First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Christianity and the differences within
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 5/17/09
I'll post more relavent information later but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct. One church my see the Eucharist as a symbol and ther other might see it as Jesus in the bread. They both can't be right at the same time but people insist that it is okay so long as its from the bible. But how can two contradictory things be right if they're from the same source? This includes other topics that are hot for debate like homosexuality and contraception that every church of christianity has different answers.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/09 , edited 5/17/09

crunchypibb wrote:

I'll post more relavent information later but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct. One church my see the Eucharist as a symbol and ther other might see it as Jesus in the bread. They both can't be right at the same time but people insist that it is okay so long as its from the bible. But how can two contradictory things be right if they're from the same source? This includes other topics that are hot for debate like homosexuality and contraception that every church of christianity has different answers.


hmmm... it kinda brings this scripture to my mind.
Rom 14:3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.
Rom 14:4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Rom 14:7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.
Rom 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
Rom 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
Rom 14:10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.
Rom 14:11 It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " [fn]
Rom 14:12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
Rom 14:14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food [fn] is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.
Rom 14:15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.
Rom 14:16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil.


I think there is only One Truth, but what matters is if Christians believe that we are saved by Grace by Jesus Christ when we repent of sin, this is a basic concept for all Christians that most agree on. What I think this verse says is that we may each have personal convictions about something, and they may be wrong, but as Christians we are to respect each other's beliefs and not judge someone else for theirs. On certain issues like homosexuality and abortion (which are sins). I think we need to base our beliefs on those things from the Bible and make certain our convictions don't come from the sinful nature. We should let everything we believe honor God, and that should be why we believe it. It's sad how the Body of Christ is divided over such small things
Posted 5/17/09

crunchypibb wrote:

but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct.


Err... there are many denominations because, in honesty, people like the good stuff and cast out the bad stuff written in the Bible or other sacred books / scriptures.
It's the same as people who likes to preach but can't do honestly what he/she is preaching.
Or the same people who likes to bask in the glory of god during Sunday. But, as soon as they leave their church or temple, they are completely a different people and unkindly.


So yea.


Kyoukoujin 3:16 says, "I like to move move it! I like to MOVE IT!!"
12079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / location location...
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

digs wrote:


Seriously do you have a special notification for every Christian related thread? I see you all the time.

I agree with what Digs has to say.
However another topic when it comes to interpretations have caused many doubts is the verse from Genesis where God commands to 'be fruitful'.
My opinion on that verse is that at that time men seriously needed to populate the world so maybe the verse needed to be applied then.
And at that moment, men's desire of sex isn't as it is today, it was still treated as a reproductive method.
However, men's desires came in and they took the verse literally and assumed that polygamy is acceptable.

God's commands are actually simple, but we humans tend to inquire too much and also temptation comes in and so we start to doubt.
I believe that we should interpret with wisdom and also what is it that we're seeking.
Because by the end of the day, is it us who shape ourselves according to the Bible, or is it the bible which shapes according to us.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the 'be fruitful' verse.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

digs wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

I'll post more relavent information later but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct. One church my see the Eucharist as a symbol and ther other might see it as Jesus in the bread. They both can't be right at the same time but people insist that it is okay so long as its from the bible. But how can two contradictory things be right if they're from the same source? This includes other topics that are hot for debate like homosexuality and contraception that every church of christianity has different answers.


hmmm... it kinda brings this scripture to my mind.
Rom 14:3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.
Rom 14:4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Rom 14:7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.
Rom 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
Rom 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
Rom 14:10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.
Rom 14:11 It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " [fn]
Rom 14:12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
Rom 14:14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food [fn] is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.
Rom 14:15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.
Rom 14:16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil.


I think there is only One Truth, but what matters is if Christians believe that we are saved by Grace by Jesus Christ when we repent of sin, this is a basic concept for all Christians that most agree on. What I think this verse says is that we may each have personal convictions about something, and they may be wrong, but as Christians we are to respect each other's beliefs and not judge someone else for theirs. On certain issues like homosexuality and abortion (which are sins). I think we need to base our beliefs on those things from the Bible and make certain our convictions don't come from the sinful nature. We should let everything we believe honor God, and that should be why we believe it. It's sad how the Body of Christ is divided over such small things


Well I hope you quoted those verses from the bible so that you can speak in context of them but I'm just going to put my input before looking further into it. If this is the part of the scripture that christians do use to defend the the statement you made then their interpretation is in some points wrong because it fails to appeal to logic, which a lot of people like to pass off because it's an interpretation of the bible. But think about it, who gave us logic?


if Christians believe that we are saved by Grace by Jesus Christ when we repent of sin, this is a basic concept for all Christians that most agree on.

