First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Are video games childish?
11659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
I'm a lifelong gamer, been playing since grade 2. I will NEVER 'quit'. I also know there are plenty of females who play on consoles nowadays.

However, a few of my boys have girlfriends that accuse them of being addicted, and say that they need to grow up. Is this fair? does playing video games make you childish?

I hope not for my sake, although I haven't played in a few weeks, nor have I bought anything in tha last few months.
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
I think it depends on what you play and for how long you play.

I seldom play games anymore... I've had FFXII and LOTZ:TP sitting on top of my TV forever now, both unbeaten. Granted, I've been busy with school but had I been motivated I could have found the time to play them.

I don't think it's so much that one no longer enjoys playing games as they grow older, it's that they find things they would rather do instead. I'll probably never stop playing games, but I don't think I'll ever play as much as I used to. At this point, I just wait for and play "big" titles, typically of series I've already come to enjoy.

That being said, girls tend to be jealous of video game systems since they dominate so much of their boyfriend's time. I knew a girl who only referred to her boyfriend's PS2 as "the electronic wench." They're probably saying whatever they can to get them to stop playing.
3334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / San Diego
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
^ Yup, depends on the game. I don't really play that much, but whenever my mom catches me playing video games, she always asks me how old I am (saying I'm too old to play). A lot of my friends play games, but mostly sports games, and some play the really addictive games like halo and WoW. I guess for people that don't play video games, they see people playing video games as something only a kid would do.
Posted 5/10/07

azrael910 wrote:

I think it depends on what you play and for how long you play.

I seldom play games anymore... I've had FFXII and LOTZ:TP sitting on top of my TV forever now, both unbeaten. Granted, I've been busy with school but had I been motivated I could have found the time to play them.

I don't think it's so much that one no longer enjoys playing games as they grow older, it's that they find things they would rather do instead. I'll probably never stop playing games, but I don't think I'll ever play as much as I used to. At this point, I just wait for and play "big" titles, typically of series I've already come to enjoy.

That being said, girls tend to be jealous of video game systems since they dominate so much of their boyfriend's time. I knew a girl who only referred to her boyfriend's PS2 as "the electronic wench." They're probably saying whatever they can to get them to stop playing.




yea i completely agree. i used to play games throughout all of my free time but now it is only occasionally. its not that i dont like them, i just do other things now.
and actually, there are only a select few games i am looking forward to in the future.all the others i could care less about. and yea, since i work at a videogame store, you can imagine the kind of impulse buying urges i have. i got tons of unfinished games sitting next to my tv that i have barely even started.
57 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Jamaica
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
Videogames are no more childish than movies. If a grown man watches pokemon does that make him childish? I have friends older than me who still watch Sesame Street (that is how it's spelt right) does that make them childish? Not at all-what you do for fun has no bearing on what is from what is not childish. Have you seen the games lately-they aren't your friendly plumber jumping on turtles I tell you that. Games-videogames, I feel is the next step in entertainment just like movies (personally I feel they have the potential to surpass movies-why sit and twidle your thumb for two hours when you can participate in the action and possibly change the course of the...uh...whatever you're playing?)
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
I'm in a hurry (cuz I'm logging on in the middle of class... ) so I won't give lengthy explanations like others have here... I'll do that later.

No, playing videogames is not childish. And I hate it when people say doing a certain thing is childish... that's being so inconsiderate to children. Heck, adults bicker even worse than children (points at world wars... )
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 5/10/07

enigmatic_sage wrote:

Videogames are no more childish than movies. If a grown man watches pokemon does that make him childish? I have friends older than me who still watch Sesame Street (that is how it's spelt right) does that make them childish? Not at all-what you do for fun has no bearing on what is from what is not childish. Have you seen the games lately-they aren't your friendly plumber jumping on turtles I tell you that. Games-videogames, I feel is the next step in entertainment just like movies (personally I feel they have the potential to surpass movies-why sit and twidle your thumb for two hours when you can participate in the action and possibly change the course of the...uh...whatever you're playing?)


