First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Origin of cursing/cussing
1393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/24/09 , edited 4/24/09
Why is cursing/cussing bad? Does it say it in the bible that its bad or is it because it just is? Where did bad words come from?Ive wondered this for a while.
Posted 4/24/09

RainingWolf wrote:

Why is cursing/cussing bad? Does it say it in the bible that its bad or is it because it just is? Where did bad words come from?Ive wondered this for a while.


think abt it those words have such a negative meaning thats why therer bad ...n yea it does well im muslkim but cursing is wrong in islam too....lolill admit i still curse a bit....but origin i got no idea LOL
1393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Yeah there bad when there meant to be bad i guess. Like why do alot of adults not like cussin like teachers and stuff. For example, the word shit. Its just another word for poop or crap so y is it bad? U know what im sayin?
102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
I'm pretty sure that these words just came out of a need to express strong emotion. For example, if you say

FUCK!!!!

In English, you probably don't mean the literal definition, but saying it another way, you could. Same with Shit, Cunt, Bitch, Bastard, etc.

I'm not positive, but in other languages, "Swear Words" don't actually have a meaning, like they do in English.

For example, in Polish, I'm pretty sure there is no literal meaning for

Kurwa (pronouced Currva)
, yet it is generally viewed as the worst swear. (There's some other words you could mix and match together which would sound similar to it, but I've never heard a literal meaning for the word.)

And, just cause the Bible says something is bad, doesn't neccessarily mean it is. Remember that according to the "original" ten commandments, which there were really several hundred of, were certainly brutal, and disgusting.

I think people have just categorized these words as bad simply because they are used the way they are used in order to express a strong emotion, that is usually very negative, and meant to be offensive.
19849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Who gives a crap, with society and morals going down the shitter slowly but definitely surely, curse words are going to be an essential part of language that no barricade will be able to stop anymore.
2449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 支仓
Offline
Posted 4/24/09 , edited 4/24/09
It says in the bible Samson rips a Jackass' jawbone off and slaughters an army with it.
Posted 4/24/09
Posted 4/24/09

Skeithcruor wrote:

It says in the bible Samson rips a Jackass' jawbone off and slaughters an army with it.


You know Jackass means donkey, right? It's only a curse word if you use it that way.
Like when you say, "You Jackass!" you're using as an offensive term.
A lot of curse words are that way, like:
Bitch = a female dog.
Bastard = a person without a father.
Hell = refering to that place underground.
They're only curse words if you use them that way.
2449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 支仓
Offline
Posted 4/24/09

Gaia93 wrote:


Skeithcruor wrote:

It says in the bible Samson rips a Jackass' jawbone off and slaughters an army with it.


You know Jackass means donkey, right? It's only a curse word if you use it that way.
Like when you say, "You Jackass!" you're using as an offensive term.
A lot of curse words are that way, like:
Bitch = a female dog.
Bastard = a person without a father.
Hell = refering to that place underground.
They're only curse words if you use them that way.


I know that but it literally said Jackass in that section or it was some other word that was also a 'bad' word. Besides ask anyone I put in a LOT of 'bad' words while describing things.
42932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/24/09

Gaia93 wrote:


Skeithcruor wrote:

It says in the bible Samson rips a Jackass' jawbone off and slaughters an army with it.


You know Jackass means donkey, right? It's only a curse word if you use it that way.
Like when you say, "You Jackass!" you're using as an offensive term.
A lot of curse words are that way, like:
Bitch = a female dog.
Bastard = a person without a father.
Hell = refering to that place underground.
They're only curse words if you use them that way.

Yur Right xDD

Posted 4/24/09
my sister read the bible & told me that negative words or words not about christ are words revolve around devil....
4408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Cavite, Philippines
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Because we socially color those words as bad. Think of it this way, what if "fuck" doesn't mean anything, then it would not be a bad word.
268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/09
Most swears just mean the most extreme meaning of the thought your trying to convey.
example:

Bad (extreme) Good**(better/less worse) Indifferent

boiling - hot - warm - room temperature - cold - freezing
Fuck* - Shit - Damn - Oh Noes! - Opps - Meh!

It would seem that the Majority of people don't like things to be extreme.

*Note: the word Fuck, used in this context doesn't mean sex
**There is no extreme to good, it is or it is not.

Theory by Scrag_10
1751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / .....
Offline
Posted 4/25/09
from assholes..
3757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
103 / M / City of Angels
Offline
Posted 4/25/09
Certain words are bad because they have "mean" connotations when used as an insult., Most words are bad or originated because countries would conquer other countries and try to get rid of the conquered's native language. For example, we can't say a certain word but it's perfectly fine to say "fornicate" because the winners decided that their word was more proper.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.