Post Reply The "Abstract Ideas" Thread
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
Hello Peeps! I welcome you all to the Abstract Ideas Thread!
This is a thread that I hope will be used often, it is a thread that is designed for people who have ideas or random plot ideas or hell even just interesting dreams but have generally no where to take them.
I really wanted to make this thread because I get lots of things like this where I have a single interesting idea but have no where that I can expand it. Especially dreams. I have had a lot of story based dreams where it will be a well thought out story but it seems that it has no real place to go when you want it to be a real story.

I also hope that in a way this could be a committee, with that idea in mind I hope that it can be that people will post their random ideas and somebody who finds the idea interesting who has an idea to expand it will talk to the originator of the idea offer to work with them on it.

Any body should feel free to participate, work together, or just post opinions about the idea(s). Who knows maybe it could actually expand into something real creative and interesting! So don't be shy to post some real weird ideas because they all have the ability to expand into something gigantic!
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/30/09
Alright so I figured I would go ahead and break the ice on my brand new thread.

So I had this really weird dream the other night, I had dreamed that I was a different person. He was a real happy person to begin with. He had just graduated collage and was living in an apartment with his girlfriend in which he is engaged to. He is a real happy guy although his mother is dead due to some kind of accident from the past. Being the productive guy that he is, he got right into a job that he wanted to get into... but this is where the story begins to get weird. Now see due to the facts that it's a dream, I do not remember all the details, but very shortly after he is hired something is wrong about his workplace. There is no direct explanation but he begins to have problems. He starts seeing things and hearing things. It's not just his work place though. It's everywhere. Now it's not necessarily things that are as strange as fantasy or otherworldly but more that his normal common surroundings keep changing. People change immensely whether personality wise or just plain physically different. Or sometimes he sees something that shouldn't be there to begin with.
Some examples that I remember directly from the dream are things such as: I mentioned that his mother died a long time ago in an accident but a couple times he sees her as though she is alive and perfectly healthy based on her age. I thought that part was one of the spookiest parts of the dream. Still I got an even freakier example that I remember distinctly that confused the hell out of me while I was having the dream was, there was a part where he was trying to relax and just spend some romantic time with his girl friend... but... she kept changing age... There were times where she would begin to age older but then she would look younger... All the way to the point of where she looked like she was six years old. (I distinctly remember a scene where the girlfriend comes out of the bathroom wearing fancy underwear but wearing a tee shirt over it and she looked only like she was six years old.) Obviously the guy is losing it. People that he has never met in his life tell him that they are his best friends and people that he recognizes as friends tell him that they have never seen him in their lives.

It's mostly a mind twisting idea that has no real goal other than the fact that it is real strange and for some reason beginning his job is what triggered this all to happen. It's also supposed to be a depressing story... The guy ends up just completely losing it in the end and is labeled as psychopath... Not much of an ending but it can easily be played with.
So that's my first post on the Abstract Ideas thread. What do you guys think? Crazy or what? That was actually the dream I had last night, it was pretty creepy experiencing it first hand.
Moderator
15623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Labs, towns, citi...
Offline
Posted 3/31/09

Rezzy64 wrote:

Alright so I figured I would go ahead and break the ice on my brand new thread.

So I had this really weird dream the other night, I had dreamed that I was a different person. He was a real happy person to begin with. He had just graduated collage and was living in an apartment with his girlfriend in which he is engaged to. He is a real happy guy although his mother is dead due to some kind of accident from the past. Being the productive guy that he is, he got right into a job that he wanted to get into... but this is where the story begins to get weird. Now see due to the facts that it's a dream, I do not remember all the details, but very shortly after he is hired something is wrong about his workplace. There is no direct explanation but he begins to have problems. He starts seeing things and hearing things. It's not just his work place though. It's everywhere. Now it's not necessarily things that are as strange as fantasy or otherworldly but more that his normal common surroundings keep changing. People change immensely whether personality wise or just plain physically different. Or sometimes he sees something that shouldn't be there to begin with.
Some examples that I remember directly from the dream are things such as: I mentioned that his mother died a long time ago in an accident but a couple times he sees her as though she is alive and perfectly healthy based on her age. I thought that part was one of the spookiest parts of the dream. Still I got an even freakier example that I remember distinctly that confused the hell out of me while I was having the dream was, there was a part where he was trying to relax and just spend some romantic time with his girl friend... but... she kept changing age... There were times where she would begin to age older but then she would look younger... All the way to the point of where she looked like she was six years old. (I distinctly remember a scene where the girlfriend comes out of the bathroom wearing fancy underwear but wearing a tee shirt over it and she looked only like she was six years old.) Obviously the guy is losing it. People that he has never met in his life tell him that they are his best friends and people that he recognizes as friends tell him that they have never seen him in their lives.

