First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why is our generation so politically inert?
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/4/09 , edited 6/4/09
I have noticed a troubling trend among my peers, even the ones whom I consider to be intelligent people seem to have no opinions or interest whatsoever in the arena of politics.

Does this generation recoil at what has become a farce of corruption and political theater or does the problem lay even deeper; could it be that our generation simply doesn't care?

Personally I to am disappointed with the state of things, specifically the lack of real voice of opposition in Canadian parliament, as the Liberal and Conservative parties are both chiefly concerned with pandering to their powerful corporate contributors and foreign interests. I am also sad to see as a non American observer what seems to be a complete 180 by the Obama administration with regards to trade and foreign policy. I could go on at length about the alleged treasonous plotting of the Bilderberg Group but that is a level of corruption beyond the ability of average citizens to address.

Take a moment if you will to reflect on our generation and how we are or aren't making a difference. I could really use some uplifting stories about people our age making a difference, rather than these old banker/lawyer types.I am not talking about rich kids hobnobbing at the young republicans(Or conservative for fellow Canadians) convention, but rather grass roots community participation with tangible results.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
36005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/09
I agree that it's sad how many people our age show no interest in politics, many do vote but for them it is a popularity contest.

I personally have been politically involved. I campaigned for Bob Corker during my states senate election. I also publicly debated liberalism in college and voiced my strong opposition to it and took a stand for conservative values. I have attended political conferences and read up on politics from CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, and several think tanks and non msm news sources. I did vote in my countries past election for John McCain/Sarah Palin. I have volunteered to pass out literature about conservative candidates and campaigned with others at voting sites. I am very politically involved and it's sad to see how many others our age just plainly don't care and vote with whoever is popular among the age group.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/4/09

digs wrote:

I agree that it's sad how many people our age show no interest in politics, many do vote but for them it is a popularity contest.

I personally have been politically involved. I campaigned for Bob Corker during my states senate election. I also publicly debated liberalism in college and voiced my strong opposition to it and took a stand for conservative values. I have attended political conferences and read up on politics from CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, and several think tanks and non msm news sources. I did vote in my countries past election for John McCain/Sarah Palin. I have volunteered to pass out literature about conservative candidates and campaigned with others at voting sites. I am very politically involved and it's sad to see how many others our age just plainly don't care and vote with whoever is popular among the age group.


I take what I hear on CNN/FOX with a strong grain of salt, they are clear in their right wing bias on many occasions. While it is nice that you are politically active I fear there is a fundamental flaw in the two party system. Minorities are left in the dust, and to a large degree many of the true issues are railroaded in favor of partisan posturing. The Canadian system used to be better, but increasingly the two core parties dominate all issues and filibuster the opposition parties.

My big worry is that corporate influence from wall street has grown so overwhelming that there are no longer any legitimate candidates that are acting in the interests of the people.
Scientist Moderator
digs 
36005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/09

Droodika wrote:


digs wrote:

I agree that it's sad how many people our age show no interest in politics, many do vote but for them it is a popularity contest.

I personally have been politically involved. I campaigned for Bob Corker during my states senate election. I also publicly debated liberalism in college and voiced my strong opposition to it and took a stand for conservative values. I have attended political conferences and read up on politics from CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, and several think tanks and non msm news sources. I did vote in my countries past election for John McCain/Sarah Palin. I have volunteered to pass out literature about conservative candidates and campaigned with others at voting sites. I am very politically involved and it's sad to see how many others our age just plainly don't care and vote with whoever is popular among the age group.


I take what I hear on CNN/FOX with a strong grain of salt, they are clear in their right wing bias on many occasions. While it is nice that you are politically active I fear there is a fundamental flaw in the two party system. Minorities are left in the dust, and to a large degree many of the true issues are railroaded in favor of partisan posturing. The Canadian system used to be better, but increasingly the two core parties dominate all issues and filibuster the opposition parties.

My big worry is that corporate influence from wall street has grown so overwhelming that there are no longer any legitimate candidates that are acting in the interests of the people.


I agree, I get my general information from the MSM but I like finding out both sides and all the facts. The problem with MSNBC is a strong liberal bias, CNN has a slight liberal bias, and FOXNEWS has a conservative bias. Each bias means they are selectively reporting facts to appeal to those watching their channels. It's sad that there aren't any MSM networks that are strictly devoted to facts and don't voice any political preference on issues.

