First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
The Incentive of Fansub Community's Collective Mentality
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 3/5/09
There is no Spoon
Posted 3/5/09

AnimeKami wrote:

WAIT HOLD ON PEOPLES

PERHAPS DOM'S ACCOUNT GOT HACKED LMAO XD OTHERWISE HE WOULDN'T BE A DUMBASS?



naw i think thats just wishful thinking
Posted 3/5/09

AnimeKami wrote:

WAIT HOLD ON PEOPLES

PERHAPS DOM'S ACCOUNT GOT HACKED LMAO XD OTHERWISE HE WOULDN'T BE A DUMBASS?

In your dream, maybe.

But AW~~ I didn't know you care, baby!
999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/5/09

DomFortress wrote:


holy_may wrote:
I'm talking of "fun" for its second meaning.

I think this thread is dumb and everyone else seems to agree with it too -_-

You mean to say dumb people can't have fun, well that's not my problem. Because right now I'm having so much fun, and that must means I'm not dumb at all!


it never was about fansubbing was it?
Posted 3/5/09

DeathDragon550 wrote:
it never was about fansubbing was it?

No. I'm just seriously making fun of the fansub community's collective mentality. Care to join?
999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/5/09 , edited 3/5/09

DomFortress wrote:


DeathDragon550 wrote:
it never was about fansubbing was it?

No. I'm just seriously making fun of the fansub community's collective mentality. Care to join?


I could argue I was doing that all along, but you already know that.
Posted 3/5/09

DeathDragon550 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

No. I'm just seriously making fun of the fansub community's collective mentality. Care to join?


I could argue I was doing that all along, but you already know that.
Then you would argue that my initial proposal on the fansub community's collective mentality and their incentive were either spot on or completely off based, thereby making it fun nonetheless?
999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/5/09

DomFortress wrote:


DeathDragon550 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:

No. I'm just seriously making fun of the fansub community's collective mentality. Care to join?


I could argue I was doing that all along, but you already know that.
Then you would argue that my initial proposal on the fansub community's collective mentality and their incentive were either spot on or completely off based, thereby making it fun nonetheless?


A fool fooling himself has fooled nobody but himself.
Posted 3/5/09

DeathDragon550 wrote:


DomFortress wrote:
Then you would argue that my initial proposal on the fansub community's collective mentality and their incentive were either spot on or completely off based, thereby making it fun nonetheless?


A fool fooling himself has fooled nobody but himself.
And thank you for your insightful comment on the fansub community's collective mentality and their incentive. You've been of great help, and I can't agree with you more.
12192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/09 , edited 3/5/09
Err.. well.. i guess i might be the only one supporting Dom.. I'm not against fansubbing, the only reason that i know anime is because of fansubbing. and the only reason much of the international anime community knows anyting about anime is fansubbing. should fansubbing stop? yes, it should. when? when we get offered a commodity which is just as good, and we can get at an affordable price. the steps CR has taken have been good, for instance. Having said that, for now, atleast, we do need to start buying products ( watch as many fansubs as you want, i dont really care), but the anime industry is not too hot right now, until its back on its feet, or atleast figures out what the hell is wrong with its model ( fansubbing is NOT the biggest issue.. what fansubbing does more than anything is make japanese producers see the market in the US larger than it actually is - if fansubs werent there the popularity of anime would remain with its 'niche' crowd who would buy the DVD's etc, and now, even with fansubs, its still that 'niche' market that buys it), and act. Look, even if its just a little bit, if we want anime to survive as we know it ( pumping out shows so that all of us can watch to our hearts delight - yeah i know we all love that) we do need to support them, now atleast, even if we know the fansubs are more convenient - this suggestion is not meant to be in the long run - it is temporary -its upto the anime companies who allowed fansubs to get so big in the first place that will have to take serious steps - charity and morals will only take us so far, as many who oppose fansubs have found out.
Posted 3/5/09

dahoosafeth wrote:

Err.. well.. i guess i might be the only one supporting Dom.. I'm not against fansubbing, the only reason that i know anime is because of fansubbing. and the only reason much of the international anime community knows anyting about anime is fansubbing. should fansubbing stop? yes, it should. when? when we get offered a commodity which is just as good, and we can get at an affordable price. the steps CR has taken have been good, for instance. Having said that, for now, atleast, we do need to start buying products ( watch as many fansubs as you want, i dont really care), but the anime industry is not too hot right now, until its back on its feet, or atleast figures out what the hell is wrong with its model ( fansubbing is NOT the biggest issue.. what fansubbing does more than anything is make japanese producers see the market in the US larger than it actually is - if fansubs werent there the popularity of anime would remain with its 'niche' crowd who would buy the DVD's etc, and now, even with fansubs, its still that 'niche' market that buys it), and act. Look, even if its just a little bit, if we want anime to survive as we know it ( pumping out shows so that all of us can watch to our hearts delight - yeah i know we all love that) we do need to support them, now atleast, even if we know the fansubs are more convenient - this suggestion is not meant to be in the long run - it is temporary -its upto the anime companies who allowed fansubs to get so big in the first place that will have to take serious steps - charity and morals will only take us so far, as many who oppose fansubs have found out.
I understand what you're trying to say here, but the fact is the continue existence of fansubs is killing the incentive of wider legal online release and distribution by the anime industry.
12192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/09 , edited 3/5/09

