First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Do Americans Take America for Granted
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
I’ve been to well over thirty American states. I’ve also visited a total of four different nations. I grew up in Germany and then moved to Washington State. Later I spent time in Canada, and then Mexico.

I’ve gathered from my travels that America is a very, very easy place to live in. There is no place, in my opinion, more convenient. I’m not saying America is better than other nations. I find the death penalty to be fascistic, and I think that partial birth abortion is primitive. Yet, America still supports capital punishment as well as torture, and it has the most liberal abortion laws in the world.

Even still, Americans enjoy a greater measure of freedom than the citizens of almost any other nation. During my time in Europe I absorbed a lot of German culture. Germany is a profound part of who I am, and I love that nation very much. Never the less, I wouldn’t want to live there. It’s a great place to visit but I’ve gotten used to the American lifestyle.

The German government has a tendency towards environmental fascism. They sacrifice individual rights and convenience for the great good of our planet. They force you to recycle; stores don’t even sell trash cans. You’re not even allowed to leave your vehicle running. That means that it’s a serious crime to warm your car up in the morning. So, if you want to take your kids to school one bitter-cold winter morning, they’re just going to have to tough it out.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it is completely annoying. Plus, German law is actually more brutal than American law. In America if you struggle with a police officer and they slam you on the hood of their car too hard they can be suspended for unnecessary force. In Germany the police officers can beat you at their discretion.

Information is also readily available in America. In Germany you can be arrested for looking up information on the Nazi holocaust. Freedom of speech is also more available to Americans than it is most of the world’s population.

In Canada you can be arrested for expressing a controversial opinion. It’s a serious crime to say that homosexuals go to hell. You can be arrested for flipping somebody off, or for saying that scientology is a cult. The premise behind this is that people have a right to go on with life without being verbally abused, and that’s true. But the law is so universal that it doesn’t draw a line between expressing controversial opinions and harassment-American law does.

That’s not to say that American law is in any way superior. In America it’s illegal to sleep with a prostitute…unless you film it. You see, if you film it then its pornography and pornography is protected by the first amendment. In America, marijuana is illegal but we’re allowed to own flamethrowers and chain guns. As I said before, we still kill our prisoners. These are errors in our system.

I’m seriously not saying America is better than any other nation, I’m not. I am saying that I think Americans have life very easy. Life here is easier than it is in any other nation, and you’ve got more freedom in America than any other nation. But, nobody seems to notice. Do you think Americans take the convenience of American life for granted?
36195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
I didn't bother reading the essay, but i could believe that. Yes, indeed american's might take america for granted, not only that but their families as well. I believe that for the most part, american's in general are very ignorant people. Rather.. depressing, but meh, what ever :O.. I agree.
Posted 4/24/09
yeah most people do in America...
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Well, ignorance is relative. People are pragmatic, they only want to learn things relevant to them. Life in Germany isn’t relevant to most people in America who’ll never see it. So, yeah, they’re relatively ignorant concerning Germany. As far as literacy rate, depending on your source Americans are either in the top ten or bellow the top fifty. I can’t tell you which is more reliable, but considering that we’re the richest nation in the world-even with our debt-it’s inexcusable that we’re not number one. (in my opinion.) But, life here is still the best.
16178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In my fantasies.
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
People usually take things for granted when they’ve stayed in their own circle for too long and didn’t realise the world outside it. Isn’t it a fact that most americans (Not saying all) live pretty near on where they were born? So, it will be a pretty common trend, that since they weren’t able to experience life outside america, they’ll just consider their lifestyle normal and won’t appreciate it as much as an immigrant coming to the US. People has to experience the worse or see the worst before they can completely realise the advantages their life holds.
13847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I am in a hut, ga...
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
I'm not American but from what i've seen and heard, Americans are very ignorant.

10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/09

Animelovexx wrote:

I'm not American but from what i've seen and heard, Americans are very ignorant.



That's kind of an ignorant comment. The United States has the third largest population of any nation in the world. We’re a significant portion of the earth’s population, and it’d be silly to generalize all of us in together. Where are you from, anyhowser?
13847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I am in a hut, ga...
Offline
Posted 4/24/09

SeraphAlford wrote:


Animelovexx wrote:

I'm not American but from what i've seen and heard, Americans are very ignorant.



That's kind of an ignorant comment. The United States has the third largest population of any nation in the world. We’re a significant portion of the earth’s population, and it’d be silly to generalize all of us in together. Where are you from, anyhowser?


It's not unusual for people from the same place to share the same traits

I am from New Zealand.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 4/24/09 , edited 4/24/09
Life is not easy for all Americans in America. There's plenty of people in America who would love to give up their right to say "I hate black people" so that they can eat multiple times every day, instead of only once every other day. Or give up their right to leave their car running so that they can have warm clothes and a roof over their head.



Animelovexx wrote:

It's not unusual for people from the same place to share the same traits


That doesn't mean all people from that place have those traits. That kind of thinking is how stereotypes and prejudice germinate.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
"American life" is a very general and incorrect view. Seraph, you need to categorize what you mean. I think you're referring to the stereotypical lives of middle-class white Americans and up.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/09 , edited 4/24/09

leviathan343 wrote:

"American life" is a very general and incorrect view. Seraph, you need to categorize what you mean. I think you're referring to the stereotypical lives of middle-class white Americans and up.


I’m not referencing any form of stereotype. We live in something like a salad bowl of culture, not a melting pot like the UK. That’s why classifying terms like “African American,” are sometimes necessary. In England you don’t call a black man “African British,” you just call him “British,” like everyone else.