I think the two party system has its flaws, but I fear that a three or more party system will result in almost nothing getting done. If the senate is split by a 5 party 20/20/20/20/20 system then there won't be enough votes to push or repeal policies. What's wrong with America right now is that there are no checks or balances and one party has political monopoly in the House, Senate, and the Presidency.

I'm not sure if the corporations themselves have the influence, but rather the lobbyists that the corporations hire and put in countries' capitols. They promise campaign funds or business regulations to get the votes of senators and house members. Lobbyists are not good for the country in my opinion.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Cyprus
Offline
Posted 6/4/09 , edited 8/11/09
Politics has many problems, many many problems but chiefr among these i think are:

1. Image: Being intelligent is seen as being nerdy and uncool and boring. To be actively involved in politics you need to be smart, look at how many politicians were once lawyers. So if people say " My hobby is politics" then they get laughed at or mocked by 'shallow' people who to be fair probably spend more time reading gossip magazines/websites or red tab newspapers than actually finding out facts about things rather than adopting sensationalist views as their own.

2. Human Herd: Without meaing to sound like a conspiracy theoryist, humanity has been domesticated by mass media. I bet money that your average Joe Bloggs on the street, myself included btw, could name, if shown 100 world politicians and 100 actors, more actors. Recently the Iraq War was basically based on falsified intelligence and lies but the majority dont care. They've been placated by pictures of Paris Hiltons sex tape and Britney Spears shaving her head etc. Maddy McCann went missing however long ago it was, not one of the papers is following it up. Same with the Iraq War, JFK assassination, Roswell incident. These may very well all be completely innocent with perfectly logical, legitimate reasons but theyre out of the public eye so noone who could shed light on these issues will, because not enough people are causing a fuss. The squeeky wheel gets the oil and governemts know people stop squeeking if they can distract them with flashing lights and whistles or the latest episode of Americas got talent or any other 'reality' TV show.

3. The 'On-Demand' society: The current individualistic culture has led to a serious decline in community spirit. If i feel i've been wronged then i can sue someone for compensation. Not actually compensation for any wages, hospital bills etc but an out-and-out lump sum because im greedy. Parents whose children die due to hospital errors shouldnt be allowed money. If genuine negligence has occured then people should be fired or charged with manslaugter but they arent. People just to get their greedy little mitts on some money. This extends to vpeople who watch some TV programme where janet Jackson gets one boob out for ratings and people phone in and complain, id again bet money more people enjoyed it or didnt care than were genuinly offended but those who were offended complained their heartsout because they felt their complaint should be taken to the top because theyre special and they can demand it. Its the reason Youtube and torrents and even this site are so popular. People dont want to wait for anything these days. Why walk to the shops when you can amazon things and have it right away? Why wait until it comes on TV when you can torrent it now? Why wait for a Best Of from a TV show when you can Youtube it now? Why save up and buy somethign when i can have it now on credit? Its this ideal that has led to the global economic crisis, the mass piracy thats going on and the sens that your human rights supersede everything else.

4. The Human Rights Act: the human rights act has done so much to damage and hinder normal social function its untrue. The Tony Martin case is exhibit A, for those who dont know and have actually read this far, 2 burglars in the UK broke into a farmers house, the farmer was home and shot and killed one of the intruders and was jailed for murder. the guy was attacked in the middle of the night by 2 guys and defended his home but was found guilty and jailed. The Human Rights Act was intended to help those most in need of help but has only helped those who can afford 'fancy' lawyers by giving them a fall back. If you break into someones house, there arent that many things on your mind. Theft, murder, rape are pretty muchy your only options and you shouldnt be protected by law once you commit a crime in my book. If you read the Daily Mail then you know that children are running the streets at night with guns and knifes in the UK and they cannot be disciplined by their parents because its inhumane. Im sorry but teenage boys need discipline, sometimes physical if it comes to that or at the very least the threat of it if they croos the line. Before anyone says it, there is a HUGE difference between spanking a child for smoking/sneaking out at night/ stealing money from their parents and physically abusing a child. The line is clear. Anyone who says otherwise is naive and a woman. Im sorry to sound sexist but its true. I myself was never spanked as a child but had i crossed the line i would have been. I was a little s**t as a child but i knew where the line was and not to cross it and i think a minority of children these das would benefit from the same treatment. Tangent over, the Human Rights Act has given people too muchg fear of instilling normal public decency into people because they think theyll end up in jail for human rights buse. Policemen are scared to tackle criminals for fear of being sued. Security guards in most supermarkets/malls wont chase people outside the building for the same reason. They should chase crooks until the ends of the earht and the general public should help them but they cant or wont.

