First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why Sony can't cut the Playstation 3's Price.
21056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09
This is a very strong insightful article I found about why the PS3's price can't be cut.
Please, no flame wars, rude comments and the like, save that in the private chat rooms and the gaming sites. Obviously, CR doesn't need it here ;)
I wanted to show this article because this is the main reason why the PS3's price cannot be cut, and until they do, no money is made.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=9769


P.S. The Playstation brand, whether you like it or not, has always pushed the industry forward in different ways. The PS2 started the "casual market" until the Wii nurtured and now, dominated it. All PS systems (except PSP) have pushed physical media forward (PS1 for CD, PS2 for DVDs and now, PS3 for Blu-ray). And lastly, the PSP was the first portable handheld to actually somewhat eat into Nintendo's dominance of the market, and although the DSi and DS Lite outsell the PSP worldwide 2:1, the PSP has accomplished an amazing feat.
There's a lot more, but although I sound like a PS Fanboy, I'm not, Nintendo and Microsoft's consoles, I have a heart and open arms for them also.

P.P.S. This is not my work, just to let you know. It is obviously credited to the guy who researched on this topic thoroughly and presented the information quite nicely. If you don't understand, that's fine, as long as you get the overall idea or message of what he is trying to tell you, you're all good.

66534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Flushing,NY
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
and do forget that is brought us some of the mose beloved titles still loved today-
rachet and clank
spyro(before Insomniac Games sold the series)
jak and dexter
god of war
legend of dragoon
disgaea
sly cooper
crash bandicoot
DMC
F.F(well entendo had the first games but ever since they entered the PS they got more fame)
K.H
.hack//
tail concerto
and many many more rpgs that have names that nobody can spell right on the first try
312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Newport News
Offline
Posted 4/20/09
IF THEY CUT THE PRICE I WOULD TOTALLY BUY ONE!
32002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09
If I'm not mistaken, they do cut prices but it usually tends to be region cuts, not across the board. So a price cut may be for example, limited to US sold PS3s only and does not apply to PS3s sold in other countries.

The recent announcement to cut PS3 prices further still didn't bear any fruit as well. Sony still reports increased sales this year though but has withheld the numbers from the public. All we have to go with now are extrapolation and rough industry estimates.

Note that not all PS3s are made in Japan, some are made in other countries as well, mainly China(but based in Taiwan). Analysis should also take into consideration the cost of production in "third-party" countries and equate currency disparities (Yen vs Renminbi) to that country as well, rather than just focusing on Japan as the sole supplier of the console. Assuming the circumstances are favorable, and that a considerable amount of the PS3 consoles exported to US are made primarily in China, the dip in profits gained by Sony(Japan) would not be as devastating as one would have thought.

Sony still lives by it's code of having in-house games (20 : 80) developed primarily on their console, which was pretty much also a reason why the PS2 used to have poor sales (like what the PS3 is currently), before flourishing as the most popular last-gen console and is still going strong today. Sony hopes to replicate this phenomena with the PS3 but from several perspectives, it's not going quite as planned it seems.

Well they have taken temporary measures to boost their sales I guess. And the move to woo in developers for the console should help if the campaign is successful. Also note that Sony is also trying to sell off the media features the PS3 has to offer like providing the new h.264 high quality, low bitrate codec which is able to take advantage of the console's processing power.

Well E3 is just around the corner and SCEA's John Koller has this to say:

SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller is expecting this year’s E3 to be one of the most significant for the company in the last 11 years.

“It’s going to be a big E3,” Koller told VG247, talking at GDC.

“We’ve just started planning what the announcements will be, but I’ve been here for 11 years: this will be one of the larger E3s in terms of software and just discussions about where we’re going from a brand perspective and where each of the platforms is headed.”

It’s widely rumoured that PlayStation’s biggest brands are going to be megatonning Sony’s E3 press conference in June, and Koller did nothing to dampen expectation.

“I think some of the big announcements are going to come of the software side. We talked a bit at Destination PlayStation, and came out with about half of the PSP line-up, maybe even less, and the balance we’re going to be talking about in the months leading up to e3 and at E3,” he said.

“The same goes for PS3. There’s a really strong line-up of games that’s going to help drive a lot of business.”

Bring. It. On. E3 takes place in LA in the first week of June.

If they can make it big at this year's E3, things might look up for the PS3.

Also another noteworthy quote:

“There’s certainly a line-up of very strong family-friendly titles that we’re looking at for PS3 in our continuing effort to appeal to that casual consumer,” said SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller, speaking at GDC.


