First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What kind of stone is 'Corn'?
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09
Something that's bothered me for as long as I've been reading Skip Beat! (Which is, admittably, a long, long time.) is the fact that they never once mentioned what type of stone 'Corn' is. I know that there's a certain romance to the fact that Kyouko considers it a magic stone, but the practical side of me wants to know the truth behind 'Corn.' And since I'm the obsessive type who cannot let things be, I decided to do a little research about potential Corn Stones, and put them up here to see what opinions you guys have about the likelihood that they're the real deal.


'Corn' from the anime, for comparison reasons. ^^

Stone 1; Zircon



Please note that this stone is in no way related to Cubic Zirconia, despite the similarities of the names. I don't think that this one's too likely, since it's color is a little lighter then 'Corn' (The one in the picture is one of the darkest Zircon stones I could find), but there's still a possibility which is why I added it to the list.. According to a webside I saw while doing my research, Zircon is used to increase intuition, durability, and steadyness, as well as combating depression and insomnia, so I suppose that in that sense it might be a strong 'Corn' candidate. Interestingly enough, Zircon is a December birthstone, which is the month manga fans know Kyouko was born in.

Stone 2; Iolite



Of all the stones I found, I think this one is second most likely to be 'Corn.' Like 'Corn' Iolite is known for changing color depending on how it is viewed, and it has the same blue-violet hue that 'Corn' is famous for. Iolite is used to increase simplicity, imagery, truth and peace. EDIT! the-nishikaze has informed me that Corn is indeed an Iolite stone. Apparently, the mangaka has already revealed this fact in the side notes, and I was left out of the loop since the fan translations I read don't translate those. Ah, well, at least I was halfway right, even without that information...

Stone 3; Tanzanite



I kind of doubt that 'Corn' Is a Tanzanite- The Tanzanite stone seems a little too violet to me- but nonetheless, I've seen enough blue Tananites in my research to give it the benifit of the doubt. Like Zircon, Tanzanite is a December birthstone. It is used to uplift and open the heart, and also for healing and meditation.

Stone 4; Sapphire



Now I really, REALLY don't think that 'Corn' is a sapphire, since it seems a little unlikely for a ten year old boy to come across a sapphire of 'Corn's' size all that easily, but since sapphires are the most popular blue stones out there, I know someone's gonna complain to me if I don't add it to the list. Sapphires enhance mental clarity and heal the mind. They also expand your mental potential and enhance your ability to distinguish between your mind and yourself as a Soul (Whatever that means... )

Stone 5; Spinel - Cobalt


Mentally, I've rated Spinel as the third most likely 'Corn Stone.' It comes in various colors, with blue being among them as you can see in the picture above. Spinel is used to increase physical vitality, combat depression, balance emotions and open the heart.

Stone 6; Kyanite- Cornflower Blue



Of all the stones, I suspect that Kyanite is the most likely to be 'Corn.' Kyanite, which is also called Disthene, is a stone for reaching your hopes, dreams and desires. It's used to help quiet the mind, and dissolve emotional, mental and spiritual confusion, and it also helps with letting go of anxiety, anger and frustration.

So? Do you think one of these stones is likely to be 'Corn'? Or is there another that you think might stand a better chance? I'd love to hear your opinions! XD

(People who are caught up with the manga can read on past 'spoilers,' but anyone who only watches the anime should probably stop here.)

Member
6718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Down the Rabbit Hole
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09
It's Iolite... Also known as a Water Sapphire. She (Yoshiki Nakamura) stated this in the Collected Manga Vol. 4. The reason she chose the stone was because of its color changing properties.

As for the pink stone, all that is known at this point is that it's not native to Japan and it was expensive. (Chapter 122)

My guess is that it is a pink sapphire. We won't find out until the English translation of the volume comes out and we get a look at the mangaka's notes.
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/11/09

the-nishikaze wrote:

It's Iolite... Also known as a Water Saphire. She (Yoshiki Nakamura) stated this in the Collected Manga Vol. 4. The reason she chose the stone was because of its color changing properties.

As for the pink stone, all that is known at this point is that it's not native to Japan and it was expensive. (Chapter 122)

My guess is that it is a pink saphire. We won't find out until the English translation of the volume comes out and we get a look at the mangaka's notes.


Ah, is that a fact? Thanks for telling me, I never knew... I've only ever read fan translations, and they never translate the author notes. 'is a poor fan that cannot afford manga. T.T'
2180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F
Offline
Posted 3/11/09
For the spoiler, I second your choice. ^_^ Seems very Ren and something that would happen.
Member
6718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Down the Rabbit Hole
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09

WingsofMorphius wrote:


the-nishikaze wrote:

It's Iolite... Also known as a Water Sapphire. She (Yoshiki Nakamura) stated this in the Collected Manga Vol. 4. The reason she chose the stone was because of its color changing properties.