5. Thinking their vote doesnt count: When one party gets 2 million votes and the second place gets 1.8 million people who havent voted feel justified in not voting because their one vote wouldnt have mattered in the grand scheme of things. "Theyd still need 199,999 votes to tie it up" is a pretty common arguement. To be honest its my reason for not going out of my way to vote and it reflects my level of conditioning to point 3 and 4. The individualistic nature of people today has almost completely gotten rid of the ideal of rebellion against certain systems. "Why should i bother when other people will do it?" but people forget that they are one of those people. Governments have been doing their thing for a long time and have gotten good at it. With the proliferation of PCs and the internet it couldnt be that hard to set up a system where everyone in any country is given a unique code/username and can vote on any and every issue when it comes up. Itd be pure democracy in action. People can say "Oh it wouldnt be safe" but how many people use amazon, ebay, play and bank online without problems? Itd cost a lot but it would be doable. It might cost a lot but without trying to sound trite, what cost can you put on actual democracy? One person, one vote. As it stands, winners are chosen by those who turn up and for most people its too much hassle to get to their place of voting when Dancing on Ice is on at the same time.
All these reasons have lead to a public being peer pressured into not caring for fear of mockery, conditioned not to remember what the current politicians have done or how theyve lied, to not care how it affects everyone in their country/region/town but only themselves, to be too scared to speak up or do anything about injustice for fear of reprisals. Humanity has been domesticated and socially conditioned to not care of think outside the box.

Exhibit B: Think of a number, any number you want and ill guess it! Any number at all. Got one? I bet you 1 pund sterling that its a positive, whole number. Out of all the numbers, you chose one that fit into the 1-X category. For those of you who picked a decimal or a negative number, i bet 2 pounds sterling it was stilla number you knew.I bet fifty pounds sterling noone chose a number you didnt know. Not if i phoned my wife/husband, girl/boyfriend, i chose what he/she would pick.
Were more susceptable/ conditioned than you think. Scary no? Anyone who agrees even in part should vote next time they can.

TL:DR? F**K YOU! People like you are the reason why the world is a mess.
3068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/09

Droodika wrote:

I have noticed a troubling trend among my peers, even the ones whom I consider to be intelligent people seem to have no opinions or interest whatsoever in the arena of politics.

Does this generation recoil at what has become a farce of corruption and political theater or does the problem lay even deeper; could it be that our generation simply doesn't care?

Personally I to am disappointed with the state of things, specifically the lack of real voice of opposition in Canadian parliament, as the Liberal and Conservative parties are both chiefly concerned with pandering to their powerful corporate contributors and foreign interests. I am also sad to see as a non American observer what seems to be a complete 180 by the Obama administration with regards to trade and foreign policy. I could go on at length about the alleged treasonous plotting of the Bilderberg Group but that is a level of corruption beyond the ability of average citizens to address.

Take a moment if you will to reflect on our generation and how we are or aren't making a difference. I could really use some uplifting stories about people our age making a difference, rather than these old banker/lawyer types.I am not talking about rich kids hobnobbing at the young republicans(Or conservative for fellow Canadians) convention, but rather grass roots community participation with tangible results.


Most of the younger people tend to be liberal while the current political leaders are more conservation because of the age gap. A lot of younger people often disagree with how things work within the government and as a result, they become disinterested in the whole legal process.
Posted 6/4/09
To be blunt people just don't give a shit anymore, I am a proud independent because I have my own views on certain things and do try not to lean to far right or left. To be honest i did not vote in this past election because neither candidate where worth being in the white house but well what can you do. I mainly watch msnbc and CNN for my news info and read online yahoo news for quick articles, to digs i don't really fox news do the fact that they are really right wing based just watch Sean hannity or Glenn Beck to see what I mean and i can say a lot about Rush Limbaugh but yeah I won't, but back to main topic people nowadays only care about themselves and getting what the want in life instead of fighting for what they believe in.
20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/4/09

Droodika wrote:

I have noticed a troubling trend among my peers, even the ones whom I consider to be intelligent people seem to have no opinions or interest whatsoever in the arena of politics.

