First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Are Atheists Empty
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
A lot of the time people treat atheism as if it’s a terrible lifestyle that makes all of its adherents miserable. I honestly don’t think so, but then I consider modern atheism a form of religion. Anyway, as an atheist I know that I –did- feel like something was missing. I was miserable, started fighting and vandalizing, all the stuff you expect from a juvenile delinquent. I was also eleven when I converted to atheism and fourteen when I re-converted to Christianity. (I think, I don’t have my life cataloged so sue me.)

I used to extend my experience further than it should be stretched. What I mean to say is that my only understanding of atheistic life was dictated by my own experience therein. However, what I must also consider is that I was a hormonal and rebellious, not to mention insecure yet egotistical, brat. A lot of kids go through that “god’s stupid,” phase-I just took it a bit further. Kind of like whoever writes songs for the band Disturbed except I grew out of it.

Honestly, however, I don’t think this image of atheism is accurate. I think it’s a belief system that people can take comfort in just like any other belief system. I know we’re going to play semantics and say atheism is not a belief system it’s disbelief, but the point remains intact.

People have it in their head that all atheists feel empty inside, but honestly I think that now that I’m more logical and mature, if I were an atheist I’d go on with life feeling much the same way I do now. I wouldn’t bother with petty morality , but really I don’t think my lifestyle would change to profoundly. What’re your thoughts?
36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
I still don't get your "point" in how it's a religion? Atheists don't gather together and worship the theists they don't believe in?... I myself don't even know what to call myself. I think i would be categorized as agnostic, but somewhat atheist. I don't think some random book someone wrote is the truth without evidence of that truth. And i also believe that philosophy is just another form of religion in which some philosopher thinks of ways to disprove religion. What if there is no reason for us to be here, and no reason for the world to appear, etc etc. But to say atheism is a religion is kind of confusing to me. All religions believe in some sort of god or theist. Atheism revolves around not believing in any Gods or Theists and denying their existence. How can that be a religion?

I think that atheists/agnostics are much more open minded people. I personally have a lot of religious friends whom are very good friends to me and i would never want to lose them. But at the same time a lot of the things that they do and say annoy me because it just seems like they're so close minded about certain subjects. But what right isn't always right, and what is wrong always isn't wrong. I may view things in a different prespective. I just overall enjoy people who have a more open mind of the world which seems to be the atheists of the society. Not to say that religious people aren't, it just seems like their life is dictated by what they believe in and only that. Their views about certain subjects will not change over time because the bible will not change over time either. While the atheists/agnostics of society's views can always change with new science, new technology, new philosophy, etc.
2799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
Atheists aren't empty. Their normal people without a religion. But seriously, l think a big thing with religion is to keep people in line, so they don't do things that's going to screw everyone over. You see, if it weren't for the 10 commandments, there'd be a lot more people doing things they shouldn't do.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

SeraphAlford wrote:

A lot of the time people treat atheism as if it’s a terrible lifestyle that makes all of its adherents miserable. I honestly don’t think so, but then I consider modern atheism a form of religion. Anyway, as an atheist I know that I –did- feel like something was missing. I was miserable, started fighting and vandalizing, all the stuff you expect from a juvenile delinquent. I was also eleven when I converted to atheism and fourteen when I re-converted to Christianity. (I think, I don’t have my life cataloged so sue me.)

I used to extend my experience further than it should be stretched. What I mean to say is that my only understanding of atheistic life was dictated by my own experience therein. However, what I must also consider is that I was a hormonal and rebellious, not to mention insecure yet egotistical, brat. A lot of kids go through that “god’s stupid,” phase-I just took it a bit further. Kind of like whoever writes songs for the band Disturbed except I grew out of it.

Honestly, however, I don’t think this image of atheism is accurate. I think it’s a belief system that people can take comfort in just like any other belief system. I know we’re going to play semantics and say atheism is not a belief system it’s disbelief, but the point remains intact.

