First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Emigration to the galaxy due to the enviromental situation.
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/6/09 , edited 6/6/09

ZukoFireBook wrote:

technology is growing so fast , they made flying/floating cars already , cloning (which will be as good as aliens cloning nowadays like instant clone of you exact self at the moment), working on teleporting an apple and stuff like that...you know that the mars atmosphere can be changed with technology to be it a planet that can contain life for a very long time (the sun is the same for mars as if for earth. mars is far but have less protection against it and earth is vice versa so the distance doesn't matter)


No, not cloning! A clone is like a twin! You don't gain immortality through cloning. Real immortality, like keeping your body as young as you want. That would be the only way to force us to leave the planet because the population could only grow. We would have to resolve to wars and killing each other or leave the planet. And if you're immortal, time becomes unimportant. You could travel to the stars and count the years as if they were weeks and months. We would also only have to achieve 3/4 or half of the speed of light to reach the stars.

EDIT: I was wrong! You could transplant you brain into the body of a clone. That way you could live longer but your brain would age. Still no real immortality but probably a lifespan of 200-300 years probably. Tansplanting a brain or a whole head works. ->


A head transplant is a surgical operation involving the grafting of an organism's head onto the body of another. It should not be confused with another, hypothetical, surgical operation, the brain transplant. Head transplantation inevitably involves decapitating the patient. Performed with limited success on dogs, monkeys and rats, no human has yet undergone the procedure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_transplant


And Mars couldn't hold a thicker atmosphere for real. It would be blown away by solar winds by the time. A planet needs a moon and a lot of water to keep an atmosphere. O2 and H2 get blown away by the solar wind, even if there is gravity as on earth.

A moon rotating around a planet keeps the planet's core liquid/rotating and therefore provides a magnetic shield against the solar wind.
6135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Just there.
Offline
Posted 6/6/09
Isn't it that a small plant was found on Mars? So probably, life could exist there. Well I've heard of this a long time ago and Im not sure if this was a proven fact though.
8119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/6/09

sindba-d wrote:


ZukoFireBook wrote:

technology is growing so fast , they made flying/floating cars already , cloning (which will be as good as aliens cloning nowadays like instant clone of you exact self at the moment), working on teleporting an apple and stuff like that...you know that the mars atmosphere can be changed with technology to be it a planet that can contain life for a very long time (the sun is the same for mars as if for earth. mars is far but have less protection against it and earth is vice versa so the distance doesn't matter)


No, not cloning! A clone is like a twin! You don't gain immortality through cloning. Real immortality, like keeping your body as young as you want. That would be the only way to force us to leave the planet because the population could only grow. We would have to resolve to wars and killing each other or leave the planet. And if you're immortal, time becomes unimportant. You could travel to the stars and count the years as if they were weeks and months. We would also only have to achieve 3/4 or half of the speed of light to reach the stars.

And Mars couldn't hold a thicker atmosphere for real. It would be blown away by solar winds by the time. A planet needs a moon and a lot of water to keep an atmosphere. O2 and H2 get blown away by the solar wind, even if there is gravity as on earth.

A moon rotating around a planet keeps the planet's core liquid/rotating and therefore provides a magnetic shield against the solar wind.


Lol I know I was just saying cloning to say how far the technology can go and yes eventually the life holding would get destoryed but it would take damn long of time
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/6/09 , edited 6/6/09

ZukoFireBook wrote:

Lol I know I was just saying cloning to say how far the technology can go and yes eventually the life holding would get destoryed but it would take damn long of time


No no!! I edited my post. I was wrong, you were right! Cloning might be a way.

EDIT: And someday, they'll succesfully transplant a brain.
8119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/6/09

sindba-d wrote:


ZukoFireBook wrote:

Lol I know I was just saying cloning to say how far the technology can go and yes eventually the life holding would get destoryed but it would take damn long of time


No no!! I edited my post. I was wrong, you were right! Cloning might be a way.

EDIT: And someday, they'll succesfully transplant a brain.


well since when people die of old age is because their body stops working and they get sick more often and eventually their body can't keep on working and if you clone yourself and freeze it and do that transplant thing you mentioned when your old (or almost dead) you get a new and young functioning body how science fiction of us lol
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/6/09 , edited 6/6/09

ZukoFireBook wrote:

well since when people die of old age is because their body stops working and they get sick more often and eventually their body can't keep on working and if you clone yourself and freeze it and do that transplant thing you mentioned when your old (or almost dead) you get a new and young functioning body how science fiction of us lol


Horrible isn't it? You would actually kill a person(the clone) to live longer. And we are just a few steps away.

Head transplant is not researched because of ethical reasons. Just think of a dictator like Stalin, Hitler, Hussein, ... laying their hands on technology like that.