Does this generation recoil at what has become a farce of corruption and political theater or does the problem lay even deeper; could it be that our generation simply doesn't care?

Personally I to am disappointed with the state of things, specifically the lack of real voice of opposition in Canadian parliament, as the Liberal and Conservative parties are both chiefly concerned with pandering to their powerful corporate contributors and foreign interests. I am also sad to see as a non American observer what seems to be a complete 180 by the Obama administration with regards to trade and foreign policy. I could go on at length about the alleged treasonous plotting of the Bilderberg Group but that is a level of corruption beyond the ability of average citizens to address.

Take a moment if you will to reflect on our generation and how we are or aren't making a difference. I could really use some uplifting stories about people our age making a difference, rather than these old banker/lawyer types.I am not talking about rich kids hobnobbing at the young republicans(Or conservative for fellow Canadians) convention, but rather grass roots community participation with tangible results.


How do you know about the Bilderberg Group? Because since many Americans didnt realise that some of the top officials in the Obama administration actually attends the secret meeting.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/4/09 , edited 6/4/09

azera wrote:


Droodika wrote:

I have noticed a troubling trend among my peers, even the ones whom I consider to be intelligent people seem to have no opinions or interest whatsoever in the arena of politics.

Does this generation recoil at what has become a farce of corruption and political theater or does the problem lay even deeper; could it be that our generation simply doesn't care?

Personally I to am disappointed with the state of things, specifically the lack of real voice of opposition in Canadian parliament, as the Liberal and Conservative parties are both chiefly concerned with pandering to their powerful corporate contributors and foreign interests. I am also sad to see as a non American observer what seems to be a complete 180 by the Obama administration with regards to trade and foreign policy. I could go on at length about the alleged treasonous plotting of the Bilderberg Group but that is a level of corruption beyond the ability of average citizens to address.

Take a moment if you will to reflect on our generation and how we are or aren't making a difference. I could really use some uplifting stories about people our age making a difference, rather than these old banker/lawyer types.I am not talking about rich kids hobnobbing at the young republicans(Or conservative for fellow Canadians) convention, but rather grass roots community participation with tangible results.


How do you know about the Bilderberg Group? Because since many Americans didnt realise that some of the top officials in the Obama administration actually attends the secret meeting.


What I know about the BB group is largely thanks to Independent media and freelance reporters, I have read various articles on the internet and seen some of the documentaries on youtube. I do not take everything I read at face value, but I do agree that it is criminal and treasonous for our leaders to have secret off the books meetings in such a setting. In fact I think it is actually a federal offense in the US, though I am not sure on how it rates technically here in Canada.

I started to take notice of the BB group after the meeting they held in the mountains west of my city, I found it strange how the mainstream media only had a rather vague low profile series of stories on an event with such high profile dignitaries.

Thinking that I wouldn't know about the BB group because the American public didn't know about them kind of puts me off though. There are a great many things the average American doesn't know.... such as the names of state capitals or the history of their neighboring countries XD and I am not American to begin with. If you can't tell I don't hold a high regard of the average American, but that doesn't mean I wish to see the republic fail.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/4/09 , edited 6/4/09

atomixweepig wrote:

Politics has many problems, many many problems but chiefr among these i think are:

1. Image: Being intelligent is seen as being nerdy and uncool and boring. To be actively involved in politics you need to be smart, look at how many politicians were once lawyers. So if people say " My hobby is politics" then they get laughed at or mocked by 'shallow' people who to be fair probably spend more time reading gossip magazines/websites or red tab newspapers than actually finding out facts about things rather than adopting sensationalist views as their own.
2. Human Herd: Without meaing to sound like a conspiracy theoryist, humanity has been domesticated by mass media. I bet money that your average Joe Bloggs on the street, myself included btw, could name, if shown 100 world politicians and 100 actors, more actors. Recently the Iraq War was basically based on falsified intelligence and lies but the majority dont care. They've been placated by pictures of Paris Hiltons sex tape and Britney Spears shaving her head etc. Maddy McCann went missing however long ago it was, not one of the papers is following it up. Same with the Iraq War, JFK assassination, Roswell incident. These may very well all be completely innocent with perfectly logical, legitimate reasons but theyre out of the public eye so noone who could shed light on these issues will, because not enough people are causing a fuss. The squeeky wheel gets the oil and governemts know people stop squeeking if they can distract them with flashing lights and whistles or the latest episode of Americas got talent or any other 'reality' TV show.
3. The 'On-Demand' society: The current individualistic culture has led to a serious decline in community spirit. If i feel i've been wronged then i can sue someone for compensation. Not actually compensation for any wages, hospital bills etc but an out-and-out lump sum because im greedy. Parents whose children die due to hospital errors shouldnt be allowed money. If genuine negligence has occured then people should be fired or charged with manslaugter but they arent. People just to get their greedy little mitts on some money. This extends to vpeople who watch some TV programme where janet Jackson gets one boob out for ratings and people phone in and complain, id again bet money more people enjoyed it or didnt care than were genuinly offended but those who were offended complained their heartsout because they felt their complaint should be taken to the top because theyre special and they can demand it. Its the reason Youtube and torrents and even this site are so popular. People dont want to wait for anything these days. Why walk to the shops when you can amazon things and have it right away? Why wait until it comes on TV when you can torrent it now? Why wait for a Best Of from a TV show when you can Youtube it now? Why save up and buy somethign when i can have it now on credit? Its this ideal that has led to the global economic crisis, the mass piracy thats going on and the sens that your human rights supersede everything else.
4. The Human Rights Act: the human rights act has done so much to damage and hinder normal social function its untrue. The Tony Martin case is exhibit A, for those who dont know and have actually read this far, 2 burglars in the UK broke into a farmers house, the farmer was home and shot and killed one of the intruders and was jailed for murder. the guy was attacked in the middle of the night by 2 guys and defended his home but was found guilty and jailed. The Human Rights Act was intended to help those most in need of help but has only helped those who can afford 'fancy' lawyers by giving them a fall back. If you break into someones house, there arent that many things on your mind. Theft, murder, rape are pretty muchy your only options and you shouldnt be protected by law once you commit a crime in my book. If you read the Daily Mail then you know that children are running the streets at night with guns and knifes in the UK and they cannot be disciplined by their parents because its inhumane. Im sorry but teenage boys need discipline, sometimes physical if it comes to that or at the very least the threat of it if they croos the line. Before anyone says it, there is a HUGE difference between spanking a child for smoking/sneaking out at night/ stealing money from their parents and physically abusing a child. The line is clear. Anyone who says otherwise is naive and a woman. Im sorry to sound sexist but its true. I myself was never spanked as a child but had i crossed the line i would have been. I was a little s**t as a child but i knew where the line was and not to cross it and i think a minority of children these das would benefit from the same treatment. Tangent over, the Human Rights Act has given people too muchg fear of instilling normal public decency into people because they think theyll end up in jail for human rights buse. Policemen are scared to tackle criminals for fear of being sued. Security guards in most supermarkets/malls wont chase people outside the building for the same reason. They should chase crooks until the ends of the earht and the general public should help them but they cant or wont.
5. Thinking their vote doesnt count: When one party gets 2 million votes and the second place gets 1.8 million people who havent voted feel justified in not voting because their one vote wouldnt have mattered in the grand scheme of things. "Theyd still need 199,999 votes to tie it up" is a pretty common arguement. To be honest its my reason for not going out of my way to vote and it reflects my level of conditioning to point 3 and 4. The individualistic nature of people today has almost completely gotten rid of the ideal of rebellion against certain systems. "Why should i bother when other people will do it?" but people forget that they are one of those people. Governments have been doing their thing for a long time and have gotten good at it. With the proliferation of PCs and the internet it couldnt be that hard to set up a system where everyone in any country is given a unique code/username and can vote on any and every issue when it comes up. Itd be pure democracy in action. People can say "Oh it wouldnt be safe" but how many people use amazon, ebay, play and bank online without problems? Itd cost a lot but it would be doable. It might cost a lot but without trying to sound trite, what cost can you put on actual democracy? One person, one vote. As it stands, winners are chosen by those who turn up and for most people its too much hassle to get to their place of voting when Dancing on Ice is on at the same time.
All these reasons have lead to a public being peer pressured into not caring for fear of mockery, conditioned not to remember what the current politicians have done or how theyve lied, to not care how it affects everyone in their country/region/town but only themselves, to be too scared to speak up or do anything about injustice for fear of reprisals. Humanity has been domesticated and socially conditioned to not care of think outside the box.