DomFortress wrote:


dahoosafeth wrote:

Err.. well.. i guess i might be the only one supporting Dom.. I'm not against fansubbing, the only reason that i know anime is because of fansubbing. and the only reason much of the international anime community knows anyting about anime is fansubbing. should fansubbing stop? yes, it should. when? when we get offered a commodity which is just as good, and we can get at an affordable price. the steps CR has taken have been good, for instance. Having said that, for now, atleast, we do need to start buying products ( watch as many fansubs as you want, i dont really care), but the anime industry is not too hot right now, until its back on its feet, or atleast figures out what the hell is wrong with its model ( fansubbing is NOT the biggest issue.. what fansubbing does more than anything is make japanese producers see the market in the US larger than it actually is - if fansubs werent there the popularity of anime would remain with its 'niche' crowd who would buy the DVD's etc, and now, even with fansubs, its still that 'niche' market that buys it), and act. Look, even if its just a little bit, if we want anime to survive as we know it ( pumping out shows so that all of us can watch to our hearts delight - yeah i know we all love that) we do need to support them, now atleast, even if we know the fansubs are more convenient - this suggestion is not meant to be in the long run - it is temporary -its upto the anime companies who allowed fansubs to get so big in the first place that will have to take serious steps - charity and morals will only take us so far, as many who oppose fansubs have found out.
I understand what you're trying to say here, but the fact is the continue existence of fansubs is killing the incentive of wider legal online release and distribution by the anime industry.


right, but legal online releases are very new. the first really public one was crunchyroll, and while the sites total traffic has gone down - it would wouldnt it? crunchyroll offered a GIGANTIC variety of shows before ( dont get me wrong, i fully support this move - its what the future should look like). its unfortunate that this has only been introduced in the face of such economic adversary, otherwise , perhaps 2-3 years ago, we could have had a smooth transition into legal digitized media. but we didnt, to blame fansubbers so completely is wrong - at the end of the day they are the ones responsible for the great increase in anime interest all around the world - you might even consider them necessary in some respects. now its time to move on, fansubbing has grown out of control, and the hostile economic climate doesnt help - so its time to change the structure, this for example, is a start. im no economist, so i cant say whats the correct change, but lets hope they can come up with it,and when they do, give it some time, we, the anime consumers, as a whole will only really listen after we have something that can compare to fansubs available to us - and due to the way things are these ways - im pretty sure its going to be through the internet mainly. what about dvd sales? well obviously theyre going to be crappy now, what else would you expect? fansubbing hurts them AND no one has money.. however, correct me if im wrong ( i sure as hell hope im not) the anime industry was going through its biggest boom in a long long time. they are still making more than 150 billion yen a year - i sure hope thats not a loss, the fact that its contracting does not mean that the industry is going to implode - yet atleast. thats why, instead of bashing fansubbing, which has infact done a lot of good look at this from a different point of view, that now is the time where we have to suck it up, and support the industry we love, if we want it to get back on its feet - after that you absolutely cannot hope to ride on morality - its up to the anime industry to keep us in check.
Posted 3/6/09

dahoosafeth wrote:
right, but legal online releases are very new. the first really public one was crunchyroll, and while the sites total traffic has gone down - it would wouldnt it? crunchyroll offered a GIGANTIC variety of shows before ( dont get me wrong, i fully support this move - its what the future should look like). its unfortunate that this has only been introduced in the face of such economic adversary, otherwise , perhaps 2-3 years ago, we could have had a smooth transition into legal digitized media. but we didnt, to blame fansubbers so completely is wrong - at the end of the day they are the ones responsible for the great increase in anime interest all around the world - you might even consider them necessary in some respects. now its time to move on, fansubbing has grown out of control, and the hostile economic climate doesnt help - so its time to change the structure, this for example, is a start. im no economist, so i cant say whats the correct change, but lets hope they can come up with it,and when they do, give it some time, we, the anime consumers, as a whole will only really listen after we have something that can compare to fansubs available to us - and due to the way things are these ways - im pretty sure its going to be through the internet mainly. what about dvd sales? well obviously theyre going to be crappy now, what else would you expect? fansubbing hurts them AND no one has money.. however, correct me if im wrong ( i sure as hell hope im not) the anime industry was going through its biggest boom in a long long time. they are still making more than 150 billion yen a year - i sure hope thats not a loss, the fact that its contracting does not mean that the industry is going to implode - yet atleast. thats why, instead of bashing fansubbing, which has infact done a lot of good look at this from a different point of view, that now is the time where we have to suck it up, and support the industry we love, if we want it to get back on its feet - after that you absolutely cannot hope to ride on morality - its up to the anime industry to keep us in check.
You'll need to have courage, for what I'm about to reveal to you will shock the very foundations of your view on the Japanese anime industry and its society as a whole.

