First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Life more meaningful when you believe that God exists?
Posted 9/3/09
Meaning is put into the hands of each and every different person here and you make it however you see fit.

Belief in God or not.
232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 9/3/09

Ryutai-Desk wrote:


latigra22787 wrote:

Why do we need an after life to appreciate life? The thought that we are so caught up in what is to come afterwards takes away from the one life that we live is pointless. I know I have this life and with this life I will do my best to appreciate all I have around me and to one day become part of the earth we all have come from. The thought that I can be one with the earth again comforts me. My shell of a body will exist even in its decomposing state to exist in a way that may help the earth.

God is something that humans create because they are afraid of death.... death is part of life. One may not wish for death to come but it is inevitable. I, at such a young age, have come to realize that death, like everything else in your life, is something one must feel at peace with before truly cherishing each day that comes to us.


Are you a non-believer?
If yes, do you think it'd be fair to kind people who lived in poor condition without being praised of their life in after life?
Then if we do not think of our life after death or do not believe such thing as hell, then many people would care less of what they do in this world when they alive, if they do not believe of hell, it'd encourages people to do bad things that only benefit themselves such as robbery.


I do not believe in a god and even so I have a conscience. I do my best in this world so that the future may exist for people. I live to help people and I live for the people I love to have a good life that they may enjoy with out hardship. Just because one is atheist does not mean that they do not believe in justice.... I happen to be a police officer.
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/3/09

Ryutai-Desk
Are you a non-believer?
If yes, do you think it'd be fair to kind people who lived in poor condition without being praised of their life in after life?


It's not fair that they have to be poor in this life. Most people who live in poverty wouldn't have to if other people would lend a hand and not hoard all of the Earth's resources. If not having an afterlife is considered unfair, then according to his (and my) beliefs no one is going to have an afterlife, so it is fair.


Then if we do not think of our life after death or do not believe such thing as hell, then many people would care less of what they do in this world when they alive, if they do not believe of hell, it'd encourages people to do bad things that only benefit themselves such as robbery.


By that logic, every single person who is non-religious would be an evil low-life criminal. But it's pretty obvious that that is not the case, in fact from my personal experiences (the key word is "personal"), non-religious people tend to care more about others and the environment, while religious people tend to care more about themselves (which doesn't make them bad people of course). Also, as Darkphoenix has stated many times, atheistic nations have lower crime rates that religious nations. While the crime rates aren't necessarily a result of religious affiliation, it does refute your claim that people who don't believe in an afterlife cause more trouble than people who do believe in it.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
37027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/09

latigra22787 wrote:


digs wrote:

^ Actually, we will have jobs in heaven, live in mansions, have a perfect society, and be one with God. It's going to be perfect and won't be bad for anyone. We don't even have the full picture of how amazing it will be.

Heaven will be joyful to us, not a burden or boring. It's going to be the perfect blessing and no one is going to feel bad about it.


That sounds all types of messed up to me. Why would you need a job in heaven anyways?


Why not? The Bible says it will be a city. I think God will have us do things that are joyful and beneficial.
567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 9/3/09
The meaning of life is for life to have meaning

Even if God doesn't exist people would still have a meaning in life
10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 9/3/09





no, no. What I meant to say is the belief that what they did in human's life is nothing to do to their life after death.

Sure the statistic of crime in non-believer country is lower than any other country. That applies in society which has fixed laws, justice and do not discriminate those who commit crimes. But the people in 3rd world country such as south-east asia, Africa and south America continent who thinks that afterlife doesn't exist (Hell - Heaven) still has higher crime rate.

@latigra : Of course, non -believer has sense of justice and morality as our parents and our society taught us to respect each other. But how if society betrayed you, your parents abandoned you and no one comes to help you. Furthermore, you're alone without any relatives and no friends wanted to talk to you (in such case, if you had been accused for something terrible.) To who you seek help?

I know some of them could held the pressure, but if the person is has feeble minds, it could explains of what was happened at incidents of indiscriminate shooting at many campus and street. They might be not non-believer, but it could explains such pressure to the extend they do such thing. (mass shooting)

I do know some religions has been used for reasons in war, but they're wrong in many way. That's not true religion, as I believe all religions teach about peace.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/3/09 , edited 9/3/09

With an omnipotent "God": Looking forward to afterlife is a big consideration in life that might make people do good works in order to achieve that nirvana. But you should still make the best of your life cuz its the only one you have!

Without a "God": All the more you should enjoy life. This could cause bad decisions in people because they might think they can do anything they want and wont be punished. Life is still meaningful because it is the basis of happines(Life liberty pursuit of happiness, ring any bells?).

I believe life is the most meaningful when there is a God because there is just more to look forward too in the end. Its like more ice cream after dessert ^_^.

