First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What if? An afterlife with an ultimatum
838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/6/09
Hey everyone,

Here's a question for you guys: What would your reaction be, if, when you died, Jesus actually came up to you and asked you if you've been a good Christian, and was there to decide whether or not to let you into Heaven?

Now, personally...I'm agnostic. I was raised in a Christian home, but I kind of abandoned my beliefs somewhere in high school due to some unfortunate events. But, of course, being agnostic, I am fairly open-minded to all sorts of different beliefs and possibilities. But sometimes, I wonder, "What if I'm wrong? What if my parents were right and when I die I won't be able to go to Heaven because I made the choice not to believe anymore?"

Has that ever crossed anyone's mind besides my own?

ANYWAY, I guess what I'm asking , for any non-Christians out there, is, what would you be thinking, what would you say, what would you DO, if, once you died, you discovered an angel or Jesus waiting for you and ready to judge your belifs?

I don't want people to answer this by saying, "That WOULDN'T happen!" if you're not a believer. This is a THEORETICAL discussion. It's a "what if" question.


For me...I think I'd feel surprised at first, and then I'd feel really...disappointed in myself. I'd feel awful because I'd know I screwed myself over by abandoning what my parents taught me. And if Jesus were to point out that I haven't been a good Christian, honestly, I'd probably bow respectfully slightly, and say, "I apologize if I have hurt you, but I will not apologize for the choices I made, because at the times I made those choices, I'd given them a lot of thought, and they seemed right for me. I am at your mercy. Do with me what you will." And then I guess I'd either be allowed into Heaven for being humble and honest, or sent to Hell. *shrug* Who knows?


So yeah. I'm curious to hear about other people's thoughts on this, and what you predict your reaction would be. Can't wait to hear about them.
10513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / In your room stea...
Offline
Posted 7/6/09
I'd probably be rather annoyed if that was the case. I'd call jesus a fool for allowing himself to die a pointless death for other people when they don't give a shit about it, and continue to do what ever it is they wanted to do, i'd tell him he should have fought against the romans, as it was a stupid idea to follow "gods plan" without questioning it, and asking how it benifited him.
Posted 7/6/09
I don't remember it all, so i have to read it again, but Jesus will not be the one to judge you when you die. in the New Testament under the Romans, it says that if we're righteous here on earth all our life & follow God, our name will be recorded in the Book Of Life & that'll show we're saved . but the person who judges you is God alone.
838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/6/09

mystic17 wrote:

I don't remember it all, so i have to read it again, but Jesus will not be the one to judge you when you die. in the New Testament under the Romans, it says that if we're righteous here on earth all our life & follow God, our name will be recorded in the Book Of Life & that'll show we're saved . but the person who judges you is God alone.


Eh, well, whichever. I don't know the story. But the idea is basically the same.
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/6/09
ohhh its Jesus thats doing the judging now?

i thought it was a judge that judged his own creations
like " ohh i made this cake, time to judge it. You fail at making cake, ohh wait i made this cake "

but its the creation judging the creation " hahah he made me better than you "


but seriously, how stupid is the idea of the Judge and the creator being the same person
judging your own creation
Yei
9137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116
Offline
Posted 7/6/09
I wouldn't care because I've been a good moral person, so I'd get to go into heaven. This is assuming Jesus/God is fair and just.
5981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Washington, D.C.
Offline
Posted 7/6/09 , edited 7/6/09
I would be overjoyed that an angel has appeared before me.
Every day I wake, I think about my death and how that rly is the end of me.
That once I die everything disappears.
That I don't have a soul and that I am just a living thing.

To see an angel after passing away - would be the most poetic ending to my existense.

My opinion is, that there wouldn't be a question "Were you a good Christian." I think it would be - "Were you a good person."
Then again, I don't think you'd be asked something like that. I think the angel would be there to help you to the next step.