As for the pink stone, all that is known at this point is that it's not native to Japan and it was expensive. (Chapter 122)

My guess is that it is a pink sapphire. We won't find out until the English translation of the volume comes out and we get a look at the mangaka's notes.


Ah, is that a fact? Thanks for telling me, I never knew... I've only ever read fan translations, and they never translate the author notes. 'is a poor fan that cannot afford manga. T.T'


You can find out a lot from the mangaka's notes. They're very interesting. As for the stone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iolite

She says in her notes she also became interested in gemstones because of her research for the manga.
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09

the-nishikaze wrote:


WingsofMorphius wrote:


the-nishikaze wrote:

It's Iolite... Also known as a Water Saphire. She (Yoshiki Nakamura) stated this in the Collected Manga Vol. 4. The reason she chose the stone was because of its color changing properties.

As for the pink stone, all that is known at this point is that it's not native to Japan and it was expensive. (Chapter 122)

My guess is that it is a pink saphire. We won't find out until the English translation of the volume comes out and we get a look at the mangaka's notes.


Ah, is that a fact? Thanks for telling me, I never knew... I've only ever read fan translations, and they never translate the author notes. 'is a poor fan that cannot afford manga. T.T'


You can find out a lot from the mangaka's notes. They're very interesting. As for the stone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iolite

She says in her notes she also became interested in gemstones because of her research for the manga.


I know, I always read the ones in mangas I buy, but unfortunately fan transations never have that luxury. I've been interested in gemstones for a while now, I even took a jewelry class not too long ago, even though my major is Media Arts. By the way, is there any particular reason you think that stone's a pink sapphire? I was just curious since I already explained the reasons that I thought it was a diamond, and I like to know other people's thoughts and theories on subjects like these.
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/11/09

Hitsuji wrote:

For the spoiler, I second your choice. ^_^ Seems very Ren and something that would happen.


I thought so too, especially when I got a look at the price tag on one of those gems. I'd pass out if a guy I wasn't even dating ever tried to spend that much on me, and I could only imagine sweet-and-humble Kyouko's reaction to something like that..
Member
6718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Down the Rabbit Hole
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09
Blue-Purple Tanzanite is the December birthstone not Pink and it isn't the first choice. First choice would be Blue Zircon and Turquoise.

I should know. <--- born in December


WingsofMorphius wrote:
I know, I always read the ones in mangas I buy, but unfortunately fan transations never have that luxury. I've been interested in gemstones for a while now, I even took a jewelry class not too long ago, even though my major is Media Arts. By the way, is there any particular reason you think Princess Rosa's a pink sapphire? I was just curious since I already explained the reasons that I thought it was a diamond, and I like to know other people's thoughts and theories on subjects like these.


Pink Sapphires are expensive but they are also the most likely stone to be found in a Japanese jewelry store. Pink Diamonds are not common and are usually not natural. I'm not sure how much you know about gem stones, but colored Diamonds are altered by super-heating to create the different colors of blue and pink. They are exceptionally rare naturally. (I really can't stress that enough.)

White, Champaign, Yellow and Black are more common.

Pink Sapphire is the most common pink stone used in high-end jewelry today, but it is still expensive, just not over the top expensive. It also isn't a stone you would find in Japan (mined in Japan). It’s a bit more common to find it pink in nature, though pink sapphires are still altered in labs for mass production.
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/11/09

the-nishikaze wrote:

Blue-Purple Tanzanite is the December birthstone not Pink and it isn't the first choice. First choice would be Blue Zircon and Turquoise.

I should know. <--- born in December


WingsofMorphius wrote:
I know, I always read the ones in mangas I buy, but unfortunately fan transations never have that luxury. I've been interested in gemstones for a while now, I even took a jewelry class not too long ago, even though my major is Media Arts. By the way, is there any particular reason you think that gem's a pink sapphire? I was just curious since I already explained the reasons that I thought it was a diamond, and I like to know other people's thoughts and theories on subjects like these.


Pink Sapphires are expensive but they are also the most likely stone to be found in a Japanese jewelry store. Pink Diamonds are not common and are usually not natural. I'm not sure how much you know about gem stones, but colored Diamonds are altered by super-heating to create the different colors of blue and pink. They are exceptionally rare naturally.

White, Champaign, Yellow and Black are more common.

