First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Tipping in the US
Posted 1/9/12 , edited 1/9/12
In my country, tipping someone is an insult
4872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Stars at Nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/9/12 , edited 1/9/12
@Springs1

You make some excellent points. I never said servers were perfect and we are all human beings and make mistakes. But by your post it seems that you have never waited tables. I could be wrong. You must also consider the type of establishment that you are in and the average age of the staff. If you are paying more for your meal your service should be top notch. If you are at a hamburger joint, you should not have the same expectations as you would a high end restaurant with a massive wine menu. That isn't realistic.
As for me, I do work in a very nice, expensive restaurant with the aforementioned massive wine menu. I strive to make my guests experiences memorable and relaxing as possible. I always write down their order and repeat their order back to them to be sure I have it correct. When I enter it into the computer I check again to be sure that it is correct before I send it to the kitchen. If there are special instructions, they are first entered on the computer and then I personally go and speak with the chef to be sure that the instructions are clear. At my establishment, I don't know if the steak is cooked right until the guest cuts into it. If it isn't right, I take it immediately to the kitchen. And when it is corrected, a manager returns the item to the table and verifies the guests satisfaction. Many of the pics you posted are legitimate cooking issues. However, most times, your server is not the one who puts your plates on a tray, that is the expeditors job on the cook line. He is the one responsible for the items on the tray. And I have never been to a restaurant that is unwilling to correct a mistake with the food.

The one thing you didn't quote from me was that "And so you know, I am aware that there are some crappy servers out there but for every crappy server there are hundreds of crappy guest who clearly don't know how to behave in public."

I will tell you...... I have just come off a brutal holiday season in the restaurant industry. The holidays draw out those that normally don't go to a nice restaurant like mine and they do not know how to behave. By way of example.......... I worked on Christmas Day. (away from my family to make the holiday for others pleasant and hopefully some extra cash for me. That makes it sound like I had a choice in the matter. I didn't. Everyone worked on Christmas Day. If you didn't, you didn't have a job.) My very first table was comprised of 3 women. They had an attitude when they walked in the door. Why?? I do not know but I did my very best to make their meal perfect. It's Christmas Day after all. Everything arrived exactly as they ordered it. They never wanted for anything. At the end of the meal they requested 3 separate checks which is no problem because I had ordered everything correctly according to their seat numbers. The first woman tipped me $1 on $27. The second tipped me $3 of $56 and the third tipped me $4 on $77. I did nothing wrong and they NEVER expressed any displeasure with anything that arrived at their table. Yet throughout the meal they treated me with complete disdain when I had been nothing but friendly and helpful. Some people think that a server is someone you can treat like crap (a stupid slave to be kicked) and it happens more often than you think. I easily lost $750 to $1000 this holiday season because of restaurant patrons who don't know how to behave in an upscale environment and clearly do not know proper tipping etiquette. The people who come into my place of work who have the most money and spend the most money are the easiest people to wait on. They aren't fussy or stuck up. They are relaxed and they make my job a pleasure. It's the ones who think that they have to act stuck up and rude to fit in that make it drudgery.
No matter who you are, server or guest, don't show your ignorance by being rude.

And I go back to my original assertion....... everyone should have to do it for at least a year.

Thanks for your your reply. I do appreciate it and you did make some very valid points. :)

And just a quick note to those who say they don't tip or they tip $1............ Your momma and daddy didn't raise you right.
If you don't have the money to tip...... you don't have the money to go out!!

Health and Happiness. Love to All.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F
Offline
Posted 1/9/12

dvddiva wrote:However, most times, your server is not the one who puts your plates on a tray, that is the expeditors job on the cook line. He is the one responsible for the items on the tray. And I have never been to a restaurant that is unwilling to correct a mistake with the food.


WHOA, it doesn't matter WHO puts the plates on the tray, that was my point here. I don't care if someone else put it on the tray, I am not *BLIND* or *ILLITERATE* that I cannot compare the written order with the food *******BEFORE*********** I decide to leave the kitchen and bring it to the customer's table for those obvious errors I have on the pictures I posted.