Exhibit B: Think of a number, any number you want and ill guess it! Any number at all. Got one? I bet you 1 pund sterling that its a positive, whole number. Out of all the numbers, you chose one that fit into the 1-X category. For those of you who picked a decimal or a negative number, i bet 2 pounds sterling it was stilla number you knew.I bet fifty pounds sterling noone chose a number you didnt know. Not if i phoned my wife/husband, girl/boyfriend, i chose what he/she would pick.
Were more susceptable/ conditioned than you think. Scary no? Anyone who agrees even in part should vote next time they can.

TL:DR? F**K YOU! People like you are the reason why the world is a mess.


On the topic of Image, this can be a problem for some people, there are a LOT of shallow simpletons out there from our generation. That said it is entirely possible to ignore these people and surround yourself with intelligent friends and associates, if someone is a wanton idiot then simply move on and give them no more thought. There are many smart people to be found in our generation also, but it is difficult to get even these people motivated and active in the community. As to the idea that you "need" to have been a lawyer to be a public official, this is unfortunate and quite wrong, people of all walks of life have the right to participate, as do young people, I would go so far as to say that young people are more trustworthy; remember the old adage about not trusting anyone over thirty? Not always the case, but it stands to reason that older people are more interested in the status quo rather than constructive reform.

The problems with our mainstream media are only a symptom of the rise of extreme control by corporate interests, in the days of strong local news stations and papers, community participation was still quite strong. I have no love of the celebrity trash news or reality either. I think there are a LOT of news stories that seem to be swept aside by meaningless drek. The lack of concern by the public when wars are joined under false pretenses is also quite worrying to me.


I disagree with your negative spin on the internet, on the contrary things like youtube and the independent press are the vanguard of free speech, and among the last real sources of firsthand unedited news. When it comes to shopping I like to do a health mix of supporting local business (like using the local comic shops and non chain eating establishments) and web commerce. There is nothing wrong with an electronic economy, in fact it promotes wide markets for small business and weakens the hold of giants like Wal-Mart. Personal Credit can get out of hand for short sighted people, but is hardly the chief cause of this engineered market slump. As for software and media piracy, too bad you have to move with the times, some music artists know this and offer their albums from their site for whatever the fan can pay, and if I pirate a few songs I like, I tend to end up buying an album down the road anyways. Its not much different from recording what is on the radio to a cassette tape.

With regards to private security personnel having their hands tied, I very much agree, I work as a freelance guard and security consultant and have seen numerous examples of guards being powerless against crime, under trained, unarmored, unarmed and in generally ineffective. This is no accident, this is the result of organized crime paying off officials to make their lives easier. Police are more predictable than private investigators, and tend not to be on every street corner. Numerous unfortunate and decent guards have died as a result of a lack of industry standards that ensure they are protecting the public on far less than equal footing to the bad guys. Also the lack of standards results in under trained guards providing a false sense of security that serves to undermine the need for more police funding.

When it comes to the overly litigious trends of Americans I don't have much to add, only that it is far less common where I am from and that our medical system while imperfect to be sure, is at least a humanitarian concern.

Voting: Now here is where I find some problems, major problems. In the USA it has been shown in recent years (Ex: the defeat of the popular vote and the usurping of Al Gore) that votes hardly matter. The disproportional and almost mysterious powers of the electoral college also serve to skew the wishes of the people. And to a more sinister level, which candidates are even legitimate servants of the people anymore, it would seem that everyone is deep in the pocket of some kind of huge wallstreet group, and the lauded Obama seems to be turning quickly into a clone of his predecessor, albeit with a new paint job, I would love to be proved mistaken but his policy decision and lack of follow through on election promises seems to speak for itself.

Even in Canada the system needs reform, a huge problem with both our countries is that vote percentages do not yield the same percentage of power. Major reforms are needed that should take advantage of modern tech to make real democracy possible. As things stand we have at best and oligarchy and at worst pubic government is a farcical show put on for the masses.

