First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Life more meaningful when you believe that God exists?
8718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 6/20/13
Considering that I'm catholic, yes.
4020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

AcadGlade wrote:


-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


Okay, so you think that when you die, you go to heaven, that is understandable, Alot of people wonder what happens when you die, Do you go to Heaven if your " Good "? or to hell if your bad?

Okay, Ironman, lets not go for personal opinions as to what is the case,

1st Question: Do all good people go to heaven?

Acts 2:34: “David [whom the Bible refers to as being ‘a man agreeable to Jehovah’s heart’] did not ascend to the heavens.”

Matt. 11:11: “Truly I say to you people, Among those born of women there has not been raised up a greater than John the Baptist; but a person that is a lesser one in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he is.” (So John did not go to heaven when he died.)

Ps. 37:9, 11, 29: “Evildoers themselves will be cut off, but those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth . . . The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”

Ironman, I have a question for you, If Adam had not sinned, would he eventually have gone to heaven?



No, because man was made in the image of God. Man was created as an immortal being. If man had not sinned he would not have known death.
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


Okay, so you think that when you die, you go to heaven, that is understandable, Alot of people wonder what happens when you die, Do you go to Heaven if your " Good "? or to hell if your bad?

Okay, Ironman, lets not go for personal opinions as to what is the case,

1st Question: Do all good people go to heaven?

Acts 2:34: “David [whom the Bible refers to as being ‘a man agreeable to Jehovah’s heart’] did not ascend to the heavens.”

Matt. 11:11: “Truly I say to you people, Among those born of women there has not been raised up a greater than John the Baptist; but a person that is a lesser one in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he is.” (So John did not go to heaven when he died.)

Ps. 37:9, 11, 29: “Evildoers themselves will be cut off, but those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth . . . The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”

Ironman, I have a question for you, If Adam had not sinned, would he eventually have gone to heaven?



No, because man was made in the image of God. Man was created as an immortal being. If man had not sinned he would not have known death.

You mean Adam was created immortal, He was also given free will, which meant, that he could make choices, Good or bad ones, Unfortunately, along with his mate, he chose to rebel against God by eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good or bad.

And Just as God had promised Adam, He began the long road to his eventual death, he and his mate eve.
The Bible book of Romans 5:12: states this truth :That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned. "

The above Psalm is what I hope to see accomplished.
7428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/3/13
Hrm, I guess this just depends on the person.

I'm not the religious sort, so I really don't have a definitive concept on "heaven" or the after life.

If anything, this helps me live more in a more meaningful manner. I may not live life to worship a god, which some find solace in,- but I live life according to how I feel and how I want. I dont have a invisible hand guiding me, but I'm forging my own path, which I find alot more exciting. If you know you'll be going somewhere after death- whether if its heaven, zen, whatever- and it's suppose to be better then this mortal plane, wouldn't you live life in the opposite manner?

Why live to your fullest when you believe in something after? You'll live happier and fuller in your believed after life; therefore, technically you'll never life you mortal life fully because fulfillment is after death.

Again, Im not the religious sort, it doesn't float my boat. I enjoy the life I have, Im greatful for the people I choose to keep, I have love, tears, laugh, joy, and some pain- but to me, all the good and the bad, broadens my horizons and I experience more....which makes me feel like Im living alot better then most.

So (or me) I don't need a god, religion, the promise of every lasting life, 40 virigins, or any of that to feel that I'm fully living life everyday.
27198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 7/3/13
that depends on the person. For me it dose not matter ether way. I give meaning to my life. Its not given meaning by how much I help my fellow man or how good i am. It is given meaning cause my my life matters to me and I believe in so there for I am.
Xeiom 
47610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


I think I understand you feeling behind this idea.

Consider the following.

The belief in a God or afterlife may provide the feeling of a more meaningful existence but the act of believing does not affect that actual extent to which life has a meaning.

If there is no God or afterlife, then believing in them is just as meaningless as not believing in them.
If there is a God or afterlife, then not believing in them is just as meaningful as believing in them.
19028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Mid-Atlantic
Offline
Posted 7/10/13
Let's put it this way, I do not believe in god at best I am an agnostic but lean more toward the belief that spiritual or religious beliefs are more than likely predicated by the DMT gene, and I do not feel that life is less meaningful than any of my religious friends, some of whom are very religious. I tend to harbor a more positive view on life than many of them do and am not as open to despair as they are.
15077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 7/12/13
8821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / trapped
Offline
Posted 7/15/13
my opinion is it doesnt matter whether god exists or not or the status of other religions...being catholic or jewish or muslim is not gunna chang the fact that i am here on this earth ...being on earth and living is just that..live and let live...religion is more of a guideline for those religious to follow a way of living ...myself i do believe in god but i am not bias ..i believe is Buddha as well ..if this is confusing im sorry...i guess what im saying is religion for me of any kind does not make my life precious its just there..like music is there and television and air..its just there for us..use it if you want or dont , im still gunna live my life happy and exciting everyday doing things i love and loving the people in my life ..and if i help people along the way then good for me and them ..and if i dont it is still okay ..
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 7/17/13
It may not be said that there is not god. It may be said, however, that there is no good reason to believe that there is a god; It is a complete non sequitur to claim: "life is more meaningful if a celestial dictator exists."
Posted 7/22/13
I recently went to church and felt some sort of spiritual connection I didn't expect. I also ran into people I new from along time ago I didn't expect to see in church. I took this as a sign. I'm still one of little faith but hopefully I find a new meaning to life by going to church more often.
44348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M & F / New Ameri...
Offline
Posted 7/22/13 , edited 7/22/13
Let me break this down.

Monnie_Sosa wrote:
I recently went to church and felt some sort of spiritual connection I didn't expect.

That's called a chemical reaction in the brain releasing endorphins from being in company of many people with similar goals and an empathic leader guiding them.


I also ran into people I new from along time ago I didn't expect to see in church. I took this as a sign.

Happens anywhere, most likely friends of family and families of theirs. More likely to happen in a family oriented, community setting like this.


I'm still one of little faith but hopefully I find a new meaning to life by going to church more often.
I encourage you to stay skeptical, questioning authority can be terrifying but it enables you with a power and freedom like no other. Feeling drawn to the mysticism and pathos and making excuses to yourself from biblical perspectives is the sign you should be looking for beforehand, because before you realize it, it's too late.

It's your life. Stay in charge of it.

Posted 7/23/13
Everything I believe today I may not believe tomorrow. I'm always skeptical but one thing I do know is that religion makes people content and comfortable with there lives. I haven't felt very content or comfortable until I went to church and asked god for forgiveness.
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
Wait. . . So because I don't believe in god I don't have a purpose in life?
Wow. . . How very rude. . .
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 7/23/13
You ask if life more meaningful and then you say "Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists"
Make your mind up and have some respect for people's choice in life.
One thing I can't stand is people trying to get others to believe in something in such a rude and hurtful way.


First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.