First  Prev  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Life more meaningful when you believe that God exists?
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 2/13/13

Goomoonryong wrote:


-Vega- wrote:


Goomoonryong wrote:

No its not more meaningful. Whether he exists or not is irrelevant. Life does not need some divine meaning or purpose. Find your own meaning and purpose and don't rely on the belief of a deity/supreme being to give them to you. If God exists he intended you to be who you are. Try your best to follow your own sense of right and I imagine he/she/it would be proud of you.


This is wrong and right.



Nice to know someone thinks my views aren't completely wrong


Thanks. It was actually mostly right.

13649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/13
Eh. it depends. I'm not religious, but I do believe God exists. But I never rely on him - I simply think of him as just a creator, that put me on this Earth for an unknown reason, and that's for me to figure out.
Posted 2/15/13 , edited 2/16/13
I'm not sure if and how a person can pick believing in God over simply being a spiritual person in general but I think that depends on who you are. I'll bet there are some strictly see-it-to-believe-it people who may feel that a world that was even remotely spiritual is one they are not in favor of. I, on the other hand, seem to adore the idea that there is something spiritual underneath the surface of materialism we see daily for one reason or another, and often ask myself if what I'm believing in truly exists or not BECAUSE I can't see it. I think that, without those beliefs, I would be very depressed; maybe it's because life without it seems so dull and black-and-white to me..meaningless, if you will. That's not to say it's bad, but I highly doubt I'm the type of person who could adjust to that sort of thing.


deadlyravingkid wrote:

i personally think that not believing in god would make you love life more because you would make the most of the life you have because their is no afterlife but then again i believe in god so i cant talk.


So, you think that a person who neglected their belief in God would WANT to live? : / Personally, I think that'd be like taking water from a fish in hopes that they'll look forward to an afterlife aka..torture. If a person has their sights set on something that works for them, why ought they not try and be happy with it? Especially when they believe in it as strongly as you believe in anything else.

I don't agree with what the OP said, though - if you hate this world so much that you're living it just to get to somewhere afterwards, you're probably not appreciating the cards you've been dealt when you were very likely dealt them for a reason. But maybe I'm wrong about everything.
7219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Hamilton, New Zea...
Offline
Posted 2/15/13
i personally think that not believing in god would make you love life more because you would make the most of the life you have because their is no afterlife but then again i believe in god so i cant talk.
7219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Hamilton, New Zea...
Offline
Posted 2/16/13 , edited 2/16/13

anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

I'm not sure if and how a person can pick believing in God over simply being a spiritual person in general but I think that depends on who you are. I'll bet there are some strictly see-it-to-believe-it people who may feel that a world that was even remotely spiritual is one they are not in favor of. I, on the other hand, seem to adore the idea that there is something spiritual underneath the surface of materialism we see daily for one reason or another, and often ask myself if what I'm believing in truly exists or not BECAUSE I can't see it. I think that, without those beliefs, I would be very depressed; maybe it's because life without it seems so dull and black-and-white to me..meaningless, if you will. That's not to say it's bad, but I highly doubt I'm the type of person who could adjust to that sort of thing.


deadlyravingkid wrote:

i personally think that not believing in god would make you love life more because you would make the most of the life you have because their is no afterlife but then again i believe in god so i cant talk.


So, you think that a person who neglected their belief in God would WANT to live? : / Personally, I think that'd be like taking water from a fish in hopes that they'll look forward to an afterlife aka..torture. If a person has their sights set on something that works for them, why ought they not try and be happy with it? Especially when they believe in it as strongly as you believe in anything else.

I don't agree with what the OP said, though - if you hate this world so much that you're living it just to get to somewhere afterwards, you're probably not appreciating the cards you've been dealt when you were very likely dealt them for a reason. But maybe I'm wrong about everything.


i just think that if you didn't believe in an afterlife you would make the most of the life you have. and saying that people "neglect their belief in God" makes it sound like you think everyone believes in god but they choose not to accept that fact.
Posted 2/16/13 , edited 3/10/13


Nah, that's not what I said or how I meant it. Obviously, not everyone believes in God. I'm saying that ignoring your faith (IF you have any, because you have to have some to lose some) is most likely a bad thing to do. You seem to believe that if a person chose not to believe in God, they'd attempt to take a more logical approach to life. What if that person is ILLOGICAL? Then they are suppressing themselves, and suppressing leads to depression. So, I'm saying they'd probably choose to live LESS. I don't believe a person can learn to accept something they feel is totally unfit for themselves. I'm all for the development of mankind, but I don't think a person needs to lose their faith to develop. For some, perhaps spirituality > physicality.
7219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Hamilton, New Zea...
Offline
Posted 2/16/13 , edited 3/10/13


Nah, that's not what I said or how I meant it. Obviously, not everyone believes in God. I'm saying that ignoring your faith (IF you have any, because you have to have some to lose some) is most likely a bad thing to do. You seem to believe that if a person chose not to believe in God, they'd attempt to take a more logical approach to life. What if that person is ILLOGICAL? Then they are suppressing themselves, and suppressing leads to depression. So, I'm saying they'd probably choose to live LESS. I don't believe a person can learn to accept something they feel is totally unfit for themselves. I'm all for the development of mankind, but I don't think a person needs to lose their faith to develop. For some, perhaps spirituality > physicality.
I see fair enough. I never thought of it like that.
4582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 2/17/13
Perhaps some people find the idea that we are only here because our parents had (and possibly forced) to have sex is a scary thought.

