First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Charts: KAT-TUN goes nine straight [18/2/09]
7134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/20/09 , edited 2/20/09


To sing is to utter a series of words or sounds in musical tones; to vocalize songs or selections; to perform songs or selections as a trained and professional singer; to make melodious sounds. Soulja Boy and Beyonce both do those above but who does it better cannot be finalized through statistics. Beyonce can hit every note possible leaving Soulja Boy sounding like a choked chicken. However, what she is able to do with a voice with such ability will determine who sings better. That being said, it is to someone's own opinion, own feelings, on who well she does it.

You're using Soulja boy as an example because it's clear who's the better singer in this situation? Of course Beyonce is, but that's an opinion. I can't prove that with numbers, with data sheets, etc. Even if I'm a music producer and I 100% acknowledging her ability to hit those amazing notes, I cannot say that "Beyonce is the better singer" through that because it's not solid enough.

"People can determine who is better at it" -- Exactly. People will decide who is better through their own knowledge, through their own ears, through their own thoughts. That's an opinion.

With the piano example, of course the person playing in perfect harmony is the better player. However, playing the piano is as narrow as it gets because the keys provided are the only thing a piano will be able to make a sound of. A voice can be manipulated, it can be stretched, it can project, screech, bent, etc. With such variety as opposed to the piano, how is it possible to make one sound judgment and call it a fact?

This is not like a food brand where you can clearly see which brand is healthier for you. The one on the right clearly (through tests and labeling) has less saturated fat and higher calories while the one on the left is vice versa. Such information is straightforward and leaves you with little reasoning to do as well as forcing you to make a decision on which is better. Singing is just too broad to pile it into one thing and claim that someone is a better singer because they can hit certain notes.

I feel like I'm repeating the same thing just as you are repeating the same thing. I'm not stubborn but I'm not willing to acknowledge what you say is true just as you would to me. If you have something to say, which I'm sure you will, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get back to ya'. I don't want anyone to read this thread thinking they're being preached.

edit:


legoplay wrote:

c'mon people. respect other people's OPINIONS, and please don't state them as "facts. LOL!
it's not as if doing so will prevent KAT TUN from getting their no.1's. and they are going to get their 10th no. 1 in 3 weeks time with "Rescue" single.

KT have good vocals. i doubt a person saying they don't have good vocals have properly heard their songs.
cmon, what about "LIPS" and "DON'T U EVER STOP"?
since it's more like rock, their voices need to come down hard with a BANG!, and they did!

and gosh people, they don't only sing, they act. Kamenashi won acting awards for Gokusen and Nobuta. that makes you realize how talented this group is.


They already released that single? o:
194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 2/20/09

mushrie wrote:


legoplay wrote:

c'mon people. respect other people's OPINIONS, and please don't state them as "facts. LOL!
it's not as if doing so will prevent KAT TUN from getting their no.1's. and they are going to get their 10th no. 1 in 3 weeks time with "Rescue" single.

KT have good vocals. i doubt a person saying they don't have good vocals have properly heard their songs.
cmon, what about "LIPS" and "DON'T U EVER STOP"?
since it's more like rock, their voices need to come down hard with a BANG!, and they did!

and gosh people, they don't only sing, they act. Kamenashi won acting awards for Gokusen and Nobuta. that makes you realize how talented this group is.


They already released that single? o:


the Rescue single? it will be released on March 11, exactly one month after One Drop w/c was released Feb 11.
so they topped the chart with One Drop last week. i think it is safe to assume they are gonna grab their 10th no.1 for Rescue.

the releases are kinda close to each other, but i think that is quite understandable as the 7 night Tokyo Dome is fast approaching, a new album might also pop out soon.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
117
Offline
Posted 2/20/09

mushrie wrote:





Instead of 'better singer', more vocal talent or skill, is a better way to put it. I can understand how who's a better singer can be subjective, but who has more skill or talent, is the same as the pianist example. DBSK can't just sing acapellas naturally, they have to actually practice and learn to hit certain notes, and get synchronized. It's the same as playing the piano, you need to practice, it's a skill.

