First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Why Do You Think Asian People Appreciate Korean Culture (dramas/music, etc.) More Than Any Other Asians?
1267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 3/6/09
this sounds like a test question O_o

But I agree with the whole "Korean Wave" thing. Koreans are trying to globalize their culture and diffuse it to the rest of the world. I mean, what did the Europeans do with the colonization of different countries? Didn't SM Entertainment hold an "Asianization" showcase before? That just implies what they're goals are. Koreans are also getting a little more Westernized. They teach English there, don't they? Their music reflects some of the West's influence. They're still able to retain their culture though.So, basically, since other Asian countries are closer to Korea, they were the first ones to "get hit" by the wave. That's why we appreciate them more. Because they're trying to spread not only their culture, but the Asian culture as a whole. But this "wave" will eventually pass.

That's just what I think. If you just plan on bashing what I just said, and not give a sufficient argument, then please don't reply -_-
4163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / School Library
Offline
Posted 3/6/09
Asians do?

I'm Asian but I love (in this particular order):
1. Filipino (because I am)
2. Japanese (because I wanted to be)
3. Taiwanese

hmmm... I personally think the Korean Wave is going away now...
6802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / the netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/6/09 , edited 3/6/09
they have
dbsk
suju
big bang
se7en
bi
ss501
and
shinee
who are not only goolooking but also great preformers
i also like japanese singer's like
kat tun and i think the same of them as the korean celebs
also they have awesome personalities
2669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Right there
Offline
Posted 3/6/09
cuz korean guys are hot XD
no... seriouly.... they ARE!
587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 3/8/09

ringo_seijin wrote:

Hmm, but i think the reason why japanese manage to come up with all those leak prevention methods is because they really put their heart into it, unlike other countries, which only get the singers to keep on emphasizing on the importance of supporting orginality and yet the government and other necessary authorities didnt really give the entertainment circle the support they require?
it's only recently that the japanese(esp the je boys and also the korean boybands) indulge in these marketing strategy to squeeze their fans dry by 'tricking' them to buy like 5 or 6 copies of each single just to get all the different version.
because even though JP is still topping the list of having the lowest piracy, their ease of selling albums has definitely dropped as well. Older groups like Smap, Kinki kids, Speed, Namie Amuro and etc. during those times the 'brilliant' idea of making 4 or 5 versions of a single album still wasnt in use and yet they can still easily sell up to millions of a single album. in just 4 years, Speed actually chalked up >20millions CD sales. For the market now, it's impossible without those unscrupulous marketing tactics.
but who to blame? singers still need to make a living. not just singers, but song writers, music directors and etc.
and yes, the JPY hike is really ridiculous. I wonder what has the jp government done wrong to get that. People now are all shunning japan-made products. even tour packages to jp in my country has kinda nearly totally disappeared.


I agree with you on the most part, but I have to say, where did you get the idea that other governments are not doing their part in preventing piracy? The RIAA has sued 12 year olds living in the projects for downloading music. I know that many college age students (like my friend) have gotten cease and desist emails from, in their case, television stations. So I really don't think non-Japanese governments are not giving any/enough support.

And I know for a fact that artists get more money from concert sales than record sales. The royalties they get for every album sold is a little bit above a dollar: everything else goes to record execs. That's why while I do download most/all of my music, I go to concerts and buy the concert merch because that supports the band more.

The economic bubble burst because, and I'm not QUITE sure this is the case, that other governments pretty much forced Japan to keep the yen from getting any stronger, setting the rate at around, at least for the US, 100-something yen for every dollar. That way, importing wouldn't be so costly. Also, Japan is very restricted in it's imports, so domestic prices are really protected and thus, are much much higher than the world rate. Like, you can't buy non-Japanese rice in Japan. So therefore Japanese rice farmers can charge a higher price for rice because the consumers have no choice but to pay it.