But by your post it seems that you have never waited tables. I could be wrong.


You are posting like you aren't thinking with common sense and aren't a customer much. I don't have to do the job to know what I receive if I can tell without touching my food something is wrong.


You must also consider the type of establishment that you are in and the average age of the staff. If you are paying more for your meal your service should be top notch. If you are at a hamburger joint, you should not have the same expectations as you would a high end restaurant with a massive wine menu. That isn't realistic.


Sorry, I 100% DISAGREE, because me and my husband have been to some fine dining restaurants where we have had BAD service. Sometimes honestly, we have even had better service at a very low end restaurant such as Denny's even, it's true.

I find we have better service at restaurants that are NOT fine dining.


At my establishment, I don't know if the steak is cooked right until the guest cuts into it.


I 100% FULLY AGREE with you with this, but that does not mean you put in the order correctly. I assume my server does unless they admit to me they put it in wrong. We have had servers admit to put in orders wrong before on other items that weren't steaks.


I will tell you...... I have just come off a brutal holiday season in the restaurant industry. The holidays draw out those that normally don't go to a nice restaurant like mine and they do not know how to behave. By way of example.......... I worked on Christmas Day. (away from my family to make the holiday for others pleasant and hopefully some extra cash for me) My very first table was comprised of 3 women. They had an attitude when they walked in the door. Why?? I do not know but I did my very best to make their meal perfect. It's Christmas Day after all. Everything arrived exactly as they ordered it. They never wanted for anything. At the end of the meal they requested 3 separate checks which is no problem because I had ordered everything correctly according to their seat numbers. The first woman tipped me $1 on $27. The second tipped me $3 of $56 and the third tipped me $4 on $77. I did nothing wrong and they NEVER expressed any displeasure with anything that arrived at their table. Yet throughout the meal they treated me with complete disdain when I had been nothing but friendly and helpful. Some people think that a server is someone you can treat like crap (a stupid slave to be kicked) and it happens more often than you think.


I feel your pain. It sounds like to me those people were just cheap and mean.

I will say though, sometimes servers don't realize what they do wrong such as once we waited 10 minutes to ask for a check when we saw the waitress bussing several(I MEAN SEVERAL) tables finally we asked for the check, she makes us wait 10 more minutes just to get the check.

Another situation, my husband and I ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks with our meal(it was just the 2 of us). In most restaurants, I know they usually wait to put in entrée orders into the computer after you get your appetizer so they won't run into each other. Well, here's the thing, since we did order it when greeted, there's a decent buffer right there. She came with the drinks right away, so we weren't ready at the time, but a long time pasts like around 8 minutes I would guess, which was well enough time, which we had been ready well before that time. Also, I had seen her putting chairs underneath tables, basically things that could wait while we waited to be able to get her attention so we could order.

When the appetizer arrived from another server, she decided to come to get our entrée orders, so that meant our appetizer we couldn't start eating, because she waited until it arrived. Turns out, I had told her that we had been waiting for her to come back and she claimed that she was waiting for the appetizer to come out first before getting our order. So then instead of being able to eat(the ranch I added was missing from the appetizer which that mistake could have been prevented by our server bringing it out beforehand), we had to give our entrée orders, which mine takes a while longer since I order with many modifications.

My point is, did she not realize that DUH people want to EAT their food when it arrives HOT?

Some servers just have no common sense or consideration for others that they don't act like they are the customer.
4872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Stars at Nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/9/12

Springs1 wrote:


dvddiva wrote:However, most times, your server is not the one who puts your plates on a tray, that is the expeditors job on the cook line. He is the one responsible for the items on the tray. And I have never been to a restaurant that is unwilling to correct a mistake with the food.


WHOA, it doesn't matter WHO puts the plates on the tray, that was my point here. I don't care if someone else put it on the tray, I am not *BLIND* or *ILLITERATE* that I cannot compare the written order with the food *******BEFORE*********** I decide to leave the kitchen and bring it to the customer's table for those obvious errors I have on the pictures I posted.


But by your post it seems that you have never waited tables. I could be wrong.


