First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Does .9999...=1?
27021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / On the computer xD
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
no... dont think so ==
995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

skygod333 wrote:

You morons who say no are of course morons. I will prove it.

Let's say .9 repeating is x and I'll will write as just .99R

Start:
.99R = x
9.99R = 10x
9.99R - .99R = 10x - x
9 = 9x
1 = x
x = .99R

THEREFORE, .99R is equal to 1!!!


hmm.. just hear my point of view and let us discuss this peacefully alrite? =D
ok, since 0.99R = x, 10x = 9.99R- (which means slightly lesser than 9.99R mathematically). It goes on indefinitely but mathematically ur definition of 10x is still lesser than 9.99R.

Let's use another similar example, if we plot the graph of y = -e^x + 1, there is a horizontal asymptote at the line y=1. In other words, the graph of y = -e^x + 1 will approach the line y = 1 very closely for x --> infinity, but it will not cut it. Therefore, the graph of y = -e^x + 1 will always be slightly lesser than 1 for large values of x.

Similarly, if we follow your definition for x = .99R and we times 10, we'll get 10x = 9.99R- (but it will always be lesser than 9.99R). Hence, if we follow the eqn thru, (9.99R-) - .99R does not equal to 9, but slightly lesser than 9. Therefore, .99R cannot equate to 1.

That's my opinion. no offence manz
Posted 12/19/07
^This has nothing to do with graphing. Graphing is also a human creation. An older one. Therefore it is fallible. Not to mention, you don't graph it. Look at the countless ways it's been proven. It is fact, not heresy.


enyceaznjo wrote:


skygod333 wrote:


enyceaznjo wrote:

.9999... makes the numbers endless;
it's near 1 but it wont ever be 1


Did you even read my post with the mathematical proof? Anyway, I tried on another repeating number and it only works for this. So don't attempt to argue this could work for any repeating thing.


sorry my brain isn't as developed?
congrats; you know math.


Well, get a brain. If you guys can't agree with me, gets some remedial math because I proved it as simply as possible.
1607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Bubble Teashop ;o
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

skygod333 wrote:


enyceaznjo wrote:


skygod333 wrote:


enyceaznjo wrote:

.9999... makes the numbers endless;
it's near 1 but it wont ever be 1


Did you even read my post with the mathematical proof? Anyway, I tried on another repeating number and it only works for this. So don't attempt to argue this could work for any repeating thing.


sorry my brain isn't as developed?
congrats; you know math.


Well, get a brain. If you guys can't agree with me, gets some remedial math because I proved it as simply as possible.


i didn't say i didn't have one
it just isn't as developed
its not our fault that people can be naive
686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
nope. even if you round it...
Posted 12/19/07
What is the matter with you people? There is so much proof. Why can't you people accept for once in your lives that there are strange things like this, anomalies in the system? .99R is just another way of writing 1. That's all it is. Just like 3/6 = 1/2. Same thing, different writing. .6 = 60%. .75 = 3/4. Another thing, there is no number between .99R and 1. Therefore they are the same. 1 =/= 2 because there are numbers inbetween. They are the same thing, quit thinking like you were taught to think by your first grade teachers.
Posted 12/19/07
didn't mauz say end of thread

and no its not whole baka.

49717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / Unreachable Dream...
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

skygod333 wrote:

What is the matter with you people? There is so much proof. Why can't you people accept for once in your lives that there are strange things like this, anomalies in the system? .99R is just another way of writing 1. That's all it is. Just like 3/6 = 1/2. Same thing, different writing. .6 = 60%. .75 = 3/4. Another thing, there is no number between .99R and 1. Therefore they are the same. 1 =/= 2 because there are numbers inbetween. They are the same thing, quit thinking like you were taught to think by your first grade teachers.