So "better singer" is the subjective part, but I originally said they have more vocaltalent/skill, just like in the piano example, except their voices are the instrument. The voice can be manipulated in different ways, but they use it like instruments when they do their acapellas and each one need to hit the right notes and have the right harmony, just like how a pianist needs to hit the right keys. I see where the problem is now, somewhere it changed to "better singers" instead of "more skill/talent", and it's my opinion that if someone has more vocal skill or talent he is a better singer.
7134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/20/09

legoplay wrote:


mushrie wrote:


legoplay wrote:

c'mon people. respect other people's OPINIONS, and please don't state them as "facts. LOL!
it's not as if doing so will prevent KAT TUN from getting their no.1's. and they are going to get their 10th no. 1 in 3 weeks time with "Rescue" single.

KT have good vocals. i doubt a person saying they don't have good vocals have properly heard their songs.
cmon, what about "LIPS" and "DON'T U EVER STOP"?
since it's more like rock, their voices need to come down hard with a BANG!, and they did!

and gosh people, they don't only sing, they act. Kamenashi won acting awards for Gokusen and Nobuta. that makes you realize how talented this group is.


They already released that single? o:


the Rescue single? it will be released on March 11, exactly one month after One Drop w/c was released Feb 11.
so they topped the chart with One Drop last week. i think it is safe to assume they are gonna grab their 10th no.1 for Rescue.

the releases are kinda close to each other, but i think that is quite understandable as the 7 night Tokyo Dome is fast approaching, a new album might also pop out soon.


Oh, then that's a pretty smart move. So do you know if they plan to sing "Rescue" at the Tokyo Dome?


Yei wrote:


mushrie wrote:





Instead of 'better singer', more vocal talent or skill, is a better way to put it. I can understand how who's a better singer can be subjective, but who has more skill or talent, is the same as the pianist example. DBSK can't just sing acapellas naturally, they have to actually practice and learn to hit certain notes, and get synchronized. It's the same as playing the piano, you need to practice, it's a skill.

So "better singer" is the subjective part, but I originally said they have more vocaltalent/skill, just like in the piano example, except their voices are the instrument. The voice can be manipulated in different ways, but they use it like instruments when they do their acapellas and each one need to hit the right notes and have the right harmony, just like how a pianist needs to hit the right keys. I see where the problem is now, somewhere it changed to "better singers" instead of "more skill/talent", and it's my opinion that if someone has more vocal skill or talent he is a better singer.

Right when I said a PM would be nice...

Bingo.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
117
Offline
Posted 2/20/09
Okay then. They have better vocal talent/skill, but somewhere along the line that got changed to "better singers" and there's where the confusion was, I guess.

IMO better vocal talent/skill = better singer, but that's just me. That's why I didn't change it back sooner.
Posted 2/22/09 , edited 2/22/09

Maguri wrote:


scrystalz100 wrote:


Yei wrote:

Uhhhh The only reason they got #1 is because of the basic JE formula. Get girls obsessed over their looks and it doesn't matter if the song is actually good or if they got any talent.


lol once again, whatever you think KAT-TUN of no talent? fine, you're entitled to your own OPINIONS

For me, KAT-TUN are a very talented bunch, and I love their songs...to be frank, they're the only JE group I really listen to on a regular basis...although the other JE bands also have nice songs, but they tend to bore me after a while (same goes with DBSK)...while KAT-TUN's songs keeps me interested for much longer, and they sing a broader range of music than the other JE bands, they're more versatile singers than the others...and they also write their own songs to.




I would agree with you that KAT-TUN is very talented, they were the first japanese group I learned about. Though I would have to disagree with them writing their own songs. Actually most of the time they haven't written and composed their own songs. They have been given a lot of songs by other people. I mean don't get me wrong I absolutely love them. And they do sing a wider variety than most other japanese groups. But I would have to say that Dong Bang Shin Ki, has more versatility, in how they sing their songs. They all have wonderful vocals, and Im coming from a background of major music influence so I know a lot of the technical things they can do and how hard they are to do, They can do many more things with the voices, and they sing just as many different songs as KAT-TUN, though KAT-TUN is mostly focused towards a rock theme in most of their songs.DBSK has basically done almost every genre except for country. And in their songs its not just two people getting the spot light most of the time, like with Akanishi, and Kamenashi(Though they are two of the best singers in their group) in DBSK, everyone has amazing vocals, and they all get solos and duets and spot lights on all their voices, not just a select few. And just like in most JE groups, they have their main vocals and then their backup vocal people. But with DBSK, there are no backup vocal people. Yes they do have their main vocalist, but everyone's elses voices are also so important in their songs that how they categorize their vocals are like this:

Hero Jaejoong:main high vocals
Xiah Junsu: main mid high vocals
Changmin: main tenor vocals
Micky: main baritone vocals
U-Know:main bass vocals

They all have their own parts that blend amazingly well.
Though you are perfectly fine if you don't listen to them too.

But though with KAT-TUN, I love them to, they have great vocals also, though they don't do as many technical things with their voices, they still have wonderful voices.
And with comparing both the groups you (everyone) can't really compare them at all, because they do do different music from each other. They each also specialize in different genres of music. So I guess most of what I said up above is kind of pointless, with what I just said, ah oh well. I love both groups, they both have amazing vocals, and great songs with powerful lyrics. thats all I have to say now...done..over..bye


Please don't misunderstand, I NEVER implied that KAT-TUN writes most of their songs, it's true that alot of the times, their songs were written by others...but what I meant was that they still write SOME songs for the group, or for their own solos.

And it's true that Kame & Jin are the main focuses of KAT-TUN, afterall, these 2 actually debuted first when they appeared in 'Gokusen 2' together, so these 2 actually had an early start than the rest of the group...but if you have noticed over the years, especially when Jin went to the states, the other members began to receive more opportunities, and chances to showcase their own talents too...although Kame & Jin still remains the most popular in the group and are still the main vocals...however, the other members are also beginning to shine and their own fanbases are growing to...they all have their own individual projects now, and they all stand on their own platforms...Ueda is very popular now, perhaps the next popular after Kame & Jin, Junno is also receiving quite alot of support...Koki & Maru also have their own loyal fans too...it's true that in the past when the group first debuted, it was all about Kame & Jin...but over these years, it's not just about these 2 anymore, the others have also stepped up to the spotlight, they all have solos, all held their own solo concerts, all have their own performances, all are given individual opportunities to showcase their individual talents, thus they each stand on their own platforms...although yes, when it comes to group songs, Kame & Jin are still the lead vocals, while the others are still backup singers...however, over these past years, the others have been given more chances, and their involvements in the group songs have increased...if you have noticed, the other members are given more lines...unlike in the past when they mainly just sang the choruses in the songs...nowadays, each member has their own lines in the songs, and are participating more in the group projects. Nowadays, the other 4 members of KAT-TUN are given more chances to stand on their own, and they've succeeded, because they each have their own loyal fanbases now.

But like in every music band, there's bound to be certain members who "outshine" the others or are more popular...even in DBSK, although they're very popular as a group, but you can't deny that JaeJoong is still the most popular member...just like in KAT-TUN, it's Kame & Jin...so too goes to the other JE groups; in NEWS the most popular is Yamapi, in SMAP it's Takuya Kimura, in Kanjani8 it's Nishikido Ryo (I think) and so on...and JE aside, there's also Hyde; who is the most popular member of the famous jrock band L'Arc~en~Ciel...then again, he's the vocalist of the group and also has his own solo career, so it's no surprise he's the "pillar" of the band...all in all, I'm sure you understand what point I'm trying to make here.

Back to KAT-TUN...although Kame & Jin still remains the strongest leads in the group, it certainly does NOT deny the individual talents of each of the 6 members...but I'm glad that over these years, the others have been given more chances to shine and showcase their individual talents, and are standing on their own...I actually don't like Jin all that much...my favorites in the group are Kame (of course), Koki & Maru...I also quite like Ueda...Jin & Junno are my least favs in the group...although I do acknowledge both their talents.
As for their genres of music...although yes, alot of their songs are learning more towards rock, however, whenever they release their singles, their A-side singles are normally rock & pop songs, and are usually accompanied with slow ballads as their B-side singles...so they've sang fairly alot of all 3 genres....although they may not have sang as many different genres as DBSK has, but at least compared to the other JE groups, KAT-TUN are one of the few versatile groups in the company who sings a broader range of genres...so I was comparing KAT-TUN to the other JE groups in that sense, not DBSK.

