as your announcement that you think your life is better than others.


Agreed... This type of mentality is exactly what religion is supposed to dispel. Sadly, for some, it doesnt...
16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12
You do need religion to find meaning in life or belief in god, there are many things in this world to find meaning in.

REAL things, however some people have nothing and it is not good to take away what could be their last hope.
To me religion is just another drug, a mental one.

"Religion is the opium of the people" - Karl Marx

10616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12
Even if God does exist, I don't think even he would consider a life having purpose if all that person did in their life was believe in Gods existence. In a sense, that would make God merely a despot who wants everyone to worship him or burn for not. I'm not saying God does or does not exist, but I think it's how we use that time that gives life a purpose. For instance, what can we teach and give back to the next generation so they can continue the existence of people in general? What can we do to better the ecosystem so the earth doesn't deteriorate in the future? Or how can you help those in need? I think any of those would be more than a valid purpose, and there's many things that can make a persons life fulfilling. If you've lived your life with the only purpose being the afterlife, then that will be your life's purpose.

I think if you believe that God exists and is utterly righteous, don't you think you should follow his will which is portrayed as his love of life and peace on earth? That would be giving life a purpose.

*If you're curious to what my stance is on religion, I simply accept it is something that is beyond my knowledge. I don't believe in or doubt there is a God, but I have ideals and values I have learned that I intend to follow whether God exists or not.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/27/12
Life is not more meaningful if you believe god exists. It simply gives you a different perspective about life. If u accept a certain religion whatever it is you would have to actually devote yourself to it before it would give your life meaning. Anything in the world can you give meaning , a purpose to live.
Posted 12/28/12
As a baptist christian who became an athiest, I would say yeah, it is. Things seem a lot more chaotic and pointless. Could just be me.
Posted 12/28/12

ChickenAndBeer wrote:

If god exist then he is one cruel, twisted mother fucker.


lol, that too.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 12/29/12 , edited 12/29/12
Why should there be a purpose for life?
10114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 12/29/12

Kuriya wrote:

Why should there be a purpose for life?


Ego.

One of the reasons I believe religion has lasted so long even through the face and facts of science. Human ego. If god/jehovah/allah is real then the human race is the most important species on the planet and the center of the universe. But if evolution is real... well we are just a step in a long line of beings. Who wants to be a step? Better to be the center of the universe. And you gotta admit... humans by nature are true egotists....

Personally I do believe in a higher power. It could be anything. From a supreme type being to just a complex equation to a computer program trying to figure out the meaning of 42. I just dont believe its the invisible man that lives up in the sky.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 12/29/12

kaibigan39 wrote:


Kuriya wrote:

Why should there be a purpose for life?


Ego.

One of the reasons I believe religion has lasted so long even through the face and facts of science. Human ego. If god/jehovah/allah is real then the human race is the most important species on the planet and the center of the universe. But if evolution is real... well we are just a step in a long line of beings. Who wants to be a step? Better to be the center of the universe. And you gotta admit... humans by nature are true egotists....

Personally I do believe in a higher power. It could be anything. From a supreme type being to just a complex equation to a computer program trying to figure out the meaning of 42. I just dont believe its the invisible man that lives up in the sky.


Well that's interesting view of point indeed! Personally I have come to a conclusion that my life doesn't serve a purpose, at least I'm not aware of it. I have no specific goal in my life, I'm not a man of faith nor am I atheist either. I'm open and I always remain a little skeptic. Maybe that's my purpose -If you can see it as one, at least I don't.
First  Prev  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.