First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Cooking Club! *THE MIXER*
Posted 8/1/09

Cool because I really am trying again tonight...I have been psyching myself all day!! I have everything in place but need to unload my camera and pick the carrots from the garden....brb
Posted 8/1/09 , edited 8/1/09

OK I have done the garden gathering!

```

OK now for tha cookin part!! *Puts helmet on and saftey goggles and fireproof vest* [/red]If you will please step behind the protective glass it is after all put there by our lovely hosts LS and DG so we should do our part here ---we dont need any heroes today!

Ok Pam I followed your recipe almost perfectly but tweeked it to fit my families needs. I started by stacking my steamer with the potatoes (peeled and diced to 1") on the bottom and the steam meeting the carrots on the top of the steamer (my hubby calls it a doublepot) Now in the skillet put a tablespoon of real butter a tablespoon of minced garlic clove diced chicken breast (diced to one and a half inches NO FAT OR SKIN the more time you spend prepping your food the better you can enjoy it)
Ohh this is when I would have put the red sweet bell if I would have had it but I used dried instead.
Ohh my peas are not ripe enough to use so I used canned green beans and Frozen whole kernel corn to add the country flavor. DRINK THE REST OF THE WINE to celebrate our health so far! *takes deep breath* this is so hard for me! My husband was a culinary chef for Darden Restaurants for two years so hes like awesome and I like burn water! I LOVE YOU GUYS!! *hiccup* Yeah .......What was I doing.......................................................................................................OHHHH YES! ok now let that boil down a bit until you get that gravy consistennsceyny *hiccup heeheehee* Now I unfolded my puff pastry and cut it into 1 inch strips (along the folds or you might die) *hiccip hiccup finishes wine throws bottle acrossed the kitchen into the trashcan and recieving a bird from one of the other cooks over there who I almost hit with it* Wooops my bad hey THAT WAS BADD! Did you see me!! ~_~ Ill never pull that one off in real life! LOL
OK now dont overlap your pastry or you will get undone mixed with overdone pastry instead gently tuck just the edges of strips and squares to achieve the weave.....ACHIEVE THE WEAVE *cracks up laughing again* WAITER *yelling at cook who flipped me off*MORE WINE!!! LMAO...................XDDDDDD. okkkokokokokokk *sobers when security shows up in doorway of kitchen* hmmmmHMMM ok.....yes......achieve the weave....just the edges....cook for a long time...longer than I thought it would take....This is the most awesome recipe thank you! XD I would have never attempted this by myself. I guess I can cook some stuff XD But I had to put the pies back in for aout ten more minutes after these picturesbecause the puff pastry has to cook through.

Make extra pies for your loved ones. Ohhh and add that salad it really works with it!

Creator
116203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / At the studio.
Offline
Posted 8/1/09 , edited 8/1/09


OMG those looked absolutley beautiful! Your changes sounded just perfect and the topping looked neat kinda squared and pretty!! How did it TASTE??? Did everyone enjoy it?
Souse Chef
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Sweden
Offline
Posted 8/2/09
Fair enough, I just need some time because I need to write a paper and help my parents with household chores and others things so I haven't been on the computer long time enough.
Moderator
2629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Washington in mind
Offline
Posted 8/2/09
Wow!!! that was amazing... i want to take pictures of our garden over here in guam now!!! ahhhh i really want to cook... ahhhh ..... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
PastryChef/moderator
6807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Pofff!!!!!! Fairy...
Offline
Posted 8/3/09
oh my gosh ...SHE DID IT!!! I was afraid to look, thought maybe I had to tell a little white lie and tell you it looks great when it doesent! But now I can honestly say ...IT LOOKS GREAT!!! Gives you a pet on the head ....se you can do it Star!!

Now i\m ashamed I haven\t done anything yet, even Dstar did it ...so thats why i\m doing it as soon as possible ...please bare with me XD
Pastry Chef
7615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / wants to be in Japan
Offline
Posted 8/18/09
and im slacking off.... i can't seem to get enough time to do anything for myself nowadays.

This may not belong here.... but i feel i want it.


i want the phone.


sorry once again for being gone.. and demoting me.
Souse Chef
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Sweden
Offline
Posted 9/3/09
NEXT Challenge for you peeps!

And hurry up DG!

It's time to say thank you to HIKOBUF, one of the WBC members. We are going to make Lamingtons. But there is a catch. I want you to besides dipping it with coconut flakes, I want you to add something else on it. It doesn't matter what, just as long as I can see it's something there on the lamingtons. Also it would be nice to see both a cut side of the lamingtons and the uncut version. So start cooking...erhmmm I mean baking!

~Recipe~

Sponge cake
you can buy pre-made sponge cake or make your own
To make your own sponge cake you will need the ingredients below

1.)2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
2.)2 teaspoons baking powder
3.)1/4 teaspoon salt
4.)1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter,
5.)3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar(icing sugar)
6.)1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
7.)1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Chocolate cover
1.)4 cups (1 lb.) (454 grams) confectioners powdered or icing sugar, sifted(you dont have to,but it will look clumpy :p it still going to taste the same)
2.)1/3 cup (30 grams) cocoa powder
3.)3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
4.)1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Coating
2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut

~How to make the sponge cake~
(if you bought pre-made then skip this part)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack to middle position. Butter, or spray with a nonstick cooking spray, the bottom and sides of an 8 inch (20 cm) square cake pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer(you can also mix it yourself) beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

Add in flour mixture and milk mix

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Once the cake has completely cooled cut it into 16 two-inch (5 cm) squares. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or even overnight. The reason for doing this is that it is much easier (less crumbs) to coat a cold cake with frosting.