As for DBSK, well, I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with them...although I have listened to some of their songs...but I won't even begin to compare them to KAT-TUN, just like someone else had mentioned before, afterall, they're both very different groups, so it would be bias to compare...and we all have different opinions also.
1594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / here
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
RIGHT!!! and these unexpected rivalries are normal...
PLEASE SUPPORT BOTH GROUPS AND WISH THEM THE BEST ON THEIR ALBUM RELEASE...

A lil' competition won't hurt..XD
194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 2/22/09

mushrie wrote:

Oh, then that's a pretty smart move. So do you know if they plan to sing "Rescue" at the Tokyo Dome?


i think they would as they normally sing all their recent (actually, all) singles when they perform at the Tokyo Dome, and since it's going to be a 7 day concert, with different theme and song line up each day, they would need to exhaust all group and solo songs at the concert. Rescue would definitely be performed.

990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Maybe here ^~
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
why are people even comparing them (DBSK - KAT-TUN)? they are different genres (and while they are on the same chart, they are popular for different reasons) notice how the 3 to have such long consecutive hits at number one are idol groups (johnnys) u just cant compare the popularity of idol groups in japan with non idol groups, its not about singing, its about what's "popular" DBSK was really smart in that they did not market themselves as an idol group in Japan because they would not be nearly as popular as they are now with all of the competition from other idol groups, focusing on singing talent was one of the best moves they could make.
173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/22/09

scrystalz100 wrote:


Maguri wrote:


scrystalz100 wrote:


Yei wrote:

Uhhhh The only reason they got #1 is because of the basic JE formula. Get girls obsessed over their looks and it doesn't matter if the song is actually good or if they got any talent.


lol once again, whatever you think KAT-TUN of no talent? fine, you're entitled to your own OPINIONS

For me, KAT-TUN are a very talented bunch, and I love their songs...to be frank, they're the only JE group I really listen to on a regular basis...although the other JE bands also have nice songs, but they tend to bore me after a while (same goes with DBSK)...while KAT-TUN's songs keeps me interested for much longer, and they sing a broader range of music than the other JE bands, they're more versatile singers than the others...and they also write their own songs to.




I would agree with you that KAT-TUN is very talented, they were the first japanese group I learned about. Though I would have to disagree with them writing their own songs. Actually most of the time they haven't written and composed their own songs. They have been given a lot of songs by other people. I mean don't get me wrong I absolutely love them. And they do sing a wider variety than most other japanese groups. But I would have to say that Dong Bang Shin Ki, has more versatility, in how they sing their songs. They all have wonderful vocals, and Im coming from a background of major music influence so I know a lot of the technical things they can do and how hard they are to do, They can do many more things with the voices, and they sing just as many different songs as KAT-TUN, though KAT-TUN is mostly focused towards a rock theme in most of their songs.DBSK has basically done almost every genre except for country. And in their songs its not just two people getting the spot light most of the time, like with Akanishi, and Kamenashi(Though they are two of the best singers in their group) in DBSK, everyone has amazing vocals, and they all get solos and duets and spot lights on all their voices, not just a select few. And just like in most JE groups, they have their main vocals and then their backup vocal people. But with DBSK, there are no backup vocal people. Yes they do have their main vocalist, but everyone's elses voices are also so important in their songs that how they categorize their vocals are like this:

Hero Jaejoong:main high vocals
Xiah Junsu: main mid high vocals
Changmin: main tenor vocals
Micky: main baritone vocals
U-Know:main bass vocals

They all have their own parts that blend amazingly well.
Though you are perfectly fine if you don't listen to them too.

But though with KAT-TUN, I love them to, they have great vocals also, though they don't do as many technical things with their voices, they still have wonderful voices.
And with comparing both the groups you (everyone) can't really compare them at all, because they do do different music from each other. They each also specialize in different genres of music. So I guess most of what I said up above is kind of pointless, with what I just said, ah oh well. I love both groups, they both have amazing vocals, and great songs with powerful lyrics. thats all I have to say now...done..over..bye


Please don't misunderstand, I NEVER implied that KAT-TUN writes most of their songs, it's true that alot of the times, their songs were written by others...but what I meant was that they still write SOME songs for the group, or for their own solos.