You are posting like you aren't thinking with common sense and aren't a customer much. I don't have to do the job to know what I receive if I can tell without touching my food something is wrong.


You must also consider the type of establishment that you are in and the average age of the staff. If you are paying more for your meal your service should be top notch. If you are at a hamburger joint, you should not have the same expectations as you would a high end restaurant with a massive wine menu. That isn't realistic.


Sorry, I 100% DISAGREE, because me and my husband have been to some fine dining restaurants where we have had BAD service. Sometimes honestly, we have even had better service at a very low end restaurant such as Denny's even, it's true.

I find we have better service at restaurants that are NOT fine dining.


At my establishment, I don't know if the steak is cooked right until the guest cuts into it.


I 100% FULLY AGREE with you with this, but that does not mean you put in the order correctly. I assume my server does unless they admit to me they put it in wrong. We have had servers admit to put in orders wrong before on other items that weren't steaks.


I will tell you...... I have just come off a brutal holiday season in the restaurant industry. The holidays draw out those that normally don't go to a nice restaurant like mine and they do not know how to behave. By way of example.......... I worked on Christmas Day. (away from my family to make the holiday for others pleasant and hopefully some extra cash for me) My very first table was comprised of 3 women. They had an attitude when they walked in the door. Why?? I do not know but I did my very best to make their meal perfect. It's Christmas Day after all. Everything arrived exactly as they ordered it. They never wanted for anything. At the end of the meal they requested 3 separate checks which is no problem because I had ordered everything correctly according to their seat numbers. The first woman tipped me $1 on $27. The second tipped me $3 of $56 and the third tipped me $4 on $77. I did nothing wrong and they NEVER expressed any displeasure with anything that arrived at their table. Yet throughout the meal they treated me with complete disdain when I had been nothing but friendly and helpful. Some people think that a server is someone you can treat like crap (a stupid slave to be kicked) and it happens more often than you think.


I feel your pain. It sounds like to me those people were just cheap and mean.

I will say though, sometimes servers don't realize what they do wrong such as once we waited 10 minutes to ask for a check when we saw the waitress bussing several(I MEAN SEVERAL) tables finally we asked for the check, she makes us wait 10 more minutes just to get the check.

Another situation, my husband and I ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks with our meal(it was just the 2 of us). In most restaurants, I know they usually wait to put in entrée orders into the computer after you get your appetizer so they won't run into each other. Well, here's the thing, since we did order it when greeted, there's a decent buffer right there. She came with the drinks right away, so we weren't ready at the time, but a long time pasts like around 8 minutes I would guess, which was well enough time, which we had been ready well before that time. Also, I had seen her putting chairs underneath tables, basically things that could wait while we waited to be able to get her attention so we could order.

When the appetizer arrived from another server, she decided to come to get our entrée orders, so that meant our appetizer we couldn't start eating, because she waited until it arrived. Turns out, I had told her that we had been waiting for her to come back and she claimed that she was waiting for the appetizer to come out first before getting our order. So then instead of being able to eat(the ranch I added was missing from the appetizer which that mistake could have been prevented by our server bringing it out beforehand), we had to give our entrée orders, which mine takes a while longer since I order with many modifications.

My point is, did she not realize that DUH people want to EAT their food when it arrives HOT?

Some servers just have no common sense or consideration for others that they don't act like they are the customer.