It is true that our nation is immensely diverse. However, we do have a relative ethos. I do not think ‘American life’ is an incorrect term, though it is clearly general. You see, poverty is universal. There’s poverty in Germany, in America, and all across the world. But, regardless of your class or color Americans all share the benefits I mentioned above-and many more that are essentially exclusive to this nation.

Being poor in America may not be as nice as being middle-class in America, in fact it’s clearly not, but it’s still easier and more convenient than being lower class in Germany in my opinion. In Germany they'll keep you alive better than in America, but they'll also keep you poor. You'll get trapped on welfare programs.

Some people are caught in the cracks and seem to be victims of circumstance. That’s true anywhere, regardless of nationality or class. Still, international polls show that more lower class Americans identify themselves as being ‘happy,’ than lower class citizens of other nations, and more can honestly see themselves climbing the financial and social ladders.

I’m just now getting into college. I have a GED. I’ve spent my life slacking off and getting into trouble, and yet I’m getting a scholar-ship and two wonderful loans. Seriously, you get a scholarship for having a GED simply because the government wants to encourage more ‘untraditional students.’

I cannot tell you how unbelievably easy it was for me to get into college. We have so many educational opportunities here that it’s astounding. No matter who you are you can find a college that’ll accept you and work with you. You just have to look, and not even that hard. They’re all around us! Getting from poverty to that stereotypical class in America is not a real challenge if you knuckle down and do it.

People doubt themselves. They doubt themselves and they doubt the system and they lack motivation. Once you start to find some faith and encouragement you can do ANYTHING you want in America. I don’t care who you are. A biracial child born to a single mother on welfare can become our president. A small town nobody can become a major celebrity. Bill gates started out in a garage, and now he’s one of the richest and most influential men in the world.

Oklahoma has one of the highest rates of poverty, meth abuse, illiteracy, obesity, child obesity, single parenthood, and teen pregnancy. It produces more astronauts than any other state. It gave us The Grapes of Wraths, Brad Pitt, Sam Walton, and Chuck Norris.

This nation makes succeeding SO much easier than other nations.
10694 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
of course americans take america for granted. people take many things for granted. many americans, especially ones that are native born, have never lived outside america in a country where their individual freedoms are severely limited or where the standard of living is terribly low. without that sort of experience it can be difficult to fully understand how well off we are.
draggt 
62566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Michigan City, IN
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Truthfully i hate living here. And alot of people tell me "IF you dont like it get the hell out" well you know what if i could afford it i would >.<
Posted 4/24/09
Because we have everything, people forget how we got here in the first place.
People have forgotten their morals, what their ancestors have done to make this country the way it is now.
So yes, I do think we take our country for granted, but we're not the only ones.
2633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New York City, NY
Offline
Posted 4/25/09 , edited 4/25/09

SeraphAlford wrote:


leviathan343 wrote:

"American life" is a very general and incorrect view. Seraph, you need to categorize what you mean. I think you're referring to the stereotypical lives of middle-class white Americans and up.


I’m not referencing any form of stereotype. We live in something like a salad bowl of culture, not a melting pot like the UK. That’s why classifying terms like “African American,” are sometimes necessary. In England you don’t call a black man “African British,” you just call him “British,” like everyone else.

It is true that our nation is immensely diverse. However, we do have a relative ethos. I do not think ‘American life’ is an incorrect term, though it is clearly general. You see, poverty is universal. There’s poverty in Germany, in America, and all across the world. But, regardless of your class or color Americans all share the benefits I mentioned above-and many more that are essentially exclusive to this nation.

Being poor in America may not be as nice as being middle-class in America, in fact it’s clearly not, but it’s still easier and more convenient than being lower class in Germany in my opinion. In Germany they'll keep you alive better than in America, but they'll also keep you poor. You'll get trapped on welfare programs.

Some people are caught in the cracks and seem to be victims of circumstance. That’s true anywhere, regardless of nationality or class. Still, international polls show that more lower class Americans identify themselves as being ‘happy,’ than lower class citizens of other nations, and more can honestly see themselves climbing the financial and social ladders.

I’m just now getting into college. I have a GED. I’ve spent my life slacking off and getting into trouble, and yet I’m getting a scholar-ship and two wonderful loans. Seriously, you get a scholarship for having a GED simply because the government wants to encourage more ‘untraditional students.’

I cannot tell you how unbelievably easy it was for me to get into college. We have so many educational opportunities here that it’s astounding. No matter who you are you can find a college that’ll accept you and work with you. You just have to look, and not even that hard. They’re all around us! Getting from poverty to that stereotypical class in America is not a real challenge if you knuckle down and do it.

People doubt themselves. They doubt themselves and they doubt the system and they lack motivation. Once you start to find some faith and encouragement you can do ANYTHING you want in America. I don’t care who you are. A biracial child born to a single mother on welfare can become our president. A small town nobody can become a major celebrity. Bill gates started out in a garage, and now he’s one of the richest and most influential men in the world.

Oklahoma has one of the highest rates of poverty, meth abuse, illiteracy, obesity, child obesity, single parenthood, and teen pregnancy. It produces more astronauts than any other state. It gave us The Grapes of Wraths, Brad Pitt, Sam Walton, and Chuck Norris.

This nation makes succeeding SO much easier than other nations.


Please keep responses short, I can't address all of that you know.

Several things I'm going to have to point out later that I believe are wrong with this post.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.