And it's true that Kame & Jin are the main focuses of KAT-TUN, afterall, these 2 actually debuted first when they appeared in 'Gokusen 2' together, so these 2 actually had an early start than the rest of the group...but if you have noticed over the years, especially when Jin went to the states, the other members began to receive more opportunities, and chances to showcase their own talents too...although Kame & Jin still remains the most popular in the group and are still the main vocals...however, the other members are also beginning to shine and their own fanbases are growing to...they all have their own individual projects now, and they all stand on their own platforms...Ueda is very popular now, perhaps the next popular after Kame & Jin, Junno is also receiving quite alot of support...Koki & Maru also have their own loyal fans too...it's true that in the past when the group first debuted, it was all about Kame & Jin...but over these years, it's not just about these 2 anymore, the others have also stepped up to the spotlight, they all have solos, all held their own solo concerts, all have their own performances, all are given individual opportunities to showcase their individual talents, thus they each stand on their own platforms...although yes, when it comes to group songs, Kame & Jin are still the lead vocals, while the others are still backup singers...however, over these past years, the others have been given more chances, and their involvements in the group songs have increased...if you have noticed, the other members are given more lines...unlike in the past when they mainly just sang the choruses in the songs...nowadays, each member has their own lines in the songs, and are participating more in the group projects. Nowadays, the other 4 members of KAT-TUN are given more chances to stand on their own, and they've succeeded, because they each have their own loyal fanbases now.

But like in every music band, there's bound to be certain members who "outshine" the others or are more popular...even in DBSK, although they're very popular as a group, but you can't deny that JaeJoong is still the most popular member...just like in KAT-TUN, it's Kame & Jin...so too goes to the other JE groups; in NEWS the most popular is Yamapi, in SMAP it's Takuya Kimura, in Kanjani8 it's Nishikido Ryo (I think) and so on...and JE aside, there's also Hyde; who is the most popular member of the famous jrock band L'Arc~en~Ciel...then again, he's the vocalist of the group and also has his own solo career, so it's no surprise he's the "pillar" of the band...all in all, I'm sure you understand what point I'm trying to make here.

Back to KAT-TUN...although Kame & Jin still remains the strongest leads in the group, it certainly does NOT deny the individual talents of each of the 6 members...but I'm glad that over these years, the others have been given more chances to shine and showcase their individual talents, and are standing on their own...I actually don't like Jin all that much...my favorites in the group are Kame (of course), Koki & Maru...I also quite like Ueda...Jin & Junno are my least favs in the group...although I do acknowledge both their talents.
As for their genres of music...although yes, alot of their songs are learning more towards rock, however, whenever they release their singles, their A-side singles are normally rock & pop songs, and are usually accompanied with slow ballads as their B-side singles...so they've sang fairly alot of all 3 genres....although they may not have sang as many different genres as DBSK has, but at least compared to the other JE groups, KAT-TUN are one of the few versatile groups in the company who sings a broader range of genres...so I was comparing KAT-TUN to the other JE groups in that sense, not DBSK.

As for DBSK, well, I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with them...although I have listened to some of their songs...but I won't even begin to compare them to KAT-TUN, just like someone else had mentioned before, afterall, they're both very different groups, so it would be bias to compare...and we all have different opinions also.




Ok I have to agree on just about everything you have said, Yeah from what I have heard they have written most of their own solo songs, and they do compose some of their songs, right now my favorite song by them as a group is White X-mas, they do all get showcased, and they all do have amazing vocals.and it is true about JaeJoong, he is one of the most famous of the group, though they all have their own talents that make them just as popular as each other. And I do agree on the Jin thing, he's not my favorite of the group either. I think my first favorite has always been Yuichi, and then kame Koki and Ueda. I agree also on the Junno thing, Though he is talented and handsome(they all are) he is just a little to I guess to weird(I can't think of the right word for him) for me. And yes I would have to say that KAT-TUN is one of the most versitile in the singing among the JE groups. ah though I don't know if you already do listen or not. You should listen to some of the korean artist, not saying DBSK only though. They have some great groups, and though im not actually to fond of them, they have some great women singers too, For some reason the korean women's voices are slightly deeper, and not as nasally sounding.