I am a guest frequently at other restaurants and I do find myself being hyper critical of servers. By the same token, I am also very forgiving. Having been in the industry, I know EXACTLY what is supposed to happen. More so than someone who has never waited tables. The kitchen has "ticket times" that factor in salad preparation, delivery and consumption by the patron before your entrees arrive. Some patrons expect servers to be mind readers and we aren't. I know that I do my best to anticipate a guest needs but if there is something special that I should know (ex. your table is a business meeting and you would like silent service or you have tickets to the opera and you need to be done by a certain time) you have to tell someone!! How could your server possibly know that. At the end of the meal when you are impatiently waiting for the check is the wrong time to tell them that you need to leave. And if you have to leave so quickly, you can ask anyone for your check, not just your server.
As far as seeing your server doing things that you deem unnecessary or that can wait......... how do you know for sure?? For all you know, the manager has told that server that a table of 10 is coming in 15 min and they need to set it up. If your server is running their ass off, exercise a bit of patience. If they are leaning against a wall and chatting with another server blow your top. Observe what is going on around you. Some patrons labor under the delusion that they are the only people in the whole restaurant.
It sounds to me like you have encountered some servers on rotten days. We all have them but you might be a crappy server magnet. It happens to me too sometimes. There is so much more going on that "order my food, get my food, eat my food." Some servers may be so weeded that they can't get out. I know that shouldn't affect your experience but from time to time it does. And for every rotten server experience you have had I can give you 10 rotten patron stories. Why?? Because you interact with one server at a time. I interact with 9-16 people at a time. And that is only one turn of my four table 16 seat station during a 6 to 10 hour shift. All I'm really asking for me and for my fellow servers is a bit of mercy and understanding. If you want perfection you will be disappointed almost every time you walk out the door.

Great chatting with you but ironically......... I'm going out to eat!! Hope your next server experience is delightful.
Health and Happiness. Love to All.


15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F
Offline
Posted 1/9/12

dvddiva wrote:
As far as seeing your server doing things that you deem unnecessary or that can wait......... how do you know for sure?? For all you know, the manager has told that server that a table of 10 is coming in 15 min and they need to set it up. If your server is running their ass off, exercise a bit of patience.


First off, things can wait that can be done later. Secondly, you should be going in the ORDER in which requests came in. Our server should not be waiting for us to receive our appetizer or side salad to take our entrée order so she can push in chairs nor should he or she worry about the party of 10 that is not arrived yet when it's *OUR* turn, not theirs yet since they aren't here yet.

You don't seem to understand what my complaint is, do you? The complaint is that our waitress admitted on PURPOSE that she wanted to wait until our appetizer ARRIVED BEFORE taking our entrée orders. That's a dingbat that would do such a stupid thing. Think about it, our appetizer was in front of us and now we couldn't start eating and had to give our entrée orders, which mine takes a long time, because I have a lot of modifications. A server that is acting like a CUSTOMER to be CONSIDERATE would NEVER wait to "GET" the entrée orders until the appetizer arrived. If anything, if customers wanted a huge amount time more to order(we didn't, but just to say), the server should go to the kitchen staff to tell them don't let another server run the food until I get their entrée orders. NO ONE WANTS TO HAVE FOOD IN FRONT OF THEM AND NOT BE ABLE TO EAT IT NOR DO THEY WANT TO TALK WITH A MOUTH FULL OF FOOD.


If you want perfection you will be disappointed almost every time you walk out the door.


Actually, we have gotten perfect service LOTS and LOTS of times. Sure, most of the time it isn't, but there have been MANY of times when we have had perfect service.


Some patrons expect servers to be mind readers and we aren't.


I agree, but some things as I said in the above situation are COMMON SENSE.

Some servers try to read minds, but do a poor job of it I find a lot of times.


At the end of the meal when you are impatiently waiting for the check is the wrong time to tell them that you need to leave.


I don't know I want to leave until the end. Most people don't know if they are going to get a dessert or not. Not everyone has a pre-planned way. Some people do and for those, they should let their server know they want their check after they receive their entrées or even before that even.


And if you have to leave so quickly, you can ask anyone for your check, not just your server.


They won't get it most likely. We have tried that trick with utensils for example, which the waitress we asked OF COURSE NEVER got it for us. I have asked for a refill from another server that delivered our food which she not only did not get the refill, she NEVER even TOLD our waiter even.

I really don't agree with you on the most part on this, because if it's not their table, they won't get any money from doing the thing I ask, therefore, it's less likely the person I ask that isn't my server will do what I ask.

It's not about leaving so quickly. It's about doing things in the ORDER in which they came in. If you are bussing a table, that's worrying about the people that are coming in *AFTER* we have left. It's OUR TURN, so get our check instead of bussing the table first.


Observe what is going on around you.


I do, that's how I notice the server bussing the table or going out of order.


Some patrons labor under the delusion that they are the only people in the whole restaurant.


