Created by slowdanse
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
If you're Taiwanese, what do you speak (excludes English)?
72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / 台北, 台灣
Offline
Posted 9/20/09
Well, I was born in China so I'm affluent of speaking Mandarin, but we decided to move here in Taiwan 3 years ago to enter in a foreign school, so aside from my native tongue, I can now also speak Taiwanese & English...

Though, I want to learn Canto or Hokkien XD
Posted 9/22/09
erm..i dunno
9807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/09
i use both, sometimes i catch myself with a very strong mandarin accent and sometimes when I'm lazy or want to talk fast i use Taiwanese
1263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Trinidad and Tobago
Offline
Posted 10/12/09
I am not taiwanese, i just wanted to read the post. learnt alot. hope i remember. LOL. I guess taiwanese or mandarin is spoken in taiwan? hope it does not die out though
185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Taiwan
Offline
Posted 12/6/09
I speak Mandarin but I would like to speak Taiwanese
I juz can understand Taiwanese but not speaking.
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Kan-uh-duh
Offline
Posted 12/23/09
i dunno im cbc so im pretty shit at mandarin and taiwanese. although yeah i can speak a lil of both. i like the taiwanese language... it's like when u wanna cuss someone out you use taiwanese it sounds more badass LOL? its more rough and slang sounding.
524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / 就在你心里...
Offline
Posted 12/23/09 , edited 12/23/09
taiwanese language is hokkien..
i can speak hokkien ^^
learn it from my mum.
my dad can speak hakka. but i cant..i didnt learn it.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / 洛杉磯
Offline
Posted 12/27/09
I can speak both Taiwanese & Mandarin.
But really? Hokkien & Taiwanese is the same thing?

I want to learn how to speak Canto tho, sounds pretty cool.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/10
Taiwanese and Hokkien are not the same.
Taiwanese is mixture of Hokkien, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs.
524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / 就在你心里...
Offline
Posted 1/13/10 , edited 1/13/10

ejsu wrote:

Taiwanese and Hokkien are not the same.
Taiwanese is mixture of Hokkien, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs.


taiwanese and hokkien are the same ....in taiwan..hokkien is known as taiwanese. For your info..my mum a taiwanese.

Taiwanese is mixture of Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs..lols
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/10

pwincee wrote:


ejsu wrote:

Taiwanese and Hokkien are not the same.
Taiwanese is mixture of Hokkien, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs.


taiwanese and hokkien are the same ....in taiwan..hokkien is known as taiwanese. For your info..my mum a taiwanese.

Taiwanese is mixture of Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs..lols
No, not exactly the same. There's no doubt that the dialog was originated from China, but various cultures have occupied Taiwan over the past 400 years, there are words from those languages still used in Taiwanese language today.

For example, go and ask your mom what is the one word for "bread" in Taiwanese. Depends on which region of Taiwan she was from, you'll probably get "paan", and now go look up the word "bread" in Spanish. While you are at it. ask her how to say motorcycle in Taiwanese. She will probably tell you it's "O-do-Bai" and you go and look up motorcycle in Japanese. There are just too many examples to be named.

These information are certainly not being taught at school. There things in Taiwanese you can't even translate well into Mandarin. Your mom probably go through her whole life not ever thought about any of these thing that I am telling you right now.
524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / 就在你心里...
Offline
Posted 1/15/10

ejsu wrote:



pwincee wrote:


ejsu wrote:

Taiwanese and Hokkien are not the same.
Taiwanese is mixture of Hokkien, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs.


taiwanese and hokkien are the same ....in taiwan..hokkien is known as taiwanese. For your info..my mum a taiwanese.

Taiwanese is mixture of Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and different variety of Native Formosan dialogs..lols
No, not exactly the same. There's no doubt that the dialog was originated from China, but various cultures have occupied Taiwan over the past 400 years, there are words from those languages still used in Taiwanese language today.

For example, go and ask your mom what is the one word for "bread" in Taiwanese. Depends on which region of Taiwan she was from, you'll probably get "paan", and now go look up the word "bread" in Spanish. While you are at it. ask her how to say motorcycle in Taiwanese. She will probably tell you it's "O-do-Bai" and you go and look up motorcycle in Japanese. There are just too many examples to be named.

These information are certainly not being taught at school. There things in Taiwanese you can't even translate well into Mandarin. Your mom probably go through her whole life not ever thought about any of these thing that I am telling you right now.


altough a bit different..but it is still very similar.
9826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/27/10
mandarin
1946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 2/21/10
When I was in TaiZhong city, a lot people spoke Taiwanese. Even my Taipei friend's father used a lot of taiwanese AND Chinese MIXED with taiwanese. Which really confused me when he pronounces some manadarin with Taiwanese influence.

My friend taught me some taiwanese:

Li zhou gou zui
li hou!
1072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 2/23/10
I'm sorry i know it's the wrong section for this, but i need your help...PLEASE... Is there anyone here familiar with Asian drama especially Taiwan dramas???...this song keeps bothering me, i really need to know the title and the singer...or just any info., any help about this song would be much appreciated...here is the tune I've recorded it...Please click the link. Thank You...^^,)
>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QkTCSQ_rqo
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.