First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Avatar Movie is Racist
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Why
Offline
Posted 7/14/09 , edited 1/7/10
People have been complaining that the cast for the avatar movie is racist because 3 of the 4 mains are white while the others are indians and asians. This sounds like whining because people didn't get what they want. Sokka and katara could use work but the thing is aang. Aang has the qualities of a white person for a monk . In the cartoon he is colored white. The only thing asian about him is his leg crossing and hiswanting world peace which everyone has in them. The racebending site also complained about being too racist with autobots skids and mudflap. WTF. Back to the movie, all I care about is whether or not they will stick to the story and the characters aspects. I know casting might or totally suck making your first impression that the movie will suck but do we really need to go this far? Oh yeah their preventing racism is starting racism to white people im sorry. Oh yeah here's a promo pic for the movie
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Why
Offline
Posted 7/14/09
sorry didn't really make myself clear the actual title is Avatar Movie is Racist?
1408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/15/09
i was disapointed when i saw some of the cast for avatar...to tell yue the truth
9982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/15/09
This should be good to see..
322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Somewhere you're not
Offline
Posted 7/15/09 , edited 7/15/09

gwingman wrote:

People have been complaining that the cast for the avatar movie is racisst because 3 of the 4 mains are white while the others are indians and asians. This sounds like whining because people didn't get what they want. Sokka and katara could use work but the thing is aang. Aang has the qualities of a white person for a monk . In the cartoon he is colored white. The only thing asian about him is his leg crossing and hiswanting world peace which everyone has in them. The racebending site also complained about being too racist with autobots skids and mudflap. WTF. Back to the movie, all I care about is whether or not they will stick to the story and the characters aspects. I know casting might or totally suck making your first impression that the movie will suck but do we really need to go this far? Oh yeah their preventing racism is starting racism to white people im sorry. Oh yeah here's a promo pic for the movie


Your post is actually racist:

The only thing asian about him is his leg crossing and his wanting world peace
Have you ever heard the term stereotyping? How about generalizing? As far as your argument, it’s true. Aang was drawn white, but so were most of the other side characters. So, if they wanted to stay true to the anime then they would’ve gotten an almost all white cast. But they didn’t.

This being said, Avatar was a very well done anime. It had a good story line that was simple enough to be grasped by small children but also generally mature enough to suit an older audience. The writing was wonderful and had a consistent scheme. At many points it demonstrated that the writers actually had a plan for the whole series, subtly referencing earlier episodes. It was creative and based on an intriguing idea. The characters were consistent and likeable, with the exception of that episode with the bad guys on Ember Island.

Never the less it also consisted of four books with like, what, twenty episodes. That’s eighty thirty minute episodes. Trying to squeeze that into a two and a half hour segment will be a bitch.
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Why
Offline
Posted 7/16/09

Ahaz wrote:


gwingman wrote:

People have been complaining that the cast for the avatar movie is racisst because 3 of the 4 mains are white while the others are indians and asians. This sounds like whining because people didn't get what they want. Sokka and katara could use work but the thing is aang. Aang has the qualities of a white person for a monk . In the cartoon he is colored white. The only thing asian about him is his leg crossing and hiswanting world peace which everyone has in them. The racebending site also complained about being too racist with autobots skids and mudflap. WTF. Back to the movie, all I care about is whether or not they will stick to the story and the characters aspects. I know casting might or totally suck making your first impression that the movie will suck but do we really need to go this far? Oh yeah their preventing racism is starting racism to white people im sorry. Oh yeah here's a promo pic for the movie


Your post is actually racist:

The only thing asian about him is his leg crossing and his wanting world peace
Have you ever heard the term stereotyping? How about generalizing? As far as your argument, it’s true. Aang was drawn white, but so were most of the other side characters. So, if they wanted to stay true to the anime then they would’ve gotten an almost all white cast. But they didn’t.

