First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
Ever been to Japan?
40081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Austin
Offline
Posted 10/8/12
Yeaaa, me and my friends made a plan to go after high school back in middle school. But by the time the date we agreed on rolled around none of them did anything to save for it so I almost bailed too and spent my money elsewhere, but my dad said he would go with me so we went together. Although not the original trip i planned with my female friends, it was still an amazing experience. We stayed on a military base in Kanagawa so I also did not get to experience the hotels I would have liked too. We literally just got on a train the first three days and went wherever we felt. Found some great food stands, lots of historical places that were pretty cool, and met other tourists. Although I did make sure to go to Akihabara, and it was beyond description. The people there are really nice from the little bit of Japanese i know so long as the person they are talking to is not some punk. I really enjoyed the respect that all the kids showed their elders. I wouldn't be too worried but I would definitely learn some more Japanese cause although that was most of what i knew as well, i had someone with me who spoke English so i was not at a total loss. Plus sometimes the "sumimasen, wakarimasen" sometimes works, cause when i said it to this girl i met, she started speaking what English she knew . . . it was adorable.

all in all 10/10, i plan on going again after i graduate from UT
651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
I havent been there yet
19956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Oslo
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
Gah! I want to go and study at Waseda University! ヽ(´Д`ヽ
But due to the predicted earthquakes I'm not so sure it's a good idea to go... As much as I love the idea of living and studying in Japan, I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of getting squished under a building for it
29073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Staten Island, NY...
Offline
Posted 10/22/12 , edited 12/8/12

mesomuffin wrote:

Gah! I want to go and study at Waseda University! ヽ(´Д`ヽ
But due to the predicted earthquakes I'm not so sure it's a good idea to go... As much as I love the idea of living and studying in Japan, I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of getting squished under a building for it


Too bad I don't have the language skills. My dream is to teach computer science in Japan for a semester or two. I currently teach at a few colleges here in NYC.

I need to really clamp down and pencil in 30 minutes a day for language studying. Problem is, I work as an Assistant IT Director, and teach CS courses 4 nights a week. By the time Saturday comes, I am too tired to do anything. Although, I do lose one Saturday a month for Board of the Director meetings. (After typing that paragraph, I think I realized my problem with my dating life this year )


Pinkerton21 wrote:

Yeaaa, me and my friends made a plan to go after high school back in middle school. But by the time the date we agreed on rolled around none of them did anything to save for it so I almost bailed too and spent my money elsewhere, but my dad said he would go with me so we went together. Although not the original trip i planned with my female friends, it was still an amazing experience. We stayed on a military base in Kanagawa so I also did not get to experience the hotels I would have liked too. We literally just got on a train the first three days and went wherever we felt. Found some great food stands, lots of historical places that were pretty cool, and met other tourists. Although I did make sure to go to Akihabara, and it was beyond description. The people there are really nice from the little bit of Japanese i know so long as the person they are talking to is not some punk. I really enjoyed the respect that all the kids showed their elders. I wouldn't be too worried but I would definitely learn some more Japanese cause although that was most of what i knew as well, i had someone with me who spoke English so i was not at a total loss. Plus sometimes the "sumimasen, wakarimasen" sometimes works, cause when i said it to this girl i met, she started speaking what English she knew . . . it was adorable.

all in all 10/10, i plan on going again after i graduate from UT


That's awesome that you still got to go.

Some of the hotels were nothing to write home about. Although, with the exception of three nights, I did not stay anywhere fancy or upscale. Most of the rooms were very tiny where my sister and I were tripping over each other at every hotel except for a couple of places. The Prince Hotels had very spacious rooms in both Hakone and Hiroshima.

Just realize that Prince hotels tend to be an hour away from anywhere to eat, and they charge obscene prices at their hotel restaurants. An example of this would be at the Prince Hotel in Hakone. The cheapest item they served in the hotel was 4000+ yen, and that was in the cheapest restaurant they had at that hotel. I think the omurice on their room service menu (one of the cheapest items) was 3000 yen, but the beverages were like 750 yen.

Sounds like such a cool trip you had with your Dad. It's probably better you went with your Dad instead of your friends, because that father-son trip will be a memory you will always cherish.

I am planning on going again soon. My job is driving me insane the last few months with stress, so I will book again soon. I am trying to swing Christmas week, because I have a friend who lives in Kyoto, and another friend of mine will be in Osaka that week visiting family. I will have some people to hang out with there if I go then, so that would make it a lot more fun.
mippa 
36207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Austin, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
I lived in Tokyo from 2005-2008, having moved there immediately after college graduation. I worked for a private international language company based in Shibuya, and it allowed me to make more money and have more freedom with my classes and students. It was a great time and looking back I'm probably tainted by nostalgia goggles, but I really enjoyed my time and would love to go back - but as a tourist, not an employee.

But I say get both experiences if you can! I could expand on just about anything you would like to know, I just need specific questions...
29073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Staten Island, NY...
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

mippa wrote:

I lived in Tokyo from 2005-2008, having moved there immediately after college graduation. I worked for a private international language company based in Shibuya, and it allowed me to make more money and have more freedom with my classes and students. It was a great time and looking back I'm probably tainted by nostalgia goggles, but I really enjoyed my time and would love to go back - but as a tourist, not an employee.

But I say get both experiences if you can! I could expand on just about anything you would like to know, I just need specific questions...



Jealous!!!! That sounds amazing.
mippa 
36207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Austin, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
It was pretty awesome! I got to do a lot of otaku-y things that I normally wouldn't have the opportunity to do because of the connections I made with my students! ♥ I went to several series-only events and cosplayed and even made doujinshi!
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Canada ✈
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
I wish
9282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ♬アメリカ//東京
Offline
Posted 10/30/12
I have :3
January 12' for a couple of weeks.
Just a vaca..more of trip to go to some concerts xD

It was lovely. I enjoyed it a lot actually.
Tokyo is a lovely city and everyone is very nice.
Everything is cute too. xD
I went broke from the shopping and transportation
but would I go again?
Of course! :3

A few people I know cannot stand being in the country .. I don't know why.
I personally thought it was really nice. ><
1809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / In your closet : P
Offline
Posted 10/31/12
No i have not.
Thanks for rubbing it in.... -sniff-
13979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 20.0167° N, 155.6...
Offline
Posted 10/31/12
I go twice a year for Hula......my friends got about 6 different groups spread about...... last time I went I was in Kyoto
426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Oxford, NC
Offline
Posted 11/20/12
Idk. I might visit there but the place i really want to go is South Korea!!!!!
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Asia
Offline
Posted 11/20/12
Twice. And just recently too.
Lived there for a couple of weeks, in Ibaraki-ken.
Love everything about Japan (maybe except for the earthquakes )
Might be going back again next year.
Sailor Candy Moderator
165682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 11/20/12
I've been there but alas I was not able to see the sites... maybe in the future!
1293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Kumamoto, Japan
Offline
Posted 11/21/12
The first time I visited Japan was in 2008 and I stayed for a grand total of 2 weeks. The majority of it was spent in Osaka while one weekend was spent in Tokyo.

Since then I have returned, but not as a tourist. As an employee. I live and work in Kyushu, Japan. The southern most island (not counting Okinawa). I've been here for a year and a half now, and I'll be here for at least another year.

First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.