First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
spelling
1455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
If you're a person that types like that on the computer every time you type something out all you're doing is dulling your intelligence. Try actually learning how to spell a word's you don't know and try typing out every word because it's just annoying most of the time.
6257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Asia
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

chocofluffywhip wrote:

Everyone seems to be saying that spelling is only important to the extent that it doesn't matter as long as the person can understand you. Well, I ask you this, isn't correct spelling the only way you can make sure someone knows what you're saying?


true, but not everyone's familiar with all the words in the English dictionary. for some of us, English is our 2nd language, so the shorten form n simple grammar can give a better idea of what's expressed.

even i used to be a grammar-freak since schooling (now it's essential for my job) but after chatting on messengers i got used to this shorten form. so i use grammar n spelling thoroughly for work purposes, but for anything else i stick to the shorten form.

just think of it as the 'colloquialism' of the written English, of coz with the emphasis that it should be readable n clearly expressed.


J0hNNy2 wrote:

i shuld m4k3 a h4b1t typn lyk3 dys n c if p30pl3z g3t 4nn0y3d


even though it's readable for me to some extent, i guess some people might get mad.. coz it looks a bit messy.. thus not clearly readable.


bjay_ang wrote:

Although I'm going to be an English teacher... I didn't like to spell or use correct grammer.

My idea of a language is to enable people to communicate. If everyone understand wat it meant, then it is ok.


that's nice u know.. but for a teacher, don't u think language skills are far more important? if your students think the same, they might end up writing in a weird format for their academic exams, n later in life might continue to do the same at administration/ management level.

coz i feel teachers need to take grammar n spelling very seriously. not for their own sake, but for the sake of their students.


notabigdeal wrote:

That concept is a valid point in case, but then again I don't want to see the next president on the podium saying "lawlz, we r going to take diz cuntry to anther level, heheh bt not rght nao cus i gee to gee so i'll tee tee why ell ok? seeya"

Ok i exaggerated a bit too much there again but i guess you can get my point


LOL can't waitta see a president talking like that for real.. sure, like u say, spelling n grammar come in handy depending on various career choices u make. so there's no doubt it's essential.

21711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Where I am is whe...
Offline
Posted 12/22/07
Hell yeah spelling's important!
.........I is a grammar nazi. x]
Not.
Posted 12/22/07
I absolutely despise people that don't type properly. It's as if they are typing with their asses or something.

For example this would be me typing with my ass:

sddsfddfvsrfnfffffOr efg xdzxdxdxdzszascdc acfszb jo sgbjsxd

God... It's hard enough to translate improperly typed english on the internet these days. I blame Weeaboos.
6203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

Gundam-Dude wrote:



sddsfddfvsrfnfffffOr efg xdzxdxdxdzszascdc acfszb jo sgbjsxd



Oh god, you just made more sense in that line of text than 45% of the people do on a daily basis using the internet!
14428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

skygod333 wrote:


chikaze wrote:


skygod333 wrote:

Now work on your grammar.


i mean is it important or not dont say some thing pointless

yes.. what sky just said..

What I said isn't pointless. You're supposed to think. Great, you have spelling down to a science. Now work on your grammar (I.E. Punctuation, capitolization etc.). Think next time you brain trust.


Posted 12/22/07

notabigdeal wrote:

Oh god, you just made more sense in that line of text than 45% of the people do on a daily basis using the internet!


Indeed. I concur that more than 60% of the users on CR can not type properly let alone speak proper english.

7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 12/22/07

chikaze wrote:

do you think spelling is important?

example:

u = you



you still can understand


let me put it this way.
Online there is no grammar rule and there are all sorts of inventive ways to talk.
In a formal or essay and school work, English should be used in the appropriate manner, thus showing you have a clear understand of the language.
2986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Soon to be SCAD
Offline
Posted 12/23/07

sagiri007 wrote:


chocofluffywhip wrote:

Everyone seems to be saying that spelling is only important to the extent that it doesn't matter as long as the person can understand you. Well, I ask you this, isn't correct spelling the only way you can make sure someone knows what you're saying?


true, but not everyone's familiar with all the words in the English dictionary. for some of us, English is our 2nd language, so the shorten form n simple grammar can give a better idea of what's expressed.

even i used to be a grammar-freak since schooling (now it's essential for my job) but after chatting on messengers i got used to this shorten form. so i use grammar n spelling thoroughly for work purposes, but for anything else i stick to the shorten form.

just think of it as the 'colloquialism' of the written English, of coz with the emphasis that it should be readable n clearly expressed.