*Done sponge cake*
~Next part~

Chocolate Frosting: Place the confectioners sugar(icing sugar), cocoa powder, butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and of pouring consistency.

To assemble Lamingtons: Make a production line; put the 16 squares of cakes on a wire rack that is placed over a baking sheet (to catch the drips). Have ready the coconut on a large plate and the chocolate frosting. Spoon or ladle the chocolate frosting over each square of cake, making sure you cover all sides. (It is best to do a few squares at a time.) With a small offset spatula or knife transfer the chocolate covered cake to the plate of coconut and roll the cake in the coconut, covering all sides. Gently transfer the lamington to a clean wire rack to set. Repeat with the rest of the cake squares. Once the Lamingtons have set, store in an airtight container for several days.

If the cover becomes too thick to pour, simply place the frosting back over the saucepan of simmering water and reheat until it is of pouring consistency. (You may have to do this a few times as the frosting has a tendency to thicken over time. Add a little more milk to frosting if necessary to get pouring consistency.)

Makes 16 2-inch (5 cm) squares.
Creator
116203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / At the studio.
Offline
Posted 9/4/09

ZeroCorp wrote:

and im slacking off.... i can't seem to get enough time to do anything for myself nowadays.

This may not belong here.... but i feel i want it.


i want the phone.


sorry once again for being gone.. and demoting me.


You are no longer demoted Zero!! I thought you were gone for GOOD!!
Creator
116203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / At the studio.
Offline
Posted 9/4/09

pearlprinsessa wrote:

NEXT Challenge for you peeps!

And hurry up DG!

It's time to say thank you to HIKOBUF, one of the WBC members. We are going to make Lamingtons. But there is a catch. I want you to besides dipping it with coconut flakes, I want you to add something else on it. It doesn't matter what, just as long as I can see it's something there on the lamingtons. Also it would be nice to see both a cut side of the lamingtons and the uncut version. So start cooking...erhmmm I mean baking!

~Recipe~

Sponge cake
you can buy pre-made sponge cake or make your own
To make your own sponge cake you will need the ingredients below

1.)2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
2.)2 teaspoons baking powder
3.)1/4 teaspoon salt
4.)1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter,
5.)3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar(icing sugar)
6.)1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
7.)1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Chocolate cover
1.)4 cups (1 lb.) (454 grams) confectioners powdered or icing sugar, sifted(you dont have to,but it will look clumpy :p it still going to taste the same)
2.)1/3 cup (30 grams) cocoa powder
3.)3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
4.)1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Coating
2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut

~How to make the sponge cake~
(if you bought pre-made then skip this part)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack to middle position. Butter, or spray with a nonstick cooking spray, the bottom and sides of an 8 inch (20 cm) square cake pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer(you can also mix it yourself) beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

Add in flour mixture and milk mix

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Once the cake has completely cooled cut it into 16 two-inch (5 cm) squares. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or even overnight. The reason for doing this is that it is much easier (less crumbs) to coat a cold cake with frosting.

*Done sponge cake*
~Next part~

Chocolate Frosting: Place the confectioners sugar(icing sugar), cocoa powder, butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and of pouring consistency.

To assemble Lamingtons: Make a production line; put the 16 squares of cakes on a wire rack that is placed over a baking sheet (to catch the drips). Have ready the coconut on a large plate and the chocolate frosting. Spoon or ladle the chocolate frosting over each square of cake, making sure you cover all sides. (It is best to do a few squares at a time.) With a small offset spatula or knife transfer the chocolate covered cake to the plate of coconut and roll the cake in the coconut, covering all sides. Gently transfer the lamington to a clean wire rack to set. Repeat with the rest of the cake squares. Once the Lamingtons have set, store in an airtight container for several days.

If the cover becomes too thick to pour, simply place the frosting back over the saucepan of simmering water and reheat until it is of pouring consistency. (You may have to do this a few times as the frosting has a tendency to thicken over time. Add a little more milk to frosting if necessary to get pouring consistency.)

Makes 16 2-inch (5 cm) squares.


OK I'm up for it!! Thanks for moving the MIXER along Pearl and thx for the recipe HIKOBUF! GO LAMBAKINS!!
Posted 9/23/09

bledroses wrote:

Wow!!! that was amazing... i want to take pictures of our garden over here in guam now!!! ahhhh i really want to cook... ahhhh ..... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!


Thank you all!! Yall are just too nice to me!! I was hoping on something with more fire.....how flammable is spongecake anyways XD Ohh and hey bled you are in my Greenthumbs group right. GUAM!! Guam gardens!! Im thinking international forum thread here! *gears grinding and churning* That would be UBER SUPER COOL! Any ways what were we burning....COOKING next...spongecake....FLAMBE!! I want to learn Flambe!! @ Legend....and DG...and princess....and BLEDroses of course ohhh if yall dont teach me Ill bet ZEROCORP will! LOL FLAMBE SPONGECAKE! paweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEeeeeeeese
Moderator
2629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Washington in mind
Offline
Posted 9/24/09
ahhhh flambe.... haha i learned that from me mister french man chef... its fun... good with shrimp! ok sponge cake.. i just saw barefoot contessa do it on national television i know i can make this cake! and i told people about it so i have to now! when is the due date?
Moderator
2629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Washington in mind
Offline
Posted 10/5/09
So anyone make the lamingtons yet?
Souse Chef
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/9/10
Nope, totally forgot about it. Besides I cannot consume all of it when I bake....
Posted 1/23/10

bledroses wrote:

So anyone make the lamingtons yet?


Man whats a lamentation? Sounds really sad!! Ill have to google LAMINGTONS hmmmmflambe?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.