First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Underrated Animes are underrated for a reason
Posted 6/20/09

someone173 wrote:

Turn A Gundam: Arguably one of the most underrated gundam series of all time.

Know what seed is? Of course you do, whether you hate it or not. Ever heard of Turn A? No? Well there's several reasons behind it:

1. The designs/ MUSTACHE GUNDAM. Unfortunately, a gundam that broke the rules of the design for a gundam wasn't so well accepted.

Name the first thing that comes to mind.

2. SO LITTLE ACTION. Nowadays, as evidenced by Gundam Seed (Destiny) the average gundam viewers now are fangirls with an attention span of a peanut. Want actions and explosions every 10 seconds? Well you're not gonna get it from this series. On the other hand, it redeemed itself with a great plot, but because no one wants to watch a gundam series that didn't suck, but there's not a lot of stuff blowing up, no one cared anyways.

3. Gundam at the time was at its worst (In Japan). It's last series, Gundam X, flopped because of the horrible time schedule it was cursed with (6AM IN THE GODDAMN MORNING.), among other reasons (blame Gundam Wing?). Bad ratings for the last series didn't help much for the next.

4. Tomino did his best to make the series as uncliched as possible. No, the main character never gets a better gundam halfway in the series. The gundam doesn't appear in the first episode and no main characters (ok maybe one), something that was next to unheard of at the time, considering it was directed by kill 'em all Tomino. Also, the main character was supposed to be female, but sunrise didn't allow it. At least a woman did the voicing.

So with all of these main reasons (along with probably several others), you get one of the best gundam series of all time, yet no one watched it.


oh yes, you're right. i've never heard about that.
thanks for the information.
Posted 6/20/09

GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

rebutting my own opinions is cool but you should give your own examples.


Examples are already given.
I don't neccessarily need to give an example from an anime, since my point is that you didn't understand the definitions of overrated and underrated.


you just cant give any because others mights also rebutt/disagree with you.


Oh, sure. And this is coming from the girl with the Red Herring.


it's just like Anime Motivational Posters-thread..
you either contribute by posting your own, you either not contribute by ranting how it's getting dirtier,
or you just fight with the thread-maker.
Posted 6/20/09

misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

rebutting my own opinions is cool but you should give your own examples.


Examples are already given.
I don't neccessarily need to give an example from an anime, since my point is that you didn't understand the definitions of overrated and underrated.


you just cant give any because others mights also rebutt/disagree with you.


Oh, sure. And this is coming from the girl with the Red Herring.


it's just like Anime Motivational Posters-thread..
you either contribute by posting your own, you either not contribute by ranting how it's getting dirtier,
or you just fight with the thread-maker.


1st of all, you're not getting anything.
What I'm trying to say is that you have not understood the definition of what underrated and overrated means. That doesn't NEED for me to contribute to this thread.
2nd of all, it's up to me whether to contribute or not.
3rdly, if you can't have anything meaningful to say other than "OH BOO HOO, I CAN'T REFUTE YOUR POST SO I R GOING TO POST ABOUT HOW U'RE NOT ON TOPIC BUT IS IRONIC SINCE I R NOT ON TOPIC EITHER", then you're sure proving your point.
Posted 6/20/09

monkeyofdarkness wrote:


nohworryz wrote:

to me, underated animes are ones that were not popular, but when given a chance, you'd find out while watching it that they were very well done. Ookiku Furikabutte is a short series that was excellent but not a huge hit.


That is exactly right if someone wants to go only by popular and overrated anime he might miss some very good anime



lol, i may be guilty of that.
what about those that have biases in anime? i mean, i like shounen animes, and rarely watches shoujo ones...
i guess i tend to classify. maybe i should stop doing that..
Posted 6/20/09

GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

rebutting my own opinions is cool but you should give your own examples.


Examples are already given.
I don't neccessarily need to give an example from an anime, since my point is that you didn't understand the definitions of overrated and underrated.


you just cant give any because others mights also rebutt/disagree with you.


Oh, sure. And this is coming from the girl with the Red Herring.


it's just like Anime Motivational Posters-thread..
you either contribute by posting your own, you either not contribute by ranting how it's getting dirtier,
or you just fight with the thread-maker.


1st of all, you're not getting anything.
What I'm trying to say is that you have not understood the definition of what underrated and overrated means. That doesn't NEED for me to contribute to this thread.
2nd of all, it's up to me whether to contribute or not.
3rdly, if you can't have anything meaningful to say other than "OH BOO HOO, I CAN'T REFUTE YOUR POST SO I R GOING TO POST ABOUT HOW U'RE NOT ON TOPIC BUT IS IRONIC SINCE I R NOT ON TOPIC EITHER", then you're sure proving your point.


wow you're using all caps, i must have hit a gut there.
Posted 6/20/09

misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

rebutting my own opinions is cool but you should give your own examples.