Besides, Sony has really gone downhill in the past few years: their products get worse and worse.
Posted 3/8/09
based on what my friend told me..

asian dramas are now not as famous as it is before <esp. Korean>

in Philippines

American Dramas are now whats IN in philippines..

i was shock when i found it out...

she was doing a project about effects of American Dramas to filipino teenagers

3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Lala Land
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

Lavvy wrote:


ringo_seijin wrote:

Hmm, but i think the reason why japanese manage to come up with all those leak prevention methods is because they really put their heart into it, unlike other countries, which only get the singers to keep on emphasizing on the importance of supporting orginality and yet the government and other necessary authorities didnt really give the entertainment circle the support they require?
it's only recently that the japanese(esp the je boys and also the korean boybands) indulge in these marketing strategy to squeeze their fans dry by 'tricking' them to buy like 5 or 6 copies of each single just to get all the different version.
because even though JP is still topping the list of having the lowest piracy, their ease of selling albums has definitely dropped as well. Older groups like Smap, Kinki kids, Speed, Namie Amuro and etc. during those times the 'brilliant' idea of making 4 or 5 versions of a single album still wasnt in use and yet they can still easily sell up to millions of a single album. in just 4 years, Speed actually chalked up >20millions CD sales. For the market now, it's impossible without those unscrupulous marketing tactics.
but who to blame? singers still need to make a living. not just singers, but song writers, music directors and etc.
and yes, the JPY hike is really ridiculous. I wonder what has the jp government done wrong to get that. People now are all shunning japan-made products. even tour packages to jp in my country has kinda nearly totally disappeared.


I agree with you on the most part, but I have to say, where did you get the idea that other governments are not doing their part in preventing piracy? The RIAA has sued 12 year olds living in the projects for downloading music. I know that many college age students (like my friend) have gotten cease and desist emails from, in their case, television stations. So I really don't think non-Japanese governments are not giving any/enough support.

And I know for a fact that artists get more money from concert sales than record sales. The royalties they get for every album sold is a little bit above a dollar: everything else goes to record execs. That's why while I do download most/all of my music, I go to concerts and buy the concert merch because that supports the band more.

The economic bubble burst because, and I'm not QUITE sure this is the case, that other governments pretty much forced Japan to keep the yen from getting any stronger, setting the rate at around, at least for the US, 100-something yen for every dollar. That way, importing wouldn't be so costly. Also, Japan is very restricted in it's imports, so domestic prices are really protected and thus, are much much higher than the world rate. Like, you can't buy non-Japanese rice in Japan. So therefore Japanese rice farmers can charge a higher price for rice because the consumers have no choice but to pay it.

Besides, Sony has really gone downhill in the past few years: their products get worse and worse.


i'm not saying all other non-japanese govt arent doing their job at all with regards to fighting piracy, and i cant pinpoint out to you exactly which non-japanese governments/authorities are not giving sufficient support to the entertainment industry to fight piracy because it's .... well, i just dont feel right doing that here. but seriously it's a total country's culture thing. many non-japanese simply prefer paying a few dollars less for pirated stuff. some other commentor who also quoted me (not sure if it's you) said it's probably because it's almost impossible to get any pirated stuff in japan, which is mostly true. but i'm also currently living in this particular country, where pirated stuff aren't easily available as well. and yet, people do drive over to another neighbouring country to buy pirated stuff back for personal usage. illegal, definitely. but many of them still do. and many of them still dont get caught, yet.
and yes, concerts are more lucrative for singers as compared to album sales. but have you ever think this way. nobody buys albums, recording staff dont get paid. eventually nobody wanna be recording staff because they get paid in pea-amount for all the shitload of work, nobody will help singers do their albums. no new songs, no concerts, no more entertainment industry.
587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

ringo_seijin wrote:



i'm not saying all other non-japanese govt arent doing their job at all with regards to fighting piracy, and i cant pinpoint out to you exactly which non-japanese governments/authorities are not giving sufficient support to the entertainment industry to fight piracy because it's .... well, i just dont feel right doing that here. but seriously it's a total country's culture thing. many non-japanese simply prefer paying a few dollars less for pirated stuff. some other commentor who also quoted me (not sure if it's you) said it's probably because it's almost impossible to get any pirated stuff in japan, which is mostly true. but i'm also currently living in this particular country, where pirated stuff aren't easily available as well. and yet, people do drive over to another neighbouring country to buy pirated stuff back for personal usage. illegal, definitely. but many of them still do. and many of them still dont get caught, yet.
and yes, concerts are more lucrative for singers as compared to album sales. but have you ever think this way. nobody buys albums, recording staff dont get paid. eventually nobody wanna be recording staff because they get paid in pea-amount for all the shitload of work, nobody will help singers do their albums. no new songs, no concerts, no more entertainment industry.