-One, this verse does not say anything specifically about grace, which is one thing we receive from Jesus but I feel this tidbit in the bible is more about how we believe in Jesus and nothing about how believing in him saves us by grace.


What I think this verse says is that we may each have personal convictions about something, and they may be wrong, but as Christians we are to respect each other's beliefs and not judge someone else for theirs.

-In this specific scripture it says
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
This means to not make judgment just to hinder another so that you look better. From what I see, this is the first statement in the excerpt where it specifically tells us how to not judge others. As far as judging goes, the apostle whom was addressing the Romans didn't say judging was bad because he says
Rom 14:15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.
If someone has concern for you on your beliefs it means what you're doing is most likely wrong and you should listen to them. If you don't notice the smudge on your nose someone else will and point it out to you. You may not think so but you'll have to trust in their judgment, right?


On certain issues like homosexuality and abortion (which are sins). I think we need to base our beliefs on those things from the Bible and make certain our convictions don't come from the sinful nature.

-True but like what I said people say different things but quote the same book and they think about the same statement you just made. It's important to understand the contexts of the bible, which a lot of people claim they do. There's lots to say about this but abortion and homosexuality I believe are other threads in this forum and me elaborating on the topic would take too long. What's your stance out of curiousity?


We should let everything we believe honor God, and that should be why we believe it. It's sad how the Body of Christ is divided over such small things

Understanding the bible is no small task, and when Jesus tells us to not judge each others opinions he's pointing out on the things that's more trivial like Jesus's actual age before death and the such. It also says in the bible that not everyone who claims they are christian will go to heaven but most people ignore that for one reason or another. But it turns out the more deeper people get into the bible the more likey they become, Catholic or have Catholic beliefs. CS Lewis is one, although not Catholic his works are praised for nonetheless by all denominations because his teachings make sense. J.R.R. Tolken is another, he was once an atheist but soon converted to Catholicism and his Lord of the Rings series is based on such teachings.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

kyoukoujin wrote:


crunchypibb wrote:

but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct.


Err... there are many denominations because, in honesty, people like the good stuff and cast out the bad stuff written in the Bible or other sacred books / scriptures.
It's the same as people who likes to preach but can't do honestly what he/she is preaching.
Or the same people who likes to bask in the glory of god during Sunday. But, as soon as they leave their church or temple, they are completely a different people and unkindly.


So yea.


Kyoukoujin 3:16 says, "I like to move move it! I like to MOVE IT!!"


Well changing around the bible to fit your agenda wouldn't make one a bible christian would it? Like Martin Luther.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

crunchypibb wrote:

I'll post more relavent information later but seriously there's like so many christian denominations out there it's hard to understand which one is more correct. .


There are independent 23,000 denominations. Personally, I think they're all full of it. Tha's why I'm non-denominational.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/09 , edited 5/17/09

Well I hope you quoted those verses from the bible so that you can speak in context of them but I'm just going to put my input before looking further into it. If this is the part of the scripture that christians do use to defend the the statement you made then their interpretation is in some points wrong because it fails to appeal to logic, which a lot of people like to pass off because it's an interpretation of the bible. But think about it, who gave us logic?


if Christians believe that we are saved by Grace by Jesus Christ when we repent of sin, this is a basic concept for all Christians that most agree on.

-One, this verse does not say anything specifically about grace, which is one thing we receive from Jesus but I feel this tidbit in the bible is more about how we believe in Jesus and nothing about how believing in him saves us by grace.


I did quote those verses from the Bible. This scripture is actually pretty unpopular as many don't comment on it, but what it says is that we each have personal convictions. They can be right or wrong, but our goal is to love one another, we can correct others when they are wrong, but we aren't to be a stumbling block or offend them by doing what they believe is wrong (like eating certain foods and such). Whatever we believe, we need to contrast with the Bible and understand that our goal is to glorify God. and what parts fail to appeal to logic?



What I think this verse says is that we may each have personal convictions about something, and they may be wrong, but as Christians we are to respect each other's beliefs and not judge someone else for theirs.

-In this specific scripture it says
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
This means to not make judgment just to hinder another so that you look better. From what I see, this is the first statement in the excerpt where it specifically tells us how to not judge others. As far as judging goes, the apostle whom was addressing the Romans didn't say judging was bad because he says
Rom 14:15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.
If someone has concern for you on your beliefs it means what you're doing is most likely wrong and you should listen to them. If you don't notice the smudge on your nose someone else will and point it out to you. You may not think so but you'll have to trust in their judgment, right?


