First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Does .9999...=1?
Posted 12/19/07

acotis wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

^BTW thank you for agreeing above two users. Looks like a few people have brain cells.

Are you joking? I'm serious if you're attempting suicide.


Did I agree with you? If you continued the equation i posted, it would turn out that:

9X = 8.99R =/= 9
Thus 0.99R =/= 1.

My final statement meant that IF you had stated earlier that you will take 0.000...1 to be negligible then your proof stands. In which case, you could have simply stated:

Take 0.00...1 to be negligeble, therefore 0.00...1 = 0,
thus 0.99R = 1 - 0.00..1
= 1 - 0
= 1




There is not .000...1 inbetween. There is nothing in between because .99R repeats.
625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
its 1 if you round it up.
Posted 12/19/07

ikkakufan2007 wrote:

.999999 would equal one it would be called 1. but it isnt, so end of discussion.
fuck how far indept do you need to go with this, its like asking if someone tells a little lie is it equal to a lie that is big, simple answer yes because a lie is a fucking lie.


Hate to tell you but you're wrong. I proved it mathematically. So have others. It's many simple equations that all lead to the same thing. I put together the simplest one. Read on page two.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
A lot of people can't admit it, bu it IS IN FACT an accepted mathematical fact. There is nothing to argue about because math is never wrong.

Other than the already mentioned proof above, here is another equation.

1/3+1/3+1/3=3/3=1
In decimal form that is
.3333....+.3333.....+.3333....=.9999.......=1

How about

If .99999....does not equal 1
Then there MUST be a number between them at least.
So IF there is a number between them, then there MUST be the midpoint.

So.....
To find the midpoint we will use A+B divided by 2

A=.9999......
B=1

A+B = 1.9999.....

2/1.9999......=.9999.......
wait so
that means that
A+B/2=A or
A+B=2A
or
A+B=A+A
subtract A from both sides and you get
B=A

Trust me when I tell you my math is right. I got a 740 in the math section of my SATs and a 2210 overall. If you don't believe my math is credible then I guess several math professors at several universities are retarded because you are obviously GOD who said this squiggly line does not look like these other squiggly lines so therefore they are not equal.



Edit:
The typical reason why people don't believe it is because most of you think of .99.... as a finite number and therefore somewhere between .9999... and 1 there is 1 x 10 to negative infinite power
As skygod333 said "There is no 1 because 9 goes on forever."
11728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
Well skygod333, hate to tell you your wrong as well, since a calculator can only do so much,

You do get 9, but theoretically speaking, you can never reach the number 1 if you were to have an infinite amount of decimal places.

Why is this so?

Because since the accuracy of numbers that we can actually get to is so limited, lets say we do a calculation and we get an answer of .99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999998
(sorry for the spam)
Okay, a totally impossible number to get to. But you have this odd digit of 8. So what?
You know every other digit is 9 so you can be sure that it's .999 or what ever you want your number to be. as long as it contains .9999 because it's going to be the same thing.
As some other people have said earlier. If to be put into a graph, a 1 and a .99..., they wil never touch, NEVER. It looks like one whole line, but it isn't, they don't touch. End of discussion. No one nor anyone can get it to such an accurate of measurement, not even those tubes you use to measure which are up to +-0.00001 accuracy or more. and since you can't measure an infinite number of 9's you would have this tendency to mess up thus a measuring device would usually have a +-0.1(or more) to almost as little as +-0.00001(or more).

Pretty much you can't get to the number 1 unless you round it which would be much easier since we don't even have anything to count even more than a couple billion decimal places, let alone a mere digits.

Explaining further, let "pi" be this example. Okay everyone knows that it's 3.14, yeah it's rounded and shit. But no one really cares unless your some creepy person who's dream is to memorize the digits of pi which is also impossible. I press "pi" on my calculator and what does it give me? 3.141592654. Yet when you use "pi" in an equation, you don't need no damned 9 decimal places. Hell, 2-4 is fine and it's still accurate.

I'm going to quit ranting on about this because it's getting stupid and I'm soon to go off topic, so yeah, end of discussion.
938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
its not the same
680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / new york
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
theres no answer to that question b/c the number system isnt perfect b/c if u think about it there is an infinite amount of numbers between any amount of numbers witch completely throws of the idea of time and distance and anything else measured in numbers
1734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

skygod333 wrote:

You morons who say no are of course morons. I will prove it.

Let's say .9 repeating is x and I'll will write as just .99R

Start:
.99R = x
9.99R = 10x
9.99R - .99R = 10x - x
9 = 9x
1 = x
x = .99R

THEREFORE, .99R is equal to 1!!!


I think it's more complex than that, however, a simple experiment is to use a calculator, i found that 1/9 = 0.1 recurring, 2/9 = 0.2recurring, 3/9 = 0.3 recurring and the same pattern follows up until 8/9 = 0.8 recurring. However when you punch in 9/9, by the same pattern and logic, it should be 0.9 recurring but the calculaor, and principles of Mathematics, declare that it equals 1. Hence, it is a high possibility that 0.9 recurrng does indeed equal 1.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
@ the traveling sword
The midpoint proof already negates that statement so therefore its false. Like I said before, if there really IS a number between them, then there must be a midpoint.
1914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
if you round it off, the answer is 1.
680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / new york
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
duh.....
680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / new york
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
u guys think to mathematical about it..... its not really a question of mathematics its more of a philosophical question, and i know it can be proven that it does but it cant possibly equal one b/c its not one
359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Gensokyo
Offline
Posted 12/19/07
quote from math teacher: "can't be bothered" lets just make it 1 for the time being, close enough
1734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

st3v3ryb3cky wrote:

u guys think to mathematical about it..... its not really a question of mathematics its more of a philosophical question, and i know it can be proven that it does but it cant possibly equal one b/c its not one


Lmfao. No. Your way wrong. It's got nothing to do with philosophy. Accuracy and precision is part of Mathematics as well as Physics, it could be that 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a micro meter that revolutionises our communication systems to another level.
55072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/07

st3v3ryb3cky wrote:

u guys think to mathematical about it..... its not really a question of mathematics its more of a philosophical question, and i know it can be proven that it does but it cant possibly equal one b/c its not one


There is nothing philosophical about math. It is concrete.
1+1 will always =2 unless there is a way to disprove that.
There isn't so that means its true.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.