First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Atheist against all Gods? Not really (explained.)
19013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
www.crunchyroll.com
Offline
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09

HumanInstrumentality wrote:


macphapie wrote:

OP spelled a lot of words wrong.




What's with the quote? I know there were misspelled words on my post but I'm too lazy to edit when its still comprehensible.

Also, isn't denying the existence of a god because one is lacking enough evidence not Atheism but Agnosticism? Then OP is actually mixing up the two?
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Wen I say I am an atheist people fail to understand what I am atheist to.

Atheist is the lack of belief in a God or Gods.
CHristians are atheist to pagan gods...


Like many people have already said, atheism is the lack of belief in any and all deities. Saying that a Christian is atheist to other religions is like saying that someone is racist against one specific person. Racism=intolerance of an entire group of people, so you can't be racist if you only dislike one or a few people in that group. Atheism=lack of belief in all gods, so you can't be atheist towards some gods and not others.


As for me if I was to walk up to some native of some Island somewhere, and he pointed to a volcano and said thats his God. (I would not be an Atheist to his god.) For he worships a a volcano. I can See the volcano, I know what it does, and it real. (might not be a god to me, but to him it is. SO no I would not be an atheist to that guys God.

'Most Christians don't understand why I target there religion and not the guy on the Islend god.
It all comes down to what your worshiping, and what you say it did. (see his god we can see. and it did what he said it did.) With the christian god there is 0 evidence for it. There is also no evidence for the clames made about the god and the stories of what it did.
that is why I am an atheist to that type of god.



The guy who worships the volcano believes that it is a conscious being, that it has a brain and free will and decided to do all of the things it did, since that's what a deity is. So yes you can "believe" that the volcano is there, but unless you believe that it is a sentient being, then to you it's just a volcano, to the one guy it is something more, and since you don't believe that it is more than just a volcano then you deny the existence of his god as well.

Don't let the people harassing you about your grammar bother you too much, if that's their only response to you, then they're too dumb to care about, so just ignore them. I know how hard it is to learn a 2nd language (been learning Spanish since I was 5 and I'm still not fluent), must be much harder to learn a 3rd one.




ShroomInferno wrote:
I know that there are a lot of people out there who call themselves Atheists and that there is a minority of Atheists who are always bickering about religions such as Christianity or Islam yet I think that a lot of them are not too well-read on this subject and use the wrong arguments when trying to defy one of the previously mentioned religions. But I've also noticed that a lot of religious folks automatically presume that Atheists are hating on God but they completely ignore the fact that most of those Atheists when speaking of God or the religion itself mostly refer to how it/what is described in the Bible or Koran, or some other script.


As far as I know, most atheists are anti-theists who are against religion. So religious people aren't too presumptuous when they assume that we're all like that, since chances are the only ones they've ever met/heard of are anti-theists.



macphapie wrote:
Also, isn't denying the existence of a god because one is lacking enough evidence not Atheism but Agnosticism? Then OP is actually mixing up the two?

Agnosticism=believing that there is no way to tell if their is or isn't a higher power. Atheism=lack of belief in a higher power. An agnostic's answer to the question "do you believe in god(s)?" would be "I don't know," so if they're denying that gods exist then they are sure of their lack of believe, so they are atheist.
2279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Omnipresent
Offline
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

Wen I say I am an atheist people fail to understand what I am atheist to.

Atheist is the lack of belief in a God or Gods.
CHristians are atheist to pagan gods...


As for me if I was to walk up to some native of some Island somewhere, and he pointed to a volcano and said thats his God. (I would not be an Atheist to his god.) For he worships a a volcano. I can See the volcano, I know what it does, and it real. (might not be a god to me, but to him it is. SO no I would not be an atheist to that guys God.


Ok.....


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

With the christian god there is 0 evidence for it. There is also no evidence for the clames made about the god and the stories of what it did.
that is why I am an atheist to that type of god.



Religion needs no evidence if it only for the morale good and it is just faith. YOu cannot prove faith wrong or right as it is logically mind numbing.

Posted 4/19/09
^ Well true that, especially on the internet. But questioning or doubting the coherence of religious bibliography isn't all that wrong either. But I'll have to agree that most Atheists are quite aggressive when trying to get their point across..but the same goes for a lot of religious folks. Their bigotry is horrific. You reap what you sow.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09
This is why you simply evade religious discussion on the internet. It is extremely pointless. You won't change anyone's mind and at most you'll just end up getting mad.

Darkphoenix: I'd bother to explain why YOU are wrong but a lot of other people have stepped in and kindly explained how your statements are full of logical fallacies and misunderstanding of what being an atheist means.

559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09
DarkPhoenix might not be wrong on his reasoning. True that he used the word "atheist" with a "limiter" imposed on it but that does not make him completely wrong. He denied the existence of gods which makes him Atheist. He used the word "atheist towards other religions" to describe Christians. Is not that right though? He clearly made the exception of the Christian God. He defined his own word by using it in a very small spectrum. His mixed-up use of the words were also defined by him despite his lack of proper spelling. He had his own meaning of "atheist" based on the dictionary "atheist."
He did not have a misunderstanding (slight, actually, on his "volcano god" example, but it is not particularly on the "atheist" but more to the "god") about atheism. We miscomprehended his post and ignored the apparent definitions he included. Maybe we are too dedicated to proving him wrong when we do not completely know what he is asserting and we do not even read his argument properly?

