First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Graduation Ceremonies and Prom
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/26/09
What do we really accomplish by graduating high school in our current education system? We can just show up and graduate. Are we really doing something worth a big celebration? It is expected for us to graduate with a diploma, why should we be congratulated for something that we are expected and obligated to do.
Why should we get a pat on the back for doing something we have to do?

I personally find it pointless.
Posted 3/26/09

darkmagiciangirl911 wrote:

What do we really accomplish by graduating high school in our current education system? We can just show up and graduate. Are we really doing something worth a big celebration? It is expected for us to graduate with a diploma, why should we be congratulated for something that we are expected and obligated to do.
Why should we get a pat on the back for doing something we have to do?

I personally find it pointless.


To give people some motivation in order to do it, I did not go to my junior or senior prom because no one wanted to go with me but i am sure others will like it. Also it's a tradition and those are usually hard to break nowadays xP. Also it makes people feel better about themselves to show that they did graduate from high school and was able to have fun with there class mates, also getting out of high school or passing etc is not something we have to do but something we are forced to do. I passed high school with a 3.5 GPA etc but what does it matter an high school diploma does not mean shit nowadays unless you want to go to college witch i did not have the fortune to go to, now i have to work for living for the rest of my life. I will not go into more detail because i am tired =_= oh btw you can eaisly slide some one through school with straight d's what does that prove??
Posted 3/26/09
its suppose to be something special for the students who actually made it all the way through school without quitting....but i find it pointless as well
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 3/26/09 , edited 3/26/09
We have them to give people something to look forward to, and to make them feel like the past 12 or so years of their life hasn't been a complete waste of time. It could also be seen as an "official" transition from childhood to adulthood.

Proms are used to support the delusion that many teenagers have that superficial popularity is actually worth something. And I guess to make school seem more "fun" for people who can't be motivated by academics alone.

I realize that I'm stereotyping, and I don't care.
7895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / ~_
Offline
Posted 3/27/09
...are things you shouldn't miss,...
it only happens a few times in your life...so don't let the chance to experience it pass
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 3/27/09

hamstie wrote:

...are things you shouldn't miss,...
it only happens a few times in your life...so don't let the chance to experience it pass


So we should experience them only because we have a few chances to experience them? Well, you only get one chance to experience what death by chugging a bottle of rat poison is like, why don't more people do that?
7895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / ~_
Offline
Posted 3/27/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:


hamstie wrote:

...are things you shouldn't miss,...
it only happens a few times in your life...so don't let the chance to experience it pass


So we should experience them only because we have a few chances to experience them? Well, you only get one chance to experience what death by chugging a bottle of rat poison is like, why don't more people do that?


'coz they are not that stupid.....
7269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / south east asia..^^
Offline
Posted 3/27/09 , edited 3/27/09
...things we should NEVER miss.!
...graduation ceremonies MIGHT be the last time/s we would see every one in our batch all together...
...prom's are like birthday party's we should attend and have lots of fun with our friends..^___^
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 3/27/09

hamstie wrote:


Cuddlebuns wrote:


hamstie wrote:

...are things you shouldn't miss,...
it only happens a few times in your life...so don't let the chance to experience it pass


So we should experience them only because we have a few chances to experience them? Well, you only get one chance to experience what death by chugging a bottle of rat poison is like, why don't more people do that?


'coz they are not that stupid.....


But you only get one chance to do it, just like you only get one chance to walk across a stage at graduation. And since you only get one chance then you have to do them, right?
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In The Abyss
Offline
Posted 3/27/09
I'm sure some people look forward to it as a little reward for their efforts, so it has a purpose, I personally dislike them though. Too much time spent on trying to make a big deal about a small thing that's probably happened numerous times before, passing a grade. I read up a few posts that's it's like a birthday....I don't hold a birthday party, nor ask for much at all. Then again my view doesn't matter, I'm too lazy and coldhearted to care about things that make people happy and work hard.
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/27/09

animefanatic1995 wrote:

...things we should NEVER miss.!
...graduation ceremonies MIGHT be the last time/s we would see every one in our batch all together...
...prom's are like birthday party's we should attend and have lots of fun with our friends..^___^


Why should we not miss them? If they are worthwhile friends you will be able to keep in touch after finishing high school. Birthday's are just as pointless, you accomplish very little by just living another day or year. It doesn't take any "work" to stay alive. Things don't have to be elaborate to have fun, prom is just a glorified school dance with sub par food in a room crowded with people you may or may not like for a couple hours.
13118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/27/09
It's a right of passage. Graduating high school is a huge milestone and deserves to be celebrated. It's not about earning your diploma, but transitioning from high school into the real world. A diploma is just a certificate to show that you've completed all mandatory coursework required by that school district. It's the symbolism behind graduation and prom that holds true meaning.
1711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/27/09

DjMateo wrote:

It's a right of passage. Graduating high school is a huge milestone and deserves to be celebrated. It's not about earning your diploma, but transitioning from high school into the real world. A diploma is just a certificate to show that you've completed all mandatory coursework required by that school district. It's the symbolism behind graduation and prom that holds true meaning.


Deserves celebrations? We don't deserve anything that's pretty much mandatory to begin with. In this day and age, we don't transition to the "real world" after high school, we have more education and a support cushion to fall on if we screw up. Graduating high school know is no more of a milestone than graduating preschool. We can get by with minimum effort. It doesn't even symbolize our transition from adolescent to adult anymore because that occurs after graduation when we assimilate into society. We don't deserve anything for it or anything else like that.
1309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Milky Way
Offline
Posted 3/27/09 , edited 3/28/09
Well I always wanted to walk across the stage and get my diploma. I mean I went through all that hell to get it. I want my gold robe and my little thingy hanging from my hat for I could mess with it( forget what it is called). I also wanted to throw my hat into the air and give the people who made my school days hell the finger and a big fuck you. Only problem about gradution is the speechs. I don't need you to say crap like we are moving to bigger and better things for forty minutes per speech. And stuff like this is the last we will be together. Really? How dumb. We already know that and they forget to this tell how crappy life will continue and even get worse. Haha some might become porn stars like some of my classmates, get pregnant and marry, become crackheads, or be dead. They never said that some of us wouldnt reach our full potential. Don't get me wrong I had fun in highschool, met a lot of good people who in turned will be my friends until I pass on but I only care for my friends and my art teachers. Its good to celebrate getting out of highschool but the speechs are torture.

I also had to put this in but to some it might be pointless but to others it might mean something more. Some people go through hell in life and some fall into the darker sides of life. My one buddy got his diploma but experienced so agony to get it. He lost family during his time in highschool, friends, and his family needed him to be the man of the house because his pops died. He was ready to quit school and work for his family by any means but they wouldn't let him. His family sacrificed so much for he could finish and stay on the right path. Now he is in college trying to become a doctor. Getting that diploma saved him from a dark path and the possibly of being locked up or death. It shows if he really does work hard he can make it. So don't rule it as being pointless. Right now we are young and when we get older you might change your mind later on.




13118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/28/09

darkmagiciangirl911 wrote:


DjMateo wrote:

It's a right of passage. Graduating high school is a huge milestone and deserves to be celebrated. It's not about earning your diploma, but transitioning from high school into the real world. A diploma is just a certificate to show that you've completed all mandatory coursework required by that school district. It's the symbolism behind graduation and prom that holds true meaning.


Deserves celebrations? We don't deserve anything that's pretty much mandatory to begin with. In this day and age, we don't transition to the "real world" after high school, we have more education and a support cushion to fall on if we screw up. Graduating high school know is no more of a milestone than graduating preschool. We can get by with minimum effort. It doesn't even symbolize our transition from adolescent to adult anymore because that occurs after graduation when we assimilate into society. We don't deserve anything for it or anything else like that.



Well someone's quite the little pessimist isn't she
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.