First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Christianophobia.....
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/22/09 , edited 3/22/09

iGhost wrote:


digs wrote:



I know that there has been violence inflicted by Christians, but it isn't Christianity that does it, it is the individuals. My point wasn't that Christians haven't sinned by being violent, my point is that Christ tells us not to be and when we do we aren't doing the "Christian thing." Or rather, the Christ-Like things that we are called to do.


ah, i think i see your point. you mean that christians who commit violent acts basically didin't get right what Christ meant?


Yes, I think Christians who kill or act violent "for Christ" are deceived and use Christ to try and justify their violence. So yes, your statement is what I was trying to get across ^_^
23559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/22/09

digs wrote:


ah, i think i see your point. you mean that christians who commit violent acts basically didin't get right what Christ meant?


Yes, I think Christians who kill or act violent "for Christ" are deceived and use Christ to try and justify their violence. So yes, your statement is what I was trying to get across ^_^

Yeah, it makes sense. I guess people like that are the reason christians are very well liked anymore
Posted 3/22/09
I think religions are miss-represented by their major leaders, they preach their own agenda and ignore the basic fundamentals of the original teachings for political or monetary gains. Religion would be best left out of the political arena because it sometimes tries to force laws onto everyone regardless if they believe or not, which trespasses into peoples own personal freedoms.
36195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 3/22/09
I have several close friends who are very religious, as well as my sister and mother whom attend church on a weekly basis and carries a bible with her every day. But i strongly disagree with any type of religion. It's funny how they're always so hypocritical. You're supposed to be kind, with good morals, etc, and they just start religious wars all the time.

Your uncle was harassed by gays because they just lost an extremely valuable part of their life, the right to wed. How would you feel if a certain population strongly disagreed with your right to legally marry the one whom you love? That's taking away your right to the pursuit of happiness, it's just unfair. I'm not the biggest fan of gays either, but my morals say that taking away the rights to be happy is just plain wrong. Don't tell me that Christians are not against gay marriage because in truth they are.

I feel as if a lot of people look down upon religion because society has moved away from depending on religion. Society has opened its eyes to science, science can prove things rather than just saying something. There honestly is no proof that god does or does not exist, but by using logical common sense you can deduce that the possibility of Jesus being real is very limited. I also think that religion in general is just a great way to make money which i don't think is right either.

I personally like the fact that there's people who believe in different things, if not the world would be unbalanced and collapse. Every single group of people have their extremists and there is no exception to religious groups. There are always scandals with any group as well, which religion is no exception to either. Society as a whole gets mindraped by this from the media and other sorts they tend to hear only what they want to hear. Rather than reading about it themselves, personal experiences, and giving people a chance they just assume because the world is ignorant. I think that this "christianophobia" will only get worse as the world expands. Society is changing, and it's changing fast. Kids are not wanting to go to church anymore, it's not the "cool" thing. Or they're just learning that you don't need to have religion to live a good healthy life.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 3/22/09

StephyKot87 wrote:

I kinda notice from some public to here (on forums) that there is sense of hatred, intolerance and discrimination of Christians when it comes to civil problems or others.

I end up hearing or reading comments on how Christians are "uneducated," "Small-minded," "homophobia," "bigots," and "fear mongering." Others comments like "The Christians/Religious people are ruining the country" or "They started the wars." When its come to tolerance, its seems that Christians are the only religion or group that been treated bad by others, and is becoming a religious freedom problem.


Considering that throughout history Christianity has been the most notorious religion for treating people of other religions badly and limiting their religious freedoms, it's not really a surprise. Isn't there something in the Bible that says something along the lines of "you reap what you sow?"

Even so, that doesn't make it right, the anti-theists/ Christianophobes who hate Christians because of their hypocrisy and persecution of entire groups of people are just as, if not many times more hypocritical than the Christians that they hate. Just because a relatively small amount of Christians have done and are still doing terrible things, it doesn't mean that all Christians support their actions, and definitely should not be blamed for the actions of those few extreme Christians. Anti-theists get upset when they're compared to Hitler and the Nazis, who were supposedly atheist, but then do the same thing and compare all Christians to Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. It's frustrating especially for me, since I always get lumped in with those Christianophobes/anti-theists just because I'm atheist.
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/22/09
I don't like it when a Christian, or any other person with religious background, relies solely on their faith as evidence in an argument with a person that has no religious beliefs. To the person with no beliefs, what the bible says, etc... is irrelevant.

I also dislike the fact that as a (dwindling) majority the Christian/Catholic population can take away the rights of minority groups (gay marriage, religious attires in sports, stem cells research bans, etc.). It gets in the way of scientific and ethical progress/ evolution which I, personally, find rather annoying.