Pink Sapphire is the most common pink stone used in high-end jewelry today, but it is still expensive, just not over the top expensive. It also isn't a stone you would find in Japan (mined in Japan). It’s a bit more common to find it pink in nature, though pink sapphires are still altered in labs for mass production.


Ah, I just read on that site that Tanzanite was a December birthstone, it didn't mention a specific color. I've tried to keep up with the various birthstones in the past, but there are so many for each month that it gets confusing. @.@ The only one I know for my month (June) is pearl.

Also, I did already know that pink diamonds rarely occur in nature, that rarity was actually part of the reason that I suspect it because it seems very like Ren to buy something so precious for Kyouko without letting her know just how expensive it was.
Member
6718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Down the Rabbit Hole
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09

WingsofMorphius wrote:

Ah, I just read on that site that Tanzanite was a December birthstone, it didn't mention a specific color. I've tried to keep up with the various birthstones in the past, but there are so many for each month that it gets confusing. @.@ The only one I know for my month (June) is pearl.

Also, I did already know that pink diamonds rarely occur in nature, that rarity was actually part of the reason that I suspect it because it seems very like Ren to buy something so precious for Kyouko without letting her know just how expensive it was.


But a Diamond would be extremely over the top as a Christmas gift for someone, even someone you love. I completely disagree with your logic on that I'm sorry. We are talking about 2,000 - 5,000 US dollars for a diamond that size even loose, and it would be more expensive in Japan (in dollars not just in yen). I don't think Ren would go that far. Especially since the stone is about (at least) a carot in size, near as I can tell.

See here: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/pink_diamonds

That is unless it was altered in a lab, then the price would drop considerably, but it still would be expensive.

As I said, a sapphire's more likely. Still a popular, valuable stone and more likely to be found in a Japanese jewelry store.

I suppose now would be a good time to say, I used to work in a jewelry store for several years. I sold jewelry worth thousands of dollars and have seen the LeVian collection in my store several times. (They were the ones that decided Tanzanite should be December's B-Stone BTW, I was still working there when the made the announcement about 5 years ago.) and they featured jewelry with blue, white, yellow, brown, champaign, grey and black diamonds, but I have never seen a pink.

Edit: I did a search for an example and found this:

1.06 CT Fine Pink Sapphire (Thermally Treated - which drops the price) for $550 USD direct from the cutter that appraises for 1,650 USD.



As an aside... I haven't thought about this all in years. I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Did you know Diamonds come from Carbon? They can come from once living matter. There is even a company that will take the ashes of a loved one and create a diamond from them in a laboratory. So that diamond ring on your finger could be the remains of a long dead dinosaur.
2180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/11/09

the-nishikaze wrote:

Blue-Purple Tanzanite is the December birthstone not Pink and it isn't the first choice. First choice would be Blue Zircon and Turquoise.

I should know. <--- born in December


WingsofMorphius wrote:
I know, I always read the ones in mangas I buy, but unfortunately fan transations never have that luxury. I've been interested in gemstones for a while now, I even took a jewelry class not too long ago, even though my major is Media Arts. By the way, is there any particular reason you think Princess Rosa's a pink sapphire? I was just curious since I already explained the reasons that I thought it was a diamond, and I like to know other people's thoughts and theories on subjects like these.


Pink Sapphires are expensive but they are also the most likely stone to be found in a Japanese jewelry store. Pink Diamonds are not common and are usually not natural. I'm not sure how much you know about gem stones, but colored Diamonds are altered by super-heating to create the different colors of blue and pink. They are exceptionally rare naturally. (I really can't stress that enough.)

White, Champaign, Yellow and Black are more common.

Pink Sapphire is the most common pink stone used in high-end jewelry today, but it is still expensive, just not over the top expensive. It also isn't a stone you would find in Japan (mined in Japan). It’s a bit more common to find it pink in nature, though pink sapphires are still altered in labs for mass production.

They said Ren didn't buy it in Japan, so your line of thinking is off on that. He had it imported from the US... or so the indication goes. i.e. He went out of his way to get it.

The Hope Diamond is Blue, and the largest blue diamond in the world. They may be rare, but it's not like it is impossible to get one.

An artificially made Diamond is not called a Diamond, but a Cubic Zirconia, so don't confuse those two terms. Diamond is supposed to be "natural" and is actually the most common gemstone on Earth, but due to the Diamond trade they've limited the amount of exported Diamonds. Cubic Zirconia are notoriously cheap and can be made from any sort of carbon. Carbon doesn't necessarily come from animal life, it can also come from plant life. For example, most charcoal is made from slowly cooked tree limbs, the really good stuff is charred just right and made of the right kind of wood. Charcoal is mostly,l if not all carbon.