Most of the time, I agree that you are not the only party in the restaurant, but we HAVE been a few times though, honestly. It's rare, but we have been at odd times.

I know I am not the only customer, but I don't expect to be last if I ask for something first as far as what is in the server's control, NOBODY DOES!!
4872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Stars at Nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/9/12 , edited 1/9/12

Springs1 wrote:


dvddiva wrote:
As far as seeing your server doing things that you deem unnecessary or that can wait......... how do you know for sure?? For all you know, the manager has told that server that a table of 10 is coming in 15 min and they need to set it up. If your server is running their ass off, exercise a bit of patience.


First off, things can wait that can be done later. Secondly, you should be going in the ORDER in which requests came in. Our server should not be waiting for us to receive our appetizer or side salad to take our entrée order so she can push in chairs nor should he or she worry about the party of 10 that is not arrived yet when it's *OUR* turn, not theirs yet since they aren't here yet.

Ok so let's put this on the other foot. You have called ahead and requested a table of 10 but when you arrive the table isn't ready and you have to wait for 10 or 15 minutes. Now what?? Are you thinking about the other people that are sitting in the restaurant who have already been seated, eaten or waiting on their checks?? No you aren't. You are thinking... "What good did it do me to call ahead if my table wasn't going to be ready anyway." It seems the restaurant is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't plan ahead for guest that are arriving for reservations, the lobby will be full off pissed off people staring at tables that are empty but haven't been bussed. You cannot just take care of what is there, you have to prepare for what is coming next.

As far as your appetizer situation, sure she should have attempted to take your order shortly after the appetizer was sent to the kitchen. Believe me, I understand timing.

You don't seem to understand what my complaint is, do you? The complaint is that our waitress admitted on PURPOSE that she wanted to wait until our appetizer ARRIVED BEFORE taking our entrée orders. That's a dingbat that would do such a stupid thing. Think about it, our appetizer was in front of us and now we couldn't start eating and had to give our entrée orders, which mine takes a long time, because I have a lot of modifications. A server that is acting like a CUSTOMER to be CONSIDERATE would NEVER wait to "GET" the entrée orders until the appetizer arrived. If anything, if customers wanted a huge amount time more to order(we didn't, but just to say), the server should go to the kitchen staff to tell them don't let another server run the food until I get their entrée orders. NO ONE WANTS TO HAVE FOOD IN FRONT OF THEM AND NOT BE ABLE TO EAT IT NOR DO THEY WANT TO TALK WITH A MOUTH FULL OF FOOD.


If you want perfection you will be disappointed almost every time you walk out the door.


Actually, we have gotten perfect service LOTS and LOTS of times. Sure, most of the time it isn't, but there have been MANY of times when we have had perfect service.


Some patrons expect servers to be mind readers and we aren't.


I agree, but some things as I said in the above situation are COMMON SENSE.

Some servers try to read minds, but do a poor job of it I find a lot of times.

My question is..... why would you even allow a server to try to read your mind? You don't strike me as the kind of person who would stay silent. And I mean that in a good way. You have particular tastes and special requests. I can't imagine that you would let a server guess about anything.


At the end of the meal when you are impatiently waiting for the check is the wrong time to tell them that you need to leave.


I don't know I want to leave until the end. Most people don't know if they are going to get a dessert or not. Not everyone has a pre-planned way. Some people do and for those, they should let their server know they want their check after they receive their entrées or even before that even.

if there is something special that I should know (ex. your table is a business meeting and you would like silent service or you have tickets to the opera and you need to be done by a certain time) you have to tell someone!! How could your server possibly know that. At the end of the meal when you are impatiently waiting for the check is the wrong time to tell them that you need to leave

The sentences belong together.
I am well aware that the average patron will let me know when they are ready to go. Usually after desserts and coffee are offered and then declined by the guest. As a habit, I always have my guests checks ready in my apron so that should they ask for it at any time throughout the meal, I have it available. I print one immediately after I send their entree order and after every new item is added to their check. Even after dessert and coffee are declined I ask if there is anything else that I can do for that table. And when I do drop the check I let my guests know that I will process their payment "whenever they are ready. And there is no rush." I also invite them to stay and enjoy the table.