And yes, it is hard to compare any one group sometimes, especially groups like KAT-TUN and DBSK, because they specialize in different things. And we do all have our own opinions your right.
966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/22/09 , edited 2/22/09
First of all congrats to KAT-TUN. I love those boys and their new songs do sound really awesome. But I will have to say, even though

KAT-TUN may win, er get #1 instead of DBSK, that is based solely on fans, not necessarily on talent and a lot of people don't understand that

a majority of people don't necessarliy like bands because of their talents. its a well-known fact, especially with boy bands that all the hype

that goes on about their looks helps the sales, lets be honest. I'm not saying that does'nt happen with DBSK because it does.


But, if you listen to Bolero, Love in the Ice, Wasurenaide, you cannot deny that DBSK is on another level. I'm not sayng KAT-TUN is not talented, but DBSK kicks KAT-TUN butt when its comes to vocals and dancing. Charts are not important when faced witht the beautiful sound of DBSK accapella
3316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / ~g00d oL' eNgLaNd~
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
OK.. the odds don't look very good for the Dong Bang boys..
I'm still hoping that they'll do well..
Even if they don't beat KAT-TUN..
I mean who cares about 90,000 copies in a week?!?
I still <3 them even if nobody bought their cds!
1594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / here
Offline
Posted 2/22/09

anego08 wrote:

First of all congrats to KAT-TUN. I love those boys and their new songs do sound really awesome. But I will have to say, even though

KAT-TUN may win, er get #1 instead of DBSK, that is based solely on fans, not necessarily on talent and a lot of people don't understand that

a majority of people don't necessarliy like bands because of their talents. its a well-known fact, especially with boy bands that all the hype

that goes on about their looks helps the sales, lets be honest. I'm not saying that does'nt happen with DBSK because it does.


But, if you listen to Bolero, Love in the Ice, Wasurenaide, you cannot deny that DBSK is on another level. I'm not sayng KAT-TUN is not talented, but DBSK kicks KAT-TUN butt when its comes to vocals and dancing. Charts are not important when faced witht the beautiful sound of DBSK accapella


you hit the nail on the head...THATS RIGHT!!! and some support kat-tun and the same goes for DBSK....well talent and what achievement they've attained does count, and another way on how we choose our idols but don't forget the songs...its up to that person if he/she likes it

xD personally i love DBSK but....i love kat-tun's SONGS!!! its just that i'm not going gaga over them
Posted 2/22/09 , edited 2/22/09

anego08 wrote:

First of all congrats to KAT-TUN. I love those boys and their new songs do sound really awesome. But I will have to say, even though

KAT-TUN may win, er get #1 instead of DBSK, that is based solely on fans, not necessarily on talent and a lot of people don't understand that

a majority of people don't necessarliy like bands because of their talents. its a well-known fact, especially with boy bands that all the hype

that goes on about their looks helps the sales, lets be honest. I'm not saying that does'nt happen with DBSK because it does.


But, if you listen to Bolero, Love in the Ice, Wasurenaide, you cannot deny that DBSK is on another level. I'm not sayng KAT-TUN is not talented, but DBSK kicks KAT-TUN butt when its comes to vocals and dancing. Charts are not important when faced witht the beautiful sound of DBSK accapella


that's your opinion

Although yes, hypes & record sales don't necessarily prove talents...but your comments about how "DBSK kicks KAT-TUN butt when it comes to vocals & dancing", that's just your opinion, so please don't see that as a "fact".
Although, I'm not denying it either...afterall, we all have different opinions.
Posted 2/22/09 , edited 2/22/09

Maguri wrote:


scrystalz100 wrote:


Maguri wrote:


scrystalz100 wrote:


Yei wrote:

Uhhhh The only reason they got #1 is because of the basic JE formula. Get girls obsessed over their looks and it doesn't matter if the song is actually good or if they got any talent.


lol once again, whatever you think KAT-TUN of no talent? fine, you're entitled to your own OPINIONS

For me, KAT-TUN are a very talented bunch, and I love their songs...to be frank, they're the only JE group I really listen to on a regular basis...although the other JE bands also have nice songs, but they tend to bore me after a while (same goes with DBSK)...while KAT-TUN's songs keeps me interested for much longer, and they sing a broader range of music than the other JE bands, they're more versatile singers than the others...and they also write their own songs to.




