First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Filipino teenagers abroad..
6369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/12/11
Well from what I observed MOST of my filipino friends here in Canada changed. They've become more materialistic and apathetic. Some pretended to not know how to speak Filipino, how foolish. However, I tried to be myself despite the fact that in some of my university classes I'm the only asian. Ano man kasi ang lahi, pareho naman tayong tao eh
17485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/13/11

kiefer_023 wrote:

Hi guys! Nag-google ng "Filipino teenagers living in Canada" at ito ang unang link ng website ang napindot ko, so sa kadahilanang gusto kong mag-tanong at mag-share, napa-sign up ako. :)

So ganto yung, Im a filipino living here in SK, Canada. July 7 2010 kami nag-migrate dito, grade 9 (14 y/o) ako sa school dito, pero sa sobrang LUCKY ko(sarcasm), AKO LANG ang PINOY sa school namin. ANg hirap mag-adjust at ang hirap mag-fit in! Simpe lang naman ang mga teenagers dito sa SK, pero ang hirap paring makibagay at mag-fit in. Im very silent, at hindi ako makapag-approach sa mga kaklase ko (bcoz of nahihiya ako), unang una na sa liit kong ito 5'5 and half at lalake pa ako, nakakawalang kompiyansa, although nakakasabay ako sa kanila sa academics, so bakit ganun.

Any ADVICE? Would APPRECIATE it SO MUCH! Thanks!


learn no to be shy i was shy before too when i moved but i got over it. . .although change isn't quick, its gradual so don't be discouraged easily. Just smile at a person who is nice looking everyday. . .and maybe they'll notice you and talk to you. Or maybe pretend not to know the class material and ask your seatmate for help or try seeing if your seatmate gets the stuff, if not then you try and teach him/her. Fitting in is someone everyone tries to do, just try not to make yourself uncomfortable too much. Also you're 5'5, i'm 4'11. . .you can do it! I moved last september from another place and although i did manage to find some friends, we are still not close. . .being close can only be acquired after a long period of time. Sorry I'm so not used to writing filipino anymore, I do speak it at home but as I was always bad at filipino class (reading and writing tagalog is hard for me) even in the philippines, I prefer writing in english.
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11
I don't think they change their ways just to fit in. Do not judge those who go abroad just because they don't do the usuals. People need to change sometimes, they need to assimilate with their environment. Filipino people think that those who go abroad and change their ways are "feelingero/feelingera". No. There are reasons why people go away and change. This doesn't mean na they always change into liberated people or whatever change you indicate. You can't prove to me that Filipinos living in the Philippines are not liberated. People are just different. People change because they chose to and we shouldn't judge that. I live in the US but I'm proud to be a Filipino. I got friends here and I got friends back in the Philippines.
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

isce2isce wrote:

Well from what I observed MOST of my filipino friends here in Canada changed. They've become more materialistic and apathetic. Some pretended to not know how to speak Filipino, how foolish. However, I tried to be myself despite the fact that in some of my university classes I'm the only asian. Ano man kasi ang lahi, pareho naman tayong tao eh


From my perspective, you're no different. The way you convey how they become apathetic just shows how you willfully judge others. Be yourself if you want. Let them be themselves. You can't just tell people who they should be. They got their own lives and that doesn't mean they change-- it means they just showed the world who they really are.

3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

kiefer_023 wrote:

Hi guys! Nag-google ng "Filipino teenagers living in Canada" at ito ang unang link ng website ang napindot ko, so sa kadahilanang gusto kong mag-tanong at mag-share, napa-sign up ako. :)

So ganto yung, Im a filipino living here in SK, Canada. July 7 2010 kami nag-migrate dito, grade 9 (14 y/o) ako sa school dito, pero sa sobrang LUCKY ko(sarcasm), AKO LANG ang PINOY sa school namin. ANg hirap mag-adjust at ang hirap mag-fit in! Simpe lang naman ang mga teenagers dito sa SK, pero ang hirap paring makibagay at mag-fit in. Im very silent, at hindi ako makapag-approach sa mga kaklase ko (bcoz of nahihiya ako), unang una na sa liit kong ito 5'5 and half at lalake pa ako, nakakawalang kompiyansa, although nakakasabay ako sa kanila sa academics, so bakit ganun.