That there is no point to our lives at all.

We are here alive but never asked to be, that life isn't a 'blessing' (One thing the religious like to say, ignoring the fact it isn't for many), it's just a coincidence. Whether you get a good one in a rich country with a loving family or a bad one in a war-torn country as an orphan is just chance.

That if you died tomorrow you'd be mourned for a bit but then forgotten about, with no after-life of any shape or form waiting for you. Your body decomposes away and that's that. Eventually every human will be gone and the earth too.

Maybe nature, with all it's cruelties, doesn't have enough romance for some people, so they need belief of some sort to see them through.
2163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 2/20/13
I am not religious but I envy people that are. I can't help but admire people that follow a deity although I don't follow one myself. From my prospective, to blindly follow an uncertain higher force is odd but I will never look down on them because there's a lot of light in believing. If I had to compare it to something, it's like believing in Santa or the Tooth Fairy. I can only imagine that the feeling of believing in a deity is similar to that. There's something uplifting and assuring to know that there is a force out there that is above everything on earth. Of course, this is from the perspective of a person that has never worshiped anything before.

In a way, I am an existential thinker. I never feel like I could make my own choices because somewhere in my mind I feel like I have no freedom to. What I truly want is never obtained but yet it is all fulfilling because there is that thought that maybe something is out there that sees all. What purpose does my existence serve. I think it's very easy to dismiss the idea that there is simply no point in life. I won't say that it's exactly a gift either but taking the idea of believing could make something out of nothing is remarkable. For that and in a sense, I am jealous of those that can believe in God.

Does it make life more meaningful? Depends. If you look at a poem, a song, or artwork, did the creator really intend to move you in such a way or is it all in your head? Did the poet intend to put so much meaning into a blue curtain or was it all on you? Does it make the feelings you felt any less real?

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Posted 2/22/13
living life differently because you fear god or you fear what happens when you die is not living at all. find your own path and enjoy it, what ever religious or non religious faith that may be.
23848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 2/23/13
My life is full of meaning. I mean something to the people who love me. The people I love mean a lot to me. My life is full of love and appreciation. There's hope and determination, empathy, candor. I make a difference in some peoples' lives. I gave life to my child.
I believe a righteous god would consider and appreciate this, whether or not I read some specific book and come to worship on a certain day or not. If there's a god that pays more attention to whether or not I pray a certain prayer than how I behave to fellow human beings, then I say screw that.
It doesn't really matter who is wrong or right. We will all find out sooner or later. What matters is, that you don't force your belief onto others. Just because you believe something to be wrong/right, doesn't mean that someone else has to do as you say. In the end, you wouldn't want other people doing exactly that to you.
16405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ロンドン、カナダ
Offline
Posted 2/23/13
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
29250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/23/13
it is possible for someone to be deeply spiritual without actually believing in god. or a god.
23848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 2/23/13

Mono-no-Aware wrote:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius


Couldn't have put it any better.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / south wales, UK
Offline
Posted 3/5/13

-IRONMAN- wrote:

Life has no purpose if you don't believe that God exists. You live for a period of time and then what? You die, and after you die there is nothing, what is life without God? pointless its so stupid that if there was no God its better if we never did exist, we wouldn't need to suffer. But if there was a God its a different story, you die and you go to heaven (or hope to) which i think puts more meaning into life


I'd have to disagree with this. why would life have no meaning if god didn't exist? it would just mean you'd have to make your own reason to live. the most basic of which (which all animals live for) is to pass on their genes to the next generation.
but even without any meaning. you live you die, what then/ your body rots down, gets absorbed into the ground and in turn by the plants that are eaten by animals, which live and die with part of you inside them.

there is a theory that every person on earth has several molecules that were once part of einstin, plato, socrates, homer (the greek writer not simpson lol) and just about anyone else who ever lived. we were all once part of them
and when you go back further, part of us was once a dinosaur, the earth itself, the sun, we were once the stars in the sky, we are starstuff the universe made manifest. and thus within each of us are molicules that will one day become great leaders, poets, philosophers, artists, entertainers, religious prophets and much more

and when you look at life like that what does it matter if there is no god? or maybe it's that we are god, we are the universe we're born, we live, some of us do great things, and then we die, but part of us lives on. in our children, our life's work, in the atoms of our bodies as they pass through the world to other people, thus we are never truly dead when we are always born in other people after our deaths we will eventually become everyone.
so who needs heaven/hell valhalla, summerland, nirvana, or whatever you choose to call it. who needs deities.


all that said I will say this I do have a faith, though it does not have deities in the traditional abrahamic sense so for me god is not some all powerful being, heaven/hell/afterlife are not concepts I follow. to be the divine are the rocks and trees, the river and wind. the world itself, that flash of lightening in the sky, that view of the landscape that just takes your breath away. so everything above is just my take on this topic. and other's are free to believe what they wish who's to say who's right and who's wrong until that final day when we get to explore what shaspere called the "undiscovered country"
First  Prev  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.