They could switch bodys like the emperor in the Star Wars comics. That's no real ScienceFiction anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they present the first cloned human or a successfull head transplant(of an animal) any day. It's even possible that they already work on something like that in some remote dictatorship.

Also the body stops ageing around your 100th birthday. Even people who are older don't die of cancer but of the worn out body. I bet a transplanted brain could live even longer than 200-300 years. Maybe even a 1000 years.
6904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Örebro, Sweden.
Offline
Posted 6/6/09
Well. I heard recently that the first succesfull face transplant had been done.. She looked horrible though, but still. It's a work in progress.
33325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The edge of my wo...
Offline
Posted 6/6/09

sindba-d wrote:


ZukoFireBook wrote:

well since when people die of old age is because their body stops working and they get sick more often and eventually their body can't keep on working and if you clone yourself and freeze it and do that transplant thing you mentioned when your old (or almost dead) you get a new and young functioning body how science fiction of us lol


Horrible isn't it? You would actually kill a person(the clone) to live longer. And we are just a few steps away.

Head transplant is not researched because of ethical reasons. Just think of a dictator like Stalin, Hitler, Hussein, ... laying their hands on technology like that.

They could switch bodys like the emperor in the Star Wars comics. That's no real ScienceFiction anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they present the first cloned human or a successfull head transplant(of an animal) any day. It's even possible that they already work on something like that in some remote dictatorship.

Also the body stops ageing around your 100th birthday. Even people who are older don't die of cancer but of the worn out body. I bet a transplanted brain could live even longer than 200-300 years. Maybe even a 1000 years.


Well it depends on how you look at those bad people, during hitlers time they were 30 years more advanced technology wise than anyone else. and would the clone have a life all its own, or just a lifeless puppet? i am sure we will have to leave someday, with the advances we will make what will be stopping our curiousity?
602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / England :)
Offline
Posted 6/6/09

aeminence wrote:


CharlieLow wrote:


Cyberpirate wrote:

Nah, we will gix problems here on earth.


I'd rather fuck up earth and then go and live in space!!!!!
And then no doubt we'd fuck that up too and have to go live somewhere else :)



If you fuck up living in space im pretty sure you'd be dead before you can do anything about it o.o


True......
Hm, I'm gonna die.
xD
2032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / somewhere hiding
Offline
Posted 6/6/09
If we were going to leave this planet... surely that's for human domination, and not for environmental crisis. And the only reason for us to leave, as far as crisis is concern, is when our planet was destructively hit by a meteor or any space objects outside of the earth. You see, as far as problems are within the earth perhaps can fix within the earth in any chance... Im sure about that. There's a lot of solutions that are under research by now but very promising for the development of the ecology of the earth in the future... like: artificial photosynthesis; fusion power; and the funny thing is, but realistic...scientists start to store all animal's DNA in cryonics so if ever an animal was extinct, just like what happened to the dodo bird, they can revive their DNA afterward, or clone it as what you say. And there's many more... And I don't think humans will leave Earth just like that for any purpose. Think what happen to the Earth in Cowboy Bebop, even Earth was continuously hit by meteors, still there are earthlings living in the planet, because for the simple reason that it is... Earth.
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/6/09 , edited 6/6/09

alox wrote:

Well it depends on how you look at those bad people, during hitlers time they were 30 years more advanced technology wise than anyone else. and would the clone have a life all its own, or just a lifeless puppet?


You could make it the same discussion as with abortion. Take a fetus and destroy the brain as long as it isn't older than 12 weeks. Next keep the body alive as long as it takes for the head to grow huge enough to take the brain of a fully grown human.

It's unethical but it's definitley possible. You wouldn't even have to rely on human wombs. Some japanese scientists already have had some success in creating artifical wombs and you could also use animals to incubate a human newborn. Genetically altered pigs could definitley hold a human fetus.

It's really scary but definitley no real Science fiction anymore. We have the technology. The head transplants so far died of antiimmune reactions. You wouldn't have that problem if the receiving body is a clone and you also wouldn't have to take any medicine to prevent any antiimmune reactions.


alox wrote:

i am sure we will have to leave someday, with the advances we will make what will be stopping our curiousity?


Curiousity is no good reason because manned spacetravel just doesn't pay of. There is no other real reason to leave the planet. Only if some people achieve immortality, the population would definitly grow until huge numbers of people would have to leave the planet.

If you can build a spacecraft that can support human life in space, it would still be cheaper to build a closed space on earth to support life. Also minig the Asteroids has no real use. To get a spaceship to our asteroids and back again would take more money as you get by all the gold/silver/uranium or whatever you could find there.
Posted 6/6/09
don't really care i hope the earth dies and we all die ^^ humanity is so stupid anyways it will happen
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.