I know what you're saying though, what if they're right?
Well then my answer would be "I was a selfish one."
No point in lying to a spiritual being that most likely feels things like dishonesty.
Posted 7/6/09
The question is would Jesus be reasonable? He has the power of what is "so be it."
I don't know what he's thinking. I'm not a mind reader just like anybody else here.
He could favor anything with a whim or eradicate everything with a slight of a whim.
Who knows.
Not to mention, we don't know how his mentality goes. We might meet Jesus in Judgment Day having a childish or perverse mentality. Who knows. I don't know.

I, personally, like to meet a cool Jesus. Jesus who is like a stereotypical surfer dude.
Posted 7/6/09
It has. But if that happens, I'll tell the truth.
25823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/09 , edited 7/7/09
man thats not easy to answer but


im flaws not perfect at all so on to avoid tldr thats it
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Mammago Garage, Y...
Offline
Posted 7/7/09

Yei wrote:
This is assuming Jesus/God is fair and just.


He is as long as you're a Christian. If not then you just go to hell, no matter how "good" of a person you were during your life, since not accepting him as your savior is the biggest sin you could ever commit.

First I would be shocked and probably laugh, then get pissed at him for temporarily ruining my life. Then I would accept my eternal damnation with no regrets because I had no way of knowing that he was real, and he never gave me any reason to believe that he was real despite my efforts to find one, which would confirm my suspicions that he simply doesn't like me. Then I could go to hell knowing that I was right all along and that my whole outlook on life wasn't a lie, and that would make the torture more bearable.


10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 7/7/09

Daniel9878 wrote:

ohhh its Jesus thats doing the judging now?

i thought it was a judge that judged his own creations
like " ohh i made this cake, time to judge it. You fail at making cake, ohh wait i made this cake "

but its the creation judging the creation " hahah he made me better than you "


but seriously, how stupid is the idea of the Judge and the creator being the same person
judging your own creation


You shouldn't compare Human beings with cakes. Those cake, after someone created them, they couldn't do anything nor improving themselves. God created humans, and humans could develop their way of thinking and choose the paths they desire. Whether a humans want to be a criminals or good persons, it's their choice, no one controlling them. Because they can develop and think obviously way better than cakes.

It just like farmer grow his field at their farm. The farmers created a yard of plants after a seasons and seasons the times farmers harvest them comes. After the farmers come to harvest his farm, there are plants that can be harvested perfectly BUT there are also plants who didn't grow perfectly as the farmer expected.
The farmer then choose his plants carefully, selecting which plants is more benefit for him. The perfect plants would stay by his side, and the failure plants would be burn because it didn't meet the farmer expectation.

That's also occur in human life, humans are free to choose, the bad way or good way. After the time comes, God will selecting the humans who did good thing in their life to stay by God's side and enjoyed their times, meanwhile the humans who failed to meet God expectation would be burn in hell.....


2693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / guess where
Offline
Posted 7/7/09 , edited 7/7/09
I was also raised as a Christian but ended up being agnostic. I have had the same questions before too. I think that if God does exist and will be the one to judge us when we die, I would accept whatever his judgment would be. If he decides to send me to hell, I will ask him why. I would ask him plenty of questions. I guess I would probably try to reason with him, not because I want to buy my way to heaven but in order to understand his judgment. If I can't understand his reasoning, then I guess that would mean I was right for choosing to be agnostic. Being vindicated is enough for me, whether I be sent to hell or not. Just as Cuddlebuns said, that would make the torture more bearable.
1696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 7/7/09 , edited 7/7/09



Ryutai-Desk wrote:


Daniel9878 wrote:

ohhh its Jesus thats doing the judging now?

i thought it was a judge that judged his own creations
like " ohh i made this cake, time to judge it. You fail at making cake, ohh wait i made this cake "

but its the creation judging the creation " hahah he made me better than you "


but seriously, how stupid is the idea of the Judge and the creator being the same person
judging your own creation


You shouldn't compare Human beings with cakes. Those cake, after someone created them, they couldn't do anything nor improving themselves. God created humans, and humans could develop their way of thinking and choose the paths they desire. Whether a humans want to be a criminals or good persons, it's their choice, no one controlling them. Because they can develop and think obviously way better than cakes.