They won't get it most likely. We have tried that trick with utensils for example, which the waitress we asked OF COURSE NEVER got it for us. I have asked for a refill from another server that delivered our food which she not only did not get the refill, she NEVER even TOLD our waiter even.

I really don't agree with you on the most part on this, because if it's not their table, they won't get any money from doing the thing I ask, therefore, it's less likely the person I ask that isn't my server will do what I ask.

Getting money from the table has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of teamwork. Some places have it and some don't.

It's not about leaving so quickly. It's about doing things in the ORDER in which they came in. If you are bussing a table, that's worrying about the people that are coming in *AFTER* we have left. It's OUR TURN, so get our check instead of bussing the table first.



Observe what is going on around you.


I do, that's how I notice the server bussing the table or going out of order.

And in a perfect world you would be right but it isn't a perfect world and things don't always run in the order that you think they should.
Sure, if your server knows that you are waiting on the check and they are still bussing a table and ignoring you, blow your top.
But if you assume they know but haven't said anything to them, it's up to you to let them know you are ready. And if you have to cross a room to get your check, then do it. And after tell a manager.
But honestly, the objective is to turn the table and get you out so that server has a better chance to make more money.



Some patrons labor under the delusion that they are the only people in the whole restaurant.


Most of the time, I agree that you are not the only party in the restaurant, but we HAVE been a few times though, honestly. It's rare, but we have been at odd times.

I know I am not the only customer, but I don't expect to be last if I ask for something first as far as what is in the server's control, NOBODY DOES!!


Here is the bottom line. 15% for standard service. 20% for excellent service.
And if you've never waited tables you only have half the picture. Just because you think you know how it should work doesn't mean that you have all the necessary information. And your expectations compared to what is really going on are often two different things.
(Please note.... the above statement is a general one. It is directed at anyone and everyone and is intended to be taken generally.)

Health and Happiness. Love to All.

Posted 1/9/12 , edited 1/9/12
This reminds me of a funny conversation were my friend was telling a person who didn't tip the pizza boy. He told his friend that the pizza boy WILL spit at your pizza if you have a history of not paying a tip.... If I was a pizza boy I would spit at your pizza regardless of tip or not lol jk
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F
Offline
Posted 1/10/12 , edited 1/10/12

dvddiva wrote:Ok so let's put this on the other foot. You have called ahead and requested a table of 10 but when you arrive the table isn't ready and you have to wait for 10 or 15 minutes. Now what?? Are you thinking about the other people that are sitting in the restaurant who have already been seated, eaten or waiting on their checks?? No you aren't. You are thinking... "What good did it do me to call ahead if my table wasn't going to be ready anyway." It seems the restaurant is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't plan ahead for guest that are arriving for reservations, the lobby will be full off pissed off people staring at tables that are empty but haven't been bussed. You cannot just take care of what is there, you have to prepare for what is coming next.


For one thing, I would consider calling ahead an hour or more ahead of time instead of just let's say 20 minutes before I arrived. You take RESPONSIBILITY for your OWN actions with that sort of thing.

You can also pay to rent a room at some places. We did for our rehearsal dinner at Joe's Crabshack.

The most important issue though is ********THE PEOPLE THAT ARE DINING INSIDE ALREADY ARE FIRST************ since it is ******THEIR****** TURN, NOT **OURS** YET, so if I wanted a party of 10, I should either A. Go when there's no huge crowds during an earlier or very late time(such as 5p.m. or 9p.m. when the crowds either not there yet or died down some) or B. Call WELL in advance, possibly even days before even or even rent a room.

Also, how do *YOU* feel when someone *CUTS* in front of *YOUR TURN*? Do you like it? I bet you sure don't, well don't do it to OTHERS then.

If someone asks for something refills, their check, etc., I don't give a care if you have to set up for a party of 25, you get what was asked for *FIRST* that are IN SERVICE ALREADY whereas the people that called aren't seated yet, so since their service hasn't started, they are LAST to think about. Sorry, but that's only *FAIR* and **MORALLY** RIGHT to do that.