The only circumstance where i think life would not matter is in the Calvinist mindset. The "predestined" where chosen before birth and automatically get eternal salvation. Their lives were strict and routine. I would rather just die and go to heaven.
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

digs wrote:


cerisey wrote:

I don't get how God and heaven gives you purpose. What is that purpose? Enlighten me.


the purpose depends on what religion you follow. For Christians, our purpose is to be beings of worship, we were created to love and worship God. However, God had given us free will so that we may have the capacity to truly be beings of love and worship towards Him.


ahhh free will......love me and believe me i will love you back....dont believe in me, go burn in hell and suffer....some free will
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

digs wrote:


latigra22787 wrote:


digs wrote:

^ Actually, we will have jobs in heaven, live in mansions, have a perfect society, and be one with God. It's going to be perfect and won't be bad for anyone. We don't even have the full picture of how amazing it will be.

Heaven will be joyful to us, not a burden or boring. It's going to be the perfect blessing and no one is going to feel bad about it.


That sounds all types of messed up to me. Why would you need a job in heaven anyways?


Why not? The Bible says it will be a city. I think God will have us do things that are joyful and beneficial.


so if there is a job in the heaven, and we all will live in a mansion, and have a perfect society.....who is the one that will clean the sewers, build the mansions, and the buildings in the heavens? if it is perfect place for the afterlife, who will get the dirty jobs? I see! the god will make the slave out of he souls from hell to do the dirty jobs, and make the hell's deziens into slaves for the heaven....
4204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
and what am I supposed to do in heaven?
Scientist Moderator
digs 
37027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

redfinger1 wrote:


digs wrote:


latigra22787 wrote:


digs wrote:

^ Actually, we will have jobs in heaven, live in mansions, have a perfect society, and be one with God. It's going to be perfect and won't be bad for anyone. We don't even have the full picture of how amazing it will be.

Heaven will be joyful to us, not a burden or boring. It's going to be the perfect blessing and no one is going to feel bad about it.


That sounds all types of messed up to me. Why would you need a job in heaven anyways?


Why not? The Bible says it will be a city. I think God will have us do things that are joyful and beneficial.


so if there is a job in the heaven, and we all will live in a mansion, and have a perfect society.....who is the one that will clean the sewers, build the mansions, and the buildings in the heavens? if it is perfect place for the afterlife, who will get the dirty jobs? I see! the god will make the slave out of he souls from hell to do the dirty jobs, and make the hell's deziens into slaves for the heaven....


Who's to say we will need sewers or have gross jobs? What you state isn't anywhere in the Bible, all it says is that hell is eternal and is punishment. It's separation from God and isn't in heaven.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
37027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

redfinger1 wrote:


digs wrote:


cerisey wrote:

I don't get how God and heaven gives you purpose. What is that purpose? Enlighten me.


the purpose depends on what religion you follow. For Christians, our purpose is to be beings of worship, we were created to love and worship God. However, God had given us free will so that we may have the capacity to truly be beings of love and worship towards Him.


ahhh free will......love me and believe me i will love you back....dont believe in me, go burn in hell and suffer....some free will


Actually... it is more like "I love you and will die for you even though you reject me. I have paid for your hell and freely give you my love and forgiveness. However, because I love you and give you free will, the choice is yours."
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 9/12/09 , edited 9/12/09

digs wrote:


redfinger1 wrote:


ahhh free will......love me and believe me i will love you back....dont believe in me, go burn in hell and suffer....some free will


Actually... it is more like "I love you and will die for you even though you reject me. I have paid for your hell and freely give you my love and forgiveness. However, because I love you and give you free will, the choice is yours."


"...and if you choose not to believe in me, you'll go to hell." If that's considered "love" then it is hard for me to imagine hatred being any worse.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09
I don't think that living a life without the concept of a higher being is more meaningful. Maybe in theory it is. But in reality, it might not always be true. I mean, if there's no God or a higher being out there then does that mean we simply existed at random? There must be more than just existing and living. I think that the word "meaning" is very much associated with "purpose". Why do we exist? I'm sure the reason is not just simply to multiply and ensure the survival of our species. There must be more to life than that. Personally, I'd like to think that there's actually an higher being out there who created us for a purpose, and we're all part of a greater plan.

You might disagree with me but I just refuse to believe we're simply tiny, insignificant specks of life in this universe. There must be a meaning behind our existence.
2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 9/12/09

vinsane01 wrote:

To some extent it will be more meaningful to think that there is life after death. But like what others have stated, its also fulfilling to think that after this life there is nothingness. People who think like this, tend to try to live their lives to the best way possible and enjoy it, thus living a meaningful life. In my case, before i die i want to leave a legacy, so that generations after me will remember me.

Whereas if you believe in a higher being, some people will tend to commit their life into worshiping and not living a life the way it should be. But If that's the way they would want to think about life, that is to worship and praise a God and committing themselves to this God, then life is meaningful for them. That is if they believe in what they do without doubts.

When it comes down to it, a person's perspective about life is the main factor that determines the meaningfulness of their life. Whether your an agnostic, atheist or a religious person, your life will be meaningful if you choose it to be.


I agree with this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.