I would think however that less than breeding, a weak education system is to blame. In Canada where schools are considered to be of a good standard internationally there is a lack of emphasis on citizenship and how to participate in the community and democratic action. With regards to the US education system, I have read and viewed horrific things that I would be loath to detail.




20924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/5/09

Droodika wrote:


azera wrote:


Droodika wrote:

I have noticed a troubling trend among my peers, even the ones whom I consider to be intelligent people seem to have no opinions or interest whatsoever in the arena of politics.

Does this generation recoil at what has become a farce of corruption and political theater or does the problem lay even deeper; could it be that our generation simply doesn't care?

Personally I to am disappointed with the state of things, specifically the lack of real voice of opposition in Canadian parliament, as the Liberal and Conservative parties are both chiefly concerned with pandering to their powerful corporate contributors and foreign interests. I am also sad to see as a non American observer what seems to be a complete 180 by the Obama administration with regards to trade and foreign policy. I could go on at length about the alleged treasonous plotting of the Bilderberg Group but that is a level of corruption beyond the ability of average citizens to address.

Take a moment if you will to reflect on our generation and how we are or aren't making a difference. I could really use some uplifting stories about people our age making a difference, rather than these old banker/lawyer types.I am not talking about rich kids hobnobbing at the young republicans(Or conservative for fellow Canadians) convention, but rather grass roots community participation with tangible results.


How do you know about the Bilderberg Group? Because since many Americans didnt realise that some of the top officials in the Obama administration actually attends the secret meeting.


What I know about the BB group is largely thanks to Independent media and freelance reporters, I have read various articles on the internet and seen some of the documentaries on youtube. I do not take everything I read at face value, but I do agree that it is criminal and treasonous for our leaders to have secret off the books meetings in such a setting. In fact I think it is actually a federal offense in the US, though I am not sure on how it rates technically here in Canada.

I started to take notice of the BB group after the meeting they held in the mountains west of my city, I found it strange how the mainstream media only had a rather vague low profile series of stories on an event with such high profile dignitaries.

Thinking that I wouldn't know about the BB group because the American public didn't know about them kind of puts me off though. There are a great many things the average American doesn't know.... such as the names of state capitals or the history of their neighboring countries XD and I am not American to begin with. If you can't tell I don't hold a high regard of the average American, but that doesn't mean I wish to see the republic fail.


I'm very glad a Canadian like you is aware about their existence, its time for Americans to know well about the group as most of the well-known figures are attending, plus this meeting is not an ordinary meeting its a meeting where they will discuss about the future. Some independant journalist that covers the event claims that their goals is for new world order, well you might not believe this so called "conspiracy theories" but i am. Yeah its sad that mainstream media is not reporting so well about the event maybe because most of it are owned by the attendee? I think the year that they held the meeting in your country is in 2006 as far as i know.
5231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 6/5/09
I personally don't pay attention to politics because it doesn't interest me at all and I don't feel like knowing current affairs has any practical value to me. I only bother to learn things that interest me or may be useful to me in some way. Knowing about the power struggles of old people in suits doesn't interest me at all. I know that politics has an impact on my life, but as long as I don't have to live in a bomb shelter or stripped of any opportunities, property, or rights that I currently have, then I don't care. I do pay attention to local politics within my state somewhat, but I won't care about anything on the national or global scale until it directly affects me.

I also don't really care about this country. I'm not an anti-American American, but I'm not a flag-waving lunatic either. It's just where I live, and I'm indifferent to it. I don't get involved politically because I don't think I'll make any difference, and I don't care enough to try and make a difference, I'll let the millions of Americans who think it's the best country in the world worry about that. I won't even bother voting when I can because, like digs said, it's just a popularity contest. Most people don't care about the candidate's policies or goals (including myself), they just pick whoever is in the party that they are blindly loyal to, and the only parties that most people care about are the Republican and Democratic parties. Once someone is elected then everyone goes back to ignoring political affairs, which allows people like Obama to completely turn on their promises that they made during the campaign in order to further their selfish goals, because the people who voted for them automatically assume that they are going to do everything that they promised to do during the campaign.
Posted 6/5/09
Personally, I'm only just getting into politics at my age and I think it's hard for me to have a proper opinion (on global politics) when I have so much to catch up on. I dislike people who think that liking tax cuts is a political view. Recently however, I have been catching up on my own countries politics just a bit, by watching parliament sometimes (my goodness it's distressing. Better than say... animal planet reality shows and what not though)