Any ADVICE? Would APPRECIATE it SO MUCH! Thanks!



I'm here at USA and I'm the only Filipino in my classes. Sa thread na to, majority thinks that living abroad is bad, that living abroad changes your morality, changes you. I disagree on that. You're a guy, right? Just be yourself. Being yourself doesn't mean you just wander off letting people adjust to you. You're living in a different place, learn to adjust. I know you got some talents that can make people recognize you. Get out of your comfort zone and stop being shy. I know it's hard. I'm a shy person too. And as much as possible, I don't want to talk in english. But, nasa ibang bansa tayo and we need to deal with it. Kaya mo yan. Find people who share the same interests with you. Join groups or communities in your school. Talk to the person sitting next to you. And, height doesn't matter, I'm sure someone will appreciate you and will overlook physical appearance.

3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

ArtsyxFreak22 wrote:

I agree somewhat. I see them all the time at the airport, buying expensive things they really don't need or wearing winter clothes even in the Philippines to look sophisticated. It's somewhat present in our Filipino community here in Japan since most kids here have been living here for 9 years (I've only lived in Japan for 5 years) and they've forgotten how to speak filipino (or if they do, they have a really obvious accent) and they're very Americanized. However, they do show pinoy traits such as being polite to parents/elders/superiors/etc, and they're very nice and intelligent. There are a few exceptions though


It depends on people-- really. We can't judge them in general.
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

lolove18 wrote:

we are about to migrate in US, after one year..
as I observe, nagiging feeling na talaga mga filipino teens na nagmimigrate..
maganda naman maging simple lng, as you are at kung ano ka Pinas..


Not everyone. Do not generalize. HIndi lahat ng nasa pinas, simple. I think you know that. Additionally, not everyone in the US are liberated. I think you also know that there are a lot of liberated pinoys and pinays too. It depends naman kasi sa tao. Sometimes you need to adapt diba? Because you're not living in your comfort zone anymore. Stop judging those who change. They chose to change. They're comfortable with that. That defines who they are now. So stop saying na feeling na mga tao sa US. No, we're not.
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

matsuchin wrote:


emld571995 wrote:


bitkong wrote:

blahh,, as always, discrimination, racism, etc. what do you expect? so you must go stereotyping(go where you belong) to avoid being treated like following. so guys, don't judge. if you have a friend, especially a "balikbayan", it's obvious that they will act weird because of the experience and environment that they've been through and believe me, it's not what you think it is(ex: being the only ASIAN in school). you must have the guts just to stare forward in front of many WHITE people and hear words like "DIE CHINESE COMMUNIST!(mistaken for having kinky eyes), or "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT!"( famous racial slur for the mexicans because some are crossing the U.S. border illegally) because filipinos have the same skin features as mexicans. well, im just telling you that life on abroad(as an immigrant) sucks especially if your a teenager. so i guess some pinoys here just want to work, invest on the philippines, retire, then FLY back home.

ps: I miss ILIGAN


That explains..


yeah I agree


I don't agree. This is not entirely true. Where did you get your facts? Unlike from what most people think, they don't discriminate us like that and people don't change because of that. They change because they want to. Teenager life abroad doesn't suck-- not for most people. Filipinos are gifted people, sometimes they stand among the rest. It gives them the capability to adapt, make meaning friendship, and not be discriminated. I'm the only Pinay in all of my classes, and I DISAGREE on this post. I think most Pinoy living here in the US would disagree. Honestly, Americans are less discrininative than Filipinos. Why? Hindi nyo ba napapansin that most job offers often says "With pleasing personality only", mga artista sa Pinas, basta maganda, pasok sa showbiz. They don't even recognize talent without face value. Pag maitim ang pinoy, panget na. Can you believe that? Filipinos being discrimanative of their fellow citizens. How sad.
6369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/14/11
thanks for the time to reply on my post. however, i must say that i judge people who i think they are coz that's being mee..also what i said is true at all (based on subjective observation). unfortunately, being straightforward is my personality. so it depends to people like you how to react what i just said.

in addition, i didn't mention that i did tell people "who they should be" as quoted from your reply.