It's mostly a mind twisting idea that has no real goal other than the fact that it is real strange and for some reason beginning his job is what triggered this all to happen. It's also supposed to be a depressing story... The guy ends up just completely losing it in the end and is labeled as psychopath... Not much of an ending but it can easily be played with.
So that's my first post on the Abstract Ideas thread. What do you guys think? Crazy or what? That was actually the dream I had last night, it was pretty creepy experiencing it first hand.


It's lovely. Absolutely wonderful.

But, where is the underlying purpose? These kinds of stories always sound compelling in one's head, but when they are actually produced, one finds that, no matter how creative they are, they are not fun to read/watch. I recommend solidifying the ideas, figuring out what caused this dude's mental breakdown, what it says about the nature of existance/society/humanity, and most importantly, making certain the audience can connect with the protagonist's mental state.
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/31/09

The_8th_Sin wrote:

It's lovely. Absolutely wonderful.

But, where is the underlying purpose? These kinds of stories always sound compelling in one's head, but when they are actually produced, one finds that, no matter how creative they are, they are not fun to read/watch. I recommend solidifying the ideas, figuring out what caused this dude's mental breakdown, what it says about the nature of existance/society/humanity, and most importantly, making certain the audience can connect with the protagonist's mental state.


lol yes which is exactly why I created this group. Just like I said in the beginning, it's a great idea but there is no real plot or goal. It's just a weird dream I had two days ago that has the potential of growing into something.
Since this thread is about working on collaborative ideas want to help me build on it some how? ^_^
Member
1140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/09
mecha-zombies. word. (hey, you said abstract.)
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/7/09

atelier7 wrote:

mecha-zombies. word. (hey, you said abstract.)


O_o ... lol Well, I did say abstract... lol.

Well what I mean was is there an overall idea in there, or did you just want to throw that out there. Surprisingly, I do believe there are stories with Mecha-zombies... mostly video games though... Doom I believe(?).
Moderator
15623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Labs, towns, citi...
Offline
Posted 4/7/09

Rezzy64 wrote:


atelier7 wrote:

mecha-zombies. word. (hey, you said abstract.)


O_o ... lol Well, I did say abstract... lol.

Well what I mean was is there an overall idea in there, or did you just want to throw that out there. Surprisingly, I do believe there are stories with Mecha-zombies... mostly video games though... Doom I believe(?).


I don't see any problem with an idea in such an undecorated form. Isn't the whole point of this thread to appreciate all ideas in all forms without worrying about their completeness?

Not saying you disagree; just being clear about what I think the thread is for.
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/7/09

The_8th_Sin wrote:


Rezzy64 wrote:


atelier7 wrote:

mecha-zombies. word. (hey, you said abstract.)


O_o ... lol Well, I did say abstract... lol.

Well what I mean was is there an overall idea in there, or did you just want to throw that out there. Surprisingly, I do believe there are stories with Mecha-zombies... mostly video games though... Doom I believe(?).


I don't see any problem with an idea in such an undecorated form. Isn't the whole point of this thread to appreciate all ideas in all forms without worrying about their completeness?

Not saying you disagree; just being clear about what I think the thread is for.


Ha ha, yeah there's nothing wrong with just throwing something out there.
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/7/09
Ha ha!!! Oh man! Okay so I was finishing reading this manga, and the end pissed me off and inspired me on this hilariously dark and disturbing idea.

So The manga I was reading was one of those manga's where there is one main male character and a dozen or so girls that are in love with him for what ever strange ass reason. So the ending made me angry because it used one of those cheap endings that a lot of those types use, where the main guy character can't choose what girl he likes the best, so they end it without him making a choice and leave it to the imagination... LAME.

So I had this idea in mind... (*Que Evil Laughter*)
It would be a story about a guy in that kind of situation... where the girls all want him. So he accepts them and so forth, just like one of those manga's should go... but they want them to choose amongst them as which is the one he really loves. He himself can't exactly choose either. So he decides to test them based on how they act around him, as well as how they would react to certain situations around him.
Wait though! Here's the best part!!! If he doesn't like how they act or react... He kills them!!!! Yeah! ...lol... Yeah... I'm demented... lol.

As funny as I personally think it is, I really think it could be an interesting idea!
Moderator
15623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Labs, towns, citi...
Offline
Posted 4/8/09 , edited 4/8/09

Rezzy64 wrote:

Ha ha!!! Oh man! Okay so I was finishing reading this manga, and the end pissed me off and inspired me on this hilariously dark and disturbing idea.