To think that it comes from a dinosaur is kind of a bad understanding of archaeology. The majority of the diamonds did not come from dinosaur bones (Bones are mostly calcium and other deposits, so it's really a bad analogy and the majority of flesh like that is usually consumed by other animals or bacteria if exposed to the elements...). O.o;; The majority are more likely to come from plant life, which is most likely why the largest diamond mines are in areas that had forests. Africa, if you know a little about it has had a lot of forestization and deforestization due to dramatic climate fluctuation. The likelihood then becomes that those diamonds are more likely from plant matter than animal matter, which is more prevalent on this planet anyhow.

Diamonds, unlike what Debeers wants to say, isn't *that* rare. It's just they have been highly regulated. So I wouldn't put past Ren to go to the US and approve a pink Diamond to be imported. If the manga really insists that Ren is as well off as he is--i.e. His own *large* apartment the size of a condo not provided for him by the company, large amounts of success that he's considered number 1... he could probably afford a pink diamond of that size, if he so desires. He owns a car, which isn't a small luxury in Japan, and a nice one to boot.... so clearly he's getting the dough from somewhere... and since he's cut himself off from his parents... ya know, I wouldn't put it past him.

Yashiro-san said that it was "quite expensive" and the spectators (the LME President) also commented that he most likely went outside of Japan to find it by the look of it. So doesn't that shoot down the Pink Sapphire theory? Plus it's a manga, so money realism isn't that high on priority lists.
Member
6718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Down the Rabbit Hole
Offline
Posted 3/11/09 , edited 3/12/09

Hitsuji wrote:
They said Ren didn't buy it in Japan, so your line of thinking is off on that. He had it imported from the US... or so the indication goes. i.e. He went out of his way to get it.

The Hope Diamond is Blue, and the largest blue diamond in the world. They may be rare, but it's not like it is impossible to get one.

An artificially made Diamond is not called a Diamond, but a Cubic Zirconia, so don't confuse those two terms. Diamond is supposed to be "natural" and is actually the most common gemstone on Earth, but due to the Diamond trade they've limited the amount of exported Diamonds. Cubic Zirconia are notoriously cheap and can be made from any sort of carbon. Carbon doesn't necessarily come from animal life, it can also come from plant life. For example, most charcoal is made from slowly cooked tree limbs, the really good stuff is charred just right and made of the right kind of wood. Charcoal is mostly,l if not all carbon.

To think that it comes from a dinosaur is kind of a bad understanding of archaeology. The majority of the diamonds did not come from dinosaur bones (Bones are mostly calcium and other deposits, so it's really a bad analogy and the majority of flesh like that is usually consumed by other animals or bacteria if exposed to the elements...). O.o;; The majority are more likely to come from plant life, which is most likely why the largest diamond mines are in areas that had forests. Africa, if you know a little about it has had a lot of forestization and deforestization due to dramatic climate fluctuation. The likelihood then becomes that those diamonds are more likely from plant matter than animal matter, which is more prevalent on this planet anyhow.

Diamonds, unlike what Debeers wants to say, isn't *that* rare. It's just they have been highly regulated. So I wouldn't put past Ren to go to the US and approve a pink Diamond to be imported. If the manga really insists that Ren is as well off as he is--i.e. His own *large* apartment the size of a condo not provided for him by the company, large amounts of success that he's considered number 1... he could probably afford a pink diamond of that size, if he so desires. He owns a car, which isn't a small luxury in Japan, and a nice one to boot.... so clearly he's getting the dough from somewhere... and since he's cut himself off from his parents... ya know, I wouldn't put it past him.

Yashiro-san said that it was "quite expensive" and the spectators (the LME President) also commented that he most likely went outside of Japan to find it by the look of it. So doesn't that shoot down the Pink Sapphire theory? Plus it's a manga, so money realism isn't that high on priority lists.


All the comic said was that it was 'foreign' not that he bought it outside of Japan. And since the comic never shows him leaving Japan with his tight schedule...

Cubic Zirconia is nothing like a diamond. Chemically a diamond is pure carbon heated to produce a clear stone. You can manufacture Diamonds. Cubic Zirconia is zirconium dioxide. The chemistry of the stone is what makes it what it is. In fact all gemstones (non-organic like diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires) can be produced in a lab.

I didn't say all diamonds come from dinosaur bones... I said it could be. Carbon is the second most abundant element in all life. Living matter, after decomposition breaks down to its basic elements eventually. Under heat and pressure carbon becomes a diamond. Plant matter or animal matter is irrelevant, in the end carbon is carbon. As for manufacturing said diamonds...