The Japanese domestic anime audiences had aged beyond believe due to an aging Japanese population. Not only that, the number of Japanese youth TV audiences can no longer provide a good TV viewing rate due to low birthrate, so the TV stations had long since taken out anime TV series off prime times, because Japanese companies no longer interested in sponsoring anime programs that's not generating enough target audiences, to watch programs that were paid to be on Japanese TV networks with Japanese companies advertising venues. Most anime in Japan are now being broadcast on PPV channels, with the anime industry themselves paying for the time slots. In another word, the cause of a dying Japanese anime industry was not due to a failed business model. But Japan as a nation is failing on a social level due to the social breakdowns(http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/japan_retired/27301/1) caused by the darker side of the Japanese society(http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?topic_id=1462&categoryid=8efaece9-9236-b5fb-398190195400eb5b&fuseaction=topics.events_item_topics&event_id=368261). And the 10 years long Japanese economic recession was only an indication of the social breakdown, because normally a recession should only last for 2 years at most.

It was during the 10 years long Japanese economic recession, that's when the 3rd generation of anime otakus/fanatics took over the general direction of anime series from the 1990's to early 2000's, to be more realistic instead of being idealistic, and more comforting instead of inspiring. The story settings had more references based on current events of that time period, and more emphasis was put on characters developments rather than the story plots. This is because during the recession period, a lot of the social issues like elitism and collective mentality(ironically, the Japanese economic boom during the early 50's to late 80's was a direct result of such educational & social structure) weren't addressed during the previous economic boom, had begone to cause social breakdowns within the Japanese society. This discouraged the Japanese youths back then, to a point that made a good number of them antisocial, if not cynical and/or suicidal. So in order to appeal to this generation of Japanese youths, the anime industry was forced to change their orientations.

At the same time, the anime industry was scrambling to reform in order to survive the impending economic recession. The media publishers, toys manufacturers, and the gaming companies were collaborating more and more with each others, while using anime as an medium to advertise their products toward the Japanese youths. OTOH, most of the anime production companies and studios were being bought out by the bigger medias, toys, and games corporations in order to survive. In the end, the anime industry survived the 10 years long recession together with a new breed of anime fanatics, at the cost of their ideals and inspirations. As they entered the early 2000's led by an even more niche but now antisocial 4th generation anime otakus. And the rest, is the reality of now as we know it; a dying industry with a tanked domestic market due to an aging & failing society, not economic recession.

And here's another piece of fact to consider. In the late 90's, legally digitized anime medias were first made available outside of Japan by pioneer VHS-fansubbers turned international anime licensing companies, as R1 anime DVD. However, the rampant fansub release and distribution over the internet killed off the incentive of legally digitized anime medias around mid 2000's, while international anime licensing companies were already sponsoring anime production since early 2000's.

And now, as the world heading towards global recession, no international company is stupid enough to sponsor a dying anime industry with next to nothing market return. And the fear incited elitist attitude & collective mentality of the fansub community, while surprisingly mirroring the aging & failing Japanese society, is dragging down the anime community along with it. Me? I'll just collect only the R1 anime DVD medias that I like, then sit back and watch with the rest of my buddies while poking fun at the fansub community as I please. Because as long as they don't actively fight back the corruption of fansubs themselves, the anime community consisting of the anime industry and their fans, will share the same misplaced fears incited mentality as the fansub community, and they shall share the same fate as the aging & dying Japanese society. And don't even count on the authority to stop the corruption, because as long as the community's collective mentality lacks the courage to face the truth, the authority means nothing. This is also why Japan has such low crime rate despise the social breakdowns, because the collective mentality lacked the courage to report the corruptions.

And with that, I'll make my peace by no longer subjecting myself with the corrupted collective mentality and the perverse incentive of misplaced fears. For I no longer wish to fight a war that's not worth fight for.
Posted 3/7/09

DomFortress wrote:


SamTyler wrote:


DomFortress wrote:


SamTyler wrote:

Hello, Dom.
Hi~~!

You sure are overjoyed there, Dom.
Well thanks to my positive incentive of happiness, you betcha! Positive mentality is all you need to be happy, but you gotta have the right incentive to be happy of.



I disagree.
4552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/09


Blah blah blah suck fanssubber's dick.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.