First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Life more meaningful when you believe that God exists?
83 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 2/21/09

Gaia93 wrote:

Well you have to believe in something, or else what is the point of your existence?

Kinda sad when someone brings up a topic about God, atheist become butthurt and feel like they need to respond to every.single.one as if they're making some kind of point by shouting over their keyboards, "There is no God, "Theory of Evolution!"

Actually I'm getting tired of both of them arguing about God and if there is one. Because obviously neither of them are getting through to each other.


butt hurt? do you think Ozzy Osbourne is butt hurt?

Do u think Metallica is butt hurt?

Do you think people who enjoy living are butt hurt?

no people are just annoyed of Christians and Religious people who think they are better then everybody else when they say things like life has no meaning if you don't beleive in god.

Yeah i'm sure Metallica thinks there life doesn't have any existence, they love music they do what they love doing, brings meaning to there life.
27546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / London
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
The meaning of life is to reproduce and die. That is all there is to it. Life lacks purpose or direction even if you believe.
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
True, believing in God gives you a false security, but would you rather live in mental darkness than actually ask questions and find answers?
Just wondering though, are you really that ignorant not to realize that a "God" is actually not the reason why people have direction in their lives? Are not you just saying indirectly that they should be religious? Religious groups had been known to cause troubles--they have too much radicals that they actually go to wars; there are extremists who ends up hypocritical; and of course, there are those who would rather accept their belief because they do not want to be branded stupid after their beliefs had been proven way too wrong.
In the end, "God" is just a "placebo effect;" nothing more nothing less. It ("God") is just a tool of fooling other people into submission to the abysmal depths of mental imbecility; God is nothing more than a way to give false sense of security that happened to positively affect our mentality so we happen to undergo "placebo effect" at certain times.
And "placebo effect" is the test done with groups of people regarding the effect of positive mentality to curing health problems. Positive mentality did prove useful, just like believing in God. But that does not mean you have to believe in God; you just need a positive mind set--not really an idiotic thing such as a God that only has stupidity as a proof of existence.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
38058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/09

kyoukoujin wrote:


digs wrote:


kyoukoujin wrote:


digs wrote:


cerisey wrote:

I don't get how God and heaven gives you purpose. What is that purpose? Enlighten me.


the purpose depends on what religion you follow. For Christians, our purpose is to be beings of worship, we were created to love and worship God. However, God had given us free will so that we may have the capacity to truly be beings of love and worship towards Him.


Wouldn't it suck if GOD said, "you will only love me. A man will no longer love a woman. Only me. A woman will no longer love a man. Only me"?
The feeling of brotherly/sisterly love is of course different to a heterosexual love.


Not to mention, GOD has Jesus, his right hand man.

So, what are we, "the toes"?


God didn't say we can't love others, in fact He commands us to. Luk 10:27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Jhn 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." Jhn 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.. I can post many many more, there are tons of verses in the Bible saying to love one another, and in doing so we are also loving God.

Jesus is God, He is in the Father and the Father is in Him. They aren't the same person but they are One. Jhn 14:10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Jhn 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. Jhn 15:9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.. Again, there are numerous verses where Jesus states that He is the Son of God and in the Father, and that the Father is in Him. Those of us who believe in the name of Jesus and repent of our sins are in His love and remain in Him

God loves us all and shows no favoritism. Act 10:34 Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism Rom 2:11 For God does not show favoritism. The Love of God is beyond what we can comprehend. He loves us enough to die for us and suffer the punishment that we deserve so that we might be saved. God loves us all with unfailing Love, one could say He loves us with "All His Heart." We all may have a personal relationship with God and have a closer relationship with Him, but God loves us all beyond hat we can even imagine.



'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Jhn 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." Jhn 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

About that, so God was implying that homosexual relationship is acceptable?


Act 10:34 Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism Rom 2:11 For God does not show favoritism.

Was there a part in the bible where people had to paint the front door of their house with goat blood?
And, whichever house that did not have the paint blood on their front door, the angel will come inside and kill the first boy of the family?
Why did he resort on doing that? Instead of peaceful ways, he resorted to inflict death to his own creations?