Proof: http://www.lifegem.com/ Kinda creepy all things being equal.

White diamonds aren't rare, Fancy diamonds are. Pink, blue and other colors (called 'Fancy' as a group) are hard to come by in nature, and harder to find a stone gemstone worthy. The Hope Diamond is rare and priceless because they (blue diamonds) are so incredibly hard to find. What makes a fancy diamond different then a white? Trace elements in the molecular structure.

See here: http://gilletts.com.au/information.php?info_id=8

And no, it doesn't 'shoot-down' my theory. Sapphires aren't mined in Japan, they are just a bit more common, still very expensive but much more realistic.

But as it is, this is all opinion and until the English book is released we won't know what it is exactly. For all this it could just be a Rose Quartz.

As an aside... Other possibilities are Pink Tourmaline, and Pink Topaz.
Member
186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Greece
Offline
Posted 3/12/09 , edited 3/12/09
btw...i was wondering something....in the manga did Kyoko really understood that Rens gift was the stone inside the rose and not the legend story?? cause after she was keep telling that the miracle happend to her.well.....i was wondering....
she understood it right???Rens gift^^
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/12/09

DarkFrinda wrote:

btw...i was wondering something....in the manga did Kyoko really understood that Rens gift was the stone inside the rose and not the legend story?? cause after she was keep telling that the miracle happend to her.well.....i was wondering....
she understood it right???Rens gift^^


Nah, her fairytale lodgic and naivity have her thinking that the legend is real, and she lucked out. I doubt Ren will ever correct her, given how embarrassed she'll be when she finds out that he tricked her like that.
Member
6407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / A nice white room...
Offline
Posted 3/12/09

the-nishikaze wrote:


WingsofMorphius wrote:

Ah, I just read on that site that Tanzanite was a December birthstone, it didn't mention a specific color. I've tried to keep up with the various birthstones in the past, but there are so many for each month that it gets confusing. @.@ The only one I know for my month (June) is pearl.

Also, I did already know that pink diamonds rarely occur in nature, that rarity was actually part of the reason that I suspect it because it seems very like Ren to buy something so precious for Kyouko without letting her know just how expensive it was.


But a Diamond would be extremely over the top as a Christmas gift for someone, even someone you love. I completely disagree with your logic on that I'm sorry. We are talking about 2,000 - 5,000 US dollars for a diamond that size even loose, and it would be more expensive in Japan (in dollars not just in yen). I don't think Ren would go that far. Especially since the stone is about (at least) a carot in size, near as I can tell.

See here: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/pink_diamonds

That is unless it was altered in a lab, then the price would drop considerably, but it still would be expensive.

As I said, a sapphire's more likely. Still a popular, valuable stone and more likely to be found in a Japanese jewelry store.

I suppose now would be a good time to say, I used to work in a jewelry store for several years. I sold jewelry worth thousands of dollars and have seen the LeVian collection in my store several times. (They were the ones that decided Tanzanite should be December's B-Stone BTW, I was still working there when the made the announcement about 5 years ago.) and they featured jewelry with blue, white, yellow, brown, champaign, grey and black diamonds, but I have never seen a pink.

Edit: I did a search for an example and found this:

1.06 CT Fine Pink Sapphire (Thermally Treated - which drops the price) for $550 USD direct from the cutter that appraises for 1,650 USD.



As an aside... I haven't thought about this all in years. I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Did you know Diamonds come from Carbon? They can come from once living matter. There is even a company that will take the ashes of a loved one and create a diamond from them in a laboratory. So that diamond ring on your finger could be the remains of a long dead dinosaur.


Yeah, but from what we've seen in the manga and anime, Ren isn't exactly shy about spending money. I mean, he's got a foreign sports car that's driver-side left instead of Japan's usual driver-side right, he's got a huge apartment with his own gym, a bed the size of a swimming pool I once owned, and a wardrobe of top-of-the-line designer clothes. Given how much he cares about Kyouko and the fact that it was a Birthday AND Christmas present all wrapped into one (And, knowing Ren, he might even try to use the excuse that it's eleven YEARS worth of Birthday/Christmas presents wrapped into one, since the last time he'd seen her she was just six) I can definately see Ren going a little over the top on a gift for Kyouko.

I knew Diamonds come from carbon. If I remember right, compressed coal can even be turned into gems, under the right conditions (And actually, I don't wear diamonds... or rings, for that matter. I do a lot of drawing, and rings just get in my way) but thank you for providing me with such a graphic mental image. 'makes a face'. At any rate, I remember reading that most jewelers have never seen a pink diamond before, but I still can't help but think that something like that would never stop Ren.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.