This being said, Avatar was a very well done anime. It had a good story line that was simple enough to be grasped by small children but also generally mature enough to suit an older audience. The writing was wonderful and had a consistent scheme. At many points it demonstrated that the writers actually had a plan for the whole series, subtly referencing earlier episodes. It was creative and based on an intriguing idea. The characters were consistent and likeable, with the exception of that episode with the bad guys on Ember Island.

Never the less it also consisted of four books with like, what, twenty episodes. That’s eighty thirty minute episodes. Trying to squeeze that into a two and a half hour segment will be a bitch.


Look Im not trying to be racist or anything. But here's a problem almost everyone is saying about aang. He is a monk and all monk's are asian. Does being a monk necessarily mean you have to be asian? That's just grouping because of one occupation, the whole race takes that occupation (I am not going to list). But anyways I didn't mean what I said about the asian thing sorry If I offended you. Also, some of the arguments you said like the whole white cast. If like almost every character is white, it's boring and it would not define the world. The casting for the movie is diverse, I mean fire, earth, water, and air act as though they weredifferent races and all these people are only seeing is the main. Also there is three chapters, two are 20 eps long and one is 21. Fitting it all is no problem because they're making it into a trilogy.
322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Somewhere you're not
Offline
Posted 7/16/09

gwingman But here's a problem almost everyone is saying about aang. He is a monk and all monk's are asian.Does being a monk necessarily mean you have to be asian? That's just grouping because of one occupation, the whole race takes that occupation (I am not going to list). But anyways I didn't mean what I said about the asian thing sorry If I offended you. Also, some of the arguments you said like the whole white cast. If like almost every character is white, it's boring and it would not define the world. The casting for the movie is diverse, I mean fire, earth, water, and air act as though they weredifferent races and all these people are only seeing is the main. Also there is three chapters, two are 20 eps long and one is 21. Fitting it all is no problem because they're making it into a trilogy.



Yeah, you’re completely right. An all white cast would ignore the culture the animators obviously intended whenever they created Avatar. This being said, Aang is a part of that world too. By casting Aang as white we’re ignoring his culture. Being a monk doesn’t mean he has to be Asian or Indian--but in this case all of the monks were written to be air benders. Aang is an air bender. So, if they’re casting the other monks--the other air benders--to be Asian or Indian then Aang should be Asian or Indian. Do you understand?

The animators say that Aang is an Air Bender. The casting crew says that Air Benders are Asian/Indian; therefore, Aang should logically been Asian/Indian. But he’s not, and now the question is why? By all appearances it does seem racist. Are Asians and Indians only talented enough for side roles? All three of your stars have to be white?

The truth is that race is a factor. Look at the Power Rangers. This children’s show was originally aired in Japan with a Japanese cast. When it came to America they kept all of the low quality effects and battle scenes, even the same script. Many of the scenes were literally transferred over…but, that’s only when the Japanese actors are in full plastic suits and their features cannot be seen. When they’re out of costume these men and women were replaced on screen by young American actors.
Kiki's Customer Support Service
Kiki 
100410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 7/16/09
How is the cast racist when it has mixed races in it? =__=;
Plus you shouldn't judge the cast when the movie hasn't already come out yet.
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Why
Offline
Posted 7/16/09

Ahaz wrote:


gwingman But here's a problem almost everyone is saying about aang. He is a monk and all monk's are asian.Does being a monk necessarily mean you have to be asian? That's just grouping because of one occupation, the whole race takes that occupation (I am not going to list). But anyways I didn't mean what I said about the asian thing sorry If I offended you. Also, some of the arguments you said like the whole white cast. If like almost every character is white, it's boring and it would not define the world. The casting for the movie is diverse, I mean fire, earth, water, and air act as though they weredifferent races and all these people are only seeing is the main. Also there is three chapters, two are 20 eps long and one is 21. Fitting it all is no problem because they're making it into a trilogy.