Extremist and "blind" followers of any religion are bad for our society as a whole.
13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 3/22/09 , edited 3/22/09

StephyKot87 wrote:

I kinda notice from some public to here (on forums) that there is sense of hatred, intolerance and discrimination of Christians when it comes to civil problems or others.

I end up hearing or reading comments on how Christians are "uneducated," "Small-minded," "homophobia," "bigots," and "fear mongering." Others comments like "The Christians/Religious people are ruining the country" or "They started the wars." When its come to tolerance, its seems that Christians are the only religion or group that been treated bad by others, and is becoming a religious freedom problem.

With these comments I was like I can't believe they fall for those stereotypes or maybe they never met any Christians before. But what scared me, as a Catholic, is that it starting to become more than comments and stereotypes. I read news articles of Christians under attack (both verbally and physically) in US, Western Europe, India, Indonesia and other areas. Even my Uncle, who is Catholic too, told me he got harassed by group of gays while heading to work in Los Angeles because of his faith. These are hate crimes just like any other hate crimes.


I am curious of what is your thoughts about this situation or if you been in this situation before. PLEASE, PLEASE be respectful while writing.

Christianophobia is just as bad as Anti-Semitism (or Judeo-phobia) and Islamicphobia. And I want people to be aware before you say something very negative or acting negative towards Christians before it gets any worst. Thats all.


Articles in Christianpbia:

http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=26445
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=15492&sec=56&con=64



ma'am, i think i would only understand how you feel is i were christian... or very religious of whatever religion.... or something...

if im correct, you christians believe that the bible is the words of god. ma'am, i must ask, is the bible not a book printed by man? so its something that god says. okay, lets take it as it is something he said, can man not change it? i mean, if i take a bible and rewrite it or draw on it... is it still the words of god?

if im correct, the bible is composed of tons of books... old testament, new testament, disciples, etc. so theyre all the words of god? and i though men wrote them.... hmm...


also, the old argument, have you seen, hear, touched, etc. your god or jesus?

i have, seen and hear jesus.... that guy in school...

and i am god... well, i shall be.


ps. i do think that it is you christians who are always critizing science and banning a lot of scientific researches. not to mention, dont you guys rule over the americas and europe? and you still face descrimination? hmm, why not start a crusade or a inquisition?
13326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 3/22/09 , edited 3/22/09

digs wrote:

What is one instance where Christ called for violence to get what we want? Jesus never said any of that, the crusades may have happened in the name of the Church, but it was contrary to Christ. It isn't Christ who calls for violence but satan. Christ even says this regarding our enemies.
Mat 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor [fn] and hate your enemy.'
Mat 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies [fn] and pray for those who persecute you,


if it wasnt him, why would the romans go on christian hunt? ohhh? and here i though the church are his followers.... even tho he is dead.

satan? nice indeed. so your saying this mythology guy called satan who is or was an angel is the cause of everything? nice indeed.

ohhh? so youre saying if i kill you, you love me? well, the world dont work that way.

also, here i though he said: Matthew 27:46 My God, my God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me

hmm, hes a rather big hypocrite... not to mention his criminal nature and hanging around with the lowlives (thieves, beggars, etc.)




Yes, I think Christians who kill or act violent "for Christ" are deceived and use Christ to try and justify their violence. So yes, your statement is what I was trying to get across ^_^

wait, did you not just said for that guy? so who are they being deceived by? that criminal?
Posted 3/23/09 , edited 3/23/09

StephyKot87 wrote:
its seems that Christians are the only religion or group that been treated bad by others,


Well I wouldn't go that far (some people assuming Muslim's are suspicious) but I see what you are saying. Personally the way it's worded is quite rude (their comment like christians being more stupid), though their points do in a way support it, to be honest it's quite vague and I insist christians aren't necessarily stupid for their reasoning. What defines intelligence anyway?
In saying this I do challenge christians on certain points such as the homophobia or evolution issue that some of them have. But I do get a little distressed when I see people pointlessly targeting them and starting the argument (really trying to provoke them I mean. At least have a point). I repeat, I challenge them and am happy to challenge christians on their beliefs especially when they force it on me, or use it as an excuse for something I disagree with, But I'm not gonna go around shouting my opinion, making a thread about it, and challenging people on the issue when they haven't even used the religion in a way I see as bad. E.G. quoting the bible and saying gays will burn in hell. Or even that I will for not believing.
We each have our own beliefs and should perhaps start respecting them more appropriately, myself included.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/09

o0James0o wrote:


digs wrote:

What is one instance where Christ called for violence to get what we want? Jesus never said any of that, the crusades may have happened in the name of the Church, but it was contrary to Christ. It isn't Christ who calls for violence but satan. Christ even says this regarding our enemies.
Mat 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor [fn] and hate your enemy.'
Mat 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies [fn] and pray for those who persecute you,


if it wasnt him, why would the romans go on christian hunt? ohhh? and here i though the church are his followers.... even tho he is dead.

satan? nice indeed. so your saying this mythology guy called satan who is or was an angel is the cause of everything? nice indeed.

ohhh? so youre saying if i kill you, you love me? well, the world dont work that way.

also, here i though he said: Matthew 27:46 My God, my God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me

hmm, hes a rather big hypocrite... not to mention his criminal nature and hanging around with the lowlives (thieves, beggars, etc.)




