First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Discussion of theories on Evolution
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 7/18/09

What is Evolution?

Evolution Defined and Explained: Evolution can be a difficult concept for people to come to terms with, especially if they do not have much experience with life sciences. Is evolution a fact or a theory? Does evolution explain the origin of life or not? These are important questions which people need to be able to understand and answer. Evolution is not a minor matter - it is, in fact, the cornerstone of all modern biology.


Conclusion:
Simply put, evolution is the result of changes in genetic code. The genes encode the basic characteristics a life form will have, and there is no known mechanism that would prevent small changes (microevolution) from ultimately resulting in macroevolution. While genes can vary significantly between different life forms, the basic mechanisms of operation and change in all genes are the same. If you find a creationist arguing that microevolution can occur but macroevolution cannot, simply ask them what biological or logical barriers prevent the former from becoming the latter — and listen to the silence.






For a good look at the Tree of life.
http://www.dhushara.com/book/evol/trevol.jpg





Ardipithecus ramidus = Australopithecus anamensis = Australopithecus afarensis = Homo habilis = Homo ergaster = Homo heidelbergensis = Homo sapiens.

As you can see Neanderthals split off at Homo Heidelbergenis becoming their own race.




-- Homo habilis (2.6 M BC - 1.9 M BC)
-- Homo erectus (1.9 M BC - 0.4 M BC)
-- Homo heidelbergensis (0.8 M BC - 0.2 M BC)

All species except Homo sapiens (modern humans) are extinct. Homo neanderthalensis, traditionally considered the last surviving relative, died out 24,000 years ago. Fact....!



This is the first Race to have the word Homo infront of the name.. Homo is greek for Human.



For a better understanding of Evolution facts and Theory one should look up the name Stephen Jay Gould who is the leading expert in explaining Science facts and theories.

____________________________________


~post edited by animoo_x

Use this thread for further discussions on different evolution theories, opinions on evolution and against creationism.
Stay on topic please!


5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Did I miss anything?


You forgot to put a one-line summary for all the dummies who'll get tl;dr syndrome. So I'll do it for you...

Basically, evolution explains how life changes over time, not how it originated. It has nothing to do with the big bang or the origins of life or earth, and it does not claim that the human species started when a monkey gave birth to a human one day.

That was 2 lines, so some people still might suffer from tl;dr.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/21/09 , edited 2/21/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Did I miss anything?


You forgot to put a one-line summary for all the dummies who'll get tl;dr syndrome. So I'll do it for you...

Basically, evolution explains how life changes over time, not how it originated. It has nothing to do with the big bang or the origins of life or earth, and it does not claim that the human species started when a monkey gave birth to a human one day.

That was 2 lines, so some people still might suffer from tl;dr.


Thats why I added the Conclusion:
'to the most part I wanted to explain it well enough where one can see the mistakes they may have been making.'

Also to show that Evolution in it self is indeed a fact.
14437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
71
Offline
Posted 2/21/09
So what are the moral, social, and philosophical ramifications of evolution?
Why should anyone but biologists care?
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/22/09

FlavorAmazing wrote:

So what are the moral, social, and philosophical ramifications of evolution?
Why should anyone but biologists care?


That's the point, no one but biologists or people interested in biology should care, just like no one besides physicists should care about the specifics of gravity, or no one besides geologists should care about how old the Earth is. So no one should be making a big fuss about how it "goes against their religion," or that it's "teaching atheism," or that it "can't be true because my grandfather wasn't a monkey." It's just a simple scientific fact that only people who specialize in that field need to worry about.
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
Basically, only Medical Doctors and people on that field should care about your health; so you should not. And people people who want to master in Education should go to school and you should just stay at home and not care about anything you do not want to specialize in. Rather simple; ignorance is truly bliss.
On the lighter side, that essay on the very first post looks rather familiar. Hopefully, I am mistaken.
13258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / O.C. So.Cal
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
ok you answered your own question what more do you want us to do
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/22/09 , edited 2/22/09

jewishplayer wrote:

Basically, only Medical Doctors and people on that field should care about your health; so you should not. And people people who want to master in Education should go to school and you should just stay at home and not care about anything you do not want to specialize in. Rather simple; ignorance is truly bliss.
On the lighter side, that essay on the very first post looks rather familiar. Hopefully, I am mistaken.


Those aren't the same, your health and education affect your quality of your life, so obviously you should care about those. But knowing the intricate details of evolution or carbon dating or whatever will not benefit anyone in any way unless they specialize in those fields. The only thing you need to know about those is the basics so that you don't have misconceptions about them that can have a negative impact on yourself and others, like thinking "teaching evolution=teaching atheism so we shouldn't be teaching it in school."
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
Well, if you actually consider theories in sociology (particularly Comte's and Spencer's), teaching evolution affects life. How? Well, it helps you realize that if you are fit to survive, it actually affects how you act. But, yeah, I get your point. Hopefully you got the sarcasm, too.
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
This makes more sense than the alternate views. Evolving over time vs created as we are, is not a winnable debate.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 2/22/09
Evolution is, in fact, the cornerstone of all modern biology.

