First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Torture for interrogations.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
Torture is a very effective method of interrogation. It's been used it the past, and i think it should be being used now, I think it's a great way to get people to talk, its effective and usually quick. So why is it illegal now ? It shouldn't be illegal, it should be legal, so why isn't it ? What's wrong with torture as a interrogation method ? Thoughts.
13847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I am in a hut, ga...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
Because then the laws that say you can't hurt someone unless in self defense would be hypocritical.

There ARE cases where police hit people for information ~
It's called Police brutality, and is also illegal.

2809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
Well, I hadn't really thought about it until i saw the movie Slumdog Millionaire.
I mean, what happens if the person has nothing to say and is actually innocent?? That would be like getting tortured to death for absolutley no reason and that's not right. And if the person is guilty, i'm sure there are many other effective ways to get them to talk...
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
Torture should actually be legal so sadists will have the freedom to pursue their happiness, and for masochists to have a den. It opens more jobs. Apply now while offers last.
1718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

I think that torture is needed in some extreme cases like when someone is suspected to kill thousands, and the act can be stopped. But torture to be legalized? So every time you cross the red light officer has right to beat the confession out of you? In middle ages, when torture was "legal" method, hundreds of supposed witches were burned or hanged after they all "confessed" kissing the devils a** and whatnot to gain otherwordly powers, after brutal tortures. So, when torture is applied there is huge chance that information will be wrong or fabricated, just to stop or delay further degrading. And who will stop the tortures to punish people even after they confessed? It is easy to say: well he confessed this, hmm, what else was he up to? Etc, etc. Torture was abolished, and any country which promotes human rights, freedom and equality should not be guilty of those crimes. If it is, difference between them and their enemies is nonexistant.

In the end, in my humble opinion, I think that it is sad that we still live in the world where torture is not only applied by supposed democratic nations, but it is also, in some cases, necessary.
Posted 4/20/09
i don't think its a good idea really
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
lol do you just look for ways to express how immoral you are?

No torture shouldn't ever be allowed because it's wrong. And it's not reliable at all, if someone is tortured enough they will say anything to make the pain stop. Lots of false information has come from torture.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09

Yei wrote:

lol do you just look for ways to express how immoral you are?

No torture shouldn't ever be allowed because it's wrong. And it's not reliable at all, if someone is tortured enough they will say anything to make the pain stop. Lots of false information has come from torture.


Nah, Im not refering to whipping and slicing of people cause your right, thats exactly what they do, say anything to make it stop. i mean stuff like waterboarding, when you blindfold em and dunk their head under water for a while making em think their gonna drown when their not, thats the kinda stuff im talking about, I probally should have been more specific when i made the topic tho i guess, should go back and edit it.. But when you waterboard someone they don't actually suffer or feel pain from anything, you just scare the info out of them so to speak, now is there anything wrong with that ? I don't think so.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

Allhailodin wrote:


Yei wrote:

lol do you just look for ways to express how immoral you are?

No torture shouldn't ever be allowed because it's wrong. And it's not reliable at all, if someone is tortured enough they will say anything to make the pain stop. Lots of false information has come from torture.


Nah, Im not refering to whipping and slicing of people cause your right, thats exactly what they do, say anything to make it stop. i mean stuff like waterboarding, when you blindfold em and dunk their head under water for a while making em think their gonna drown when their not, thats the kinda stuff im talking about, I probally should have been more specific when i made the topic tho i guess, should go back and edit it.. But when you waterboard someone they don't actually suffer or feel pain from anything, you just scare the info out of them so to speak, now is there anything wrong with that ? I don't think so.


Actually water boarding is torture....

They do suffer and feel pain, it's basically controlled drowning. They are drowning but they are not allowed to die. It's one of the most retarded interrogation methods because you can't say anything while water is being poured into your mouth, how is a person supposed to confess or give any information while that's happening? And just like all torture, they will say anything to make it stop, it's very cruel.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

Yei wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:


Yei wrote:

lol do you just look for ways to express how immoral you are?

No torture shouldn't ever be allowed because it's wrong. And it's not reliable at all, if someone is tortured enough they will say anything to make the pain stop. Lots of false information has come from torture.


Nah, Im not refering to whipping and slicing of people cause your right, thats exactly what they do, say anything to make it stop. i mean stuff like waterboarding, when you blindfold em and dunk their head under water for a while making em think their gonna drown when their not, thats the kinda stuff im talking about, I probally should have been more specific when i made the topic tho i guess, should go back and edit it.. But when you waterboard someone they don't actually suffer or feel pain from anything, you just scare the info out of them so to speak, now is there anything wrong with that ? I don't think so.


Actually water boarding is torture....

