First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Hong Kong going back to the hands of China
Posted 6/14/09
In a way I'm kind of sad D: this has nothing to do with the government, it's because I'm BBC, British Born Chinese, and I would probably feel more of a connection to Hong Kong if it was still in the hands of Britain, so Hongkong would be more homely for me
2707 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/26/09
im from Hk. ive always felt that hk ppl prefered everything that's not "made in China". Hk ppl think they are superior than the mainland people and this mentality is not fading out. the relationship between the 2 is more complicated then it seems, there are underplots from the united states controllin opposition parties in the actual hk government to help them with anti-china activities. i think we are all chinese and its good that hk is a part of china now no matter how.
and sometimes, i dont see how a chinese born outside HK/China could come up and comment on how they prefered HK more than China or be proud to be associated only with HK and not China.
China is growin up, economically and socially and to be able to reach the mature stage, factories will have to pollute and hard labour will have to continue for awhile ahead. This path has been walked by all the civilized countries ig. USA, CAN, JAP,etc. They all have polluted, now that its the turn of China to industralize, they started to complain.
and tell me how China loves to copy other countries' ideas and not make their own products, i think people should look how the Japanese started their motor/automobile industries, they literally stole ideas from the americans back then.
To be able in the future to stand still, head up and say Im Chinese and Im proud, i think people should comprehend who we are and be united as one coz we are indeed all Chinese.
512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 8/6/09
ohh? i tot hong kong is part of china?
21223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/7/09

blackistar5 wrote:

ohh? i tot hong kong is part of china?


We were under British rule for 156 years.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/09

Sekushi_Sushi wrote:


blackistar5 wrote:

ohh? i tot hong kong is part of china?


We were under British rule for 156 years.


wrong, hong kong was under british rule for 99 years based on a treaty signed during the opium wars in the late 1800's
21223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/9/09

PixeIs wrote:


Sekushi_Sushi wrote:


blackistar5 wrote:

ohh? i tot hong kong is part of china?


We were under British rule for 156 years.


wrong, hong kong was under british rule for 99 years based on a treaty signed during the opium wars in the late 1800's


Nope.

The Island of Hong Kong became a British Crown Colony in 1842 under the Nanking Treaty signed between China and Britian after China lost the first opium war to the British. Then in 1860, China lost the second Opium war to the joint British-French forces and Kowloon, up to Boundary Street, was added to the British Colony, under the Peking Convention.

Then in 1898, Britian obtained a lease from China to lease New Territory (up to Sum Zhen River) plus several islands for 99 years. When the lease was up in 1997, China refused to renew the lease and the whole of Hong Kong was returned to China. However, no rent had ever been "paid" by the British during the lease.

Thus, Hong Kong Island and Kowloon (up to south of Boundary Street) was under British rule for 156 years.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 8/9/09
do the math......treaty for lease signed in 1898.....treaty expired in 1997......99 years.....not 156....u just put ur foot in ur mouth
2030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Toronto, Ontario
Offline
Posted 8/13/09
I'm CBC (born in Canada), and I don't really see what's so much to discuss about in terms of HK being back under Chinese control. As faras I am concerned, in the 80s Thatcher and Deng Xiaoping negotiated a deal which would see HK operate under its own system for 50 more years, until 2047. HK is still largely self-regulated.

That being said, I also don't see why HK businessmen are leaving HK by the boatloads. China is no longer strictly a communist nation, it allows private business and free enterprise to operate, even more so than in North America. I have a lot of Chinese friends who are Visa students whose parents are businesspeople in mainland China.
38 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/09

Hitarishini wrote:

I'm CBC (born in Canada), and I don't really see what's so much to discuss about in terms of HK being back under Chinese control. As faras I am concerned, in the 80s Thatcher and Deng Xiaoping negotiated a deal which would see HK operate under its own system for 50 more years, until 2047. HK is still largely self-regulated.

That being said, I also don't see why HK businessmen are leaving HK by the boatloads. China is no longer strictly a communist nation, it allows private business and free enterprise to operate, even more so than in North America. I have a lot of Chinese friends who are Visa students whose parents are businesspeople in mainland China.


the reason you dont understand is largely because ur are a CBC and havent experienced it
283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / F / in my memmory
Offline
Posted 8/25/09
i like hong kong

thanks for your words

thanks kyoko
407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 8/31/09
isnt hk part of china?
3607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 10/12/09
hk and china are not very different. hk ppl speak the same language as some in china. seems like some ppl have something against China? (bad reputation) imo, they shuda been together since forever.
7504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / At my laptop....
Offline
Posted 10/26/09

mcluva420 wrote:

hk and china are not very different. hk ppl speak the same language as some in china. seems like some ppl have something against China? (bad reputation) imo, they shuda been together since forever.


No.
thats not true my parents are from hong kong
and we speak CANTONESE.
China people speak mandarin
HK people usually speak both since its easier to communicate when doing business

and they said that HK would return back to the China government after left 50 years unchanged
and we HK people prefer to be known as a seperate nation to China though if you put it in proper terms, yes HK does belong to china
but right now we prefer to be independant
3607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 11/21/09 , edited 11/21/09

leo22334455 wrote:


mcluva420 wrote:

hk and china are not very different. hk ppl speak the same language as some in china. seems like some ppl have something against China? (bad reputation) imo, they shuda been together since forever.


No.
thats not true my parents are from hong kong
and we speak CANTONESE.
China people speak mandarin
HK people usually speak both since its easier to communicate when doing business



my parents are from china they speak cantonese too. im talking about canton(guangdong/some part of guangzhou) and macau is sorta part of China, yes? see, some chinese people do speak cantonese.

plus, cantonese is just a chinese dialect. so YES, they all speak the same language, but just different dialect
7504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / At my laptop....
Offline
Posted 11/22/09

mcluva420 wrote:


leo22334455 wrote:


mcluva420 wrote:

hk and china are not very different. hk ppl speak the same language as some in china. seems like some ppl have something against China? (bad reputation) imo, they shuda been together since forever.


No.
thats not true my parents are from hong kong
and we speak CANTONESE.
China people speak mandarin
HK people usually speak both since its easier to communicate when doing business



my parents are from china they speak cantonese too. im talking about canton(guangdong/some part of guangzhou) and macau is sorta part of China, yes? see, some chinese people do speak cantonese.

plus, cantonese is just a chinese dialect. so YES, they all speak the same language, but just different dialect


well im not really stating that they dont speak canto but in HK we mainly speak canto and in china mainly mando
unless its round the boarders of HK and China
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.