Without evolution, most of todays Science and drugs would never have came about.


14437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
71
Offline
Posted 2/23/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


FlavorAmazing wrote:

So what are the moral, social, and philosophical ramifications of evolution?
Why should anyone but biologists care?


That's the point, no one but biologists or people interested in biology should care, just like no one besides physicists should care about the specifics of gravity, or no one besides geologists should care about how old the Earth is. So no one should be making a big fuss about how it "goes against their religion," or that it's "teaching atheism," or that it "can't be true because my grandfather wasn't a monkey." It's just a simple scientific fact that only people who specialize in that field need to worry about.


So are you saying there are no moral, social or philosophical ramifications of evolution? Why does it even need to be articulated then?
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 2/23/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


FlavorAmazing wrote:

So what are the moral, social, and philosophical ramifications of evolution?
Why should anyone but biologists care?


That's the point, no one but biologists or people interested in biology should care, just like no one besides physicists should care about the specifics of gravity, or no one besides geologists should care about how old the Earth is. So no one should be making a big fuss about how it "goes against their religion," or that it's "teaching atheism," or that it "can't be true because my grandfather wasn't a monkey." It's just a simple scientific fact that only people who specialize in that field need to worry about.


Actually there is a reason to fuss. In christianity, humans were created straight from God and there was nothing in the middle. That means according to christians we humans did not evolved from single-celled organisms. That's what the fuss is about, when different beliefs collide with one another.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 2/24/09

crunchypibb wrote:

Actually there is a reason to fuss. In christianity, humans were created straight from God and there was nothing in the middle. That means according to christians we humans did not evolved from single-celled organisms. That's what the fuss is about, when different beliefs collide with one another.


There are many people who believe that God started evolution, and that the 7 "days" were actually billions of years (since we measure time by the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun, and he didn't created the sun until the 4th day, so it's possible that all those "days" were much longer than our 24-hour days). If you believe in God then it makes sense, since we have witnessed evolution many times over on a minor scale, and have even caused several species of animals to evolve through artificial selection (domestic dogs and farm animals). So even though we don't have any solid evidence as to when or where the first cell came from, or what exactly is the missing link between humans and apes, evolution does occur all the time, every day. Denying it is just like denying that the Earth revolves around the sun. If you believe that God made the whole universe, why couldn't he make evolution?



FlavorAmazing wrote:
So are you saying there are no moral, social or philosophical ramifications of evolution? Why does it even need to be articulated then?


Because people misunderstand it and think it is a belief system, when it is actually a scientific fact that we have observed many times over. They think that this "belief" in evolution is a threat to their faith in their religion, when in reality it isn't, and I think that's what the OP was trying to show everyone.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 2/24/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

Actually there is a reason to fuss. In christianity, humans were created straight from God and there was nothing in the middle. That means according to christians we humans did not evolved from single-celled organisms. That's what the fuss is about, when different beliefs collide with one another.


There are many people who believe that God started evolution, and that the 7 "days" were actually billions of years (since we measure time by the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun, and he didn't created the sun until the 4th day, so it's possible that all those "days" were much longer than our 24-hour days). If you believe in God then it makes sense, since we have witnessed evolution many times over on a minor scale, and have even caused several species of animals to evolve through artificial selection (domestic dogs and farm animals). So even though we don't have any solid evidence as to when or where the first cell came from, or what exactly is the missing link between humans and apes, evolution does occur all the time, every day. Denying it is just like denying that the Earth revolves around the sun. If you believe that God made the whole universe, why couldn't he make evolution?



FlavorAmazing wrote:
So are you saying there are no moral, social or philosophical ramifications of evolution? Why does it even need to be articulated then?


Because people misunderstand it and think it is a belief system, when it is actually a scientific fact that we have observed many times over. They think that this "belief" in evolution is a threat to their faith in their religion, when in reality it isn't, and I think that's what the OP was trying to show everyone.


-Well I am speaking on behalf of the general christian population. Of course there were times where christians denied stuff like the earth being round and all simply because it challenged what they knew. I myself do not deny the evidence that lays before us but how it has been interpreted is what makes christians wonder. Of course everything takes time to make and usually it appears instantaneous to us because we did not notice the process in the making. A good reason why christians deny evolution is because believing in it would mean that if a deme of early homids did evolve into the humans of today than that would mean that there was not just two humans that progressed the race but many humans.
-Now for myself, the thing that bewilders me the most is how we humans evolved from the homids and developed the skills to make sophisticated tools and develop a vastly creative mind. This is something anthropologists have not found yet and hopefully in my timeline I'll be able to see the bridge between the gap.
-And that brings me up to another reason why people might skepticize on evolution. We've seen species 1 and linked it with species 2 but where is the process that happened inbetween? Just something I thought up.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.