I think that the "nobody buys albums" is like...worst case scenario. It would take a lot more than lack of album sales to completely destroy the music/entertainment industry. Bands would still create new songs, because you can't stop creativity really. They will still perform and do concerts. And especially in this age where you can basically record an album on your laptop, recording staff is basically becoming obsolete, not that they are unimportant or anything, but most underground bands who can't get a record deal do all their recording themselves. I know that Mindless Self Indulgence records everything themselves and distributes their music without major label support because they were dropped from Elektra (I think it was Elektra) because of creative differences. I know that record companies are important because they do the distribution of albums, the marketing of bands, and all the business parts of the music industry. I'm not saying that piracy is a good thing, but I feel that piracy should not be as demonized as it is. I think that in the case of something like music or movies, the quickest way to become more well known is through mass distribution, which illegal downloading really does help to do. But again, I'm thinking in the artists perspective because without the artist, there would be no songs to record and perform, which would REALLY destroy the entertainment industry.

I agree with the cultural thing. I know that in some cultures, copyright isn't seriously taken into account and so piracy is more rampant in those particular areas. I know that the Japanese are sticklers for rules and so they follow them to a tee. But I think that it's part of human nature/logic/reason to prefer getting something that is almost, if not exactly, the same for a cheaper price.

I have no idea how this thread on Korea has turned into this thing about piracy between us. But it's cool, this is like...the most intelligent conversation I've had on here.

943 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 3/10/09
Because they have hot people
besides korean music is cool, their music suits this generation. ^^
and i like their fashion taste.....a bit iffy on dramas but korean movies are cool, korean movies has good storyline.
variety shows (well so far i've seen) is ACTUALLY funny,

i just guess korean stuff is part of this generation?
3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Lala Land
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

Lavvy wrote:


ringo_seijin wrote:



i'm not saying all other non-japanese govt arent doing their job at all with regards to fighting piracy, and i cant pinpoint out to you exactly which non-japanese governments/authorities are not giving sufficient support to the entertainment industry to fight piracy because it's .... well, i just dont feel right doing that here. but seriously it's a total country's culture thing. many non-japanese simply prefer paying a few dollars less for pirated stuff. some other commentor who also quoted me (not sure if it's you) said it's probably because it's almost impossible to get any pirated stuff in japan, which is mostly true. but i'm also currently living in this particular country, where pirated stuff aren't easily available as well. and yet, people do drive over to another neighbouring country to buy pirated stuff back for personal usage. illegal, definitely. but many of them still do. and many of them still dont get caught, yet.
and yes, concerts are more lucrative for singers as compared to album sales. but have you ever think this way. nobody buys albums, recording staff dont get paid. eventually nobody wanna be recording staff because they get paid in pea-amount for all the shitload of work, nobody will help singers do their albums. no new songs, no concerts, no more entertainment industry.


I think that the "nobody buys albums" is like...worst case scenario. It would take a lot more than lack of album sales to completely destroy the music/entertainment industry. Bands would still create new songs, because you can't stop creativity really. They will still perform and do concerts. And especially in this age where you can basically record an album on your laptop, recording staff is basically becoming obsolete, not that they are unimportant or anything, but most underground bands who can't get a record deal do all their recording themselves. I know that Mindless Self Indulgence records everything themselves and distributes their music without major label support because they were dropped from Elektra (I think it was Elektra) because of creative differences. I know that record companies are important because they do the distribution of albums, the marketing of bands, and all the business parts of the music industry. I'm not saying that piracy is a good thing, but I feel that piracy should not be as demonized as it is. I think that in the case of something like music or movies, the quickest way to become more well known is through mass distribution, which illegal downloading really does help to do. But again, I'm thinking in the artists perspective because without the artist, there would be no songs to record and perform, which would REALLY destroy the entertainment industry.