Yes, I think Christians who kill or act violent "for Christ" are deceived and use Christ to try and justify their violence. So yes, your statement is what I was trying to get across ^_^

wait, did you not just said for that guy? so who are they being deceived by? that criminal?


The Romans pursecuted the Christians because the world hates conviction. They killed Jesus because of His message, and they killed Christians for it too. Jesus isn't dead :)

You may not believe in satan, but in the context of a Christian argument satan is the one who deceives and causes violence.

And yes, you can kill me for my faith and I will still love you and everyone else. Stephen was stoned to death and in his dying breaths he was praying for those murdering Him.

And God forsake Jesus because on the cross Jesus took upon Himself all the sin of the world. Jesus lived a perfect and sinless life, and thus was not under the law of sin and death. Because He was perfect and God Himself, He was able to atone for all the sins of mankind, but by doing so he had to suffer the punishment for sin (death) and take upon all sin. God is Holy and cannot have sin in His presence (that is why hell exists), Jesus took upon all sin, and that is why God had to forsake Himself when Jesus died on the cross.

And they are being deceived by satan and their own foolish natures. The truth is not in what they do.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/23/09
American Religious Identification Survey 2008 Results 17.9% of Americans are in one way or another Atheist, thats double the amount of atheist the year before.
why such a jump? maby more and more people are waking up and thinking for them selfs, and not falling for the bullshit anymore.
What do you think is the reson bahind the large jump of atheist in america in just one years time?
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/09
Actually, here is the data from that poll.

1990 2001
Number % Number %
Atheist 902,000 0.4
Agnostic 1186000 991,000 0.5
Humanist 29,000 49,000 0
Secular 53,000 0
No Religion 13,116,000 27,486,000 13.2
Total No Religion Specified 14,331,000 8.2 29,481,000 14.1
Refused 4,031,000 2.3 11,246,000 5.4
No Religion Groups


Only 0.4% identified as being atheist. The largest group of 13.2% professed to have to religion, which doesn't imply that they believe that no sprit/life force/creator/god exists, they are just not members of any religious sect. The report can be found here http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris.pdf
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/23/09

digs wrote:

Actually, here is the data from that poll.

1990 2001
Number % Number %
Atheist 902,000 0.4
Agnostic 1186000 991,000 0.5
Humanist 29,000 49,000 0
Secular 53,000 0
No Religion 13,116,000 27,486,000 13.2
Total No Religion Specified 14,331,000 8.2 29,481,000 14.1
Refused 4,031,000 2.3 11,246,000 5.4
No Religion Groups


Only 0.4% identified as being atheist. The largest group of 13.2% professed to have to religion, which doesn't imply that they believe that no sprit/life force/creator/god exists, they are just not members of any religious sect. The report can be found here http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris.pdf


The Latest 2008 polls are out.. use them..
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/09
I looked for the 2008 and can't fund the poll data, if you have link please share it as I would like to see the findings as well. Here is what I did find though. http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/. It states that Catholics and mainstream denominations are decreasing (while other Christian denominations are growing like charismatics and Baptists) and non-religion is increasing, however it also states that the Baptists are increasing along with Mormons, Muslims, and Eastern religions. 1.6% profess to be atheist, while the rest of those in the non-religious category are either agnostic or deist. Atheism as an ideology is actually declining worldwide http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/mar/03/20050303-115733-9519r/
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/23/09 , edited 3/23/09

digs wrote:

I looked for the 2008 and can't fund the poll data, if you have link please share it as I would like to see the findings as well. Here is what I did find though. http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/. It states that Catholics and mainstream denominations are decreasing (while other Christian denominations are growing like charismatics and Baptists) and non-religion is increasing, however it also states that the Baptists are increasing along with Mormons, Muslims, and Eastern religions. 1.6% profess to be atheist, while the rest of those in the non-religious category are either agnostic or deist. Atheism as an ideology is actually declining worldwide http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/mar/03/20050303-115733-9519r/


http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/
As for 17.9 I found after adding in religions that do not believe in god into the factor, being that Atheist is just the lack of belief in a God or Gods. No religion specified, groups
Atheist
Agnostic
Humanist
Secular
Ethical Culture
No religion/None

I found the infermation once, and this is part of it... so I will find it again.. I Hope this helps...

it 12% For no religion/NONE and Atheist. (Some people don't like being called atheist so they don't place there vote in the atheist box. They just put No religion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.