And here's a related picture of one of their marketing strategies.
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09
I think they should have sticked with the 60GB backwards compatible.
Honestly I think Its the xbox360 (microsoft) thats having a big impact on the ps3.

I can't believe final fantasy will be on xbox 360. :[
big no no
1778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

CallmeHoku wrote:

I think they should have sticked with the 60GB backwards compatible.
Honestly I think Its the xbox360 (microsoft) thats having a big impact on the ps3.

I can't believe final fantasy will be on xbox 360. :[
big no no


you got to be f*cking kidding me! is XIII will be on the 360?
I just recently watched the new trailer and Demo of XIII and said that FFXIII will be on the both platforms
6470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

jamfoxs wrote:


CallmeHoku wrote:

I think they should have sticked with the 60GB backwards compatible.
Honestly I think Its the xbox360 (microsoft) thats having a big impact on the ps3.

I can't believe final fantasy will be on xbox 360. :[
big no no


you got to be f*cking kidding me! is XIII will be on the 360?
I just recently watched the new trailer and Demo of XIII and said that FFXIII will be on the both platforms


Yeah, they announced it a while ago that it will be on both platforms. I believe that the 360 version is a port version of the PS3. However, Versus XIII remains a PS3 exclusive.
1778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/09

Rhythmix wrote:


jamfoxs wrote:


CallmeHoku wrote:

I think they should have sticked with the 60GB backwards compatible.
Honestly I think Its the xbox360 (microsoft) thats having a big impact on the ps3.

I can't believe final fantasy will be on xbox 360. :[
big no no


you got to be f*cking kidding me! is XIII will be on the 360?
I just recently watched the new trailer and Demo of XIII and said that FFXIII will be on the both platforms


Yeah, they announced it a while ago that it will be on both platforms. I believe that the 360 version is a port version of the PS3. However, Versus XIII remains a PS3 exclusive.


you got me nervous LOL...XIII versus is still unknown to me...because idk what it is like because the trailers didn't show any in game battles or maybe it will be the same as the XIII in the same universe
6470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/09 , edited 4/20/09

jamfoxs wrote:
you got me nervous LOL...XIII versus is still unknown to me...because idk what it is like because the trailers didn't show any in game battles or maybe it will be the same as the XIII in the same universe


It's going to be in a different universe. If I remember correctly the people who are developing Versus XIII are the same people who developed Kingdom Hearts. So it's to be looked forward to that Versus XIII will have the same or similar Battle System as Kingdom Hearts which would be pretty bad ass.
Posted 4/21/09
ff xiii would be on ps3 and xbox 360??? ugh i nid to have one!!!!! i`ll juz buy a ps3(if they would cut the price) and have ff xiii and ff7 advent complete ^^
66534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Flushing,NY
Offline
Posted 4/21/09

johnsilva9 wrote:

ff xiii would be on ps3 and xbox 360??? ugh i nid to have one!!!!! i`ll juz buy a ps3(if they would cut the price) and have ff xiii and ff7 advent complete ^^


7354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Home
Offline
Posted 4/21/09
i dont know cause its sony ......u gotta give em credit they had a lot of previous success ......i dont think the ps3 has hit its stride yet once it does i think the price will go down
197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Tokyo-3
Offline
Posted 4/21/09
the ps3 is the classiest system. you can't have the common riff raff pickin it up for cheap
102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/22/09
You really can't lower the price tag on a PS3. In fact, considering the hardware it's made out of, the price really doesn't seem very bad at all.

Of course, one must also consider that it is meant to be a console, so maybe Sony just overdid things a bit. I mean comon, the PS3 is so powerful (and cheap when compared to computers with similar specs), that lots of hackers have used it for POC's, and actual demonstrations of attacks/cracks.

Posted 4/22/09

Decemberdoom wrote:

You really can't lower the price tag on a PS3. In fact, considering the hardware it's made out of, the price really doesn't seem very bad at all.

Of course, one must also consider that it is meant to be a console, so maybe Sony just overdid things a bit. I mean comon, the PS3 is so powerful (and cheap when compared to computers with similar specs), that lots of hackers have used it for POC's, and actual demonstrations of attacks/cracks.



that's all true. but remember it's all about profit. sony has been losing a lot of profit with the ps3. their stock has gone down since they first announced the 600 dollar price back in wat 05 or 06. so sony right now is playing it safe. oh and if you also want to know why sony doesen't add backwards compatibility is so you could by their lackluster games. it has been stated before that it costs them nothing to apply it to the counsil but they don't wanna. now don't mistake me for a hatter or a fan boy, I heart my 60 gig ps3 that could play my old games. it's just that they need to steep it up a notch, big time.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.