3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/14/11

isce2isce wrote:

thanks for the time to reply on my post. however, i must say that i judge people who i think they are coz that's being mee..also what i said is true at all (based on subjective observation). unfortunately, being straightforward is my personality. so it depends to people like you how to react what i just said.

in addition, i didn't mention that i did tell people "who they should be" as quoted from your reply.




We tend to judge subjectively but sometimes there are things our senses cannot simply conceive unless we dig in deeper. People are different. What I'm just trying to say let's not stereotype. We have our rights for opinions but we don't have any rights to judge others. I mean, did it ever happen to you that you often see this girl who likes to dress less and apply loads of make up on her face and we instantly think she's a slut. It happened to me. I must admit I have my opinions too and I have all the negative loads I can carry. But I started to know her. And now, she's my bestfriend. Just sharing.
6369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/15/11
I don't stereotype people that's why I mentioned the word MOST instead of ALL. When i said the word "materialistic" and "apathetic" I mean it coz they are my FRIENDS and they know that's how I usually think of them in an honest way. So I don't judge PEOPLE randomly, it's my friends who are involved with. I knew them for a very long time - their personalities, lifestyles, etc. So I don't generalize.

Again, thanks for sharing.
348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 3/31/11
well relax. that's for my own opinion.. maybe not everybody there are changing as they were when they're still here in Phil.. its just my observation though, coz I observe that the teen pinays/pinoys migrating US certainly change.. sorry for the sort of judgement to you, but im just being carefree to show what I observe.
143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/10/11
ahahah... i'm in UK too.. and i guess i do those things as well.. yes to avoid discrimination (they always call me chinese at first -.-) but i don't really want to copy most of their bad attitude and behaviour especially to parents and teachers.. i have to admit that my manners have gone down since i've left home but only to the people around my age i guess... i still have some respect to all adults around me but i know when i go back home i will forget little things such as saying "po" to adult/ elders, i might call 'ates and kuyas by their first name by accident... maybe evenu makalimutan mag-mano to my uncles and aunties haha
599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Phoenix Arizona
Offline
Posted 3/14/12
This just happened to my cousin, but he seems to have adjusted well. He's tall and handsome and of course fluent in English, so it was just a matter of changing the slang he used and then he was popular in his new American school. -shrugs- Didn't seem to be a big deal to him. Just a change of scenerie, I guess.
Posted 3/19/12
Sometimes people change and they do not notice it because of the environment they're living in..
sometimes not just to adjust. And it's their way of adapting. .
well that pretty much depends if you would really let them influence you
Posted 3/24/12
Honestly?
I was born and raised in the US and ive been back to the PI 3 or 4 times truly loved it, this question to me is very shallow and ill explain why. I chose to hang out with whomever I wanted, the US has that freedom. May it be stereotypical or whatever you wanna call it nowadays...I call it "THAT'S JUST WHO I AM" In the PI ive also noticed different sets of crowds...just like anywhere you have the rich kids the poor kids the nerds jocks etc. To be honest I like seeing other Filipino's in the US. Specially those MOMS who are supercute when they always try to feed you...LOL
Also, its because I hang out with different races and ethnicity that I learn more and more about different cultures and many wonderful lessons. Its because we are all different that makes this wonderful world of ours so interesting. so instead of paying attention to other Filipinos why don't you just live your life and have an adventure in that new country your currently at
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.