I agree with the cultural thing. I know that in some cultures, copyright isn't seriously taken into account and so piracy is more rampant in those particular areas. I know that the Japanese are sticklers for rules and so they follow them to a tee. But I think that it's part of human nature/logic/reason to prefer getting something that is almost, if not exactly, the same for a cheaper price.

I have no idea how this thread on Korea has turned into this thing about piracy between us. But it's cool, this is like...the most intelligent conversation I've had on here.



yeah, you're talking about those real multi-talented bands. but i'm also sparing a thought for those not very multi-talented idols, perhaps only armed with looks with/or a decent voice. they cant write their own songs, they can't record their own albums. without recording staff they can do nothing.
haha, well, cause my initial point was korean artistes are getting more recognised not because asians appreciate korean culture more but simply because korean singers themselves cant sell sufficient albums in korea to feed themselves so they have to go on learning mandarn, japanese, english and etc to break into other markets whereas in japan whereby piracy rate is amazingly low, japanese singers need not go through all the trouble because they can sell more and enough albums just in japan itself.
14619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

yedk wrote:

Since the Full House hit the Thai TV, there has been a Korean culture craze in Thailand. I think it's the same in many Asian country, what do you think Koreans have that other Asians don't have?

For me, it's because I like Korean language, and they are very good musicians. They make great dramas with very attrative people in them. That's about it.

How do you think?

They do? I"m part korean and all but I never knew about this xDD
besides my asians friends all my other friends that arent asian know nothing about korean people/entertainment.
In my mind I still thought japan and its anime/manga still rule the world lmao
plus i find there dramas and music pretty crappy. just my preference.
1212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

happipplrock wrote:


yedk wrote:

Since the Full House hit the Thai TV, there has been a Korean culture craze in Thailand. I think it's the same in many Asian country, what do you think Koreans have that other Asians don't have?

For me, it's because I like Korean language, and they are very good musicians. They make great dramas with very attrative people in them. That's about it.

How do you think?

They do? I"m part korean and all but I never knew about this xDD
besides my asians friends all my other friends that arent asian know nothing about korean people/entertainment.
In my mind I still thought japan and its anime/manga still rule the world lmao
plus i find there dramas and music pretty crappy. just my preference.


But in my opinion and most Thai people's opinion, Japanese music and dramas suck. Japanese language is too straight, broken, non-rythmic in songs. Don't get me wrong, I love Japan and it's culture, watched Doraemon since I was 5yr old and now still love it.

Korea is good for music and drama

Japan is good for technology, anime, food/game shows

1212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/10/09

happipplrock wrote:


yedk wrote:

Since the Full House hit the Thai TV, there has been a Korean culture craze in Thailand. I think it's the same in many Asian country, what do you think Koreans have that other Asians don't have?

For me, it's because I like Korean language, and they are very good musicians. They make great dramas with very attrative people in them. That's about it.

How do you think?

They do? I"m part korean and all but I never knew about this xDD
besides my asians friends all my other friends that arent asian know nothing about korean people/entertainment.
In my mind I still thought japan and its anime/manga still rule the world lmao
plus i find there dramas and music pretty crappy. just my preference.


Japanese music sucks so hard, even the Japanese themselves know it. More and more of them are turning to Korean music, or even Thai music although very small percentage, but its happening

14619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 3/11/09

yedk wrote:


happipplrock wrote:


yedk wrote:

Since the Full House hit the Thai TV, there has been a Korean culture craze in Thailand. I think it's the same in many Asian country, what do you think Koreans have that other Asians don't have?

For me, it's because I like Korean language, and they are very good musicians. They make great dramas with very attrative people in them. That's about it.

How do you think?

They do? I"m part korean and all but I never knew about this xDD
besides my asians friends all my other friends that arent asian know nothing about korean people/entertainment.
In my mind I still thought japan and its anime/manga still rule the world lmao
plus i find there dramas and music pretty crappy. just my preference.