Anyway, even though I'm trying to get an opinion on my own countries politics (that isn't dictated by my parents or those around me), I don't feel it has that much of an effect compared to the bigger countries. Not that I'm going to think negatively and just give up, but I don't feel my own understanding is really relevant to many here. On another note, I'm generally just cynical about politics anyway, it's so easy. Not to mention, I am also cynical towards students who think they understand politics. Ha. Go share your new found knowledge on a forum like me! I don't want to hear it during my social time >.>

I can only assume that many younger people just listen to what their parents say, agree, and get on with other things. It's not really a major interest for most teens, from what I've seen. But maybe they just don't want to express their opinions and I'm wrong. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just because they didn't care, and find other things more important. Not that I think many adults really know much of politics.

ah, that wasn't very well written, sorry.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/5/09

Cuddlebuns wrote:

I personally don't pay attention to politics because it doesn't interest me at all and I don't feel like knowing current affairs has any practical value to me. I only bother to learn things that interest me or may be useful to me in some way. Knowing about the power struggles of old people in suits doesn't interest me at all. I know that politics has an impact on my life, but as long as I don't have to live in a bomb shelter or stripped of any opportunities, property, or rights that I currently have, then I don't care. I do pay attention to local politics within my state somewhat, but I won't care about anything on the national or global scale until it directly affects me.

I also don't really care about this country. I'm not an anti-American American, but I'm not a flag-waving lunatic either. It's just where I live, and I'm indifferent to it. I don't get involved politically because I don't think I'll make any difference, and I don't care enough to try and make a difference, I'll let the millions of Americans who think it's the best country in the world worry about that. I won't even bother voting when I can because, like digs said, it's just a popularity contest. Most people don't care about the candidate's policies or goals (including myself), they just pick whoever is in the party that they are blindly loyal to, and the only parties that most people care about are the Republican and Democratic parties. Once someone is elected then everyone goes back to ignoring political affairs, which allows people like Obama to completely turn on their promises that they made during the campaign in order to further their selfish goals, because the people who voted for them automatically assume that they are going to do everything that they promised to do during the campaign.


Well you claim to care about having your freedoms stripped, I wonder what you would call the patriot act? Or illegal wiretapping? Loss of opportunities, sure lots of that going around after an engineered economic downturn. Looks like you might not have noticed, but of the things you say would bother you, many have some to pass.

I agree with your idea that a two party system is pretty simplistic and fails to produce anything but a stage act. There is a need for real reform before anything resembling actual democracy is reached.
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 6/5/09

cerisey wrote:

Personally, I'm only just getting into politics at my age and I think it's hard for me to have a proper opinion (on global politics) when I have so much to catch up on. I dislike people who think that liking tax cuts is a political view. Recently however, I have been catching up on my own countries politics just a bit, by watching parliament sometimes (my goodness it's distressing. Better than say... animal planet reality shows and what not though)

Anyway, even though I'm trying to get an opinion on my own countries politics (that isn't dictated by my parents or those around me), I don't feel it has that much of an effect compared to the bigger countries. Not that I'm going to think negatively and just give up, but I don't feel my own understanding is really relevant to many here. On another note, I'm generally just cynical about politics anyway, it's so easy. Not to mention, I am also cynical towards students who think they understand politics. Ha. Go share your new found knowledge on a forum like me! I don't want to hear it during my social time >.>

I can only assume that many younger people just listen to what their parents say, agree, and get on with other things. It's not really a major interest for most teens, from what I've seen. But maybe they just don't want to express their opinions and I'm wrong. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just because they didn't care, and find other things more important. Not that I think many adults really know much of politics.

ah, that wasn't very well written, sorry.


Personally I would like to just see people get more active and make a difference at home in their community for now. What you say is true, small countries are pretty much just along for the ride. As a Canadian, though we have abit more influence than you folks in N Z notice this as well, we have a low population compared to other world powers and because of that we can only do so much.

The best we can do in small countries is try to lead by example.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.