First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Book of the Month
Member
63184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/4/09
So anyone want to do a book club through the forums?

We have the mods pick a selection of books, we take a poll to pick one and then everyone has a week or two to read it, then we do a book discussion over the forums?

This would promote forum activity and the all important idea of reading.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/4/09 , edited 8/4/09

Uzd2bsane wrote:

So anyone want to do a book club through the forums?

We have the mods pick a selection of books, we take a poll to pick one and then everyone has a week or two to read it, then we do a book discussion over the forums?

This would promote forum activity and the all important idea of reading.


Good idea! :D

Only one problem, I'm sure many of us don't want to actually go out and buy the book every month, so what do we do about that?

Mmm I'll look for websites that you can read books from...

Moderator
2257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/5/09

Uzd2bsane wrote:

So anyone want to do a book club through the forums?

We have the mods pick a selection of books, we take a poll to pick one and then everyone has a week or two to read it, then we do a book discussion over the forums?

This would promote forum activity and the all important idea of reading.





BlackMagic98 wrote:
Good idea! :D

Only one problem, I'm sure many of us don't want to actually go out and buy the book every month, so what do we do about that?

Mmm I'll look for websites that you can read books from...



Great idea both of you.

Once magic has a site we can take a gander at it and compile a list for the members to vote on.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/5/09


I found a couple websites that look promising.

http://www.readprint.com/
http://manybooks.net//
http://www.online-literature.com/author_index.php
http://www.authorama.com/

We probably won't be able to get at lesser-known books so we should keep that in mind. Oh and if reading books online doesn't work out, perhaps we could use stories that aren't necessarily books? FanFiction.Net has a partner site, its called FictionPress, and its a site where people write stories (not fanfictions). I've read a couple that I thought were really good.

I always did find it kind of nice when you could share your thoughts about a story with the author themselves, which you can't ever really do with published books.
Moderator
2257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/5/09 , edited 8/5/09

BlackMagic98 wrote:



I found a couple websites that look promising.

http://www.readprint.com/
http://manybooks.net//
http://www.online-literature.com/author_index.php
http://www.authorama.com/

We probably won't be able to get at lesser-known books so we should keep that in mind. Oh and if reading books online doesn't work out, perhaps we could use stories that aren't necessarily books? FanFiction.Net has a partner site, its called FictionPress, and its a site where people write stories (not fanfictions). I've read a couple that I thought were really good.

I always did find it kind of nice when you could share your thoughts about a story with the author themselves, which you can't ever really do with published books.


Sounds good. I'll check out some of those links now.

EDIT: The first site is great. We can use that one for any selection of classics. I also like the idea of fictionpress, as I too frequent the site.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/5/09


Haha I really liked the first one too.

Why thank you. Read anything worth mentioning? I don't browse around the site much at all lately, I do visit at least once a week because there's an ongoing story I've been reading.

The rare times I go to FF.net I only read romance, but its the opposite with FictionPress. I guess its because I can't like the story without being very familiar with the characters. And making up new adventures for a story that has already ended holds no appeal for me. Romance novels are boring anyway, and I'm guessing most are rather...gross too.
Member
63184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/5/09
BTW I'm partial to science fiction and or fantasy...
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/5/09
Mmm I prefer fantasy as well. Oh and it MUST be fiction. Non-fiction bores me, usually because its not actually a story.

Other preferred genres are action/adventure and historical fiction.
Member
15623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Labs, towns, citi...
Offline
Posted 8/6/09 , edited 8/6/09
How can we make sure that the maximum number of people all want to participate? What book do we pick?

In any case, as long as we pick a work of fiction, I'd probably be happy to participate. Even if I don't like the book, the discussions will be gratifying.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/18/09

The_8th_Sin wrote:

How can we make sure that the maximum number of people all want to participate? What book do we pick?

In any case, as long as we pick a work of fiction, I'd probably be happy to participate. Even if I don't like the book, the discussions will be gratifying.


Well I don't know which book we are going to pick. But I was thinking when we had a book in mind, I would send out a PM to all the members about it.
Moderator
2257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/22/09

Uzd2bsane wrote:

BTW I'm partial to science fiction and or fantasy...


As am I Uzd, as am I.


BlackMagic98 wrote:

Mmm I prefer fantasy as well. Oh and it MUST be fiction. Non-fiction bores me, usually because its not actually a story.