God is not implying that homosexual relationships are acceptable. The Bible does not equate sex with love. It talks about pure love and not physical attraction.

And you are partially correct. There is an account in the Bible where the Hebrew people had to sacrifice a lamb and put its blood over the door post so their children may be spared. The account comes from the beginning of the Exodus. The Hebrew people (Soon to be Jews) were enslaved in Egypt and oppressed by the pharaoh. God promised that He would deliver them into the promise land (Canaan, or what currently we call the region of Palestine and Israel). God chose to do this through the Prophet Moses. The beginning of the story paraphrased goes like this. God had commanded Moses to return to Egypt (He had fled to Moab after killing an Egyptian guard who was beating a Hebrew slave) and tell the pharaoh to let his people (the Hebrews) leave. Pharaoh refused to let them go, so God had afflicted Egypt with 10 plagues. After pharaoh refused to let the Hebrews go, God had turned their water into blood. After this Moses asked pharaoh again, and he refused again. The next plague was a plague of frogs, frogs ran rampant in Egypt and annoyed the people. Moses again asked pharaoh to let his people go, but he refused. Next God had sent a plague of gnats upon Egypt, and the gnats annoyed the people and animals. After the third plague pharaoh said the Hebrews could leave, but he was deceitful and prevented them from going. Upon asking a fourth time pharaoh said no, and God sent a plague of flies across Egypt. After this, Moses asked pharaoh a fifth time and again pharaoh refused him. So God sent a fifth plague, the animals in Egypt had become diseased and died, their livestock was destroyed. After this plague Moses asked pharaoh a sixth time, and a sixth time pharaoh refused to let the enslaved Hebrews go. Again, God sent a sixth plague upon Egypt, this time it affected the Egyptians, the plague was boils infecting the citizens of Egypt. For a seventh time Moses went to pharaoh, and pharaoh refused him again. The seventh plague was powerful hailstorms that fell upon Egypt. The hail was so big that people died being pelted by it. After this plague pharaoh deceived the Hebrews a second time by saying they could go free, but after saying they could pharaoh prevented them from leaving. An eight time Moses asked pharaoh if the Hebrews could leave, and again pharaoh refused him. God sent a plague of Locusts upon Egypt that ate the crops and devastated the farmland. After this plague pharaoh was fed up and heartbroken, he confessed his wrongs and this time said that the Hebrews could truly leave in peace. However even though pharaoh was sincere, he changed his mind and denied them form leaving. Next came a plague of darkness, a thick darkness covered Egypt for three days, only the Israelites (Hebrews) had light to see in their homes. After the darkness, pharaoh actually summoned Moses and told him to take the Israelites into the desert (all of them) and have them worship the Lord. Moses asked pharaoh if he could bring the Israelite's livestock so they could make sacrifices to God, but pharaoh became angry and wouldn't let them leave. The tenth plague then came, and this was the plague of death, Every firstborn son in Egypt (whether they be human or animal) was killed by the Death Angel. God had told the Israelites to sacrifice a lamb for each family and cover their doorposts with the blood. If they did this, the plague would not harm them and the Death Angel would Passover their house (this is where the Jewish holiday Passover comes from). All the firstborn in Egypt had died because of pharaohs hard heart, each plague became worse and worse, Moses even warned pharaoh of some of the plagues, yet he refused to let them leave. After the tenth plague, pharaoh sent them away for good. Of course after the story pharaoh tracked them into the desert with his army and God parted the Red Sea and drowned the Egyptian soldiers and allowed the Israelites to cross the Sea of dry land (because the water had been parted). There is much more to the story, and if you want you can read the account of the 10 plagues of Egypt in Exodus 7-12. Here is a link to it if you want to read it online. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%207-12&version=31. God had warned pharaoh and each plague became worse and worse, and eventually it took the death of the firstborn sons in order to have the Israelites leave freely from their slavery in Egypt.
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
Depend on how you look at it.
Your goal is to reach heaven and to go to heaven you have to do "good" right ?
So those are your goals in life.
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
The blood red sea can be explained by red tide. The frogs can be explained by the red tide too. Lack of oxygen in water absorbed by red algae(correction needed as I'm not really sure if Red Tide is caused by algae or other life forms). Gnats eats crops. So it would only make sense if they go to Egypt. Why? Egypt has the Nile River, a nice agricultural area on its banks. And the frogs are rotting so it is normally attractive for them. Flies? They could have been the egg of the gnats the plague them. They after all reproduces too. About the animals, remember the frogs? Yeah, they should be rotting right now releasing diseases to the air, and the gnats could have helped in delivering the disease. So the animals are now dying. Now the locusts. Yes, farmlands. That explains it all. They eat crops. In hordes. Then the darkness. Ever heard Egypt has sand storms. It is dark when the sun light is reflected/blocked by a wall of sand. Egypt's sand can last long too. And the first born's death. That probably has something to do with Egypt's culture during that time. The first born sons eat first. Remember the plagues before? The rotting crops, the rotting cows, the rotting agriculture. Well, I/you forgot the ice storm but anyways, that is not of a huge necessity to explain the deaths. The Egyptians usually have their first born sons eat first as well as the top. Due the the 9 plagues, the rotting and the forgotten ice storm could have caused the saved resources to rot. Normally, rotting starts at the top because the top is where bacterias and other stuff comes in. Considering how the first born sons eat first as well as the possibility of the first food coming from the top of the rations, they have high chances of dying.
Though, I do not really see the relationship of this to having a meaningful life.
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 2/21/09