It just like farmer grow his field at their farm. The farmers created a yard of plants after a seasons and seasons the times farmers harvest them comes. After the farmers come to harvest his farm, there are plants that can be harvested perfectly BUT there are also plants who didn't grow perfectly as the farmer expected.
The farmer then choose his plants carefully, selecting which plants is more benefit for him. The perfect plants would stay by his side, and the failure plants would be burn because it didn't meet the farmer expectation.

That's also occur in human life, humans are free to choose, the bad way or good way. After the time comes, God will selecting the humans who did good thing in their life to stay by God's side and enjoyed their times, meanwhile the humans who failed to meet God expectation would be burn in hell.....





the thing is, 'god' has the power to create and destroy universes
he has the power to create good humans
where as the farmer doesn't have the power to create perfect crops

whats the meaningless point of purposely making failable humans
we have the possibility of failing
its not out of his control, he made us unstable



ok so lets say that i created a robot that could 'develop', and respond to stimulus.
and this robot becomes bad and decides to murder a few people

would the police prosecute me or the robot ????






10652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Indonesia Raya
Offline
Posted 7/7/09

Daniel9878 wrote:


Ryutai-Desk wrote:


Daniel9878 wrote:

ohhh its Jesus thats doing the judging now?

i thought it was a judge that judged his own creations
like " ohh i made this cake, time to judge it. You fail at making cake, ohh wait i made this cake "

but its the creation judging the creation " hahah he made me better than you "


but seriously, how stupid is the idea of the Judge and the creator being the same person
judging your own creation


You shouldn't compare Human beings with cakes. Those cake, after someone created them, they couldn't do anything nor improving themselves. God created humans, and humans could develop their way of thinking and choose the paths they desire. Whether a humans want to be a criminals or good persons, it's their choice, no one controlling them. Because they can develop and think obviously way better than cakes.

It just like farmer grow his field at their farm. The farmers created a yard of plants after a seasons and seasons the times farmers harvest them comes. After the farmers come to harvest his farm, there are plants that can be harvested perfectly BUT there are also plants who didn't grow perfectly as the farmer expected.
The farmer then choose his plants carefully, selecting which plants is more benefit for him. The perfect plants would stay by his side, and the failure plants would be burn because it didn't meet the farmer expectation.

That's also occur in human life, humans are free to choose, the bad way or good way. After the time comes, God will selecting the humans who did good thing in their life to stay by God's side and enjoyed their times, meanwhile the humans who failed to meet God expectation would be burn in hell.....





the thing is, 'god' has the power to create and destroy universes
he has the power to create good humans
where as the farmer doesn't have the power to create perfect crops

whats the meaningless point of purposely making failable humans
we have the possibility of failing
its not out of his control, he made us unstable

ok so lets say that i created a robot that could 'develop', and respond to stimulus.
and this robot becomes bad and decides to murder a few people

would the police prosecute me or the robot ????


Yes what you said is true about God has power to creates entirely good humans from the beginning and farmer's power who is unable to do that.The difference is Objectives. Farmer's objectives is to harvest his plants all good, while God. Creates humans a human who has free will to chose whether he wants to be a good or evil.

If the God creates human all good. Then, there's no purpose to obey him, follows his teaching(religion). Since we will be fine without God interfere human's life. Then if all humans are good, there's no purpose believing in him. Thus, there will be no religion and there will be no one needs God, since all humans are already good after all.

Referring to your question about Robot.
I think it would be robot's fault if the robot has will to decide whether he want to be a good robot or not.

Please take reference to The Matrix and I-Robots (Movies) or Time Eve (anime) about machines and robot's laws.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.