First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
spelling
8286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ѕσмєωнєяє
Offline
Posted 12/22/07 , edited 12/22/07
do you think spelling is important?

example:

u = you



you still can understand
Posted 12/22/07
Now work on your grammar.
8286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ѕσмєωнєяє
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

skygod333 wrote:

Now work on your grammar.


i mean is it important or not dont say some thing pointless
Posted 12/22/07
Yes, if you can't put together a coherent sentence it can cause people to misperceive your point. Then again though it depends on what you're doing I guess spelling doesn't really matter when you're typing on the forums.
Posted 12/22/07

chikaze wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

Now work on your grammar.


i mean is it important or not dont say some thing pointless


What I said isn't pointless. You're supposed to think. Great, you have spelling down to a science. Now work on your grammar (I.E. Punctuation, capitolization etc.). Think next time you brain trust.
2986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Soon to be SCAD
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
What he said made perfect sense. Now, you didn't really post your opinion on spelling, so let's assume you are pro IQ. If you believe spelling is for the betterment of the english language (or, any language really) and will in turn give people their respect or approval (yeah, try getting into college with 'tlak') then grammer must also be included. If I sent my letter of intent in as one run on sentace spelled perfectly, they would still toss my application immediatly.
10900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / no code to escape...
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

skygod333 wrote:

Now work on your grammar.


lol we are giving grammar/spell checks as a Christmas gift =P It is important gees otherwise you will confuse the reader >_>

like for ex. you spelled correct wrong >_>
8286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ѕσмєωнєяє
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
what i meant is not in school or anything els like when you are chating with your friends
29511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
I'm a spelling a grammar freak -_- so its important for me. On the computer, instant messaging on yahoo or msn etc. would allow you to use the computer "short language" but if you are on the forums like this, in other words discussing, then you use proper spelling and grammar. [Oh no, I just made a run on sentence!]
raep 
8801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
for me I dont really care if its understandable then its fine by me
raep 
8801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Puerto Rico
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
if its on the internet or with friends it dosent matter
528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / ca
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
it is important!
42015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Fort Meade, MD
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

chikaze wrote:

do you think spelling is important?

example:

tlak = talk



you still can read the word corect



this thread is kinda silly, i mean your example of tlak = talk, is obviously a typo. you can understand it still because of the power of the human brain.

But purposeful misspellings such as:
wut = what


well pretty much almost anything said in the chats during the night time (for me)

it's just a lack of knowledge.

I mean, for some people english is not their first language, and the spelling is dificult, try to have a little patience with people, everyone is learning, and if they get angry because you correct them or suggest the right spelling, then they should be reprimanded, however, there is a tactful way to correct someone.

Example:

User: ai dunt kno wut ur saing
Duster: uhm, i'm sorry i didn't quite catch that
User: ai dunt know wut ur sayng
Duster: are you meaning that you don't understand me? you don't know what i'm saying?
User: ya english no my first langage

see?? be polite, try to understand, and don't flame them, if you were learning a language, would you want to be flamed for not knowing?

TOLERANCE is key here.
8286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ѕσмєωнєяє
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
if some one wrote something in a wrong spelling would you understand it?
2986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Soon to be SCAD
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

chikaze wrote:

if some one wrote something in a wrong spelling would you understand it?


that all depends on the word and how much they butchered it. Is the word a word I have used frequently and would recognize? Doest it follow the cambrige University studey where all the letters are the same and are scrambled, except for the first and last? Was it attempted phonetically?

That would be like me asking you, if I gave you a math equation, could you solve it?

It all depends on the example.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.