We are allowed to judge each other's actions, but we aren't the judge. We are to make wise decisions about others through judgment, but God is the judge of that person. We aren't to look at someone and judge them like God would judge them, but we may have an opinion on whether or not someone is trustworthy. The Bible says we are to expel those who are living in sin and refuse to repent. We see their sin and act upon it by obeying the Bible, but we aren't judging them in the sense and context of how God judges.



On certain issues like homosexuality and abortion (which are sins). I think we need to base our beliefs on those things from the Bible and make certain our convictions don't come from the sinful nature.

-True but like what I said people say different things but quote the same book and they think about the same statement you just made. It's important to understand the contexts of the bible, which a lot of people claim they do. There's lots to say about this but abortion and homosexuality I believe are other threads in this forum and me elaborating on the topic would take too long. What's your stance out of curiousity?


My stance on abortion is that it is murder and wrong in all cases except for when it is a proven threat to the mothers life. In that case it is considered self defense. And I believe homosexuality is a sin. These are my views on it, but I agree with you, I would rather not debate them here.



We should let everything we believe honor God, and that should be why we believe it. It's sad how the Body of Christ is divided over such small things

Understanding the bible is no small task, and when Jesus tells us to not judge each others opinions he's pointing out on the things that's more trivial like Jesus's actual age before death and the such. It also says in the bible that not everyone who claims they are christian will go to heaven but most people ignore that for one reason or another. But it turns out the more deeper people get into the bible the more likey they become, Catholic or have Catholic beliefs. CS Lewis is one, although not Catholic his works are praised for nonetheless by all denominations because his teachings make sense. J.R.R. Tolken is another, he was once an atheist but soon converted to Catholicism and his Lord of the Rings series is based on such teachings.


You are right, understanding the Bible takes time, wisdom, and the humility that is guided by the Holy Spirit. I have read through the Bible, and it's important to understand the context in which things are being said and pray about what might not make sense. When things don't make sense to me I look at other Bible verses, and when things "contradict" I look at the contexts and what the verses are actually saying so that truth may result. I believe that the Bible is the Inspired Word of God through the Holy Spirit. All of the books of the Bible were inspired by the same Holy Spirit of God, which is why I believe there are no contradictions and all is Truth.

How did Martin Luther change the Bible? He used the same Bible as the Catholic Church and posted his convictions with the 95 theses. And I disagree with your statement about studying and becoming Catholic. I have studied it and I changed my views from an agnostic to a non-denominational Charismatic Christian (not stating because I changed this way that my way is 100% right, but I am saying that it didn't make me Catholic). There are several verses in the Bible that contradict what the Catholic church teaches (like praying to saints, priests, confessionals, etc...). However I don't say this to bash Catholics because I do believe they are Christians and going to heaven, I say this with utmost respect for the Catholic Church, although I disagree with several of the teachings. The Catholic Church has done many wonderful things like providing aid, missionaries, peace to regions, and a standing for what is morally right. I'm not here to attack the Catholic Church or debate their theology, I'm just stating my view. I personally believe that Charismatics, Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Messianic Jews, and all other Christians need to humble ourselves and work together peacefully to reach the world.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 5/17/09
Lol your knowledge on Christianity never ceases to amaze me. I just want to know where it all began from.
Posted 5/17/09

drizza wrote:

Lol your knowledge on Christianity never ceases to amaze me. I just want to know where it all began from.


Digs is the Ned Flanders version of CR. And, he's a lefty too.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
48142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

drizza wrote:

Lol your knowledge on Christianity never ceases to amaze me. I just want to know where it all began from.


Haha me? If so it came from after I was Born Again last January and started reading through the Bible. My dad has been a pastor the majority of my life, so I was raised in church. But I honestly didn't learn much until I started reading the Bible for myself and learning from it last year. I also learn when I debate my faith because it makes me learn the answers to tough questions. Haha thanks for the compliment, it's a pleasure to know a respectful and kind person such as yourself.
4557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bermuda Triangle
Offline
Posted 5/17/09

digs wrote:




I did quote those verses from the Bible. This scripture is actually pretty unpopular as many don't comment on it, but what it says is that we each have personal convictions. They can be right or wrong, but our goal is to love one another, we can correct others when they are wrong, but we aren't to be a stumbling block or offend them by doing what they believe is wrong (like eating certain foods and such). Whatever we believe, we need to contrast with the Bible and understand that our goal is to glorify God. and what parts fail to appeal to logic?