I don't think video games are going to replace movies as the story telling medium of choice. The problem is that most people actually prefer passive entertainment. They just want to sit down, enjoy the show, and be done with it. American Idol is about as in depth as your average consumer wants to get - a phone call at the end of the show.

Even people of our own generation tend to look down on video games. Sure Halo, GTA, and Madden may be all right on occasion, but anything far outside of the mainstream is still frowned on.

I think video games will get increasingly more respect as time goes on, but I don't think they'll replace movies. Now the way we watch movies and television is changing in remarkable ways.
3785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Spencer,Iowa 51301
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
Ive been a gamer since i was in Kindergarten 7 years old and I started playing the old Duke Nukem 2 Shareware. Lol the good old days. I dont think games make you childish its just if your addicted to much it can take away from your life.
6128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Its Not So Windy...
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
My brothers were all gamers and introduced me to gaming. I grew up in the sega genesis era and we played that system until it over heated and broke down. I remember my mom having to buy us about 4 new sega systems. I don’t think it really matters how old you are I think what matters is how long you play. As a child its fine if you want to play video games 24/7 but as you get older you have more responsibilities as an adult and shouldn’t spend it playing games all day. That just seems a little juvenile and reckless to me. That doesn’t mean you should give up playing video games though because I think they’re for every generation.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
Nonsense! No matter what video game you are playing you can still be mature! It also has nothing to do with your sexuality!

*Goes to play Barbie DreamHouse.*
57 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Jamaica
Offline
Posted 5/10/07

azrael910 wrote:


enigmatic_sage wrote:

Videogames are no more childish than movies. If a grown man watches pokemon does that make him childish? I have friends older than me who still watch Sesame Street (that is how it's spelt right) does that make them childish? Not at all-what you do for fun has no bearing on what is from what is not childish. Have you seen the games lately-they aren't your friendly plumber jumping on turtles I tell you that. Games-videogames, I feel is the next step in entertainment just like movies (personally I feel they have the potential to surpass movies-why sit and twidle your thumb for two hours when you can participate in the action and possibly change the course of the...uh...whatever you're playing?)


I don't think video games are going to replace movies as the story telling medium of choice. The problem is that most people actually prefer passive entertainment. They just want to sit down, enjoy the show, and be done with it. American Idol is about as in depth as your average consumer wants to get - a phone call at the end of the show.

Even people of our own generation tend to look down on video games. Sure Halo, GTA, and Madden may be all right on occasion, but anything far outside of the mainstream is still frowned on.

I think video games will get increasingly more respect as time goes on, but I don't think they'll replace movies. Now the way we watch movies and television is changing in remarkable ways.


Never said they will replace movies-perhaps I should have been clearer. I feel that games can immerse you in a world in a way that movies can't-you dare not watch a 50 hour movie, yet that is the roughly average time for an RPG. What makes you able to play that game for sooooo long? Also, you can play a game five times before you get bored after the first time you get bored of the movie-there will be some scenes that you might want to watch again, but for all intent and purposes, you'd move on to another movie. Games have staying power-and that's what I mean by they have the potential to be even greater at entertaining than movies
442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/10/07
I was a gamer, still am kinda.. but since this year i've kinda stopped. When WoW BC came out i played too much.. in the first 10 days i hit level 70, I played 26 hours straight 3 times in 10 days x_x
7147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / 中国
Offline
Posted 5/10/07

SeraphAlford wrote:

Nonsense! No matter what video game you are playing you can still be mature! It also has nothing to do with your sexuality!

*Goes to play Barbie DreamHouse.*


I'm noticing a trend with your posts...

*note to self - don't go to seraph's sleepover party...*
4473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Mexico
Offline
Posted 5/11/07
I dont think it makes you childish. I just think your friends girlfriends are atention whores :D
But i have to say... as i have grown older i have been playing videogames less and less. Of course it just started out as lack of time to play because of school. But recently i have had no need to play.
Usually when i was bored i would just play video games and be there for hours. But now i turn on a console and im there like 20 min and i get bored and i go do something else. I guess some people just grow out of video games.

But its not childish.
507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / up ur ass on the...
Offline
Posted 5/11/07
i like playing games and its what i do to pass time when im bored but its now a job and a pro gamer can get paid loads
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.