They do suffer and feel pain, it's basically controlled drowning. They are drowning but they are not allowed to die. It's one of the most retarded interrogation methods because you can't say anything while water is being poured into your mouth, how is a person supposed to confess or give any information while that's happening? And just like all torture, they will say anything to make it stop, it's very cruel.


Well, its not torture like being whipped or cut with stuff, however from what i've heard it's actually a very effective method of interrogation, and water isn't poured into their mouth, you get something like a tub of water, and dunk their head in it, for idk I wanna say a minute, minute and a half, not long enough to kill them, but long enough to make em think their going to die, It's not as brutal as whipping or slicing them, but its still effective, and if they refuse to say anything after you've dunked em underwater, you just do it again and again until they say what you need em to say. I'm not really talking about if its cruel or not, it is cruel, I know it's really cruel, but I'm asking more about effectiveness. if torture would be a effective interrogation method or not.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

Allhailodin wrote:
Well, its not torture like being whipped or cut with stuff, however from what i've heard it's actually a very effective method of interrogation, and water isn't poured into their mouth, you get something like a tub of water, and dunk their head in it, for idk I wanna say a minute, minute and a half, not long enough to kill them, but long enough to make em think their going to die, It's not as brutal as whipping or slicing them, but its still effective, and if they refuse to say anything after you've dunked em underwater, you just do it again and again until they say what you need em to say. I'm not really talking about if its cruel or not, it is cruel, I know it's really cruel, but I'm asking more about effectiveness. if torture would be a effective interrogation method or not.


This is waterboarding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZDsG0lYOs

The victim is strapped down so he can't move at all and the table they are strapped to is tilted up so they are almost upside down. Water is poured on their face, filling their mouth and lungs. It is torture, period. And like all torture, it's not effective, because if the person is innocent and doesn't know anything, they keep doing it to them. And eventually they die or make up something to say to stop the torture. That's why torture in general doesn't work and is wrong, if the person really doesn't have the answers they are looking for, what's the point?
102489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Paradise⌒☆
Offline
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09

Allhailodin wrote:

Torture is a very effective method of interrogation. It's been used it the past, and i think it should be being used now, I think it's a great way to get people to talk, its effective and usually quick. So why is it illegal now ? It shouldn't be illegal, it should be legal, so why isn't it ? What's wrong with torture as a interrogation method ? Thoughts.


I like your way of thinking
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

Yei wrote:


Allhailodin wrote:
Well, its not torture like being whipped or cut with stuff, however from what i've heard it's actually a very effective method of interrogation, and water isn't poured into their mouth, you get something like a tub of water, and dunk their head in it, for idk I wanna say a minute, minute and a half, not long enough to kill them, but long enough to make em think their going to die, It's not as brutal as whipping or slicing them, but its still effective, and if they refuse to say anything after you've dunked em underwater, you just do it again and again until they say what you need em to say. I'm not really talking about if its cruel or not, it is cruel, I know it's really cruel, but I'm asking more about effectiveness. if torture would be a effective interrogation method or not.


This is waterboarding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZDsG0lYOs

The victim is strapped down so he can't move at all and the table they are strapped to is tilted up so they are almost upside down. Water is poured on their face, filling their mouth and lungs. It is torture, period. And like all torture, it's not effective, because if the person is innocent and doesn't know anything, they keep doing it to them. And eventually they die or make up something to say to stop the torture. That's why torture in general doesn't work and is wrong, if the person really doesn't have the answers they are looking for, what's the point?


Well what if the suspect isn't innocent ? I mean sure it might happen to a few innocent people, but that's to be expected, nobody's perfect right ? Can't expect em to not get a few innocent people, it's bound to happen. But what if they deserved to be tortured ? Like if they brutally murdered a child or several children ? In that case, they deserve to be tortured. So if they do deserve it, then is there still a problem ? If they deserved it, why does it matter how you treat them ?
10694 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
the thing is with torture is that the information you get might not always be right. there are some instances where interrogators torture someone who just doesn't know anything. there are also many times when they get false confessions out of people. when you're suffering an unbearable amount of pain, you'll say any shit you can to get out of the situation. sometimes YOU don't even know what you said is true or not.

basically torture is NOT a reliable source for information.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/28585/?page=entire

^^ an article that explains why torture does NOT work.
559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Feminism is made...
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
They normally torture people for interrogation when they already have the information pertaining to that person being involved into something. It is highly stupid to assume that they will pick a random person and torture him to say something.
Tortures, including psychological, are very effective ways of gaining information. Fear is one of those things that make people obey. True that there are alternatives, but as Allhailodin implied, it is the efficiency that is at stake, not the alternatives nor the cruelty of it.

Why would an innocent be tortured to begin with? It is not the Middle Ages anymore. Torturing someone at whim is for sadists, not for interrogations. There is a discrepancy between the two.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.