People have it in their head that all atheists feel empty inside, but honestly I think that now that I’m more logical and mature, if I were an atheist I’d go on with life feeling much the same way I do now. I wouldn’t bother with petty morality , but really I don’t think my lifestyle would change to profoundly. What’re your thoughts?


Atheism by definition is:
Atheism is the position that deities do not exist, or the rejection of theism. In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.

Therefore I would conclude that the lack of a particular belief can not form on its own a broad philosophy and therefore you might me thinking of some other kind of philosophical view. To define something as a belief system you would actually need to have a standardized series of beliefs rather than a simple agreement on a single point, ex, there is no murder is bad belief system, but rather it is an aspect of several systems.

Secular humanism on the other hand sounds a little closer to what you are talking about and is personally where I stand also. Lets hear what Wikipedia has to say on the topic:

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as the basis of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead good, happy and functional lives.

The term "secular humanism" was coined in the 20th century to make a clear distinction from "religious humanism". Secular humanism is also called "scientific humanism", because biologist Edward Wilson claimed it to be "the only worldview compatible with science's growing knowledge of the real world and the laws of nature".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Hope you find my information interesting.
36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

CorynARC wrote:

Atheists aren't empty. Their normal people without a religion. But seriously, l think a big thing with religion is to keep people in line, so they don't do things that's going to screw everyone over. You see, if it weren't for the 10 commandments, there'd be a lot more people doing things they shouldn't do.


I find this funny. Do you know how many "holy wars" and "religion based wars" there have been over time? I think religion is a good way to make money. In all honesty, a lot of religion seems based off of bullshit hypocritical lies. Just my opinion though.
2799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

spensaur wrote:


CorynARC wrote:

Atheists aren't empty. Their normal people without a religion. But seriously, l think a big thing with religion is to keep people in line, so they don't do things that's going to screw everyone over. You see, if it weren't for the 10 commandments, there'd be a lot more people doing things they shouldn't do.


I find this funny. Do you know how many "holy wars" and "religion based wars" there have been over time? I think religion is a good way to make money. In all honesty, a lot of religion seems based off of bullshit hypocritical lies. Just my opinion though.


Well, maybe religion is fake and some random guy made it up. There have been many wars because of religion, but it has kept people in line, just like l said before. Then there's crap like Satanism, but l won't go on with that.....
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/09


I find this funny. Do you know how many "holy wars" and "religion based wars" there have been over time? I think religion is a good way to make money. In all honesty, a lot of religion seems based off of bullshit hypocritical lies. Just my opinion though.


Conforming to the I hate religion fad of pop culture is also something I would call BS. Religion isn't all bad, you can't simply paint something with such a wide brush without revealing yourself to be small minded.

36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

Droodika wrote:



I find this funny. Do you know how many "holy wars" and "religion based wars" there have been over time? I think religion is a good way to make money. In all honesty, a lot of religion seems based off of bullshit hypocritical lies. Just my opinion though.


Conforming to the I hate religion fad of pop culture is also something I would call BS. Religion isn't all bad, you can't simply paint something with such a wide brush without revealing yourself to be small minded.



Where in that statement did i say i HATE religion and religious people? If you read my above statement, i have many religious friends and i respect that. I don't hate it, i just don't agree with their ways. But hey, everything has it's good and it's bad.
17060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Dreamland
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
Well I don't know if its empty, but religion do help in a lot of ways. Similarly, atheism helps believers in their way of life (like being free with a certain limit), as long as they dont commit themselves to the bad side
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

SeraphAlford wrote:

A lot of the time people treat atheism as if it’s a terrible lifestyle that makes all of its adherents miserable. I honestly don’t think so, but then I consider modern atheism a form of religion. Anyway, as an atheist I know that I –did- feel like something was missing. I was miserable, started fighting and vandalizing, all the stuff you expect from a juvenile delinquent. I was also eleven when I converted to atheism and fourteen when I re-converted to Christianity. (I think, I don’t have my life cataloged so sue me.)