Examples are already given.
I don't neccessarily need to give an example from an anime, since my point is that you didn't understand the definitions of overrated and underrated.


you just cant give any because others mights also rebutt/disagree with you.


Oh, sure. And this is coming from the girl with the Red Herring.


it's just like Anime Motivational Posters-thread..
you either contribute by posting your own, you either not contribute by ranting how it's getting dirtier,
or you just fight with the thread-maker.


1st of all, you're not getting anything.
What I'm trying to say is that you have not understood the definition of what underrated and overrated means. That doesn't NEED for me to contribute to this thread.
2nd of all, it's up to me whether to contribute or not.
3rdly, if you can't have anything meaningful to say other than "OH BOO HOO, I CAN'T REFUTE YOUR POST SO I R GOING TO POST ABOUT HOW U'RE NOT ON TOPIC BUT IS IRONIC SINCE I R NOT ON TOPIC EITHER", then you're sure proving your point.


wow you're using all caps, i must have hit a gut there.


Yes you sure have. Even though you can't see what quotes are, but alright. /sarcasm
But let me put it out in terms that you can understand since you don't seem to be fully operational.
Blah, blah, blah I r right, you r wrong, blah blah blah, my dad's a better pilot than yours.
55846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
70 / M / magic banig
Offline
Posted 6/20/09
woo...alot of bickering in here ...i like this forum topic...
Posted 6/20/09

nohworryz wrote:

woo...alot of bickering in here ...i like this forum topic...


thanks!
Posted 6/20/09

GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:


GintokiSakata wrote:


misspsycho wrote:

rebutting my own opinions is cool but you should give your own examples.


Examples are already given.
I don't neccessarily need to give an example from an anime, since my point is that you didn't understand the definitions of overrated and underrated.


you just cant give any because others mights also rebutt/disagree with you.


Oh, sure. And this is coming from the girl with the Red Herring.


it's just like Anime Motivational Posters-thread..
you either contribute by posting your own, you either not contribute by ranting how it's getting dirtier,
or you just fight with the thread-maker.


1st of all, you're not getting anything.
What I'm trying to say is that you have not understood the definition of what underrated and overrated means. That doesn't NEED for me to contribute to this thread.
2nd of all, it's up to me whether to contribute or not.
3rdly, if you can't have anything meaningful to say other than "OH BOO HOO, I CAN'T REFUTE YOUR POST SO I R GOING TO POST ABOUT HOW U'RE NOT ON TOPIC BUT IS IRONIC SINCE I R NOT ON TOPIC EITHER", then you're sure proving your point.


wow you're using all caps, i must have hit a gut there.


Yes you sure have. Even though you can't see what quotes are, but alright. /sarcasm
But let me put it out in terms that you can understand since you don't seem to be fully operational.
Blah, blah, blah I r right, you r wrong, blah blah blah, my dad's a better pilot than yours.


lol. you sir are amusing, now we're talking about dads here.
(Oh, Happy Father's Day to all dads out there and to my dad!!:)

on-topic:
another underrated anime i know is Absolute Boy/ Zettai Shounen.

~~it's underrated cos it's just really a dragging series with themes that are kind of difficult to relate too. it has two arcs which show a past and a future scenario. it even has UFOs there and weird cats that seemed to be talking to "something". it has a cool artwork but veery slow pacing. Genre is kinda supernatural, can be shojo/shounen. It has only 26 episodes but these are enough to say the whole story. It's not predictable but it isn't that surprisng as well for me. Weird character casts but some are really likeable. It's underrated for me because it's kinda good but not that famous. Well it's famous for being boring but the depth of the anime is really poignant. At some point, it can really make you think. lol, or maybe it's just me.
Be sure to check it out. Here are the screenpics.
source: http://myanimelist.net/anime/308/Zettai_Shounen



55846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
70 / M / magic banig
Offline
Posted 6/20/09

someone173 wrote:

Turn A Gundam: Arguably one of the most underrated gundam series of all time.

Know what seed is? Of course you do, whether you hate it or not. Ever heard of Turn A? No? Well there's several reasons behind it:

1. The designs/ MUSTACHE GUNDAM. Unfortunately, a gundam that broke the rules of the design for a gundam wasn't so well accepted.