I would agree with you that KAT-TUN is very talented, they were the first japanese group I learned about. Though I would have to disagree with them writing their own songs. Actually most of the time they haven't written and composed their own songs. They have been given a lot of songs by other people. I mean don't get me wrong I absolutely love them. And they do sing a wider variety than most other japanese groups. But I would have to say that Dong Bang Shin Ki, has more versatility, in how they sing their songs. They all have wonderful vocals, and Im coming from a background of major music influence so I know a lot of the technical things they can do and how hard they are to do, They can do many more things with the voices, and they sing just as many different songs as KAT-TUN, though KAT-TUN is mostly focused towards a rock theme in most of their songs.DBSK has basically done almost every genre except for country. And in their songs its not just two people getting the spot light most of the time, like with Akanishi, and Kamenashi(Though they are two of the best singers in their group) in DBSK, everyone has amazing vocals, and they all get solos and duets and spot lights on all their voices, not just a select few. And just like in most JE groups, they have their main vocals and then their backup vocal people. But with DBSK, there are no backup vocal people. Yes they do have their main vocalist, but everyone's elses voices are also so important in their songs that how they categorize their vocals are like this:

Hero Jaejoong:main high vocals
Xiah Junsu: main mid high vocals
Changmin: main tenor vocals
Micky: main baritone vocals
U-Know:main bass vocals

They all have their own parts that blend amazingly well.
Though you are perfectly fine if you don't listen to them too.

But though with KAT-TUN, I love them to, they have great vocals also, though they don't do as many technical things with their voices, they still have wonderful voices.
And with comparing both the groups you (everyone) can't really compare them at all, because they do do different music from each other. They each also specialize in different genres of music. So I guess most of what I said up above is kind of pointless, with what I just said, ah oh well. I love both groups, they both have amazing vocals, and great songs with powerful lyrics. thats all I have to say now...done..over..bye


Please don't misunderstand, I NEVER implied that KAT-TUN writes most of their songs, it's true that alot of the times, their songs were written by others...but what I meant was that they still write SOME songs for the group, or for their own solos.

And it's true that Kame & Jin are the main focuses of KAT-TUN, afterall, these 2 actually debuted first when they appeared in 'Gokusen 2' together, so these 2 actually had an early start than the rest of the group...but if you have noticed over the years, especially when Jin went to the states, the other members began to receive more opportunities, and chances to showcase their own talents too...although Kame & Jin still remains the most popular in the group and are still the main vocals...however, the other members are also beginning to shine and their own fanbases are growing to...they all have their own individual projects now, and they all stand on their own platforms...Ueda is very popular now, perhaps the next popular after Kame & Jin, Junno is also receiving quite alot of support...Koki & Maru also have their own loyal fans too...it's true that in the past when the group first debuted, it was all about Kame & Jin...but over these years, it's not just about these 2 anymore, the others have also stepped up to the spotlight, they all have solos, all held their own solo concerts, all have their own performances, all are given individual opportunities to showcase their individual talents, thus they each stand on their own platforms...although yes, when it comes to group songs, Kame & Jin are still the lead vocals, while the others are still backup singers...however, over these past years, the others have been given more chances, and their involvements in the group songs have increased...if you have noticed, the other members are given more lines...unlike in the past when they mainly just sang the choruses in the songs...nowadays, each member has their own lines in the songs, and are participating more in the group projects. Nowadays, the other 4 members of KAT-TUN are given more chances to stand on their own, and they've succeeded, because they each have their own loyal fanbases now.