To think of people that are going to be waiting for a table is NOT being considerate of the customers that are there if there are people waiting for things that just asked for stuff.


My question is..... why would you even allow a server to try to read your mind? You don't strike me as the kind of person who would stay silent. And I mean that in a good way. You have particular tastes and special requests. I can't imagine that you would let a server guess about anything.


I am not letting them, they do it all on their own. LOTS of things like bring the check too soon, getting me a refill of the same drink I ordered when I wanted something else, assuming I wanted my appetizer with my meal just because we ordered 2 appetizers and 2 entrées, etc.


Getting money from the table has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of teamwork. Some places have it and some don't.


HOW can you say such a thing? If they made money off of us, they'd have a REAL REASON. Think about it, it's not their money on the line, so why would they have a REAL REASON to *CARE* about us, huh? What are you there for? You are there to make money, RIGHT? You aren't there to volunteer your time at a table to get stiffed, right? Well, by not getting paid for that action of let's say getting a couple of refills for a table that isn't yours, you are essentially getting stiffed for that work. Do you like doing work and not getting paid for it?


But if you assume they know but haven't said anything to them, it's up to you to let them know you are ready. And if you have to cross a room to get your check, then do it. And after tell a manager. But honestly, the objective is to turn the table and get you out so that server has a better chance to make more money.


That's the thing though, I don't agree with you on this one, because your server should be coming to CHECK ON YOU to find out you need your check instead of bussing 5 tables. To me, bussing tables when you see the customers not eating, appear to look finished, that's when you go up to them. By not checking on them, you won't know.

I don't expect them to make *ME* GET UP TO GET THEM TO GET MY CHECK! THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO CHECK ON ME, that's how it WORKS. The customer should NEVER have to get up to ask a server something UNLESS it is the customer's fault such as the customer said they didn't need anything when they did JUST check on the customers which they forgot to ask for something or something came up that now they do want their check for example or a refill or whatever.

Posted 1/10/12 , edited 1/10/12
SMH @ these posters talking about not tipping. A lot of people that you would tip actually rely on tips for most of their wages.
If you can't afford to tip, just say so or give what you can...don't come up with excuses of why they don't deserve a tip. If the service is good, then tip...

A pizza spot close to where I stay upped their delivery fee significantly recently, not because of gas, but because ppl weren't tipping and delivery drivers were constantly quitting. Now I have to pay extra because people refuse to throw someone an extra 5 bucks
4872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Stars at Nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/10/12

Springs1 wrote:

Wow!! What's it like to be Queen??
Posted 1/10/12
Sometimes I try to pay at least $5-$15 dollars, depending on the bill.
8554 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Somewhere,USA
Offline
Posted 1/10/12
My parents NEVER EVER tip. For some reason whenever we go out to eat the waiter always messes up or the kitchen takes too long so my parents get pissed. I on the other always tip,even if the waiter mess's up. I worked in a restaurant for a while and every time i didn't get a tip it hurt a little so i always tip when i go out ,sometimes i use a tipping calculator sometimes i tip according to my mood.
15775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/10/12
Typically in the US you tip 20% of the order. So going by that, you actually tipped him under, but only by $0.30.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F
Offline
Posted 1/11/12

dvddiva wrote:
Wow!! What's it like to be Queen??



WOW, what it's like to be a *LAZY* server that isn't willing to ((DO THE WORK)) for the PAY and is VERY UNCARING!! WORK is WORK, it's not supposed to be fun time. No one said it was going to be fun. People expect *WORK* for their tip.
4872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Stars at Nigh...
Offline
Posted 1/11/12
@Springs1
I suggest you have this conversation with a friend of yours who has waited tables. I can guarantee they will tell you the exact things that I have. And I reiterate, you only have half the story. All of your posts scream MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!! And yes, while you are the guest, it is about you but there is more going on than just YOU and that seems to be what you don't get.
As far as me being "lazy"........... again, you would be wrong. I am one of the very best there is.

Health and Happiness. Love to All.


Annnnnnddddd SCENE!!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.