Name the first thing that comes to mind.

2. SO LITTLE ACTION. Nowadays, as evidenced by Gundam Seed (Destiny) the average gundam viewers now are fangirls with an attention span of a peanut. Want actions and explosions every 10 seconds? Well you're not gonna get it from this series. On the other hand, it redeemed itself with a great plot, but because no one wants to watch a gundam series that didn't suck, but there's not a lot of stuff blowing up, no one cared anyways.

3. Gundam at the time was at its worst (In Japan). It's last series, Gundam X, flopped because of the horrible time schedule it was cursed with (6AM IN THE GODDAMN MORNING.), among other reasons (blame Gundam Wing?). Bad ratings for the last series didn't help much for the next.

4. Tomino did his best to make the series as uncliched as possible. No, the main character never gets a better gundam halfway in the series. The gundam doesn't appear in the first episode and no main characters die (ok maybe one), something that was next to unheard of at the time, considering it was directed by kill 'em all Tomino. Also, the main character was supposed to be female, but sunrise didn't allow it. At least a woman did the voicing.

So with all of these main reasons (along with probably several others), you get one of the best gundam series of all time, yet no one watched it.


cool...the MUSTACHE GUNDAM...if i can find it, ill try watching it. thx for the heads up!
4451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 6/21/09 , edited 6/21/09
Underrated anime: Shigofumi
-> Deep, angst filled plot
-> Somewhat episodic
-> Doesn't appeal to the majority
-> Unknown seiyuu's, average quality art
-> Not a lot of action

Overall awesome anime with a deep, thought provoking plot. Definitely overlooked and underrated, doesn't get the attention it needs.

Other examples of underrated animes: Law of Ueki, Kekkaishi, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Speed Grapher, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, NHK ni Youkoso, Tokyo Godfathers, Air

Being the most popular anime or the most watched anime doesn't necessarily make it overrated. For example, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Shugo Chara, ect. They appeal to a much younger audience, they haven't achieved a level of taste that is refined as someone who is older or has seen many more types of anime. They see it as awesome, epic, chock full of action that they would love to relate to. They like just about anything that would be 'cool' :P. What makes an anime overrated is the immense praise (hence 'overrated') they get despite being mediocre/less than. There is also the infamous 'just because' factor: just because a lot of people watched it and loved it I will love it too. Good examples of extremely overrated animes are Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Full Metal Alchemist, Lucky Star, ect. Sure they were good, but not so great to create a cult group following/pseudo-religion out of or to boast you saw that so you've seen it all.

Then there are series that are immensely popular but are just, rightfully. These animes have achieved a whole other level awesomeness basically, and should be watched by everyone and praised by everyone. Good examples would be anything by Makoto Shinkai, Hikaru no Go, Last Exile, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan, Mushishi, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, and others.

I may be biased, who knows, but I will, however, boast that my words have some truth behind them, plus I've seen ~2500 episodes of anime - true no life anime watcher lawlz.
624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Australia ^^
Offline
Posted 6/22/09
ahahaha ok this post amused me thank u for that ^^
Underrated:
Death Note
--> Not many episodes compared to some overrated series *cough* Naruto *cough cough*
--> Had a definite ending (despite being strange o.O)
--> Fairly thought provoking and not very much action

I thought it was a fantastic anime personally ^^
3275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 6/22/09
so u dont like naruto? then ur opinion is just shit since its one of
those animes that can drag on and on and still be good.

trinity blood wtf is that aww its one of those clichy shit crap animes that have no originality and suck balls and nobody watches

it comes no surprise that the op is a female.
52969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/09
oh... there's so many animes that have few episodes but still overrated... just like vampire knight and code geass.... And doesn't mean that they have few episodes and they have no chance to be overrated... meh, I still read and watch the episodes/chapters of naruto... I love watching it, but when I watch the vampire knight, I fall asleep and found out that it's soo boring.. And code geass, it only have 20+ episodes, both season1 and 2, but I really like it... It's actually one of my fav. animes..
And Detective Conan is one of the longest anime... I thinbk it has more episodes than Naruto... it has 500++ episodes... But it is not really that overrated... And Inuyasha, one of the longest animes too, still not overrated...
Then about the vampire knight, and i think one of the reasons why vampire knight get overrated because most of the people want vampires.. they are fan of vampires that's why they say they really like it and still watch it.. And because most of the FAN-GIRLS watch animes that have lots of hot boys... it all starts with those fangirls

(BTW, I like the previous posts, I got amused... thanks, and I realized some things)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.