I used to extend my experience further than it should be stretched. What I mean to say is that my only understanding of atheistic life was dictated by my own experience therein. However, what I must also consider is that I was a hormonal and rebellious, not to mention insecure yet egotistical, brat. A lot of kids go through that “god’s stupid,” phase-I just took it a bit further. Kind of like whoever writes songs for the band Disturbed except I grew out of it.

Honestly, however, I don’t think this image of atheism is accurate. I think it’s a belief system that people can take comfort in just like any other belief system. I know we’re going to play semantics and say atheism is not a belief system it’s disbelief, but the point remains intact.

People have it in their head that all atheists feel empty inside, but honestly I think that now that I’m more logical and mature, if I were an atheist I’d go on with life feeling much the same way I do now. I wouldn’t bother with petty morality , but really I don’t think my lifestyle would change to profoundly. What’re your thoughts?


Well I'm an atheist, and I'm not "empty", just alone, and I don't mind that at all.

I'm an atheist because I looked at religion, and found that all these events caused by "god",(the ones that aren't physically impossible (the creation of the universe, planets, stars, people, life and so on)) can be and most have been explained scientifically with ample evidence to back it up, and there's no evidence to support god/s existing. And I don't feel empty. So your correct.
7442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Tampa, FL
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
Well, I'm atheist and I don't feel empty.

I lead a perfectly normal lifestyle, I just don't have to worry about any restrictions that a religion would put on me.
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 6/3/09 , edited 6/3/09
Atheism cannot be a religion on it's own. It's just not believing in a God, that doesn't make a religion.

I don't believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, does not believing those make a religion too? If atheism can be considered a religion, all the things I don't believe in can be considered religions too, which makes no sense. There's no 'atheistic' lifestyle, and you cannot judge anyone by just knowing they are an atheist anymore than you can judge someone by knowing they don't believe in bigfoot. So statements like 'atheists feel empty inside' or any other generalization are ridiculous.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/09

Yei wrote:

Atheism cannot be a religion on it's own. It's just not believing in a God, that doesn't make a religion.

I don't believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, does not believing those make a religion too? If atheism can be considered a religion, all the things I don't believe in can be considered religions too, which makes no sense. There's no 'atheistic' lifestyle, and you cannot judge anyone by just knowing they are an atheist anymore than you can judge someone by knowing they don't believe in bigfoot. So statements like 'atheists feel empty inside' or any other generalization are ridiculous.


Exactly, well said.
6717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/3/09
I'm not really sure. But I think that my religious belief and my feeling of emptiness are two different things. I do not feel empty because of my belief. I feel empty because I feel the lack of accomplishment that I am doing in this world.
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/3/09 , edited 6/3/09

Droodika wrote:
Secular humanism on the other hand sounds a little closer to what you are talking about and is personally where I stand also. Lets hear what Wikipedia has to say on the topic:

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as the basis of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead good, happy and functional lives.

The term "secular humanism" was coined in the 20th century to make a clear distinction from "religious humanism". Secular humanism is also called "scientific humanism", because biologist Edward Wilson claimed it to be "the only worldview compatible with science's growing knowledge of the real world and the laws of nature".


Just because someone came along, defined some sort of quazi atheism all by himself and wrote a thesis on it so he could get some hearty pats on the back from his champagne sipping colleagues, doesn't mean his view and definition is the end all of truth.

Asking me to believe in God is about the same as asking me to believe in harry potter. But not believing in a God doesn't mean I don't have morals, just because religion has morals, doesn't mean morals are always directly tied to religion. I certainly don't adhere to someone's philosophy, I just do what I want to and what I feel is right.

I don't believe if I hurt someone, even if I had ample reason to, I'd goto hell, or worry about how they'd feel about it, I do however think, I'd goto jail.



As for the later posts,
Atheism is not a religion, It's just a label.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.