Arent you being senile? Gosh! Your the Pope! Your supposed to be holy! But anyways, about .99 = 1, but isnt your analogy of the .99 to the 3/6 = 1/2 is kinda making it even more vague.... lolz... peace, Im gonna die tomorrow, so bless me father for I have sinned....
8632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Neverland
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
I seriously love this topic.
The sites with the debates were soo uhmm soo kool. =P
I would still steer to the possibiliy that .999.... doesn't equal to 1.
If there is a DEFINITE proof, then I will change my thinking. =]
4355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / =P
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
They're not exactly the same, but I guess when it's rounded off they become the same. Isn't it?
2132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Singapore ~
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
it is 1 . in the substance sence. Lets do some simpler stuff. Example , This is an apple. You - 0.99999999999999999* and it is still 1 item . so it's considered 1 item . BUT in maths , 0.999 is definetly not 1 . BUT in the real world , 0.9999 is still considered an item . SO YES I AGREE 0.99999999 = 1
Posted 12/19/07

mikomiko123 wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

What is the matter with you people? There is so much proof. Why can't you people accept for once in your lives that there are strange things like this, anomalies in the system? .99R is just another way of writing 1. That's all it is. Just like 3/6 = 1/2. Same thing, different writing. .6 = 60%. .75 = 3/4. Another thing, there is no number between .99R and 1. Therefore they are the same. 1 =/= 2 because there are numbers inbetween. They are the same thing, quit thinking like you were taught to think by your first grade teachers.


Arent you being senile? Gosh! Your the Pope! Your supposed to be holy! But anyways, about .99 = 1, but isnt your analogy of the .99 to the 3/6 = 1/2 is kinda making it even more vague.... lolz... peace, Im gonna die tomorrow, so bless me father for I have sinned....


You ain't dying. My point is writing .99R is just another way of saying 1. That's all there is to it.
49717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / Unreachable Dream...
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

skygod333 wrote:


mikomiko123 wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

What is the matter with you people? There is so much proof. Why can't you people accept for once in your lives that there are strange things like this, anomalies in the system? .99R is just another way of writing 1. That's all it is. Just like 3/6 = 1/2. Same thing, different writing. .6 = 60%. .75 = 3/4. Another thing, there is no number between .99R and 1. Therefore they are the same. 1 =/= 2 because there are numbers inbetween. They are the same thing, quit thinking like you were taught to think by your first grade teachers.


Arent you being senile? Gosh! Your the Pope! Your supposed to be holy! But anyways, about .99 = 1, but isnt your analogy of the .99 to the 3/6 = 1/2 is kinda making it even more vague.... lolz... peace, Im gonna die tomorrow, so bless me father for I have sinned....


You ain't dying. My point is writing .99R is just another way of saying 1. That's all there is to it.


Yes, I do get your point, but for some people it might be very vague, I guess... Anyways, yes I am, I just drank 18 pills of medicine trying to overdose myself, Im still shocked cause nothing is happening, I thought aspirin has 100% guarantee of working...
8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
its like the exponential decline graph..the graph can never touch the x axis
Posted 12/19/07

mikomiko123 wrote:


skygod333 wrote:


mikomiko123 wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

What is the matter with you people? There is so much proof. Why can't you people accept for once in your lives that there are strange things like this, anomalies in the system? .99R is just another way of writing 1. That's all it is. Just like 3/6 = 1/2. Same thing, different writing. .6 = 60%. .75 = 3/4. Another thing, there is no number between .99R and 1. Therefore they are the same. 1 =/= 2 because there are numbers inbetween. They are the same thing, quit thinking like you were taught to think by your first grade teachers.


Arent you being senile? Gosh! Your the Pope! Your supposed to be holy! But anyways, about .99 = 1, but isnt your analogy of the .99 to the 3/6 = 1/2 is kinda making it even more vague.... lolz... peace, Im gonna die tomorrow, so bless me father for I have sinned....


You ain't dying. My point is writing .99R is just another way of saying 1. That's all there is to it.


Yes, I do get your point, but for some people it might be very vague, I guess... Anyways, yes I am, I just drank 18 pills of medicine trying to overdose myself, Im still shocked cause nothing is happening, I thought aspirin has 100% guarantee of working...


If you don't go vomit right now, I'll IP trace you, send a report to the FBI, have them track you, get them to get your local police to come and get you. All this in 20 minutes. Go vomit and get medical help. Unless this is a stunt. If you can't understand what I'm saying about this math, you need remedial english as well.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.