Yeah, you’re completely right. An all white cast would ignore the culture the animators obviously intended whenever they created Avatar. This being said, Aang is a part of that world too. By casting Aang as white we’re ignoring his culture. Being a monk doesn’t mean he has to be Asian or Indian--but in this case all of the monks were written to be air benders. Aang is an air bender. So, if they’re casting the other monks--the other air benders--to be Asian or Indian then Aang should be Asian or Indian. Do you understand?

The animators say that Aang is an Air Bender. The casting crew says that Air Benders are Asian/Indian; therefore, Aang should logically been Asian/Indian. But he’s not, and now the question is why? By all appearances it does seem racist. Are Asians and Indians only talented enough for side roles? All three of your stars have to be white?

The truth is that race is a factor. Look at the Power Rangers. This children’s show was originally aired in Japan with a Japanese cast. When it came to America they kept all of the low quality effects and battle scenes, even the same script. Many of the scenes were literally transferred over…but, that’s only when the Japanese actors are in full plastic suits and their features cannot be seen. When they’re out of costume these men and women were replaced on screen by young American actors.

Yes you are totally right about the race factor, i mean in the Japanese world, a movie with all Japanese feels comforting for them and using other races would seem like a really akward movie. America is a diverse country open to all the races in the world, so making a movie would seem complicated. In one way you could flatter a race yet at the same time you can insalt the other. Think of the movie about 9/11, and that's as far as I'm going. Also think of a movie where it takes place in a place like Harlem, if you see a white a person in there, that person is just making himself look stuid (no offense).

One more thing I like to add is I totally forgot about the person playing aang. The thing is I don't know what he is.You look at the picture of him playing as aang, he looks kind of Asian. So I thought about that maybe there's asian in him. He could be a bleached asian, part asian, or just a white person who looks like an asian. First he knows martial arts. Second the he is a newcomer. Producers are going at a long shot to use a newcomer like Christopher Mintz-Plasse who played McLovin in Superbad, Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls, and Billy Soo-hoo who was the kid smuggler in Tropic Thunder. The problem is maybe they could use a newcomer kid who is asian. Well that's what I thought until I realised good martial arts is needed, and at the age of ten to twelve, this kid maybe a prodigy in martial arts and to learn good martial arts at the age of ten to twelve even for asians (sorry if I offend anyone about this, I have never known martial arts, only by anime and maybe it can take that much or that kid is not a prodigy).
Posted 7/16/09
I thought it was filmed by Cameron. If it's Nighty, don't think about racism because he'll make a twist when Asians become Europeans and Africans become Indians in the end.
248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/17/09
It must have been hard for the Avatar Movie Crew to look for actors who looked exactly like the characters in the anime. But I'm pretty sure they wanted that. Maybe there were those who auditioned that did look like the characters but were not really that very good actors. The Last Airbender cast may not look like how they should but MAYBE they can portray the characters really well. Maybe the basis for the casting is their acting skills and not the looks. We'll never really know til we see it. If the movie turns out great, then that's awesome. But if it turns out bad, then it was at least a good try.
1810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Work
Offline
Posted 7/18/09
I want to watch Avatar -- it looks good
2890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / sexiness
Offline
Posted 7/18/09
so what if hes white maybe he can act well, just cause if hes not asian doesn't mean that hes gonna do great and all wtf how do u know aang is asian just cause he has a flat nose?? and the series wasn't even created by japanese ppl assholes just cause its a fukin cartoon u all ppl think tht japanese ppl made it, the writers are white they were created by Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, u ppl are soo fukin ignorant
2233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Why
Offline
Posted 7/18/09

assassian_creed wrote:

so what if hes white maybe he can act well, just cause if hes not asian doesn't mean that hes gonna do great and all wtf how do u know aang is asian just cause he has a flat nose?? and the series wasn't even created by japanese ppl assholes just cause its a fukin cartoon u all ppl think tht japanese ppl made it, the writers are white they were created by Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, u ppl are soo fukin ignorant


wait are you talkin about this forum or the outside because im with you
Posted 7/18/09
Who knows It might be good



















Just kidding. this movie will suck!!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.