As for the atheist community, it might just be this bad on the Internet because of animosity and bigotry of the sides.I have yet to see an atheist in real life to actually bash a Christian based on their personal beliefs. Well, with some noticeable exceptions. People who hate Christians might not even be atheists. I wonder why.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09
Imposing a limiter to atheism is inherently wrong; it distortions what the word atheism stands for (denial of ALL deities, no exceptions). The concept "atheist towards other religions" is a logical fallacy as the correct term would be a "non believer towards other religions" but by holding ANY faith one CANNOT possible be an atheist.Also, his "slight" misunderstanding could be considered quite big. Relating a physical object to an actual deity is a big mistake.

I understand the man is limited by the fact that English is his third language. However, this does not give him an excuse to come in and start saying nonsense (because that is basically what he is stating; we'd have to redefine quite a few concepts before his reasoning is anywhere near correct) and then claiming that he is actually right.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09

jewishplayer wrote:

He used the word "atheist towards other religions" to describe Christians. Is not that right though?


No, "atheist" is not the right word to use in this scenario. Atheism is the lack of believe in any and all divine beings. So if someone is Christian then they believe in God, who is a divine being, so they can't be atheist at all. Instead of "Christians are atheist towards other gods," a better way to phrase it would be "Christians don't believe in other gods."


He had his own meaning of "atheist" based on the dictionary "atheist."

He gave the word "atheist" a different definition that's not in any dictionary, when there is already a word that describes what he was trying to say: "non-believer." So he may not have a misunderstanding of atheism, but he used the word in the wrong context.

197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Tokyo-3
Offline
Posted 4/19/09

spensaur wrote:



the whole not believing in anything line threw me
197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Tokyo-3
Offline
Posted 4/19/09

macphapie wrote:


HumanInstrumentality wrote:


macphapie wrote:

OP spelled a lot of words wrong.




What's with the quote? I know there were misspelled words on my post but I'm too lazy to edit when its still comprehensible.

Also, isn't denying the existence of a god because one is lacking enough evidence not Atheism but Agnosticism? Then OP is actually mixing up the two?


when i quote without saying anything it means the same as "qft". just i don't put the qft
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09


He actually used it correctly provided that his "limiter" was taken into consideration. He based it on the dictionary definition while limiting it to only one who believes into a God but does not believe on any other gods. Which is the definition of "atheist" while ignoring the Christian belief of a God. So he did use it at the right context but we ignored his textual cues.


He gave the word "atheist" a different definition that's not in any dictionary, when there is already a word that describes what he was trying to say: "non-believer."


There are. But he used a long way of stating it: by providing something that would cut the definition of atheist into something very specific instead of a vague idea of no belief in any kind of supreme being. He did mention he is not an English-speaking person. Which is probably easily seen through his misspellings.


Instead of "Christians are atheist towards other gods," a better way to phrase it would be "Christians don't believe in other gods."


It is better that way but it does not make much of a difference if you consider his spelling and language. At least he is capable of using other words to convey his meanings even though it is somewhat a modified version of the original diction.

Maybe we are too harsh on him because we use different styles of writing than he does. He has his own dialect, which is nice, but what I find singular is his kindness to actually include the definitions of the words he uses in the form of context cues instead of direct meanings, unconsciously or otherwise.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 4/19/09
We should discuss Quine while we're at it. Some lovely things he has to say.
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09
1) Aggressive atheist: attacks other religions and is often intolerant to the follower of other religions. Often brings up the insensitive fact that faith is the "complete acceptance of a God without proof," somewhat equatable to ignorance, which, among other things, is the "complete acceptance of an idea without proof."

Yep, that's him. No offense.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/19/09 , edited 4/19/09

Gaia93 wrote:

1) Aggressive atheist: attacks other religions and is often intolerant to the follower of other religions. Often brings up the insensitive fact that faith is the "complete acceptance of a God without proof," somewhat equatable to ignorance, which, among other things, is the "complete acceptance of an idea without proof."

Yep, that's him. No offense.


Those are the retarded atheists, don't take them seriously, there no different from a christain extremest. They're all idiots.
Posted 4/19/09

Allhailodin wrote:


Gaia93 wrote:

1) Aggressive atheist: attacks other religions and is often intolerant to the follower of other religions. Often brings up the insensitive fact that faith is the "complete acceptance of a God without proof," somewhat equatable to ignorance, which, among other things, is the "complete acceptance of an idea without proof."

Yep, that's him. No offense.


Those are the retarded atheists, don't take them seriously, there no different from a christain extremest.


Yeah, but I think christain extremest are even worst.
Have you ever been to a holy sanctified church? (Probably not).
They'll rip you apart.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.