Other preferred genres are action/adventure and historical fiction.


You and I usually agree on most things Magic, however I disagree wholeheartedly with your assertion that non-fiction works contain no story.


The_8th_Sin wrote:

How can we make sure that the maximum number of people all want to participate? What book do we pick?

In any case, as long as we pick a work of fiction, I'd probably be happy to participate. Even if I don't like the book, the discussions will be gratifying.


The normal process, at least in the clubs I have attended, if for the library to produce a list of their book sets and for the members to write down a short list of books. Since we have infinity at our fingertips, I would say that we could all submit a list of perhaps three novels (of any genre, though I would advise against erotica...) and either vote as a group or randomly chose one from a member each month?

I would say a stipulation is that the book in question should not be from mid-way through a series if it is an 'assumed knowledge' kind of book. I.e. You have to have read it's former books to follow the plot.

Also, please don't list 'War and Peace', it needs to be a realistic read that all can fit into their various scheduals. Oh, and it's not that great of a book. I read it several years ago and have not had the urge to since.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/22/09 , edited 8/22/09


Perhaps I haven't come into contact with enough of them, to me when I hear non-fiction, I automatically think of books that are just a collection of facts. (Like books about polar bears.) These are all the non-fiction books that were in my school libraries.

I avoid non-fiction books like the plague so I never really bothered looking for them in bookstores either, mostly because I had a book in mind before I walked into the store.

I will go browse through for some...eventually. Its also because I'm still a kid, I want to read fiction as much as I can now, at a time where I'll enjoy it most. Stories won't feel as magical and stuff when I'm older, because you lose all your naivety. Meh being an adult is going to suck.

Moderator
2257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/22/09 , edited 8/22/09

BlackMagic98 wrote:
Perhaps I haven't come into contact with enough of them, to me when I hear non-fiction, I automatically think of books that are just a collection of facts. (Like books about polar bears.) These are all the non-fiction books that were in my school libraries.

I avoid non-fiction books like the plague so I never really bothered looking for them in bookstores either, mostly because I had a book in mind before I walked into the store.

I will go browse through for some...eventually. Its also because I'm still a kid, I want to read fiction as much as I can now, at a time where I'll enjoy it most. Stories won't feel as magical and stuff when I'm older, because you lose all your naivety. Meh being an adult is going to suck.



Man oh man do I feel old when I talk to you lot. There are all sorts of Non-fiction texts. For example, a Biography or Autobiography is a non-fiction book. One of my favourite places to spend time is browsing a book store (Mostly Borders) or the camping, fishing and hiking store 'Anaconda'.

I can see your point on the loss of naivety, however I do still enjoy the mystery and wonder of fiction.
Moderator
23257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In an Ideal World...
Offline
Posted 8/22/09 , edited 8/22/09


Haha. I'll take that as a compliment.

Well yeah I know biographies are non-fiction, but like those, most of the ones I've come into contact with have been rather boring to read. It'd be nicer if they were told more like a story, but then it wouldn't be truly non-fiction as you can't truly tell it as a story without making up parts.

Which is why I love historical fiction. I recall there was this series of books called 'The Royal Diaries'. Each book was a biography of a royal (they were all female) that was told as a diary. They were fun to read. Hmm I should buy some of them, I want to read them again...


Also, is it just me, but most other book-lovers I talk to, most of them go to Borders. Am I the only one who buys all my books at Barnes and Noble?

Moderator
2257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/22/09

BlackMagic98 wrote:



Haha. I'll take that as a compliment.

Well yeah I know biographies are non-fiction, but like those, most of the ones I've come into contact with have been rather boring to read. It'd be nicer if they were told more like a story, but then it wouldn't be truly non-fiction as you can't truly tell it as a story without making up parts.

Which is why I love historical fiction. I recall there was this series of books called 'The Royal Diaries'. Each book was a biography of a royal (they were all female) that was told as a diary. They were fun to read. Hmm I should buy some of them, I want to read them again...


Also, is it just me, but most other book-lovers I talk to, most of them go to Borders. Am I the only one who buys all my books at Barnes and Noble?



Actually we don't have Barne's and Noble stores here (at least not that I am aware of). I do buy books from Angus and Robertson, however Borders has a larger range. Plus, they sell Tea and have rather comfortable leather sofa's.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.