But like in every music band, there's bound to be certain members who "outshine" the others or are more popular...even in DBSK, although they're very popular as a group, but you can't deny that JaeJoong is still the most popular member...just like in KAT-TUN, it's Kame & Jin...so too goes to the other JE groups; in NEWS the most popular is Yamapi, in SMAP it's Takuya Kimura, in Kanjani8 it's Nishikido Ryo (I think) and so on...and JE aside, there's also Hyde; who is the most popular member of the famous jrock band L'Arc~en~Ciel...then again, he's the vocalist of the group and also has his own solo career, so it's no surprise he's the "pillar" of the band...all in all, I'm sure you understand what point I'm trying to make here.

Back to KAT-TUN...although Kame & Jin still remains the strongest leads in the group, it certainly does NOT deny the individual talents of each of the 6 members...but I'm glad that over these years, the others have been given more chances to shine and showcase their individual talents, and are standing on their own...I actually don't like Jin all that much...my favorites in the group are Kame (of course), Koki & Maru...I also quite like Ueda...Jin & Junno are my least favs in the group...although I do acknowledge both their talents.
As for their genres of music...although yes, alot of their songs are learning more towards rock, however, whenever they release their singles, their A-side singles are normally rock & pop songs, and are usually accompanied with slow ballads as their B-side singles...so they've sang fairly alot of all 3 genres....although they may not have sang as many different genres as DBSK has, but at least compared to the other JE groups, KAT-TUN are one of the few versatile groups in the company who sings a broader range of genres...so I was comparing KAT-TUN to the other JE groups in that sense, not DBSK.

As for DBSK, well, I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with them...although I have listened to some of their songs...but I won't even begin to compare them to KAT-TUN, just like someone else had mentioned before, afterall, they're both very different groups, so it would be bias to compare...and we all have different opinions also.


Ok I have to agree on just about everything you have said, Yeah from what I have heard they have written most of their own solo songs, and they do compose some of their songs, right now my favorite song by them as a group is White X-mas, they do all get showcased, and they all do have amazing vocals.and it is true about JaeJoong, he is one of the most famous of the group, though they all have their own talents that make them just as popular as each other. And I do agree on the Jin thing, he's not my favorite of the group either. I think my first favorite has always been Yuichi, and then kame Koki and Ueda. I agree also on the Junno thing, Though he is talented and handsome(they all are) he is just a little to I guess to weird(I can't think of the right word for him) for me. And yes I would have to say that KAT-TUN is one of the most versitile in the singing among the JE groups. ah though I don't know if you already do listen or not. You should listen to some of the korean artist, not saying DBSK only though. They have some great groups, and though im not actually to fond of them, they have some great women singers too, For some reason the korean women's voices are slightly deeper, and not as nasally sounding.

And yes, it is hard to compare any one group sometimes, especially groups like KAT-TUN and DBSK, because they specialize in different things. And we do all have our own opinions your right.


KAT-TUN has many wonderful songs, and 'White Xmas' is only 1 of them, it's also 1 of my fav songs of theirs too.
It's true that they do write most of their own solos...all the songs which they have written are very good, such as Kame's 'Kizuna' (which is another 1 of my favs). I definitely think KAT-TUN are a more versatile bunch of singers compared to the majority of other JE groups, not just the JE, but alot of boybands in general (not including DBSK) tend to have very limited range of songs to sing, KAT-TUN's range are broader than many, and they're all talented singers, and each have their own individual qualities too, Kame, Jin & Ueda have all proven their talents as lyricists, and Junno has also tried his skills on lyricism too...there's 1 song he had co-written with Kame, which was a duet of them 2, it was good song too...Koki being the only rapper & rap artist in the group, is fantastic...and for Maru to stand out, he decided to learn beatboxing, and he's 1 of the best beatboxers I've ever heard! He's amazing!
I was never fond of rap or beatboxing in the past, but Koki & Maru really changed it all for me, I love listening to Koki's rap, he's great, he has his own style which I really love, and he's so energetic, he really puts alot of power & passion into his rap. And Maru's beatboxing is just unbelievable!
Some of them are also instrumentally gifted.
So they all have their own distinctive qualities too.

I have actually listened to k-music before...in the past, I was actually very much into korean ent, I listened to alot of korean music, watch alot of kdramas, but it was just a phase for me, and I've long since gotten over that phase...now I'm very much into japanese ent, and mainly listen to jpop & jrock, and watch jdramas.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.