fireyhope wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

Well you have to believe in something, or else what is the point of your existence?

Kinda sad when someone brings up a topic about God, atheist become butthurt and feel like they need to respond to every.single.one as if they're making some kind of point by shouting over their keyboards, "There is no God, "Theory of Evolution!"

Actually I'm getting tired of both of them arguing about God and if there is one. Because obviously neither of them are getting through to each other.


butt hurt? do you think Ozzy Osbourne is butt hurt?

Do u think Metallica is butt hurt?

Do you think people who enjoy living are butt hurt?

no people are just annoyed of Christians and Religious people who think they are better then everybody else when they say things like life has no meaning if you don't beleive in god.

Yeah i'm sure Metallica thinks there life doesn't have any existence, they love music they do what they love doing, brings meaning to there life.


Lol, whatever. I've proven my point.

Well maybe butthurt wasn't the right word, couldn't think of anything else.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
38058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/09

jewishplayer wrote:

The blood red sea can be explained by red tide. The frogs can be explained by the red tide too. Lack of oxygen in water absorbed by red algae(correction needed as I'm not really sure if Red Tide is caused by algae or other life forms). Gnats eats crops. So it would only make sense if they go to Egypt. Why? Egypt has the Nile River, a nice agricultural area on its banks. And the frogs are rotting so it is normally attractive for them. Flies? They could have been the egg of the gnats the plague them. They after all reproduces too. About the animals, remember the frogs? Yeah, they should be rotting right now releasing diseases to the air, and the gnats could have helped in delivering the disease. So the animals are now dying. Now the locusts. Yes, farmlands. That explains it all. They eat crops. In hordes. Then the darkness. Ever heard Egypt has sand storms. It is dark when the sun light is reflected/blocked by a wall of sand. Egypt's sand can last long too. And the first born's death. That probably has something to do with Egypt's culture during that time. The first born sons eat first. Remember the plagues before? The rotting crops, the rotting cows, the rotting agriculture. Well, I/you forgot the ice storm but anyways, that is not of a huge necessity to explain the deaths. The Egyptians usually have their first born sons eat first as well as the top. Due the the 9 plagues, the rotting and the forgotten ice storm could have caused the saved resources to rot. Normally, rotting starts at the top because the top is where bacterias and other stuff comes in. Considering how the first born sons eat first as well as the possibility of the first food coming from the top of the rations, they have high chances of dying.
Though, I do not really see the relationship of this to having a meaningful life.