So The manga I was reading was one of those manga's where there is one main male character and a dozen or so girls that are in love with him for what ever strange ass reason. So the ending made me angry because it used one of those cheap endings that a lot of those types use, where the main guy character can't choose what girl he likes the best, so they end it without him making a choice and leave it to the imagination... LAME.

So I had this idea in mind... (*Que Evil Laughter*)
It would be a story about a guy in that kind of situation... where the girls all want him. So he accepts them and so forth, just like one of those manga's should go... but they want them to choose amongst them as which is the one he really loves. He himself can't exactly choose either. So he decides to test them based on how they act around him, as well as how they would react to certain situations around him.
Wait though! Here's the best part!!! If he doesn't like how they act or react... He kills them!!!! Yeah! ...lol... Yeah... I'm demented... lol.

As funny as I personally think it is, I really think it could be an interesting idea!


Of course, you've identified the main problem with harem animes. In a standard romance, there is no point in watching if you don't like both of the characters involved. Harem animes were invented so that they could minimize risks by developing multiple relationships at once. The weakness of harem is that because each character pairing has its own fans, if the main character actually chooses someone, a huge portion of the fans will be pissed off.

As you have suggested in your idea, the only way to win is to not play the game. "I don't give a crap about your conventions," you say, "I'm going to provide closure, like it or not."

That said, I believe that the idea in this state needs elaboration. Tell me: are we expected to like the main character if he's a murderer? When do all these murders happen? On an episodic basis, or at the end? If it happens on an episodic basis, does that mean he meets the girls one at a time? If so, does that mean he murders them all? Half of them? And once the murdering is done, if there's more than one girl left standing, haven't you failed in providing closure? Does that mean there will only be one left standing? Or, as you suggested, does it mean that none of them will be left standing?

By the way, you're not the only one who thinks that cruelty and murder in animes can be beautiful. I bet you'll love my anime, Yin/Yang if I actually end up making it someday.
Rookie
6336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Above Wherever I...
Offline
Posted 4/9/09
Plot Line for "All Hallows Eve":

There's this huge organization called "Halloween." Used to be, in the old times, a small anti-government group called "Tarot" with only enough members to fill up one Tarot Deck, most of them weak at that, but it grew into "Halloween."

Under the old system, there was one ruler, the "Fool," more commonly called the Joker, but to protect him from the government the organization rarely glorified him as leader. Most choices were made by the four Suit leaders, King of Swords, King of Pentacles, King of Cups, and King of Wands (or Queens, as the case often was). The "Fool" would only make a guest appearance when all members needed to be gathered to crush the government.

In our current timeline, "Halloween" has multiple tiers, from the traditional "Pentacles Branch" with its King to random, smaller gangster branches like "Anthill" with its Queen and "Zealots Under the Crossed Union" led by a Council. There is an appointed "Duke of Halloween" to rule over the entire criminal network, but he has no real power because he is not the true Fool, now called "Joker."

You can see the problem! Anybody can simply refuse a court order in the underworld because they say the order comes from somebody who is not the true Joker, a title that has been deified to mean invincible, which of course no man is. As the government becomes bolder and more corrupt, Halloween needs to get its act together, and fast.

Tarot had always been a balance against the government when the rulers went overboard against the civilians. Halloween is supposed to be that as well, but of course its branches act for their own gain. Multiple fake "Jokers" pop up, trying to sway the entire organization with their strength or with their influence.

Our protagonist is a teenager who wants to become head Joker, and his name is Patsu. His ability comes from his huge wooden hammer slung across his back, which reacts with his emotions as he fights. Patsu is unique in that instead of showing emotions, he says them in "faces": "happy face," "sad face," "constipated face," etc...

Of course, to join this merry band, an assortment of wierd people show up as Patsu heads for the top.
Jack R'bee, a skater skeleton with a desire to fly. Miko Aratake, a wild girl raised by wolves. Laden Springfield, a flexible student of martial arts.
Together, with quirks all along the way, they eliminate or integrate the other Jokers as the fifteen-year-old kid tries to convince the mass of the criminal organization to join under one banner for the sake of the "righteous face."

Complications arise when the former Duke tries to kill him, but is ousted by an unknown girl named Ree. Conditions further worsen as the genius "Storm" Raiden takes over the government in an effortless coup de etat. Three children have taken over the world by storm, and whimsical but perilous chaos ensues.
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/13/09
Alright, So a while a go I came up with an interesting idea that I kind of wanted to play with a bit.