Japanese music sucks so hard, even the Japanese themselves know it. More and more of them are turning to Korean music, or even Thai music although very small percentage, but its happening


damn your really catagorizing these two countries pretty well huh? I'm really offended by your comment. Do you live in japan personally? do you know every single person that lives there personally? I'm positive that I dont and I'm sure since japan has alot of pride in its own country that it just wont say there dramas and music suck. Sure korean music/dramas isnt horrible but i wont say its all that. And I love japanese music since i grew up listening and there are songs that suck but there are many artists/songs that are great too. Vice Versa with korea. Therefore it seems as though your saying ALL japanese music sucks in which i disagree too.
587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Here and there......
Offline
Posted 3/11/09

ringo_seijin wrote:


Lavvy wrote:


ringo_seijin wrote:



i'm not saying all other non-japanese govt arent doing their job at all with regards to fighting piracy, and i cant pinpoint out to you exactly which non-japanese governments/authorities are not giving sufficient support to the entertainment industry to fight piracy because it's .... well, i just dont feel right doing that here. but seriously it's a total country's culture thing. many non-japanese simply prefer paying a few dollars less for pirated stuff. some other commentor who also quoted me (not sure if it's you) said it's probably because it's almost impossible to get any pirated stuff in japan, which is mostly true. but i'm also currently living in this particular country, where pirated stuff aren't easily available as well. and yet, people do drive over to another neighbouring country to buy pirated stuff back for personal usage. illegal, definitely. but many of them still do. and many of them still dont get caught, yet.
and yes, concerts are more lucrative for singers as compared to album sales. but have you ever think this way. nobody buys albums, recording staff dont get paid. eventually nobody wanna be recording staff because they get paid in pea-amount for all the shitload of work, nobody will help singers do their albums. no new songs, no concerts, no more entertainment industry.


I think that the "nobody buys albums" is like...worst case scenario. It would take a lot more than lack of album sales to completely destroy the music/entertainment industry. Bands would still create new songs, because you can't stop creativity really. They will still perform and do concerts. And especially in this age where you can basically record an album on your laptop, recording staff is basically becoming obsolete, not that they are unimportant or anything, but most underground bands who can't get a record deal do all their recording themselves. I know that Mindless Self Indulgence records everything themselves and distributes their music without major label support because they were dropped from Elektra (I think it was Elektra) because of creative differences. I know that record companies are important because they do the distribution of albums, the marketing of bands, and all the business parts of the music industry. I'm not saying that piracy is a good thing, but I feel that piracy should not be as demonized as it is. I think that in the case of something like music or movies, the quickest way to become more well known is through mass distribution, which illegal downloading really does help to do. But again, I'm thinking in the artists perspective because without the artist, there would be no songs to record and perform, which would REALLY destroy the entertainment industry.

I agree with the cultural thing. I know that in some cultures, copyright isn't seriously taken into account and so piracy is more rampant in those particular areas. I know that the Japanese are sticklers for rules and so they follow them to a tee. But I think that it's part of human nature/logic/reason to prefer getting something that is almost, if not exactly, the same for a cheaper price.

I have no idea how this thread on Korea has turned into this thing about piracy between us. But it's cool, this is like...the most intelligent conversation I've had on here.



yeah, you're talking about those real multi-talented bands. but i'm also sparing a thought for those not very multi-talented idols, perhaps only armed with looks with/or a decent voice. they cant write their own songs, they can't record their own albums. without recording staff they can do nothing.
haha, well, cause my initial point was korean artistes are getting more recognised not because asians appreciate korean culture more but simply because korean singers themselves cant sell sufficient albums in korea to feed themselves so they have to go on learning mandarn, japanese, english and etc to break into other markets whereas in japan whereby piracy rate is amazingly low, japanese singers need not go through all the trouble because they can sell more and enough albums just in japan itself.


Haha, fair enough. I'm part of the crowd that thinks idols and the whole pop factory thing should just disappear because they're polluting music, but to each his own. That's just my opinion.

I see how this conversation connects now. Cool.

Overall, this thread topic seems pretty inane because it's making vast generalizations. I know a lot of non-Asians who love Korean dramas and music. I personally prefer Japanese music, I don't think it's too straight and non-rhythmicy. I actually feel the opposite. At least in comparison to Chinese music, Japanese music flows a lot better. Additionally, I don't really listen to Korean music because most of it is pop/hip-hop/R&B, which I don't like at all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.