-I didn't mean to say that those verses weren't from the bible, I meant to say are you quoting them in context to everything else because even in other literature many famous quotes have been taken out of context and the message they are used for would not be approved by the original author. If you don't get what I mean I'll give an example later but I can't think of a good one right now. As to validating our beliefs to the bible, there are in fact for most verses many different ways to interpret them but there are boundaries to them. If one interpretation does not appeal or agree with another there must be something wrong with the interpretation. The web of truth will not hold if the truths cannot agree with each other. This is what I mean by appealing to logic. The parts that I didn't feel appeal to logic I tried to point out throughout my last response.


We are allowed to judge each other's actions, but we aren't the judge. We are to make wise decisions about others through judgment, but God is the judge of that person. We aren't to look at someone and judge them like God would judge them, but we may have an opinion on whether or not someone is trustworthy. The Bible says we are to expel those who are living in sin and refuse to repent. We see their sin and act upon it by obeying the Bible, but we aren't judging them in the sense and context of how God judges.


-That's right, we are not the judges, God is the judge. We learn the way God judges throughout the bible. So can we not judge others based on how we know the way God judges? Let's say we talk about Jesus's baptism. If my interpretation is that Jesus had the Holy Spirit with him during the baptism but didn't have it with him during the rest of his life and ministry on earth, you have the God given right to tell me I'm wrong because other scriptures in the bible prove elsewise. We are to lead others in Christ are we not? If you were to deny me this information you would commit sin because you not telling me the right interpretation would be the same as letting me wander off away from God.


How did Martin Luther change the Bible? He used the same Bible as the Catholic Church and posted his convictions with the 95 theses.


He added the word "alone" in the bible so that it said "faith alone" in one of the scriptures. Before even publicating his version of the bible he also had intended on taking out other books that did not fit his personal theology like revelations. The books that were taken out from his version of the bible are what I believe are called the Apocryphal books. This includes Maccabees, Wisdom, and the likes. Yes there was a lot of corruption happening around the Catholic church but that's because of the men of the church, the head Church itself never promoted such actions. And then there's more history involved.......... which I don't feel like talking about.

Well a lot of people do get deep into the bible and depending on the focus of their studies it is true that they may set off in a specific direction. I said that those who get deep into the bible usually go Catholic, or inherit Catholic teachings, is because they learn to understand the Word of God beyond the bible and look toward the Vatican for guidance. And when I meant deep I meant like years and years of theology, usually more years than your current age. Of course years do not equate knowledge but if their focus of study is truely Christ centered and without bias, then ya.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Yo Mommas House
Offline
Posted 5/17/09 , edited 5/17/09

digs wrote:


drizza wrote:

Lol your knowledge on Christianity never ceases to amaze me. I just want to know where it all began from.


Haha me? If so it came from after I was Born Again last January and started reading through the Bible. My dad has been a pastor the majority of my life, so I was raised in church. But I honestly didn't learn much until I started reading the Bible for myself and learning from it last year. I also learn when I debate my faith because it makes me learn the answers to tough questions. Haha thanks for the compliment, it's a pleasure to know a respectful and kind person such as yourself.


It is interesting because how you are with your religion I am trying to be with mine myself. Sometimes I am positioned with very tough questions and since I dont know the Quran inside out I have to ask others for help on the answer. I cant just dig in the Quran and find the exact quote to answer a question. My dad can do it and he has helped me a lot especially on a lot of these Islam threads whew it is a brawl when it comes to those. Usually when I come to these threads I come to find similarities between the two religions and there are some surprisingly.
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/09 , edited 5/17/09

drizza wrote:

Lol your knowledge on Christianity never ceases to amaze me. I just want to know where it all began from.


That’s actually pretty simple. It began sometime during the first century CE under the teachings of Jesus Christ. The earliest Christians were called “Ebionites,” or “Poor Ones,” but they weren’t considered to be a separate entity from the Jews. Origen, a Roman historian, explained this when he wrote: “The Jews who accept Christ are called Ebionites.” In other word Christianity was a radical and revolutionized sect of Judaism. It was not until much later that they began to consider themselves a separate entity from the Jews.


The origin of Christianity is actually very similar to the origin of your religion. I wrote a paper comparing and contrasting the two once. I mean, even in some cases it’s very specific. For example, Muhammad (peace be upon him,) and Jesus (is it common educate to say peace be upon him for Jesus too?) both had significant experiences at a the very specific age of 33. This, interestingly enough, is also true of Zoroaster-the founder of the ancient Zoroastrian religion.

But, the religions are all around similar. Muslims and Christians worship the same God, after all.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/11
Dude who the hell cares about religion? It's just a label, live life and accept what comes after death, doesn't anyone understand this?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.