You may be right about those things, and sometimes God chooses to work through the natural order of things. Although I personally believe that God did these things miraculously, He does sometimes work through the natural order that He created. And I was telling the account because someone posted about the story.
1961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / (: ƃuoʞƃuoH
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
uhmmmm.... i'm not sure....

but i think yeah.... because i'm a catholic and i've been believing in God
for such a long time....
83 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 2/21/09

Gaia93 wrote:


fireyhope wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

Well you have to believe in something, or else what is the point of your existence?

Kinda sad when someone brings up a topic about God, atheist become butthurt and feel like they need to respond to every.single.one as if they're making some kind of point by shouting over their keyboards, "There is no God, "Theory of Evolution!"

Actually I'm getting tired of both of them arguing about God and if there is one. Because obviously neither of them are getting through to each other.


butt hurt? do you think Ozzy Osbourne is butt hurt?

Do u think Metallica is butt hurt?

Do you think people who enjoy living are butt hurt?

no people are just annoyed of Christians and Religious people who think they are better then everybody else when they say things like life has no meaning if you don't beleive in god.

Yeah i'm sure Metallica thinks there life doesn't have any existence, they love music they do what they love doing, brings meaning to there life.


Lol, whatever. I've proven my point.

Well maybe butthurt wasn't the right word, couldn't think of anything else.


what point? that alot of Christian Denominations are annoying little pests?
Jehova Witnesses, Pentacostal etc...
Posted 2/21/09

fireyhope wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:


fireyhope wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

Well you have to believe in something, or else what is the point of your existence?

Kinda sad when someone brings up a topic about God, atheist become butthurt and feel like they need to respond to every.single.one as if they're making some kind of point by shouting over their keyboards, "There is no God, "Theory of Evolution!"

Actually I'm getting tired of both of them arguing about God and if there is one. Because obviously neither of them are getting through to each other.


butt hurt? do you think Ozzy Osbourne is butt hurt?

Do u think Metallica is butt hurt?

Do you think people who enjoy living are butt hurt?

no people are just annoyed of Christians and Religious people who think they are better then everybody else when they say things like life has no meaning if you don't beleive in god.

Yeah i'm sure Metallica thinks there life doesn't have any existence, they love music they do what they love doing, brings meaning to there life.


Lol, whatever. I've proven my point.

Well maybe butthurt wasn't the right word, couldn't think of anything else.


what point? that alot of Christian Denominations are annoying little pests?
Jehova Witnesses, Pentacostal etc...


No, that atheist feel the need to bash every Christian they find when a topic is made about God. That again, some Christian bash atheists, so I guess it doesn't matter.

35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United States
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
^ like what you two are doing to each other right now...?

well, not really, its almost like one is bashing the other. i mean seriously, what is up with people and arguing about all of this silly stuff..let it go people!

Getting along with myself...i dont think so, i think i rather go out parting somewhere than stick to a bibble all day long. i rather belive in nothing than "Think" i belive in some person because someone says i should. i rather where the clothes i want instead of go with morals and try to avoid being called a slut like thoose christains do. i certainly have more freedom this way as i am.

but i cant call myself atheist, because i simply dont really care about thoose things. heck, i dont even know what im doing on this thread. mabye its just that i want to prove a point. or because theres simply nothing else better to do.
23882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
I don't believe so, for the same reasons some people have stated.
377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Q.C.
Offline
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 2/21/09
For Christians, they believe that God's existence is meaningful.

For Atheists, it's not meaningful.

Results : Bashing one another (Proving who's right)

Nobody is the winner here. They have THEIR own points of view. Stop this bullshit thing that proving your statements is right.

To the Christians out there : "If you think that God's existence is meaningful, good for you. But, don't prove atheists around that they're wrong. For they don't believe in God. It's pointless arguing with someone who doesn't believe in God."

To the atheists : "Stop the fuck up. Sop bashing Christians' points of view. You all don't believe in God. Then what's the point arguing in this topic when you all can't even see the point of the Christians. How can you even understand them? It's better to shut up than to bash on something you don't care of(Which is God) It's okay to give your opinions but bashing others is pointless."
2143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Candyland~
Offline
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 2/21/09
No, I don't think believing in God makes life more meaningful.
What I believe in is rebirth.
I don't want to go into a stupid argument to prove who's right, too.
Pointless.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.