So the story is about a boy is an Empath, he has the ability to sense and understand peoples emotions. Yet his ability has a side effect that causes him to be heavily influenced by the emotions he senses from others. In other words he is able to absorb a persons absolute emotion and replicate it in an extreme physical and emotional way, plus it's more extreme due to the fact that he is replicating the raw emotion.

This obviously makes him a very dangerous person. Sometimes he may pick up on someones lust for another and this would cause him to become something of like a sexual predator, or he may pick up on someones hatred towards another and it would influence him to want to murder somebody.

It's just something a little fun I came up with. Maybe if I think about it a bit more I can design a story around it.
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/13/09

Rezzy64 wrote:

Alright, So a while a go I came up with an interesting idea that I kind of wanted to play with a bit.

So the story is about a boy is an Empath, he has the ability to sense and understand peoples emotions. Yet his ability has a side effect that causes him to be heavily influenced by the emotions he senses from others. In other words he is able to absorb a persons absolute emotion and replicate it in an extreme physical and emotional way, plus it's more extreme due to the fact that he is replicating the raw emotion.

This obviously makes him a very dangerous person. Sometimes he may pick up on someones lust for another and this would cause him to become something of like a sexual predator, or he may pick up on someones hatred towards another and it would influence him to want to murder somebody.

It's just something a little fun I came up with. Maybe if I think about it a bit more I can design a story around it.


Oh another thing that would make this interesting.
Because he can pick up on peoples emotions and replicate them raw. This could also make him a very powerful weapon.
For instance if someone has the intent on killing him, he can replicate the raw emotion of hatred and use it to his advantage being stronger and better at hating than the original person he absorbed it from.
Moderator
15623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Labs, towns, citi...
Offline
Posted 4/14/09 , edited 4/14/09

Rezzy64 wrote:


Rezzy64 wrote:

Alright, So a while a go I came up with an interesting idea that I kind of wanted to play with a bit.

So the story is about a boy is an Empath, he has the ability to sense and understand peoples emotions. Yet his ability has a side effect that causes him to be heavily influenced by the emotions he senses from others. In other words he is able to absorb a persons absolute emotion and replicate it in an extreme physical and emotional way, plus it's more extreme due to the fact that he is replicating the raw emotion.

This obviously makes him a very dangerous person. Sometimes he may pick up on someones lust for another and this would cause him to become something of like a sexual predator, or he may pick up on someones hatred towards another and it would influence him to want to murder somebody.

It's just something a little fun I came up with. Maybe if I think about it a bit more I can design a story around it.


Oh another thing that would make this interesting.
Because he can pick up on peoples emotions and replicate them raw. This could also make him a very powerful weapon.
For instance if someone has the intent on killing him, he can replicate the raw emotion of hatred and use it to his advantage being stronger and better at hating than the original person he absorbed it from.


Let me get this straight; does having powerful emotions enhance him in some physical way?

Edit: That phrasing sounded kinda dirty...
Moderator
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/14/09

The_8th_Sin wrote:


Rezzy64 wrote:


Rezzy64 wrote:

Alright, So a while a go I came up with an interesting idea that I kind of wanted to play with a bit.

So the story is about a boy is an Empath, he has the ability to sense and understand peoples emotions. Yet his ability has a side effect that causes him to be heavily influenced by the emotions he senses from others. In other words he is able to absorb a persons absolute emotion and replicate it in an extreme physical and emotional way, plus it's more extreme due to the fact that he is replicating the raw emotion.

This obviously makes him a very dangerous person. Sometimes he may pick up on someones lust for another and this would cause him to become something of like a sexual predator, or he may pick up on someones hatred towards another and it would influence him to want to murder somebody.

It's just something a little fun I came up with. Maybe if I think about it a bit more I can design a story around it.


Oh another thing that would make this interesting.
Because he can pick up on peoples emotions and replicate them raw. This could also make him a very powerful weapon.
For instance if someone has the intent on killing him, he can replicate the raw emotion of hatred and use it to his advantage being stronger and better at hating than the original person he absorbed it from.


Let me get this straight; does having powerful emotions enhance him in some physical way?

Edit: That phrasing sounded kinda dirty...


Sort of... It's kind of like an adrenaline thing... With powerful emotional influence and lack of control over it gives him a sort of need or itch to go through with an act based on that emotion so with the need to act he gets an emotional/adrenaline like pump from it.

I don't know, if I'm willing to be a bit more fantasy like with it, I could just go with an emotional power up... but that's not exactly my style.
You must be logged in to post.