I understand your point with english, however, I said nothing about the language. No matter what you are speaking, if you butcher the word enough people might not understand you. Even if it is spelled phontically.

Example: I was chatting with a friend on aim when she attempted to sell 'scene.' She first tried with sean. Being a common name, I though, "wtf, who's that?" Because she couldn't spell, our conversation halted. We have both been speaking english since birth, btw.

Now, you say that english is not your first language but you understand shorthand. That's fantastic, but clearly you know english well. I've taken french 3 and spanish 2, I could hold a basic conversation. But if the person I was speaking with began using shorthand, there would be nothing I could do. At least if the spoke properly, I could use a translator of some kind.

You say you understand shorthand, so wouldn't you know the original word as well? I don't know how that would work, if you knew 'coz' and not 'because.'

Now, I know I've been emphasizing that you can understand shorthand, but not everyone else can (whether they speak that language or not) Which is why I still argue my point...

Isn't typing with correct spelling and grammar the only way to be positive that they know what you are talking about?
2119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / southern ontario
Offline
Posted 12/23/07

chocofluffywhip wrote:

What he said made perfect sense. Now, you didn't really post your opinion on spelling, so let's assume you are pro IQ. If you believe spelling is for the betterment of the english language (or, any language really) and will in turn give people their respect or approval (yeah, try getting into college with 'tlak') then grammer must also be included. If I sent my letter of intent in as one run on sentace spelled perfectly, they would still toss my application immediatly.



Well thought out, but you spelt sentance wrong.
2986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Soon to be SCAD
Offline
Posted 12/23/07

MidnightTide wrote:


chocofluffywhip wrote:

What he said made perfect sense. Now, you didn't really post your opinion on spelling, so let's assume you are pro IQ. If you believe spelling is for the betterment of the english language (or, any language really) and will in turn give people their respect or approval (yeah, try getting into college with 'tlak') then grammer must also be included. If I sent my letter of intent in as one run on sentace spelled perfectly, they would still toss my application immediatly.



Well thought out, but you spelt sentance wrong.


I said proper spelling was the best way to go, not that I could spell
1444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Space
Offline
Posted 12/23/07
Yeah, spelling's important but it depends if you're using it formally(reports etc) or informally(msn-ing with your friends).
Posted 12/23/07
Alright assholes, listen up. Spelling and grammar are neccesary. Why? Because I don't want to read a bunch of lines of unrelated letters, symbols, numbers, capitols, marks and all around bullshit. It's barely readable. Plus, it takes extra effort to write. Proper spelling and grammar take less time, looks and reads better. This new-age way of typing is shit and totally unacceptable. You ought to be able to look at a post with pride and think nothing but praise for it being so well done. You sound more like a retard with this new-age shit.

What do you have English class for? Exactly for this, making things look neat, proper and all around good. What use is it sitting through the class and not apply the skills you "learned"? It's counter-intuitive, down-right wasteful and shameful to your teachers and yourself. Do us all a favor and make things legible. Don't take extra time to make it look like shit because then, no one will be interested in reading your post.

So, in the name of God, learn your damn grammar.
2119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / southern ontario
Offline
Posted 12/23/07
But what I am trying to say here is at least try and spell correctly - I understand that to some people English is not their first language, but damn it, some people who are born and live in north america can't spell at all, and there is no excuse for it.
Posted 12/23/07

MidnightTide wrote:


chocofluffywhip wrote:

What he said made perfect sense. Now, you didn't really post your opinion on spelling, so let's assume you are pro IQ. If you believe spelling is for the betterment of the english language (or, any language really) and will in turn give people their respect or approval (yeah, try getting into college with 'tlak') then grammer must also be included. If I sent my letter of intent in as one run on sentace spelled perfectly, they would still toss my application immediatly.



Well thought out, but you spelt sentance wrong.


You both spelled it wrong: It's sentence, not sentance; spelled, not spelt.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.