First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Purity Balls
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
Last year all the girls (not the guys) in my homeroom got little white invitations to a father daughter dance called a purity ball. Well this sparked a few jokes (such as, "I hope there would be purity between fathers and daughters" ;))

However I wondered what the heck was it. By this time I had figured out by the info on the card (and the constant use of the word purity on it) that it had to do with abstinence. However, what really puzzled me was that none of the guys got invited too (sound a little sexist?)

So I researched it with my parents and found out that it's these events hosted by evangelical churches in America where a girl and here father go to a dance and her father has her sign a contract promising to abstain from sex until marriage. In some cases they get purity rings as well.(too remind them of their contract....wouldn't purity belts work better?)

Personally I think it's a bad idea for several reasons. One is that in a lot of cases these things only apply to girls (because guys can't get caught?). That right there sets off red flags for me of discrimination. Also shouldn't it be ones own choice. I have no problem with those wishing to abstain from sex until marriage. I think it's good that you can feel free to make your own decision. What I have a problem with is the idea that ones parents might force their daughter to attend one of these dances. It would be like she has no say in her decisions.

The use of the word pure also bothers me. It implies that people who don't wait are dirty and corrupted when that's not the case. Also the purity rings they pass out don't really serve a purpose. They're supposed to remind you of the contract but they can easily be discarded. It also reminds me to much like an engagement ring (these things cost money too)

Well that was all my opinion. I would like to hear from other people? I encourage all views on this issue. Please, as always, no flames and I would prefer for people not to use words like slut or worse on this thread. Please remain polite.

wikipedia had very little info. here's the link anyway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purity_Ball

btw this thread is not to be confused with the vigin and proud of it thread or any other similar thread. We're just talking about purity balls and rings. If anyone has had an experiance with a Chastity Check card as well, feel free to post your experiances
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / My Room
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
hmm...wonder what happens if the daughter broke this "pledge"?......
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 12/21/07

tacticsa2 wrote:

hmm...wonder what happens if the daughter broke this "pledge"?......


well you wouldn't find out unless she got pregnant
Posted 12/21/07
Purity balls are for noobs.
Posted 12/21/07
hmmm maybe its not that sexist because there are like father and daughter dances, like the mother is also not invited to the purity ball

but it does seem sexist that the boys dont have something like that

and it does seem like a good idea, but it wouldnt make sense signing a contract, because its their decision whether or not to become pregnant

i think i have more to add but lol this is what i have so far
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / My Room
Offline
Posted 12/21/07

artgeek707 wrote:


tacticsa2 wrote:

hmm...wonder what happens if the daughter broke this "pledge"?......


well you wouldn't find out unless she got pregnant


I see...so there might still be an opportunity for the daughter to not get caught if she uses one of those stuffs that gets rid of the fetus...
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 12/21/07

tacticsa2 wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:


tacticsa2 wrote:

hmm...wonder what happens if the daughter broke this "pledge"?......


well you wouldn't find out unless she got pregnant


I see...so there might still be an opportunity for the daughter to not get caught if she uses one of those stuffs that gets rid of the fetus...


An abortion? I guess so but a lot of states are banning teenage abortions
Posted 12/21/07

skygod333 wrote:

Purity balls are for noobs.


Amen to that

Posted 12/21/07
Ok, to back up my statement, purity balls fail because there is no reason why you should have to wait until marriage to have sex if you have safe practices and know what you're getting into.
Posted 12/21/07
Unfortunately, morality is relative and there are many reiterations of the same concept done differently. I've heard of this done, but by different a different name. One of my friends wore a "Promise ring" that reminded her to wait until she was eighteen before she would decide whether or not to have sex. All it did was place a hold on the decision until she was at a better place to decide. This idea doesn't seem all that bad to me, because it doesn't have the impure connotations.

My issue is that it was done at school. Unless you attend a private school, that needs to get shut down. But either way, if a girl chose not to participate, she would be alienated and she'd probably be assumed morally loose. Marriage should be a long way away from fourteen year olds, and that is a long time to carry that ring, just to put another on without test driving it first.
6072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / the 650
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
oh yeah i've heard of stuff like this. i knew somebody who had a check every month whether she was virgin or not so when she had sex the first time and after that she would *cough* take it from behind if you guys dont know how they check whether people are a virgin or not they check whether the hymen has been broken or not. but yea crazy stuff if your family is really strict about it
29475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/21/07
psshhhhtttt shit the chic could get her freak on n still keep the ring on no one would no besides her n who ever she get "it" on with n god
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 12/21/07

nipponboy911 wrote:

oh yeah i've heard of stuff like this. i knew somebody who had a check every month whether she was virgin or not so when she had sex the first time and after that she would *cough* take it from behind if you guys dont know how they check whether people are a virgin or not they check whether the hymen has been broken or not. but yea crazy stuff if your family is really strict about it


true but the hymen could break from participating in athletic activities or even inserting a tampon so that's not really accurate
Posted 12/21/07

smartii4u wrote:

psshhhhtttt shit the chic could get her freak on n still keep the ring on no one would no besides her n who ever she get "it" on with n god


Are you willing to lie like that? I could in a heartbeat without a second thought but could you live with that, being normal and all?
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / anywhere theirs i...
Offline
Posted 12/21/07

skygod333 wrote:

Ok, to back up my statement, purity balls fail because there is no reason why you should have to wait until marriage to have sex if you have safe practices and know what you're getting into.


many wait for marriage cause they want to stay pure i dont care what you say but guys to now want to marry the town hoar... plus notting protects against std's condems help but only alitte and notting 100% protects from preganacy either its only 98% or lower if i had a nickle for all the girls who got preganent this year id be rich there at least 15 girls of all races walking around our school right now with big belly from being preganant of course and all of them "used protection" mistake happen every day and once they do you cant just put that kind of mistake back it doesnt only concern you at this point it concerns the baby too.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.